• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time for a GOTY status update

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I hope we get a better voting system this year at GAF. It was a disaster of copy/pasting with Elden Ring and Ragnarok last year since users were adding them to absurd categories. Hope the mods are listening.
I think it was primarily a few users here who put in a lot of effort. I think they had one big pool of games. To limit it per choice they'd have to customize the options for each choice, so probably a lot more work. I had the same complaint but I don't really expect it to be much different.

I'm past the point of caring who wins these things. I just like reading everyone's unique takes and maybe find a game or two I wasn't aware of.

tommib

I think it was primarily a few users here who put in a lot of effort. I think they had one big pool of games. To limit it per choice they'd have to customize the options for each choice, so probably a lot more work. I had the same complaint but I don't really expect it to be much different.

I'm past the point of caring who wins these things. I just like reading everyone's unique takes and maybe find a game or two I wasn't aware of.
If I see Spider-man 2 in a best RPG category I riot.

Mozzarella

Baldur's Gate 3
Resident Evil 4 Remake
Tears of the Kingdom
Street Fighter 6
Dead Space Remake
Lies of P

Those are my top 6 for the year, i didnt count Metroid Prime Remastered because its just a remaster, otherwise it will be number 2.

Games i didnt play: Alan Wake 2, Spiderman 2 (not into that superhero stuff, will buy it on sale, pretty sure its not going to be in the top 5), Super Mario Wonder, Starfield.
Took 2 months break, I just got back to gaming a week ago, i played and finished Lies of P and Blasphemous 2, Lies of P was fantastic, Blasphemous 2 not so much just alright.

Last edited:

Roberts

1. Starfield
2. Hi-Fi Rush
3. Resident Evil 4
4. Cocoon
5. Jusant
6. Diablo IV
7. Lies of P
8. Dead Space
8. Alan Wake 2 (despite having tons of issues with it)
9. Sea of Thieves: The Legend of Monkey Island
10. Ghostwire Tokyo

HM: Miasma Chronicles, Dredge, Benedict Fox, Atomic Heart, Boltgun, Loop Hero, Planet of Lana, Ravenlok.

Really want to play BG3. I'm thinking of borrowing Switch from a friend just to play TOTK. I will at some buy Hogwart's, Jedi 2, Robocop, Talos 2 and Dead island 2 on discount. I also want to dig deep into both xbox releases of Age of Empires but I need a more relaxed, carefree time to do.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
GOTY 2023: Armored Core 6
thread/
We are done here…
giphy.gif
ryan-reynolds-putting-on-sunglasses-skh6dzhy8qztxocg.webp

Diablo IV
Mario Wonder
Forza Motorsport
Starfield
Dredge (not sure when this came out)
Dave the Diver
Sea of Stars
Dreamlight Valley (never played it, but wife's favorite game ever, honorary inclusion)

Hoping to get Hogwarts in a sale, might make the list.
Waiting on Xbox for BG3 but expect that to be on here if I get it (depends on price/sale/Game Pass)
If they discount Spider-Man 2 I might get that as well, but seriously doubt I will rate it too highly.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
1. Starfield
2. Hi-Fi Rush
3. Resident Evil 4
4. Cocoon
5. Jusant
6. Diablo IV
7. Lies of P
8. Dead Space
8. Alan Wake 2 (despite having tons of issues with it)
9. Sea of Thieves: The Legend of Monkey Island
10. Ghostwire Tokyo

HM: Miasma Chronicles, Dredge, Benedict Fox, Atomic Heart, Boltgun, Loop Hero, Planet of Lana, Ravenlok.

Really want to play BG3. I'm thinking of borrowing Switch from a friend just to play TOTK. I will at some buy Hogwart's, Jedi 2, Robocop, Talos 2 and Dead island 2 on discount. I also want to dig deep into both xbox releases of Age of Empires but I need a more relaxed, carefree time to do.
Age of Empires 2 is great. The mistake I made is playing a decent chunk of it and then stopping. Once you learn the rhythm of the game and the controls, you shouldn't stop. I probably need to start over now to get the tutorials again.

Roberts

Age of Empires 2 is great. The mistake I made is playing a decent chunk of it and then stopping. Once you learn the rhythm of the game and the controls, you shouldn't stop. I probably need to start over now to get the tutorials again.
Haha, that is so true. I didn't even get that far. Did the tutorial and then some - I was like:"this totally works with a controller, it is great but I can't really commit to it now. Some other time" and I just know that I will have to redo the tutorial.

BTW, I was a bit disappointed with Amnesia: The Bunker. It has Alien Isolation DNA in it, which I absolutely adored but somehow this one didn't click for me and a certain gameplay mechanic got me all frustrated to a point where I just gave up.

Last edited:
Zelda: TotK still far ahead of everything else I played and I don't see it being dethroned.

Other highlights include Metroid Prime Remastered, Theatrhythm: Final Bar Line, Sea of Stars, and Dave the Diver. Super Mario RPG is gonna be grand next week, but I know pretty what to expect.

Fredrik

Hogwarts Legacy (hope its not forgotten since it came out forever ago)
Now imagine if it was released in december 2022…

Seriously, for me it’s hard to take this event seriously when the cutoff date is late november. It’s so dumb. It’s really just a PR jippo, timed to help Christmas sales or whatever. Anything released after nov 17 is apparently regarded as a 2024 game this time.
And now I wish Calisto Protocol would win something this year just to highlight the absurdity, or High on Life.

Now imagine if it was released in december 2022…

Seriously, for me it’s hard to take this event seriously when the cutoff date is late november. It’s so dumb. It’s really just a PR jippo, timed to help Christmas sales or whatever. Anything released after nov 17 is apparently regarded as a 2024 game this time.
And now I wish Calisto Protocol would win something this year just to highlight the absurdity, or High on Life.

Smash Bros. Ultimate was nominated for GOTY and won best fighting game at TGA 2019 despite releasing in December 2018, so it's not unprecedented.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I only have a Switch, for me it's TotK. Game gives you so many wow, ah-ha, brain fart moments that are really out worldly. It was so great to come back to Hyrule and find out what's new, some places even felt nostalgic in a way.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I still have some time to finish a handful of games, so not sure about GOTY yet. But it’ll be either RE4 or System Shock.

Disappointment of the year is set already for sure though: STARFIELD.

Bought the figgin Xbox for this. MS better deliver deliver one food banger for this thing.

KiteGr

1. Baldur's Gate 3
  2. Lies of P
  3. God of War Ragnarock
  4. Resident Evil 4 remake
  5. Hifi Rush
  6. Dead Space remake
  7. Armored Core 6
  8. Hogwarts Legacy
  9. Street Fighter 6
  10. Some Nintendo game...

tommib

A lot of people selecting Lies of P and one of my best friends said it’s the best souls-clone out there by a long shot.

Added to wishlist. I was totally wrong about the quality of this game, apparently.

R6Rider

Gold Member
A lot of people selecting Lies of P and one of my best friends said it’s the best souls-clone out there by a long shot.

Added to wishlist. I was totally wrong about the quality of this game, apparently.
Lies of P is better than some From Soft games for me. Just got to understand the parry system is different.

S0ULZB0URNE

Not sure but these are the ones I enjoyed the most thus far.

Lords of the Fallen
Diablo 4
Remnant 2
Street Fighter 6
Baldur's Gate 3

Ones that I need more time with....
Zelda TOK
Spider-Man 2
Super Mario Wonder
Alan Wake 2
CP 2077 DLC

Last edited:

dDoc

1. Baldurs Gate 3
2. Re4make
3. Dead Space

Jury's still out for the rest, but those are my top 3.

Drizzlehell

Banned
If we don't count remakes of games that were already good but came out years ago, then I can't think of a single title that I played that would completely blow me away. I still haven't touched many of the games that came out this year, though, simply because I didn't care.

That said, the three of my favourite games that came out this year were:
Resident Evil 4
Dead Space
System Shock

An honourable mention goes to Jedi Survivor, although I wasn't as impressed with it as I was with the first game. I played through Fallen Order like four times and I still think that it's a fantastic game but with Survivor, I just didn't have any motivation to go back and revisit it.

Immortals of Aveum and Armored Core 6 were also pretty good.

Last edited:
Baldur's Gate will win if there's justice in this world. But Nintendo bonus is strong so it will likely be TotK.

My personal list which is why top 3 is more about how I really enjoyed them rather then their more objective merits.
1. Armored Core 6
2. Phantom Liberty (expansion so maybe it doesn't count)
3. World of Assassination (I'm not sure if this really counts as a 2023 release)
4. Baldur's Gate 3
5. Tears of the Kingdom
6. Jedi Survivor
7. Hogwarts Legacy
8. Starfield (carried almost entirely by my interest in the setting)

honorable mentions: Hi-Fi Rush, Everspace 2, Dave the Diver, Pizza Tower, Brotato

Yet to play Mario Wonder, Alan Wake 2, RE4, Dead Space, Robocop. I never really got all the hype over RE4 even back in 6th gen.
Can't really comment on PS5 exclusives like Spider-man 2 or FFXVI since I don't have the console.

Last edited:

swaffles23

1. FINAL FANTASY XVI
2. Super Mario Wonder
3. Resident Evil 4

I'm still in the middle of Wonder so it could slide to 1st. Haven't really played many of the other games

Top Bottom