• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Happy 30th anniversary to DOOM!

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
zTHx2Wa.png

To celebrate the 30th anniversary.... I will beat the game. I've beaten Knee-Deep in the Dead and The Shores of Hell, and i'm gonna do Inferno by tommorrow. I haven't beaten DOOM before, so I figured this would be the perfect opportunity to tie that up.

Also, Ironically, the 30th anniversary of DOOM will be on a SUNDAY of all days.

Of course, the name is in all caps to actually honor the legendary nature of this masterpiece game.

SIGIL 2 will also be releasing tommorrow to celebrate.

Last edited:

Ovech-King

Gold Member
First game my father bought me . I remember it was on those light grey floppy disk and what a game it was !

Crayon

Wow. I'll try to play some in celebration. I love the PS1 version especially. I remember my mom saying this about two games... "You want the same game AGAIN?!?". That and sf2hf(from vanilla on snes. I didn't think of it as a whole new game even then.) were my first two ever "double dips".

Last edited:
Fuck I'm old ! I think I played this game on Pc and almost all consoles ever created, I never finished it.
I still have it on my Pc today , there's something about it that keeps me coming back , the sounds...the feels

Scotty W

Gold Member
zTHx2Wa.png

To celebrate the 30th anniversary.... I will beat the game. I've beaten Knee-Deep in the Dead and The Shores of Hell, and i'm gonna do Inferno by tommorrow. I haven't beaten DOOM before, so I figured this would be the perfect opportunity to tie that up.

Of course, the name is in all caps to actually honor the legendary nature of this masterpiece game.

You should play some wads.

Let’s say: Alien Vendetta, Kama Sutra, Ancient Aliens

RAIDEN1

Those really were the best days of gaming. Amiga and PC.
What this game did signify though was that the Amiga wasn't cut out anymore to go toe-to-toe with the competition.....all other systems got a port bar the Amiga... the SNES got it, the 32x got it, Atari's very own CD32 (the Jag) got it...but Amiga had to settle for imitations and even then it couldn't get it right (forget Alien Breed 3d) ....

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
What this game did signify though was that the Amiga wasn't cut out anymore to go toe-to-toe with the competition.....all other systems got a port bar the Amiga... the SNES got it, the 32x got it, Atari's very own CD32 (the Jag) got it...but Amiga had to settle for imitations and even then it couldn't get it right (forget Alien Breed 3d) ....

the Amiga could play Doom though, it got a port years later... iD just didn't bother with an amiga port unfortunately

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
I remember all too well 👀

Us Amiga die hards had Gloom though!

And erm, this!

FL7tU79.jpg

The only thing stopping me making a full jump into PC gaming back then was the sound, I just couldn't take it. I knew Doom was a cracking game but never got fully stuck in until the PS1 version and that glorious soundtrack. It truly made the game for me.

Saber

Gold Member
Damn, one my favorite game of all times. I still love playing it.

Too bad the recent version port was garbage. Man, what a disgrace to the franchise.

WitchHunter

Banned
zTHx2Wa.png

Oh and as time progresses it just gets worse and worse. Emptied out, a husk, a former shell of itself.

SpiceRacz

My family didn't get a desktop until 1995. When we finally got our Packard Bell, my neighbor down the street hooked me up with a floppy (I think?) with Doom on it. Blew my fucking mind. It was balls to the wall and simultaneously scary as shit for the time. Playing that in the dark late at night is probably one of my favorite gaming experiences ever. Up there with playing Mario 64 and Shenmue for the first time.

That same neighbor also eventually hooked me up with Duke Nukem 3D. That game turned me from a boy to a fucking MAN.

PkogE27.gif

Last edited:

DryvBy

You dumb kid shave no idea. Dad and zi played this on floppy disc (that's a format that isn't even floppy) using a flight stick joystick.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
I remember when doom 1 was when I convinced my dad to get a sound blaster sound card.

It was game changing to not only get off PC speakers, but go back and play wolfienstien 3d. Remember vividly hammering the 4 arrow keys way before mouse movement was a thing. Played all these games on a early 90’s Gateway 2000 PC (386 with I think 40 megs of hd space) that came in a cow colored spotted box 😂

here’s hoping the newish ports put yet another .wad pack of a new episode to celebrate.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
It was game changing to not only get off PC speakers, but go back and play wolfienstien 3d. Remember vividly hammering the 4 arrow keys way before mouse movement was a thing.
those pc speaker sounds are funny and sound like the stuff youd hear on c64

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
(And still holds up to this day. Gameplay is still solid as fuck)
No lies detected. Any new retro system I get, first games on it are Doom 1+2 and Doom 64 (followed by Max Payne and Alien trilogy)

Oh and as time progresses it just gets worse and worse. Emptied out, a husk, a former shell of itself.
And that I agree with, Eternal was utter gush. Doom 2016 was not too bad.

Simms

Neo Member
For any VR fans who love Doom get the Questzdoom launcher and play Doom a new way. Essential for VR fans.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
My old engineering company had a state of the art 486DX PC, I remember creating a boot disc to play this game and would stay after work and be utterly blown away at this new form of gaming, it was such a pain as I couldn't show my mates but simply annoy them by constantly going on about it, it really was something back in the day

Reactions: Gp1
My family didn't get a desktop until 1995. When we finally got our Packard Bell, my neighbor down the street hooked me up with a floppy (I think?) with Doom on it. Blew my fucking mind. It was balls to the wall and simultaneously scary as shit for the time. Playing that in the dark late at night is probably one of my favorite gaming experiences ever. Up there with playing Mario 64 and Shenmue for the first time.

That same neighbor also eventually hooked me up with Duke Nukem 3D. That game turned me from a boy to a fucking MAN.

PkogE27.gif

Lol, this is almost my exact story. My neighbor across the street brought Doom on a floppy and put it on our Packard Bell.

What an amazing game. And the support it still gets.

Oh it's been 30 fucking years already, time flies. I sometimes wonder how would my gaming life (and the market) if doom and fpses never existed

I'll never forget going from the safe spaces of Nintendo games to exploding demons into lumps of quivering flesh going deeper into hell with what sounded like babies crying in the background. Easily one of the GOATs.

Top Bottom