• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall 2 console servers are working. This is not a drill. The best multiplayer shooter of the last 10 years is playable again.

Dr. Suchong

I see tf2 for literally pennies for Ps4 at my local Cex.
Is it worth a punt for the campaign?
Is it necessary to play the first, first?

Last edited:

Zuzu

If you like Call of Duty style campaigns then this is worth it and it's better than the majority of COD campaigns. It's even a bit like Half Life in giving you interesting gameplay scenarios to play through. So it's campaign is kind of a synthesis of COD & Half Life with the addition of mech combat (which still plays quite similarly to on-foot first person scenarios). The first one didn't have a campaign so no you don't need to play it.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
The game is worth it for the campaign alone. The character dynamic between the main protag and the robot is done really well and genuinely made me care about both of them, the gameplay is smooth and fun AF, it has really great and creative set pieces. Honestly, if Doom didn't came out that same year, Titanfall 2 would easily be the best FPS of 2016.

You also don't need to play the first one because the original TF didn't even have a proper campaign. Even though it's a sequel, it's the first (and so far the only) time this series got any actual story mode so you'll be fine just playing this.

Last edited:

Yes, one of the best FPS campaigns of all time. And no, you don’t need to play the first at all. The first is a multiplayer “campaign”.

Though the first is worth playing just because the MP is way better than the second, but it’s probably deserted.

dorkimoe

if it was the best it never woulda died to begin with. Single player is fantastic, multiplayer has always been dead

I loved the less elaborate nature of the first game, like how everyone gets the same Titan and it's down to your skill with using it in order to play well.

TF2 is equally as sick from a gameplay perspective but I just wish there wasn't so many titans. I still love it though. Always up for a sick extraction from the drop ship. That'll get your heart pumping.

Does anyone know if TF1 is active/playable?

RickMasters

Really is my fave MP shooter in the last 10 years. I’ll never understand how people never stuck at the multiplayer. It was as balanced and polished and tight as anything you could ever hope for in an MP game. Better than CODs MP in every single way.

Time to make my return I guess! 😉🎮

I loved the less elaborate nature of the first game, like how everyone gets the same Titan and it's down to your skill with using it in order to play well.

TF2 is equally as sick from a gameplay perspective but I just wish there wasn't so many titans. I still love it though. Always up for a sick extraction from the drop ship. That'll get your heart pumping.

Does anyone know if TF1 is active/playable?

I don’t know, haven’t played it in awhile. Last I played it was still pretty active, and I only play Last Titan Standing. The Attrition mode was always more popular and had more players.

The first MP is so much better than the second. They went way too casual CoD friendly with the sequel. The fact that titans are invincible during executions still blows my mind years later.

AdamTank83

Neo Member
I don’t know, haven’t played it in awhile. Last I played it was still pretty active, and I only play Last Titan Standing. The Attrition mode was always more popular and had more players.

The first MP is so much better than the second. They went way too casual CoD friendly with the sequel. The fact that titans are invincible during executions still blows my mind years later.
Umm, I was killed multiple times while executing other titans from my titan. It's been a while but I'm pretty sure you can stop executions. Maybe I'm wrong. I don't know.
Titanfall is best fps campaign ever outside of halo combat evolved to me.

Last edited:

Oh wow I actually didn't know that about TF2.

But yea TF1 was just more gritty and simple. Kind of like CoD4 which is no surprise since the same person made both.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Never played the first one online and only a few hours of 2 online. It was okay, but I love TF2 for its campaign.

bender

What time is it?

The first doesn't have a campaign, I believe. As someone who grew up on FPS and later find himself tired of the genre, TF2 was a breath of fresh air. I'm not sure it does anything all that original, but what it does do is give you tight campaign (6-7 Hours) with a ton of variety so any gimmick that is thrown at you never overstays its' welcome.

Top Bottom