• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Xanadu |Import OT| - Can You Xanadu?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
XxhA65H.png

jn37ljv.png

Title: Tokyo Xanadu
Platform: PlayStation Vita, PlayStation Vita TV
Release Date: 09-30-2015 (JPN)
Genre: Action RPG
Publisher: Falcom
Player(s): 1
CERO: B (12 and up)
Price: First Print Edition - 8,208 JPY / Normal 6,998 JPY / Download 5,980 JPY (Prices include tax)
fgTdDYJ.png

rafDDXo.png

17 year-old Kou Tokisaka is your everyday high schooler who lives in Morimiya on the outskirts of Tokyo. On his way back from work one late night,

though, in an old part of town, he finds himself caught up in a certain “incident….”

Meanwhile, having returned from overseas and transferred into school in April, Asuka Hiiragi is an attractive girl with an affable, friendly personality who’s made for a popular class president. That doesn’t stop her from getting caught up dealing with a group of brash delinquents who try to take her somewhere, though.

Catching sight of this, Kou follows them off to a back alley. It’s there that he’s met with the sight of a beautiful, yet horrifying space, as well as that of the delinquents practically eaten by an indescribable monster known as a Greed.

And then from thin air emerges “her” pulling out a blade that shines a blue light….
*Credits to Gematsu

j15fcxl.png

yKAkxcP.png

wuZeceJ.png

lyQGFdb.png

5pNS5bb.png

Tokyo Game Show Trailer
5 Minute Trailer for Tokyo Xanadu
PlayStation Blog In Game Footage #1 School / Town
PlayStation Blog In Game Footage #2 Combat
PlayStation Blog In Game Footage #3 Combat
8 Minutes of Tokyo Xanadu Gameplay
Recorded Footage of First Boss Battle (so-so twitch quality)
1 Hour Long Recorded Gameplay Footage - Start of Game Till First Boss Battle
2nd Boss Battle footage, spoilers obviously for those who want to keep things fresh.

gXXO6Ss.png

#0:
Q: Any word on localization for the West?
A: No idea at this time. Though if a company was going to do it would most likely be XSEED seeing how they have localized a fair number of other Falcom titles, including some currently in the works now.

#1:
Q: What type of game is this?
A: Action RPG. Watch the videos in the Media section, should give you a fairly good idea of what to generally expect gameplay wise.

#2:
Q: Do I need to know Japanese to play this game?
A: Since its an Action RPG, Id say not exactly, but at the same time since it is a Falcom title will be story centric also. So you would be missing out on a lot of stuff dialog wise I would imagine.

#3:
Q: Is this game based on an ongoing series?
A: Seeing how this title is totally different from the previous "Fantasy" based Xanadu titles, would say its only related in name. Am not as familiar with the actual history and such as other members who are far more well versed in Falcom's history and such. Wikipedia link for more info on the original Xanadu series.

#4:
Q: Does this work on a "Western" VITA?
A: Yep the physical version should work just fine. Digital also as long as you have a JPSN account to download with. Though you will need JPSN point cards also if you do plan on doing a digital purchase through the JPSN.

#5:
Q: Do you have a list of trophies for the game?
A: Yes right here, click on this text to go to the HP with the trophies list.
*Trophy descriptions are all in Japanese.

#6:
Q: Are there any official review scores out?
A: Tokyo Xanadu (PSV) – 9/8/8/7 [32/40]

jMjNVHD.png

AmiAmi
Nippon-Yasan
CD Japan
HMV Japan
*Disclaimer: Neither GAF nor myself has any sort of affiliation with the following sites above. These are just the most common ones members frequently speak of when it comes to online import shops and these links are for the convenience of the members who are still interested in importing the Japanese version of the game. Mods if you feel this is inappropriate let me know and will remove this section.

JNU74XD.png

*Disclaimer: I have no official affiliation to Falcom, Gematsu, 1001fonts, or Dieter Steffmann.

Ym8aRwd.gif

Parakeetman

This game doesnt lend itself as well to screenshots as it does actually watching it in action for the combat related stuff. So watch the videos in the media section for anyone not impressed by the screenshots.

There actually is a lot more information for the features and whatnots, but just go read up on that from the gematsu links as they have a pretty good collection of data from all the released news.

Gematsu Link + Tokyo Xanadu tag. Shows all stories related to Tokyo Xanadu.

If anyone else has any other footage besides whats listed in the media section let me know and will add it up in there.

------

The fictional idol group SPiKA that shows up in Tokyo Xanadu have released 3 songs for sale as a mini album. One of the main characters in the game Rion Kugayama belongs to this group.

Apparently the songs are not being sold separately, but the mini album is 1000 JPY for all 3.

http://www.e-onkyo.com/music/album/hnw10103340/

From the previous thread that contained the official trailer for the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=We3ZHvaqB98

5 mins

Too lazy to look for the other threads here so just use this gematsu info dump link instead.

http://gematsu.com/tag/tokyo-xanadu

Is it available on the amazon store? I usually buy Falcom soundtracks there.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/s/ref=nb_sb...=aps&field-keywords=Seize+the+day+(東亰ザナドゥ主題歌)

Are they on Itunes? If so, anyone have the link so I can buy them?

https://itunes.apple.com/jp/album/seize-day-dong-jingzanado/id1029361061

Thanks for the Amazon JP link, Parakeetman.

Edit: Now available in the Amazon USA store too, fuck yeah. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0141O06A4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

ranmafan

Wonderful OT! Looking forward to playing this hopefully tonight! Falcom's store always ships early and I think it's already at my house ready to be played. Can't wait,

Parakeetman

Wonderful OT! Looking forward to playing this hopefully tonight! Falcom's store always ships early and I think it's already at my house ready to be played. Can't wait,

Thanks! I think mine arrives tomorrow, as its on the way via Amazon. Did not know that Falcom store ships early! Will have to remember that for the future.

Great OT. Nicely done Parakeetman.

Thanks for that!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Picking this up tomorrow after work. Looking forward to another Xanadu adventure! I'm sure it'll share little with Xanadu Next, but I'm nonetheless excited. :D

ranmafan

Thanks! I think mine arrives tomorrow, as its on the way via Amazon. Did not know that Falcom store ships early! Will have to remember that for the future.

Thanks for that!

Oh yeah I've ordered both versions of sen no kiseki from them in the past and always got them the day before. I guess they always do that. Made some people jealous here. I got a shipping mail from them yesterday and it said it would be at my place by today. The price of course is higher than Amazon but I don't mind considering the timing and I love ordering directly from them. Glad it's coming early. With this and yoru no nai kuni coming out this week it will be nice to have an extra day to play this.

Parakeetman

Picking this up tomorrow after work. Looking forward to another Xanadu adventure! I'm sure it'll share little with Xanadu Next, but I'm nonetheless excited. :D

At least this looks like Richard Garriott wont be suing Falcom over this game. :D

Oh yeah I've ordered both versions of sen no kiseki from them in the past and always got them the day before. I guess they always do that. Made some people jealous here. I got a shipping mail from them yesterday and it said it would be at my place by today. The price of course is higher than Amazon but I don't mind considering the timing and I love ordering directly from them. Glad it's coming early. With this and yoru no nai kuni coming out this week it will be nice to have an extra day to play this.

Yeah I had totally forgot YNNK comes out this week also. For some reason though it was the 10th. D: Start of the month is killer on the budget, considering have rent to pay also haha

Nice OT. I'll patiently wait for your impressions. Character designs look neat.

Thanks! Would not be surprised if some early impressions show up tonight by other members that might have gotten the game early.

ranmafan

Yeah I had totally forgot YNNK comes out this week also. For some reason though it was the 10th. D: Start of the month is killer on the budget, considering have rent to pay also haha

I know what you mean. I got this and the gust super special edition of ynnk coming. Tough week on the pocketbooks

Labadal

Going to subscribe to this and read people's impressions. Looks like it plays like the later Ys installments.

I might end up getting to play the game, but the soundtrack will always be something I can enjoy.

Parakeetman

I know what you mean. I got this and the gust super special edition of ynnk coming. Tough week on the pocketbooks

Yeah I got that special edition for the soundtrack as it sounded pretty awesome from the samples on the OHP. That thing isnt cheap too lol.

Didnt help I got a DekaVITA7 earlier in the month also. Which most def is not worth the $$$ considering the functionality / build quality. Though Ill keep it just because its a pain in the ass to return it at this point. Though after using the DekaVITA7 going back to the normal Vita feels so weird with how tiny it is in comparison lol.

Going to subscribe to this and read people's impressions. Looks like it plays like the later Ys installments.

I might end up getting to play the game, but the soundtrack will always be something I can enjoy.

Yeah that will be for the best, with all the Falcom fans here at GAF am sure you will get a good selection of impressions also once folks start to get their hands on the title. In regards to the soundtrack I think it comes out at the end of October for the game.

Parham

Banned
What are the chances it will come stateside? The game looks really neat, but it sounds like I'll be missing out on a lot of the content on account of not knowing the language.

Edit: Woops! Missed that part of the Q&A. Fingers crossed XSEED decides to pick this up.

Parakeetman

What are the chances it will come stateside? The game looks really neat, but it sounds like I'll be missing out on a lot of the content on account of not knowing the language.

Edit: Woops! Missed that part of the Q&A.

Yeah for the import OTs I do pretty much these days the first Q&A is always the localization question. As it is one of the most frequently asked questions in import OTs in general haha.

Im pretty sure they will, just the question is when considering their current schedule.

aitakute

Gonna get this game at sofmap when I come back tomorrow. Too bad I couldn't pre-order it at Tsutaya for the costume dlc.

Aeana

I hope it turns out well. I'll be watching for impressions. I just haven't been that impressed with what I've seen.

Parakeetman

The dungeons look so bland that I'm still not convinced they aren't randomly generated.

Was the game supposed to have randomly generated dungeons or something? I kept seeing folks mention that, but never really looked into it.

Id imagine Ryouga will be getting it and streaming if he does. So folks who follow him can get some good impressions.

Parakeetman

Damn it, I need this game in english.

Great OT btw.

Thanks!

It has arrived! Time to Xanadu! I will post impressions later tonight after family time and I have enough time to play! So excited it's finally here!

Oh nice! Congrats that it arrived already! I wonder if amazon screwed up again and mine is gonna be a day late... Sometimes I wonder why I pay my prime dues...

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Nice OT. Although like Aeana I'm not so sure if it'll be as fun as the Ys games, I'm excited to dig into a quality action RPG.

Will try to grab a copy at my local Geo after midnight since they decided to do a midnight release for MGS5 without any prior notification, but I'm afraid it might've been a one time thing. If that fails, I'll just get my preorder before work tomorrow.
Falcom store, they ship early in Japan. I always get their games a day early that way. Benefit of living in Japan!
For a second I was excited and decided to do the same for the next Falcom game, but the stuff there is about 1k yen more expensive than in retail stores. Ouch, I can wait for a day. :(
Was the game supposed to have randomly generated dungeons or something? I kept seeing folks mention that, but never really looked into it.

Id imagine Ryouga will be getting it and streaming if he does. So folks who follow him can get some good impressions.
People usually think dungeons/levels in games are random if they look bland.
While on the topic of dungeons, my biggest worry regarding the game comes from one of the Famitsu reviews, which mentioned that the dungeons don't really get more complicated in the later parts of the game.
Thanks!
Oh nice! Congrats that it arrived already! I wonder if amazon screwed up again and mine is gonna be a day late... Sometimes I wonder why I pay my prime dues...
I'd never preorder a game on Amazon if I wanted it day 1 after all the horror stories I've heard. Why not do it at the closest store? The price is similar and you can pick it up whenever you want. ;)

TripleSun

It has arrived! Time to Xanadu! I will post impressions later tonight after family time and I have enough time to play! So excited it's finally here!

Oh wow jealous! Waiting until tomorrow is killing me haha. I can't believe it's finally here! Demo'd some at TGS and liked the combat. Well 10 minutes of it lol

ranmafan

For a second I was excited and decided to do the same for the next Falcom game, but the stuff there is about 1k yen more expensive than in retail stores. Ouch, I can wait for a day. :(

I know what you mean, I usually just get new games off amazon and such because of the prices, but I make an exception for Falcom titles for some reason. It's nice to get early but yeah that comes with a slightly higher price.

Stalk

Waiting out for an English release here, otherwise I'll be grabbing this in a few months after seeing some more impression. Looks like good fun :D

Jiraiza

Ooph, totally forgot this was coming out and didn't get to reserve a copy at one of the stores for the tapestries.

Parakeetman

Nice OT.

I'd never preorder a game on Amazon if I wanted it day 1 after all the horror stories I've heard. Why not do it at the closest store? The price is similar and you can pick it up whenever you want. ;)

Thanks!

Actually amazon is generally on point most of the time but they do fuck up on occasion. At least its nothing like the US.

That and remember Ive been doing shit like this for quite some time which is why I can wind up with things like so. ;)

The serious answer is its pretty much pointless to go picking it up at the store anyways regardless depending on location and / or work schedule. That and can get it for a fair amount cheaper too on occasion. Though cost is rather low on the list of concerns. Its just nicer knowing have a set general schedule that something will be where I need it when specified. Rather than going out of my way depending on location to pick it up myself let alone do the initial reservation in store.

With that being said, now I have 2 LEs. Wonderful. Will go sell the other one. Heard that these things are pretty limited in quantity apparently, since the popularity exploded right after TGS due to the highly positive reception of what was shown.

Klossen

Banned
You folks planning on playing on harder difficulty levels? Ys:MoC felt personally too easy on normal. Curious to see if the same applies to Xanadu.

Parakeetman

You folks planning on playing on harder difficulty levels? Ys:MoC felt personally too easy on normal. Curious to see if the same applies to Xanadu.

Will have to see how the game is first / get used to the mechanics etc. Most likely not though as have too many other things to get out of the way also. WAAAAAAAAAAY too many titles coming out at once. Thurs is Yoru no Nai Kuni and later in the month on the 15th is 7th Dragon III code : VFO. Still have Utawarerumono: False Mask to go finish up also, to give you a general idea.

I wish Falcom had some less "generic" character designs...That's really one of the thing that bothers me the most with their games. They don't look bad but they have nothing special to them.

Sallokin

Excellent OT. I can Xanadu, maybe? At least tomorrow after work if Amazon delivers it when they say they will, I can.

Parakeetman, I think it's time for a return to Tachikawa.

Parakeetman

Excellent OT. I can Xanadu, maybe? At least tomorrow after work if Amazon delivers it when they say they will, I can.

Parakeetman, I think it's time for a return to Tachikawa.

Thanks man, haha indeed brother.

Time to visit virtual Tachikawa! Had to reset all of the settings for the PSVTV. Settings went haywire after taking the thing out from the DekaVITA7. Must have ran out of juice. Hate it when that happens, network settings are all messed up now. D:

Sallokin

Thanks man, haha indeed brother.

Time to visit virtual Tachikawa! Had to reset all of the settings for the PSVTV. Settings went haywire after taking the thing out from the DekaVITA7. Must have ran out of juice. Hate it when that happens, network settings are all messed up now. D:

loooool, I wanted one of those, but after reading what you said above, I think I'll pass. I'm probably going to be in real Tachikawa this weekend for a bit. I wanted to hit up Orion to take some pics of the coffee shop with the Xanadu art up.

Was considering heading there tomorrow after work to see if there are any launch events.

Parakeetman

loooool, I wanted one of those, but after reading what you said above, I think I'll pass. I'm probably going to be in real Tachikawa this weekend for a bit. I wanted to hit up Orion to take some pics of the coffee shop with the Xanadu art up.

Was considering heading there tomorrow after work to see if there are any launch events.

Yeah the thing isnt worth it since its honestly still in the prototype phase, has heat issues, uses only the PSVTV power supply which is not sold separately normally, things like wifi cause the speakers to generate static feedback even when using headphones, list kinda goes on lol. So the price vs. the quality is most def not there, but its still servicable for JRPGs and such. Plus makes it feel weird when you go back to the tiny Vita lol.

Id imagine they would have to have something going on down there. Wonder if that freaky mascot will be walking around lol

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Will try to grab a copy at my local Geo after midnight since they decided to do a midnight release for MGS5 without any prior notification, but I'm afraid it might've been a one time thing. If that fails, I'll just get my preorder before work tomorrow.
To quote myself, I just confirmed that Geo stores (at least the one near me) are doing midnight releases now if the publishers don't mind, so I'll be grabbing my copy in a few hours.
Its just nicer knowing have a set general schedule that something will be where I need it when specified. Rather than going out of my way depending on location to pick it up myself let alone do the initial reservation in store.
A package arriving at a random time during the day is hardly a schedule I fitting for me, but I agree that it all depends on how close to a game store with decent prices you live/work.

And on topic, I really hope that the game won't have terrible performance problems...

Sitrus

Now I just have to wait for the packages to arrive. This and Yoru no nai Kuni will probably last me throughout these cold autumn/winter months.

I'm looking forward to the impressions! And as always, your OT rocks Parakeetman!

artsi

Ah, this has missed my radar completely, looks very interesting. I'm thinking if I should get this or Yoru no nai Kuni the day after tomorrow.

Top Bottom