• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokimeki Memorial's 30th Anniversary account is teasing something with a countdown

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Weird, I know the Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side DS trilogy is supposed to be released on Switch today in Japan.
But that's for girls

GIF by VakantieVeilingen

Shin-Ra

Apparently She-slimes can be she-she’s and he-he’s.

Knowing nothing about Tokimeki Memorial, I’m glad they’re counting down and not aging the characters.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Wasn't it that this was never officially translated to English? Maybe that?

I only know about it because I've seen Tim Rogers' review 3 times now.

So how's your japanese?
I can muddle through simple manga and anime with Japanese subtitles. I know quite a bit of kanji (thanks to WaniKani), but I slacked on grammar for a few years. From what I have seen, I could get through ときめきメモリアル with a bit of help from Jisho. My only other Japanese game is Thousand Arms. It seems easy enough in-game, but the manual is jam packed with unfamiliar kanji.

I took lessons from a local Japanese woman for a couple years, then COVID hit and I've just been doing it alone since then. The whole intent behind learning to read was to play FF7 natively on PS1. I should probably grab a copy and give it a try.

Last edited:

manzo

I can’t believe I completed all girl routes on Super Nintendo back in 1998. Tokimemo still holds a special place in my heart. Mio was always my favourite.

But fucking hell, the Konami back in 1995 is very, very different from today’s Konami. I hope they would just leave the oldies be.

Fun fact, IGA was a secondary producer for Tokimemo 1.

Last edited:

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Trust me, you do NOT want another Tokimemo. The kino of 90’s dating sims cannot be reproduced anymore. They are a production of it’s time. They just don’t work in today’s gaming space.
If made by a modern western studio? Agreed.

This is Japan. As long as they don't pointlessly censor their games like the Yu-no remake did (which was already a censored version before the remake) or get shitty english "localizers", we should be good.

Reactions: Isa

manzo

If made by a modern western studio? Agreed.

This is Japan. As long as they don't pointlessly censor their games like the Yu-no remake did (which was already a censored version before the remake) or get shitty english "localizers", we should be good.

I was talking about Japanese studios. The problem is that the makers of a contemporary Tokimemo/Sentimental Graffiti would the folks who grew up playing them. The output (writing) of this generation is as gray and enjoyable as driving a Toyota Avensis. The name is there, the setup is there but what made it kino is completely missing. Tokyo RPG factory is a great example of this. The current generation of Japanese game makers are too safe when it comes to experimenting in dating sims.

Maybe someone else can put what I mean to better words…

Last edited:

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
I was talking about Japanese studios. The problem is that the makers of a contemporary Tokimemo/Sentimental Graffiti would the folks who grew up playing them. The output (writing) of this generation is as gray and enjoyable as driving a Toyota Avensis. The name is there, the setup is there but what made it kino is completely missing. Tokyo RPG factory is a great example of this. The current generation of Japanese game makers are too safe when it comes to experimenting in dating sims.

Tokyo Idea Factory isn't really a good example of this generation as they haven't released a game this generation yet. Their last game was back in 2019, 5 years ago before they ended up being folded into Square Enix proper. Plus they never made VNs.

As for just general Japanese games with great writing, we have had Octopath Traveller 2, Triangle Strategy, Xenoblade Chronicles 3, FUGA 1 and 2, Yakuza, Judgement, and others just to name a few.

As for VNs, some of the highest rated ones have come out in the last 10 years. You can find them here: https://vndb.org/v?cfil=&f=&fil=&rfil=&s=24w

Tokimeki are great games, but they weren't even the best written of its time. Many games since have blown the quality of writing and characters out of the water, such as nearly any VN from KEY.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper

Yeah, I think I see where you're coming from.

An entirely new game would have to cater to teenagers (which is probably the main target audience), which means having to make it contemporary to appeal to their tastes.

And that means appealing to weaboos, making characters with gigantic breasts, some sort of harem possibility, characters with zero personality, generic anime art style, etc.
I mean, just look at modern anime and how much it is lacking.

As for just general Japanese games with great writing, we have had Octopath Traveller 2, Triangle Strategy, Xenoblade Chronicles 3, FUGA 1 and 2
Season 1 Nbc GIF by The Good Place

Tokimeki is a very interesting game all up...

It is a game about being the man that the girl wants you to be by self improvement.

Ironically a key to success is to avoid as many of every other girl being introduced as possible until they no longer show up, so that you don't have to waste time doing "friendship dates" with them. Then you use those spare time to increase your chosen stats.

The girls that you have phone numbers of are considered friends, and even if you don't like them you have to sometime ask them out on dates. Because if you don't do that they badmouth you and cause everyone else to get mad. But you have to sabotage yourself in making the friendship date a negative experience or she would like you TOO much and become the girl you end up with.

By avoiding as many girls meeting you as possible, it saves you time doing other things.

I once tried a "get every girl's number" run. It was physically impossible to keep everyone happy as there isn't enough days in the game.

StereoVsn

I would take remaster of the OG first two games in a Switch cartridge. Hell, I would import them. The games are surprisingly in depth from the mechanics side.

Last edited:
Top Bottom