• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TOCA Race Driver 2006 screens

Mine :D

68641rp.jpg

45924nk.jpg

01458oh.jpg

99499nx.jpg

How have they got the Williams formula one car though, don't Sony have a complete lock down on the sport? Is the f1 contract up for any developer now, where's Geoff Crammond? :D

mrklaw

MrArseFace
99499nx.jpg

Motorstorm still not doable on PS3?

Yes, I know its probably cleaned up, but its still from current gen PC.

14th July 2005
Real racing in real racing cars - only the best set for TOCA Race Driver 3

If variety is the spice of life, then TOCA Race Driver 3 will get any racing gamer hot under the helmet: it’s going be crammed some of the world’s greatest real racing cars when it launches in February 2006 for PlayStation 2, Xbox and PC.

In TOCA Race Driver 3 you’ll be competing over 100 individual championships covering 35 different racing disciplines - that’s more than any other racing game has ever offered. Forget modded cars, forget streetcars, forget fictional racecars, just jump straight into some of the world’s most exciting real competition cars - both modern and historic.

TOCA Race Driver 3’s career disciplines cover GT, Off Road, Touring Cars, Historic, Open Wheel, Rally and Oval and you can jump in and out of each one as you choose. The game’s sublime, authentic handling engine will give you the nuances of racing every individual car, providing for a huge range of different racing experiences.

You’ll also see how a specific racecar type has evolved through history, from the most technically advanced modern cars to historic classics, when victory really was all down to the driver’s skill.

TOCA Race Driver 3 will bring you some of the greatest cars that have competed in F1 races and you’ll experience how handling and technology has evolved and changed over the years.

From the most modern BMW WilliamsF1 Team car, through to Damon Hills’ championship winning FW18 of the 1990s, Nelson Piquet’s classic FW11b of the ‘80s, the Lotus 49 of the ‘60s right back to the Mercedes-Benz W25 Silver Arrow of the ‘30s when it was it was all about the most powerful engine on the lightest car with the fewest technical aids, being driven by the greatest driver.

There’s real race content from the US too, including the Dodge Charger that’s new on the NASCAR circuits this year. Alternatively, try the open-wheel endurance with the IndyCar Series championship cars at Indianapolis.

Other key international race competitions, featuring all the real racecars, include Germany’s DTM and Australia’s V8 Supercars series. Both championships will feature the 2005 season, complete with car set-ups, practice sessions, and qualifying races.

For a change of pace and exhilaration, try the 4x4 Monster Series with their huge, air-filled, 1.5m tyres, 4WD steering and low-end torque that’ll let you pull wheelies from the start! Similar racing, on a smaller scale, is found when you take the Baja Beetles off road. In a white-knuckle ride across the dirt tracks, there are plenty of jumps that really send the Bajas flying!

There’s also plenty to show off your technical racing skills, especially with F3, Formula BMW and the Formula Palmer Audi with its turbo boost function that delivers an extra whack of 50bph to the engine! Though use the turbo tactically to overtake or achieve a fastest lap time - it lasts just 8 seconds and you can only use it 8 times in a race.

With over 40 championship circuits, you’ll be racing some of the greatest cars on the greatest tracks - sometimes taking them to an unusual location. How about taking a V8 car out of Australia and race its 5.0 Litre engine at the Nurburgring or taking a TVR from the British GT out east and racing it at the Shanghai International Circuit?!

With so many different racing experiences and real racing cars, TOCA Race Driver 3 is revving up for a release in February 2006 on PlayStation 2, Xbox and PC. Get yourself in the driving seat with more online at www.codemasters.co.uk/tocaracedriver3.

Damn, that's a lot of open wheel loving right there by Codemasters. Best racing game this generation, without a doubt.
coolgleama5lb.gif

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
mrklaw said:
99499nx.jpg

Motorstorm still not doable on PS3?

Yes, I know its probably cleaned up, but its still from current gen PC.

There is still a pretty big difference. That MotorStorm demo looked as impressive as it did not simply due to model details. There was a lot more going on...
99499nx.jpg

928393_20050516_screen003.jpg

928393_20050516_screen001.jpg

Though, now that I look at those shots, they really do seem possible.

Also, that F1 shot is beautiful. Compares pretty well with the F1 PS3 demo. Shots like this really give me some faith in those PS3 demos and their reality. I mean, we all know PS2 outdid its demos...and all of them seemed impossible at the time. When a next generation machine shows up, I WANT to question the reality of its abilities and then have it exceed any expectations I had.

45924nk.jpg

928392_20050516_screen001.jpg

Gek54

They start with the PS2 limitations and then add a little where they can to the xbox and PC versions. The quality of these screens are not any better than the first Pro Race Driver PR images.

dark10x

Gek54 said:
They start with the PS2 limitations and then add a little where they can to the xbox and PC versions. The quality of these screens are not any better than the first Pro Race Driver PR images.

45924nk.jpg

sim-proracedriver-0004.jpg

dark10x

I dunno, that red X doesn't look all that impressive. Even worse, it's only running at 28x30 resolution...

Ranger X

Trojan X said:
928393_20050516_screen003.jpg

Yes, I really believe in this screenshot. :rolleyes:

I don't know what you will believe if you don't believe in those shots. I mean, look at that yellow truck and see how it can be in-game graphic. It's no way CG. The textures are almost blurry and it's pretty jagged. And not all that high polys.
My bet is that this shit is indeed running real time.
928393_20050516_screen001.jpg

dark10x

Just for the record, I never suggested that those Motorstorm shots were realtime...

I do, however, believe they could be possible. They appear to be pre-rendered, but based upon actual assets created for the game.

The only thing I find really hard to beleive about the Motorstorm stuff is the crash physics. The way the car breaks apart just looks a bit TOO good, to me. The rest I have no real problem with. Perhaps the backgrounds are a bit far fetched in some cases(they appear to be more detailed than the cars in some cases), but the more I look at it, the more I think that the general gist of Motorstorm is pretty doable.

Man, whatever Codemasters is doing for lighting...they need to share with everyone else, cause the way the light shimmers off of those F1 type cars is amazing.

Ranger X

How many screenshots to make you realise people that screens are taken directly from the engines nowaday and also running at maximum? Those TOCA 2006 shots are not what you're going to see on your TV but maybe in high def on your extremely expensive monitor while playing the PC version.

The PS2 version will look ace of course. For PS2. Take those screens here, put the resolution down a little and had some nice jaggies.

Wyzdom said:
How many screenshots to make you realise people that screens are taken directly from the engines nowaday and also running at maximum? Those TOCA 2006 shots are not what you're going to see on your TV but maybe in high def on your extremely expensive monitor while playing the PC version.

The PS2 version will look ace of course. For PS2. Take those screens here, put the resolution down a little and had some nice jaggies.

Pretty much. I gotta say the lighting and coloring in this pic is freakin' fantastic!

8042.jpg

Ranger X

HomerSimpson-Man said:
Pretty much. I gotta say the lighting and coloring in this pic is freakin' fantastic!

It's also very common that the palette is retouched a bit. I wouldn't be surprised it's retouched here as it is in so many screenshots in the last years.

Shinobi

PG2G said:
Why the hell isn't this coming to X360? Make it 720p and it would look incredible.

They've been kinda coy about a 360 version, which doesn't neccessarily mean one is on the way. But if it is, it would be wise for them to protect the sales current gen versions.

I imagine PS3 and 360 will get TOCA 2K7 about a year from now...it'll certainly show it's face at E3. But

belgurdo said:
Argh, I came...

If my monitor has babies, you're paying the child support

:lol

PG2G said:
I thought we all learned how things worked with TOCA screens.

Why does this still get dragged on? The XBox versions of the games looked just as good as the screenshots, the sequel still holding the crown of the best looking (and best playing) racer ever. TOCA 1 on PS2 was defintely a scam, but TOCA2 was a vast improvement, looking very close to the XBox version. People need to get over this already, cause it hasn't applied for a while.

This'll be no different...TOCA 2K6 will murder every racing game that's coming out not named Sega Rally 3, as well as the ones that have already dropped. And that's just the way it is.

As for the MotorStorm pics, they don't look out of reach for the next gen machines at all. I just wouldn't expect to see it right away.

:lol :lol

ok ok sorry Shinobi, I didnt read your post at all, just checked out the pics and immediately I felt the anger I felt when I was suckered into buying TOCA1 with those "touched up" screenshots. =)

Shinobi

Project Midway said:
:lol :lol

ok ok sorry Shinobi, I didnt read your post at all, just checked out the pics and immediately I felt the anger I felt when I was suckered into buying TOCA1 with those "touched up" screenshots. =)

Heh, nah I understand that sentiment...it was completely stupid on Codemasters part. It's up to them to bury that black mark on their record, and the last TOCA game went a long way towards doing that. Hopefully this new game improves their track record further.

Ranger X

TOCA2 rules the shit out of pretty much any racing game ever so easily it's almost a joke.
Bring me jaggies over those lovely screens and i buy whatever it is. It's TOCA2 graphic quality i would still buy because chance are that this racer is gonna cut any other one out there to shreds.

Dave Long

Banned
PC version is going to kick major ass. The last one was phenomenal both off and online on the PC. I really have to play this.

Shinobi

Wyzdom said:
TOCA2 rules the shit out of pretty much any racing game ever so easily it's almost a joke.
Bring me jaggies over those lovely screens and i buy whatever it is. It's TOCA2 graphic quality i would still buy because chance are that this racer is gonna cut any other one out there to shreds.

This man speaks the truth. The fact that it's still the best looking racer I've seen to date is just icing on the cake.

Only thing this game is missing is the Pikes Peak Hill Climb...saw some footage of that on Speed Channel yesterday, and I'm filled with a desire to see a current or next gen game with that full run, drops and all.

these are screens from the pc version. If seen ps2 and xbox versions in motion and they look superb, too. Way better than TOCA Race Driver 2 which already looked great. And don't forget that they manage to have 12 cars on the track and full damage system.

By the way, TOCA 3 will be much more simulation than the last one which is a good thing, too.

Shinobi

Hell, there were 20 car races in TOCA 2...yet the framerate barely skipped a beat. And yeah, good to hear it's even more of a simulation this time around, though the last game was a vast improvement over the first in that area.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
mckmas8808 said:
New screenshots

8042.jpg

5090.jpg

9024.jpg

The PS2 is still kicking.

Calidor said:
the hell, if those are PS2 shots, then PGR3 is owned

Damn....beat me to it. Infact, if those are ingame, realtime screens from ANY console(including PC), then PGR3 has still been owned! In other words, there's no way those are realtime screens. They just can't be! Impossible!

Wyzdom said:

Including rFactor???

TOCA2???.. hm..... i guess you mean Toca RACER DRIVER 2.. i know, its been a long way since, and it wasnt probably released in the states, but there is a TOCA 2, which basicly is a BTCC2 game (brittish touring car) whic btw was an awesome game that i used to play on my PSX =)

Ranger X

yup we say "Toca 2" but it's in fact Toca Race Driver 2 wich is the American name for the game. I think they use "DTM" in the title for Europe and "V8 Supercars" for Australia.

Isamu -- those aren't pre-renders. Bow down ;)

Top Bottom