• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titan submarine for Titanic tourism - Nightmare fuel

Buggy Loop

5 missing peoples

The list of "nope" is too big to even think about

23njh8j2qz6b1.jpg

• The company's website describes it as a "Once in a lifetime opportunity"
  • He controls the thing with a Logitech gamepad :messenger_tears_of_joy:
  • Carbon fiber shell. That's a bold fucking move for these depths. At 12500 feet below sea level... They have a way to monitor the shell integrity to monitor any failure points.
  • The entry is bolted in from the outside. There's no escape!
    • Even if you wanted, at these depths, you wouldn't even budge the door, and there's no chance of living on the other side
    • But if they were to have surfaced since the incident, you're stuck in a capsule with no way out until they find you.. a little sub in the middle of nowhere.
  • $250,000 for a ticket! 5 can fit in that claustrophobic capsule
  • Titan to explore Titanic shipwreck - What could go wrong
  • Experimental vessel, not been approved by any regulatory body
  • 12500 feet below sea level where Titanic is found. That's 6000 PSI. 6000 LBS of pressure for every square inch of the shell.
    • If water were to penerate the shell, the water pressure would be enough to cut the peoples inside like a hot knife through butter
    • Likely it's instant shell implosion, turning everyone inside to paste
  • They have 96 hours of oxygen supply for 5 persons
  • Any sub that would be able to reach it, if they can even find them, there's no connection chambers to transfer passengers
List of passengers known so far :
Hamish Harding - UK Billionaire
Stockton Rush, CEO of the OceanGate exhibition
Shahzada Dawood and his son Suleman - Chairman to one of Pakistan's largest conglomerates, Engro corp.
Paul-Henri Nargeolet - 77 year-old French explorer. Director of the underwater research at a company that owns the rights to the Titanic wreck (because of course the wreck will have capitalists interests)

What likely happened :

But with red paste

e9d7f99ab9fa767eeb07faf888e44322.gif

RIP (most likely)

Last edited:

Stitch

Gold Member

There is a small toilet in Titan’s front dome, the website continues. It “doubles as the best seat in the house. When the toilet is in use, we install a privacy curtain between the dome and the main compartment and turn the music up loud.”

Poo Pooping GIF

phaedrus

Shahzada Dawood and his son Suleman - Chairman to one of Pakistan's largest conglomerates, Engro corp.
Paul-Henri Nargeolet - 77 year-old French explorer. Director of the underwater research at a company that owns the rights to the Titanic wreck (because of course the wreck will have capitalists interests)

Episode 2 Whatever GIF

clarky

Gold Member
Can't see them being alive unfortunately. I think the sub has an auto surface safety feature after 24hrs so if they are not bobbing about up top, then they ain't getting rescued.

GymWolf

5 missing peoples

The list of "nope" is too big to even think about

23njh8j2qz6b1.jpg

• The company's website describes it as a "Once in a lifetime opportunity"
  • He controls the thing with a Logitech gamepad :messenger_tears_of_joy:
  • Carbon fiber shell. That's a bold fucking move for these depths. At 12500 feet below sea level... They have a way to monitor the shell integrity to monitor any failure points.
  • The entry is bolted in from the outside. There's no escape!
    • Even if you wanted, at these depths, you wouldn't even budge the door, and there's no chance of living on the other side
    • But if they were to have surfaced since the incident, you're stuck in a capsule with no way out until they find you.. a little sub in the middle of nowhere.
  • $250,000 for a ticket! 5 can fit in that claustrophobic capsule
  • Titan to explore Titanic shipwreck - What could go wrong
  • Experimental vessel, not been approved by any regulatory body
  • 12500 feet below sea level where Titanic is found. That's 6000 PSI. 6000 LBS of pressure for every square inch of the shell.
    • If water were to penerate the shell, the water pressure would be enough to cut the peoples inside like a hot knife through butter
    • Likely it's instant shell implosion, turning everyone inside to paste
  • They have 96 hours of oxygen supply for 5 persons
  • Any sub that would be able to reach it, if they can even find them, there's no connection chambers to transfer passengers

What likely happened :

But with red paste

e9d7f99ab9fa767eeb07faf888e44322.gif

RIP (most likely)

This sound like a plot for a great horror movie.

Yeah, fuck that!!
I can barely get on a plane these day lol.

So let me get this straight, a bunch of rich people want to see the titanic in person and something goes wrong (maybe karma) and now they want a US Navy Nuclear Submarine to go fetch them??

Lasha

SJRB

Gold Member
Strong Darwin Award 2023 contenders.

I love the part where the dude basically says submarines are way too complicated and he brought everything down to one button. And then proceeds to show how he got parts for his submarine from a camping store. And then pulls out a fucking Logitech 20-year-old xbox controller and proudly says he controls the entire submarine with that thing.

And people still paid 250,000 to get on board with this guy.

Imagine paying 250k to die in one of the worst ways imaginable.

That said, this isn't the worst Darwin Award contender I've heard this month. That kid that jumped off a party boat into shark infested waters is going into the annals of Darwin Award history.

Ownage

Poseidon reached up and dragged them into the grave.

And they were bolted inside! Bolted inside. No way out, even if they surface, they're still stuck until they have the right gear to unseal the hatch.

Some of the ballast is abandoned construction pipes that are sitting on shelves on the side of the thing, and the way you detach the ballast is you get everybody onboard to lean to one side of the sub and they roll off.

Nope.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Imagine paying 250k to die in one of the worst ways imaginable.

That said, this isn't the worst Darwin Award contender I've heard this month. That kid that jumped off a party boat into shark infested waters is going into the annals of Darwin Award history.
wait what?
sorry to speak ill of the dead but
just saw that sorry but the kid should of done this
The Office Dwight GIF

there is a shark on the video in the water

also with that sub you can't stand up or walk around or anything screw that nope not at all

Last edited:

Dural

Some are saying they got stuck in the wreckage and the sub has 96 hours of air, so there's hope they're still alive. I just wonder how fast anything could realistically get there to go down to try and rescue them.

clarky

Gold Member
Strong Darwin Award 2023 contenders.

I love the part where the dude basically says submarines are way too complicated and he brought everything down to one button. And then proceeds to show how he got parts for his submarine from a camping store. And then pulls out a fucking Logitech 20-year-old xbox controller and proudly says he controls the entire submarine with that thing.

And people still paid 250,000 to get on board with this guy.
Was just going to post, the thing is controlled by an xbox controller, probably an elite series 2 bumper stopped working and fucked them

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Some are saying they got stuck in the wreckage and the sub has 96 hours of air, so there's hope they're still alive. I just wonder how fast anything could realistically get there to go down to try and rescue them.
No chance of being rescued at that depth in what 48 hours? Impossible unfortunately.

clarky

Gold Member
Th
I was thinking get them unstuck, then maybe the sub could resurface on it's own or it could be towed up. Time would really be the biggest issue I'd think being so far out to sea.
They were talking about a tow on the news. trying to get a cable down there at what 4000m ? Doesn't seems likely.

I think if they are alive, then time like you say is their biggest threat because they dont have very much.

Fucking idiotic idea if you ask me. How are these people so rich but so stupid at the same time?

Last edited:

DosGamer

First off... my thoughts and prayers with the family members of the individuals on this submarine as well as the individuals themselves. This is one of the most gut wrenching ways to go that I can think of.

Best case scenario is the sub got to the surface and is bobbing in the waves waiting to be located thus saving all souls on board... if its found in the next 40 hours.

Worst case is they are cramped and suffocating miles below the surface and will slowly meet their end.

Probable case is that it imploded due to some sort of malfunction or design/ age flaw. If this happened, their death was soo quick, they would not have had time to realize it.

just horrible to think about. This is the type of movie they can make ... that induces instant anxiety.

BossLackey

Gold Member
I've been following this story very closely. This disaster was an eventuality and they're almost certainly dead.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I don't recall hearing they have resources like that, all i've heard is oxygen for 96 hours.
shit, so no kind of disaster recover or emergency things? man no the more I read watch hear about this sub, the more it seems like a dumb dumb idea

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
This is the controller they used to maneuver the sub

maxresdefault.jpg
I think that was susceptible to right stick drift. Rescue ship should start there.

The more this goes on, the more likely it was an implosion imo. No texts, no comms - how far would they be down after 1hr 45m. Isn't it like 8 hours to the bottom? I'm sure they have something like an hourly check in.

Seems like some basic ideas could have added some safeguards tho. Like a fluorescent dye that could float to the top.

Sybrix

shit, so no kind of disaster recover or emergency things? man no the more I read watch hear about this sub, the more it seems like a dumb dumb idea

It has weights on it that can be jettisoned to bring the sub back to the surface but if its wedged in somewhere that wont make a difference.

First thing they need to do is locate it, once its located they could possibly deploy another sub to get it or drop some sort of crane to get it but that's if they find it, plus they have to find it within the next 24 hours or so to even have a hope of their being survivors.

Top Bottom