• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

To which streaming services are you subscribed? And are you thinking of canceling any of your subscriptions?

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I'm currently subscribed to the following streaming services:

01. Netflix ($15.99)
02. DC Universe ($7.99)
03. HBO Max ($14.99)
04. Starz - ($8.99) [Amazon Prime Video]
05. Showtime - ($0.99) [Amazon Prime Video]
06. Lifetime Movie Club (a guilty pleasure) - ($3.99) [Amazon Prime Video]

Now that Netflix has lost most third-party content and is comprised of mainly originally produced content, the library has become unappealing to me. Most of its original content is either foreign (to the United States) and therefore requires me to either watch it with subtitles or with very poor audio dubs, neither of which I like. As for the content that's natively in English, it's a hit or miss; for example, I think that Stranger Things is great, that The Witcher and Extraction are okay, but think that the recently released Old Guard is pretty bad. Furthermore, there are long stretches of time between the releases of their content that I actually like. Hence, I'm thinking of canceling my subscription.

I only recently resubscribed to DC Universe to watch the second season of Harley Quinn and to watch Superman: Red Son; I wish that DC would revive Swamp Thing, and I don't care for Titans or Doom Patrol.

I've burned through all of the movies that I wanted to watch on Starz and Showtime, which leaves their original shows, which I'll check out.

As for HBO Max, like Starz and Showtime, I've burned through all of the movies that I wanted to see that are on the service. I watched them via my subscription to regular HBO via Amazon Prime Video before switching to HBO Max on my PlayStation 4 Pro; HBO Max is not available via Amazon Prime Video...yet.

However, I also burned through all of the shows that I wanted to watch that are on the service, such as Game of Thrones, Euphoria, and Westworld. I'm going to try out Perry Mason to hopefully continue getting my money's worth.

What about you all?

Netflix 4k, amazon prime, Disney+. If something isn't there then I'll rent from amazon or Microsoft or visit my friends at 1337x and "borrow" it from there if renting isn't possible.

Mihos

Gold Member
Netflix and the Disney+/ESPN+/Hulu combo

I get HBO max and Amazon Prime video for free through other stuff.

Probably getting rid of Netflix soon

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Netflix and the Disney+/ESPN+/Hulu combo

I get HBO max and Amazon Prime video for free through other stuff.

Probably getting rid of Netflix soon
Netflix, and amazon, but amazon is free for me.

Really considering cancelling netflix, it's pretty crappy these days.

Wow, so I'm not the only one who's become dissatisfied with Netflix. I wonder what percentage of Netflix subscribers are thinking of canceling their subscriptions and how that will bode for Netflix's viability in the long term.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Netflix 4k, amazon prime, Disney+. If something isn't there then I'll rent from amazon or Microsoft or visit my friends at 1337x and "borrow" it from there if renting isn't possible.

I intend to resubscribe to Disney+ when the second season of The Mandalorian is released, as well as Wanda Vision and Falcon and The Winter Soldier.

Greedings

Wow, so I'm not the only one who's become dissatisfied with Netflix. I wonder what percentage of Netflix subscribers are thinking of canceling their subscriptions and how that will bode for Netflix's viability in the long term.
The problem most people I've asked have with netflix is that they dropped a ton of stuff for "netflix originals"

Some are decent, but the vast majority are awful. Terrible writing, terrible acting, just rushed and sometimes unwatchable.

I don't know how wide spread that feeling is, but among my friends it's pretty common.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
The problem most people I've asked have with netflix is that they dropped a ton of stuff for "netflix originals"

Some are decent, but the vast majority are awful. Terrible writing, terrible acting, just rushed and sometimes unwatchable.

I don't know how wide spread that feeling is, but among my friends it's pretty common.

That's exactly how I feel. Most of the content is mediocre. Have you watched The Old Guard yet?

Nymphae

Banned
Amazon Prime, and I wouldn't even have that if it wasn't for the main Amazon Prime perks I actually have the sub for.

I went to check out something on Family Guy last night on Netflix (Dad's account), and they only have like season 9-something? lmfao why do people like this trash tier service

Calcium

Banned
Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime and HBO Max. I'm about ready to ditch Netflix and if I wasn't getting Amazon and HBO Max for free they'd be gone as well.

Calcium

Banned
Why are you dissatisfied with these services? Do you even care for TV anymore?

Amazon has a pretty lame selection of movies and I've never been interested in their original programming.

HBO Max has a few movies I'll get around to watching, but overall I don't feel it's worth another subscription so if it wasn't free I'd pass.

Netflix Originals are mostly obnoxiously woke so I'd never bother with them. At this point I'm just waiting for the Masters of the Universe projects they have coming out to see what happens there.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Amazon has a pretty lame selection of movies and I've never been interested in their original programming.

HBO Max has a few movies I'll get around to watching, but overall I don't feel it's worth another subscription so if it wasn't free I'd pass.

Netflix Originals are mostly obnoxiously woke so I'd never bother with them. At this point I'm just waiting for the Masters of the Universe projects they have coming out to see what happens there.

So, have you considered other streaming services?

Fbh

Pretty much just Netflix and I only have it permanently because my mom uses my account often.

I pay for a couple of months of the other services when there's something that interests me. Like I'll go back to Prime for the Boys S2, maybe check out some other stuff and then I'll unsubscribe

johntown

Banned
Sling Blue that I split with my brother. Leech on my family's Netflix account and I have a massive Vudu an Amazon library that negates the need for any other streaming service as I am my own streaming service.

Would do a free trial of Disney+ just to binge The Mandalorian and then dump it. I do the same for other exclusive content wait for the season to fully release and then either do a free trial or binge watch for a month and then quit.

crumbs

Currently:
Amazon Prime Video - Haven't used this much lately, but they do have an OK selection of older films.
Crunchyroll

Cancelled:
Netflix - Cancelled a few years ago when I realized I hadn't watched anything on their service for 4-5 months. Most of their original programming was mediocre.
Hulu - Cancelled when they lost the Criterion movies.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Currently:
Amazon Prime Video - Haven't used this much lately, but they do have an OK selection of older films.
Crunchyroll

Cancelled:
Netflix - Cancelled a few years ago when I realized I hadn't watched anything on their service for 4-5 months. Most of their original programming was mediocre.
Hulu - Cancelled when they lost the Criterion movies.

Are you subscribed to any channels via Amazon Prime Video, such as HBO, Starz, and Cinemax? Have you considered doing so?

-Arcadia-

Banned
Prime Video
Disney+
Netflix

Prime will stay because it's just a bundle of benefits that seems to improve things for me no matter what I'm doing.

The other two... let's just say Disney needs more actual content, and Netflix needs actual content standards. These two have been hanging by a thread for me, for months.

Not too hot on any of them, tbh. If it isn't some woke programming attempt, it seems like quality is generally through the floor, either in exclusive shows, or diversity and quality of content.

The last thing I enjoyed was Upload on Prime, which despite being as woke as it gets for a few scenes, was a really lovable, cool, funny story. That was months ago, with months before that.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
Netflix espn+ Hulu I wanna get rid of them but I know I'll just keep coming back. B!tchas$ Disney took all the Simpsons off of the fxapp that I was able to use through my bros cable subscription service and they don't even play old family guys anymore on their fxx channels just reruns of the latest seasons it's unbelievable !! That Disney fox deal screwed everything up :messenger_pouting: I also have access to my bros amazon prime service don't really use that one much.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Too many, considering I only watch maybe three or four hours worth of movies, shows, etc a week. I prefer to play games, read, and bullshit on the web. The thing is, each has certain shows I really like that aren't found anywhere else, even if it takes me like six months to get through about five episodes of each. And though I barely see my girlfriend during this quarantine, she uses all of them via my subscriptions.

Amazon (no additional subscribed channels)
Apple TV+ (I got this free for about a year and half when I purchased an new iPhone and Macbook in the same week)
Disney+
Hulu+
HBO Max
Netflix

Edit: I forgot to mention, I will probably axe Hulu+ a few days before it renews. Due to the pandemic they haven't really put out any new content in a long while. Besides, if it goes under, most of that shit will just end up on Disney+.

Last edited:

J-Roderton

Does F1 tv have any good content besides the live races? Thinking about trying it out. Don’t think there is a trial though.

Joe T.

Regular ol' HBO which comes bundled with Crave, six channels including Showtime content, and only because they were practically handed to me for free for two years.

The golden age of TV has come and gone as far as I'm concerned. I need more shows like Sopranos, The Wire, The Shield, Breaking Bad, Shameless (US), Silicon Valley or Game of Thrones to get me interested again, but today's climate of political correctness and intimidation suffocates creativity so I'm not holding my breath.

xrnzaaas

Currently none except for a local sports streaming service I use to watch Formula 1. I will sub to Amazon for a month or two around September to watch The Boys S2, Bosch S6, The Man in the High Castle S4 and probably a few other tv shows.

Last edited:

MastAndo

Netflix, Amazon and Hulu. I'm thinking of dumping Hulu, as I mostly just used it to binge Seinfeld during the quarantine, with some Nathan for You episodes here and there.

kunonabi

Netflix
Amazon Prime
Hulu
Crunchyroll
WWE Network
NJPWorld

Pretty much it although I have been meaning to get a Shudder subscription.

Quasicat

I subscribed to Disney+ for a few months, but the thing is, I have so many videos already that I just want to watch those. The kids really got into Ducktales and Rescue Rangers, but I already have those as well. As long as I have my old videos, I’m good. That being said...when Mandalorean and Muppets Now come out, I will subscribe for a month and then back out again.

HF2014

Well, in Canada, there isnt much. Netflix good enough for me. Amazon Prime is crap, Crave, to get better content you have to pay double for HBO at 20$ a month, there is Apple and Disney but got no interest, not enough content so it worth a monthly sub. I will probably get a month of Disney when Mandalorian season 2 is coming out, this tv show was amazing, finally something that felt Star Wars.

joe_zazen

and when they do have a good show like santa clarita diet, they drop it after two seasons.

dorkimoe

Netflix 4k
hulu live (when baseball returns)
hbo max free with att cell plan
prime- would never pay for this separate but it comes with the shipping
Disney plus cancelled, it offers nothing

WWE Network
NJPW
Netflix
Hulu
Amazon Prime Video
Disney+
Crunchyroll
HBO Max

Starz and Showtime from logging in through my cable provider. I've been thinking about ditching Disney+. I wanted to watch cartoons I haven't seen in forever. I think I'm done with it. Netflix is another I'm looking at. Their originals are mostly shit and I only watch a few TV shows and movies.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Netflix
Amazon
CuriosityStream - cancelled

I love the idea of a streaming service for science, nature, history documentaries but I quickly discovered that I could exhaust the good content within a week. And the good content wasn't even that good. Just good enough to be on Discovery Channel randomly playing before they turned into whatever it is they turned into. I still have it currently because i paid for a year.

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
Netflix - $0
Amazon Prime - $0
Hulu Unlimited - $0
Disney+ - $0
BalkaniYum - $0

$0 a Year. :)
other family members pay for everything.

I have netflix, prime, and disney+. I pay $4 for netflix per month after spilt , prime is free for me and i also spilt disney + with 4 other so it is pretty cheap

Top Bottom