• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Warren: XSS specs (20CU at 1.55Ghz ≈ 3.97TF, similar CPU to XSX, PCIe4 SSD ,, >250W, 10GB of ram and no disk drive)

joe_zazen

7156792006125997.gif

if this is confirmed (especially no disk drive), XSS feel like a console made with mostly gamepass in mind

i think you can say that about the whole of xbox post x1.

Last edited:
It's stronger than the Xbox One X, and therefore much more stronger than the PS4 Pro.
Gpu wise its weaker than x1x even considering rdna 2 vs gcn. 6tf gcn performs better than 4 tf rdna by around 20 %.

4tf rdna acts like 5.1 tf gcn which is still weakep than x1x

But ssd and cpu eats x1x alive

Memory is also worse than x1x so for BC it can not play x1x version but rather x1s versions

Ellery

yeah this is going to be way less than 250W. Like way less less. 4TF is absolutely nothing at those clocks

Gpu wise its weaker than x1x even considering rdna 2 vs gcn. 6tf gcn performs better than 4 tf rdna by around 20 %.

Memory is also worse than x1x so for BC it can not play x1x version but rather x1s versions

It's 5.1 tf GCN if you assume RDNA 1.0.

With RDNA 2.0 it's closer to 6 tf GCN. And the lower memory doesn't matter much because of the SSD and all the other optimizations. The XSS is much more powerful than the X1X, overall.

Yea xss ram can only play x1s BC not x1x versions

This is utterly and completely wrong.

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
I believe it would have been a better idea to go for 6-8 TF to be honest..
Isn't XboneX discontinued?

I think 4TF is more than enough to run the same games at 1440/1080 + 30fps with less bells and whistles.

The GPU has the obvious customization and structure advantage. I'm sure it's going to perform better.

The CPU's are not even in the same universe. The XSS has a much much better one.

And it also has better memory overall with the SSD inclusion.

So yeah, the XSS it's a much better console.

It's 5.1 tf GCN if you assume RDNA 1.0.

With RDNA 2.0 it's closer to 6 tf GCN. And the lower memory doesn't matter much because of the SSD and all the other optimizations. The XSS is much more powerful than the X1X, overall.
For gpu we will see once rdna2 gpus r out.

As for ram no ram amount for games is lower and no ssd can't replace lower available ram for games .hence in backward compatibility xss will play x1s versions not x1x versions .

Last edited:

Allandor

So weaker than the Xbox One X and Ps4 Pro as previously rumored. Except that it has an SSD.
Apples vs oranges?

You are comparing GCN vs a new RDNA based architecture with much more advanced features to save performance (mesh-shaders, VRS, ...).

Scaling should be quite easy, even with the lower DRAM capacity.
- Lower res -> smaller render target and much less GPU performance needed
- lower res textures -> massive lower memory footprint and lower bandwidth needed
- lower shadow maps -> massive lower memory footprint and lower bandwidth needed
- e.g. no RT -> massive lower memory footprint

In the end, the series s has a massive SSD bandwidth advantage over the xbox series x (because it just doesn't need that much bandwidth with lower overall graphics quality).

And really don't tell me anything about games that would use all the memory for game logic. Since main memory capacity exploded with the last gen, it is almost entirely used as GPU resource (e.g. caching textures). Gamelogic was always very, very small. Even skyrim worked on last gens xbox360 and ps3 and there are not many of those complex games out there. RAM will mainly be used for graphics again and I don't see any reason why that would change.

DavidGzz

So, imagine if by "XB1X of next gen" it will also be $499 like the XB1X at launch and the S will be $299. Great pricing! Hope it's true.

I am telling you man, series S has so much potential and Microsoft despite not having major games at launch, has the potential to outsell PS5 because of Series S pricing. I don't see Sony pricing their PS5 DE anywhere as low as Series S.
I disagree.

If the average customer is presented with 3 (or more) price options, they tend to go to the middle. Companies will deliberately scale their services to take advantage of this. The $x.99 trick on prices is another example of leveraging psychology against customers.

In this hypothetical scenario
XsS - lowest price, lowest specs
PS5 - midrange price, much higher specs
XsX - highest price, even higher specs

The problem shows up if PS5 is a big jump from XsS, but XsX is not as big of a jump over PS5. Customers will "settle" for a midrange option that is "good enough" in terms of power. Brand reputation plays another huge role here. An example would be going to a quik lube or a car wash. The cheapest option is $7, the PREMIUM is $9, and the ULTRA PREMIUM is $17. It is likely that the PREMIUM will get the most sales as it is priced only a bit higher than the normal, and for a vanity service people tend to forget the $ cost.

Microsoft is hoping to squeeze Sony out by offering the cheapest as well as the most powerful option. This is not a controversial observation. However, it is plausible this will work against them, as Sony offers one unified SKU and Microsoft offers two, in addition to the "middle pick" psychological issue mentioned above.

Last edited:
So weaker than the Xbox One X and Ps4 Pro as previously rumored. Except that it has an SSD.
No, it’s much more efficient than the PS4 and Xbox One X... it’s still running the same 8 Core Zen 2 processor at the same clock speed as the XSX, just scaled down GPU and RAM. The GPU is RDNA 2.0 which is much better than anything the old consoles offer.

it will easily beat those two consoles, the FLOPS count doesn’t mean much without context.

Last edited:

PlayVerso

Microsoft wants to have the most powerful console (X), and also the cheapest console (S).
My question is .... Series S will be a problem for Series X? their games will have to be optimized for Series S as well and could be a problem for developers wanting to exploit Series X? :pie_thinking:

Top Bottom