• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time for a GOTY status update

tommib

So, we’re on the last months of the year. What would be your number 10 titles?

You can include new releases for a specific platform that were released previously. Remasters as well of course.

My top 10 at the moment:

1: Metroid Prime Remaster
2: Final Fantasy XVI
3: Armored Core 6
4: Scorn (PS5)
5: Alan Wake 2
6: Quake 2 (PS5)
7. Dead Space
8: Star Wars: Jedi Survivor
9: PARANORMASIGHT: The Seven Mysteries of Honjo
10: Resident Evil 4: Remake

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Heres my top 5:

1. Spider-man 2 (despite all the woke shit, I loved the main story)
2. Resident Evil 4 (amazing remake, excited to replay it already with its dlc).
3. Phantom Liberty (pretty much reconfirmed that CDPR are kings in storytelling/atmosphere/characters)
4. Baldurs Gate 3 (I didnt like the gameplay that much which is why its lower, but the story choices are the best there is)
5. Reserved for either Alan Wake 2/Talos Principles 2/Remnant 2/Lords of the Fallen that I have yet to play/finish until the year ends.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Impeachment Sylvia Garcia GIF by GIPHY News

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I stress that this is a rough estimate. I will vote in the last week of December. I have many games I want to play still. I may swap a few spots on some of these too.
  1. Starfield (haven't finished yet, at 315 hours)
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
  3. Jusant
  4. Cocoon
  5. Hi-Fi Rush
  6. Bayonetta Origins: Cereza and the Lost Demon
  7. Wanted: Dead
  8. Exoprimal
  9. Super Mario Wonder (haven't finished yet)
  10. Forza Motorsport (haven't finished yet)
Honorable Mention:
  • Slayers X: Terminal Aftermath: Vengeance of the Slayer
  • Octopath Traveler 2
  • Bramble
  • Fire Emblem Engage
  • Theatrhythm: Final Bar Line
  • The Making of Karateka
  • Ghostwire Tokyo (Xbox release)
  • Humanity (haven't finished yet)
Haven't played yet, but would like to:
  • Sea of Stars
  • Robocop: Rogue City
  • Shadow Gambit: The Cursed Ship
  • Alan Wake 2
  • Pikmin 4
  • Lies of P
  • Amnesia the Bunker
  • Harmony: the Fall of Reverie
  • Little Goody Two Shoes
  • Dordogne
  • Trepang2
  • Dave the Diver
  • Trombone Champ
  • Everspace 2
  • Under the Waves
  • Aliens: Dark Descent

Last edited:

SCB3

1. Tears of the Kingdom
  2. Alan Wake 2
  3. Spiderman 2
  4. Baldurs Gate 3
  5. Lies of P
  6. Starfield
  7. Mario Wonder
  8. Jedi Survivor
  9. RE4 Remake and Ada DLC
  10. Street Fighter 6
It's been a fantastic year for games and could easily do a top 20, entries 3-9 are pretty interchangeable for me in my list

Last edited:

Hugare

1. Baldurs Gate 3
2. Cyberpunk: Phantom Liberty
3. Alan Wake 2

Many good games this year, but few that were really great in my opinion.

ungalo

my GOTY would be Phantom Liberty if it was a game, but so far i don't have a real GOTY, even the first two were disappointing and don't deserve GOTY in my opinion

Top 10 games i played, in fact it's pretty much all the games i played this year, ranked, the last three are here by default they are really average :

1) Starfield
2) Zelda Tears of the Kingdom
3) Alan Wake 2
4) Hi-Fi Rush
5) Cocoon
6) Atomic Heart
7) Yakuza Ishin (if that counts)
8) Wo Long
9) Lies of P
10) Sea of Stars

only Wild Hearts can't fit, worst game i played this year, and Forza but i barely played

games that i didn't play yet and want to play : mainly Armored Core 6, Baldur's Gate 3, Final Fantasy XVI, Remnant 2

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Top 10 games I’ve played this year.

Super Mario Wonder
Zelda Tears of the Kingdom
Evil West
Diablo 4
Guardians of the Galaxy
The Last of Us Part 1 PC
Call of Duty Modern Warfare Campaign
Kena Bridge of Spirits
Spiderman Remastered PC
Warhammer Inquisitor Martyr Edition

1. Lies of P
An atmospheric Bloodborne clone set in a dystopian reimagining of the tale of Pinocchio. Its a surprisingly competent action game with higher quality production values than the game that inspired it and interesting implementations of original mechanics. Can't wait for DLC.
lies-of-p-gameplay-trailer.jpeg

2. Strangers of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin (PC)
By far the best Action RPG mechanically that I have ever played. It released last year for consoles, but wasn't ported to PC until this year. It realizes the potential of what Final Fantasy titles have been aiming to become since Final Fantasy XII. It is also a great remake of the game that started the franchise.
maxresdefault.jpg

3. Resident Evil 4 Remake (No DLC Garbage and Ada voice modded out)
A remake that sometimes misses the mark for presentation, but succeeds in delivering better designed levels, more in-depth gameplay mechanics, and a more polished experience.
06n4R7gORrJqjOk9F2XkoBX-4.fit_scale.size_1028x578.v1679059950.webp

4. Hi-Fi Rush
A fun hack and slash with a Saturday morning cartoon plot, style, and cast. Its high energy presentation reminds me of playing No More Heroes for the first time. Fortunately, it comes equiped with more advanced and polished gameplay mechanics.
HFR_Chai_Whirlwind_in-body.png

5. Hogwarts Legacy
An unexpectedly successful release with high quality production values, decent plot, and interesting characters. It offers a fun trip back to the castle in a different time period while expanding on other aspects of the wizarding world.
Screen_Shot_2022_03_17_at_5.03.39_PM.png

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Top 10 games I’ve played this year.

Super Mario Wonder
Zelda Tears of the Kingdom
Evil West
Diablo 4
Guardians of the Galaxy
The Last of Us Part 1 PC
Call of Duty Modern Warfare Campaign
Kena Bridge of Spirits
Spiderman Remastered PC
Warhammer Inquisitor Martyr Edition
I keep pushing back Evil West. Been sitting on my hard drive for too long.

I really have mainly been catching up on the past few years' games I missed so I didn't play much new shit this year.

My favorites released this year would be:

Dead Space Remake
Stasis: Bone Totem

I wanted to worship RE4 Remake because I like most other changes but my body is just allergic to the dreadful game feel in the past few Resi games.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Top 5 (no particular order)

1. Hogwarts Legacy
2. RoboCop Rogue City
3. RE4R
4. Starfield
5. Jedi Survivor

Have to finish Wonder and then Mario RPG is next week so my list is still fair game

And I still need to give BG3 a shot

And I still need to finish Atomic Heart. And FF16.

This year really sucked for videogames.

Last edited:
It took me a few stages to warm up to it, but once you’ve unlocked more of the combat abilities it really picks up.

It’s one of the those games where I felt so badass by the end that I jumped right into New Game Plus to wreck monsters right off the bat.
I tried with this game. Played it for two hours and I kind of don't get it. I was baffled by how clunky it feels coming from Arkane devs. I also can't help comparing it to Desperados III which was a 10/10 for me, phenomenal game.

Am I just approaching it wrong you think? I WANT to like this game but couldn't wrap my head around the bizarre camera and clunky-ass combat.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I tried with this game. Played it for two hours and I kind of don't get it. I was baffled by how clunky it feels coming from Arkane devs. I also can't help comparing it to Desperados III which was a 10/10 for me, phenomenal game.

Am I just approaching it wrong you think? I WANT to like this game but couldn't wrap my head around the bizarre camera and clunky-ass combat.
Evil West is different from Weird West.

FYI, Shadow Gambit came out this year from the Desperado devs.

Top Bottom