• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Today marks the 35th anniversary of Akira

Toons

I saw it as an adult and it pretty much lived up to the hype artistically. Its gorgeous to look at and the story is compelling if a little underbaked but subtle. Its a great work that stands tall even above most other anime work

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I saw it as an adult and it pretty much lived up to the hype artistically. Its gorgeous to look at and the story is compelling if a little underbaked but subtle. Its a great work that stands tall even above most other anime work

I saw it 30 years ago around 10yrs old.

Regarding the story..

Well..

RQIudLh.jpg

RavageX

I thought it was alright, lol. Never quite got the hype, as far as art goes yeah definitely. Especially for the time, just didn't catch me with the story overall.

But a few other famous ones didn't either.

Not saying they aren't good. THEY ARE.

Just not my interests as far as story type goes.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Yes, it's like a blend of Gamelan and Japanese, traditional monastery music. An excellent choice emphasizing cultural uniqueness and expression of social life. What proves the greatness of this soundtrack, however, is how it was combined with images, they didn't throw it there just like that, but they made sure that it introduced the viewer into an ecosystem that, although it never existed, seems neither artificial nor improbable, as if it was some extension of the dark recesses of our collective mind.

Whoever did this, intentionally or by accident, hit all the right boxes.

Wow never knew this. Thanks.

Bought the OST on CD and listened to it on repeat back then.

This and Kaneda's theme are my favorites but that's from memory. Heavy dark tracks on that OST should revisit it soon.

wondermega

I forgot to write my post about it.

I dont think Akira is a great adaptation of the manga, not even sure if its that good of a movie. Its very uneven, it starts with some of the coolest setting you can imagine, popping colors, crazy action and otherworldly music and then fizzles itself on a bunch of kids we have no idea who they are, but are certainly not as interesting as a bunch of cool mofos on bikes going around the most beautiful dystopian city ever put on screen. And then it jumps straight to a rushed climax.

Yet, its incredibly entertaining because of a level of craftsmanship and dedication that simply doesn't exist anymore (not exclusive to japanese animation). Nolan has talked a bunch of times about this concept where a motion picture is able to portrary a world that exists beyond the frame. And that's where AKira excels, the city, the bikes, the way the hips of the characters jiggle, how every room has so much texture, how the shades move, how every movement is fluid. Its just so incredibly rich, the audience is engulfed in that grandeur. Which is the result on an enormous labor of very talented people, with their hands and brains working together. Pure skill.

The manga is, imo, a masterclass of action. All kinds, vehicular, man to man, guns, kinetic, all at the same time. Its relentless and Otomo draws it like a storyboard of the perfect action movie(s). While the film doesn't achieve the same heights, as a sensory experience is even more fulfilling.
I finally read through all of the manga maybe 2 years ago. I would say it is definitely a worthwhile read if you are any kind of serious fan of the anime, for a variety of reasons - and it is a masterpiece-level triumph on its own - but I cannot say I enjoyed it better than the anime, all things considered. Both stores are different enough that I feel like I can appreciate them independently of the other. The book, while it is MUCH more elaborate with story/characters/world building & etc, does still have issues for me that prevent it from achieving the heights of, say, the Appleseed mange in my eyes, but then I suppose in many ways it is apples & oranges (never mind personal preferences and such).

Anyway both Akira manga & anime are overwhelming, absolutely standout in their field (though I will still give the overall edge to the anime just because it is SUCH a ridiculously thorough/impressive job when it peaks).

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
If you are a fan that is interested in some of the crazy tech underpinning this film's production, you need to watch this brief, incredible analysis

Surely a very late response but I watched that analysis a couple weeks (?) ago and it was certainly worth it.

I'm far from knowing anything about animation but the use of cheats (smoke) 1 frame white flashes addding to an impact moment, shadows on pebbels, shadows drawn on 2d backgrounds giving them a 3d look etc was very cool to see.

As well as the continuity errors which I haven't registered in all my rematches..

Thanks for posting wondermega wondermega

Edit also the the mixing of 1 and 2 frames when Kaneda, Tetsuo and Yamada ride out of the alley. That "certain" angle that's seeminly very hard to pull off. Oh and when they come to a stand still at the end of the clown scene he speaks about how the animation really shows how heavy those bikes are. (Rest phase?)

It's all from memory so I'm sure I'm fucking up some terms.

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Did you guys know there were "trading cards" of Akira?

I was born in Canada and just around the time I discovered Akira on VHS a neighbour/friend from my family's time in Canada came to Holland. (Work I'm guessin) Anyways he asked what his children interest were. And I guess my parents said anime.

So when he came over he brought an in my eyes a massive amount of sealed comics and those Akira trading cards. Not a few. He bought the whole box with a massive amount of cards.

I bought like a plastic cardholder where you could slide the cards in. I still have those 30 years later more or less in mint condition. I'm only missing less then a handful. They were cards of the movie scenes with on the back a description of said scene.

They are somewhere in a box with the mint comics.

Seeing I'm going to reorganize all my books, gaming shit and more I'm sure I'll come across them.

Probably snap some pictures!

wondermega

Did you guys know there were "trading cards" of Akira?

I was born in Canada and just around the time I discovered Akira on VHS a neighbour/friend from my family's time in Canada came to Holland. (Work I'm guessin) Anyways he asked what his children interest were. And I guess my parents said anime.

So when he came over he brought an in my eyes a massive amount of sealed comics and those Akira trading cards. Not a few. He bought the whole box with a massive amount of cards.

I bought like a plastic cardholder where you could slide the cards in. I still have those 30 years later more or less in mint condition. I'm only missing less then a handful. They were cards of the movie scenes with on the back a description of said scene.

They are somewhere in a box with the mint comics.

Seeing I'm going to reorganize all my books, gaming shit and more I'm sure I'll come across them.

Probably snap some pictures!
That would be quite a treasure to unearth, all these years later!

Patrick S.

Banned
I was around the age of ten the first time I saw Akira and instantly fell in love with Manga animation. I hope more of the classic Manga animations come to 4k uhd. Street Fighter 2 will be the next 4k uhd release coming out soon.

6Ssx1aD.jpg

I only have the pleb versions but I'm happy with them haha :p

q5Hqvpp.jpg

Gonna get the German version that has two completely different German dubs some day. tho. I used to watch it in Spanish back when I lived in Spain, so I'm not familiar with either German dub, and viewing both versions is kinda gonna be like getting two entirely new versions of the film for me :)

Last edited:
I only have the pleb versions but I'm happy with them haha :p

q5Hqvpp.jpg

Gonna get the German version that has two completely different German dubs some day. tho. I used to watch it in Spanish back when I lived in Spain, so I'm not familiar with either German dub, and viewing both versions is kinda gonna be like getting two entirely new versions of the film for meh :)
The Blu-ray variants are still very good.💪

Patrick S.

Banned
The Blu-ray variants are still very good.💪
Any version of Akira is a good version haha :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Honestly, Akira is a movie I wouldn't even mind rewatching in VHS, because it would immediately take me back to 1988 when I first saw the movie :)

I remember I first learned about it on Spanish TV; they showed the whole intro scene in some afternoon show, and my jaw just dropped to the floor in awe. I, and probably most people in Europe, had never seen anything like this before. The most violent thing I had seen in a "comic movie" before was probably Obelix uppercutting a bunch of Romans, and the whole idea of there being an animated movie with mature themes was utterly fascinating to me, in a way I haven't been fascinated with movies since, with the exception of seeing The Matrix and Avatar for the first time.

Last edited:
I’m not much of an anime guy, but I have enjoyed some of the “Classics” like Ghost in the Shell and Cowboy Bebop, and other more sci-fi stuff like that.

Akira though, I just didn’t really see the hype. It has nice animation and cinematography, but I didn’t really like it otherwise. I may give it another go sometime, but I just remember the story seeming half-baked.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Amazingly, I've never seen it.

How good is it, really? Is it worth a physical disc purchase?

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Physical standard goes for 15$ or somewhat. Just be sure to get Japanese dub.

UK here, but I just found the 4K edition for £15! Not sure if it's that better than the Blu-ray edition (which is £7), but considering the praise I've seen in this thread I'm absolutely picking it up!

I'm also sure both versions are Japanese dubs

LimanimaPT

The first time I watch Akira it left me confused with the plot. It felt like watching a movie with half the content gone missing so the movie left a bad impression on me until now. Perhaps I was too young to understand the movie when I first watch it.

At least it had fantastic animation.
Have you read the manga? It's much more complete. It's been a long time since I've watched the movie but if I remember correctly, by the end the script deviates a bit from the books.

This movie really is a landmark in animation. I was amazed when I watched it.

MayauMiao

Have you read the manga? It's much more complete. It's been a long time since I've watched the movie but if I remember correctly, by the end the script deviates a bit from the books.

This movie really is a landmark in animation. I was amazed when I watched it.

Haven't read the manga fully just glance through it but the movie kind of spoils most of the chapters I read so not really motivate to read it all the way to the end.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
UK here, but I just found the 4K edition for £15! Not sure if it's that better than the Blu-ray edition (which is £7), but considering the praise I've seen in this thread I'm absolutely picking it up!

I'm also sure both versions are Japanese dubs

Nice! I hope you like it. Wouldn't pay to much attention to the story seeing it's manga are six thick volumes. As a kid I always saw it at Tetsuo looking up at cool af bro Kaneda and seeking his approval. And some other stuff.

Just enjoy the atmosphere, set pieces and mindblowing animation.

You can watch this afterwards

Such a landmark piece in the worlds of film, art, anime, animation, I could go on and on. As @Fools idol mentioned above, this appeared on the scene when anything that was significant coming out of Japan in such a vein was just "oh look, they are showing the entire rest of the world how to do things the best way imaginable." I definitely felt weird when I first watched this (I think it gave me a pretty good headache) - so much to take in, the attention to detail of all the tiny elements was far and beyond anything I'd ever had seen, and mind you "modern" anime was still a pretty fresh/underexposed concept in the west in those days.

I think I can just sit back and enjoy letting the film wash over me more now, a lot more so than when it was new. In some ways it is disappointing that it's never been touched, not even close, by anything else of this nature (can you correct me, I would love to be educated). About 2 years ago, I finally read the entire mange after all of this time. Also very much worth experiencing, especially if you are any kind of a fan of this film, although it's quite different overall (and can still be confusing/off-putting, haha).

On a side note, definitely check out the film Chronicle if you haven't. It's got issues like any film, but in many ways it has felt like the closest Hollywood has ever come to approximating some of the pivotal stuff that was popularized in Akira.

If you are a fan that is interested in some of the crazy tech underpinning this film's production, you need to watch this brief, incredible analysis

Yes the the 4k uhd version is better.

KF7k2Ct.jpg

N3eJkTg.jpg

*Yes I ♡ my filters 😅

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Bought this poster along six others. Still need to frame it but looking at the results of Akira poster art this one is rather simple.

w3m4etd.jpg

Btw that Canadian colleague/friend brought us a hardcover of the the first manga which had this awesome AF cover

JFNtXK3.jpg

Top Bottom