• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tony Hawks 1+2 Remastered releases 09/04/20

RoadHazard

Gold Member
This stupid thing that high scores set with cheats (assists) enabled count as your actual high score that you can then never ever beat without cheats won't be a thing in the full release, surely? I mean, I guess you can just never play with assists to avoid this issue, but man is it dumb.

I also don't really like the aggressive camera snapping. The original wasn't really like that...?

Last edited:

LegendOfKage

Gold Member
Has anyone done a breakdown on PS4 vs. Xbox yet?
If I have to play a console version I want to play the best one.

Unlike most games, the real question of Xbox vs PlayStation isn't a matter of framerate, or resolution, or anything to do with graphics.

I just have one question for you. Which d-pad would you rather use? If you have a preference, there's your answer.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Unlike most games, the real question of Xbox vs PlayStation isn't a matter of framerate, or resolution, or anything to do with graphics.

I just have one question for you. Which d-pad would you rather use? If you have a preference, there's your answer.

But it's a remake, so why would graphical differences not be possible?

waylo

Banned
Just for shits and giggles I decided to turn everything all the way down. The game still looks surprisingly good, and Tony Hawk at 240+ FPS is :pie_drooling:

LegendOfKage

Gold Member
But it's a remake, so why would graphical differences not be possible?

I'm pretty sure I saw that until this thing is on next gen consoles, the Xbox One X is the only console running this in 4k. I'm not suggesting graphical differences aren't possible, I'm saying that d-pad preference matters more, at least in my opinion.

LegendOfKage

Gold Member
What is everyone's best score?

Around 800,000 or so for a full run. I had a 900,000 point combo that I bailed on, and that would have easily put me into the million range. It feels so easy to bail in the demo, because I'm used to playing this game with a fully leveled skater. On the bright side, after playing for hours and hours with the starting stats, playing the real game is going to feel like easy mode.

I also refuse to just farm the channel gap grinds. Nothing against those who enjoy farming those kind of areas, and I don't consider it "cheating" or anything like that, but I'd rather make use of the full level when playing. It's just more enjoyable for me that way. Sometimes when I find one particular tactic is considerably more effective than anything else, I prefer to ignore it for the sake of variety, and that's the case here.

Last edited:

LegendOfKage

Gold Member
I feel like it might because we’re gaining money and levels that don’t unlock anything at the moment...

I honestly hope that XP doesn't carry over. I'd hate to "earn" 15+ levels of unlocks before I start the game itself. I'm getting hyped for the idea of them "COD-ifying" this game, though. It is being published by Activision, and it already looks like we'll be able to customize an online "calling card" with a background skateboard image and emblem. If they wanted to go in that direction I could definitely see them including all sorts of cosmetic unlockables for player progression. Grind for an accumulative total of 100,000 ft to unlock a calling card, manual for 10 seconds to unlock an emblem, complete 100 combos with at least 20 tricks for another calling card, continue your combo for at least 30 seconds of overtime after the timer ends for another emblem.

No idea if any of that will really be how things work, but they have to have some sort of goals for a calling card system, right? And then there's the experience system. I have to wonder about that too.

Will we prestige in a Tony Hawk game? :messenger_face_screaming:

Last edited:

LegendOfKage

Gold Member
Don't watch this if you don't want secret skaters spoiled for you, as this reveals more than just what's mentioned in the video title. Also included in the video is our first look at the retro skins that you get with the digital deluxe version of the game, some screen shots from a couple levels that haven't been seen yet, and the first images of two returning THPS2 secret levels.

[video removed because uploader changed thumbnail to include secret skater]

Last edited:

DryvBy

This shitty locked - behind - preorder practice is making me nervous, It's really stupid and makes the games sell less than possible imho

From a possible day one buy, to a 10$ wait for sale, fuck them

Eh, it's a very good and faithful THPS experience though. I don't like demos being tied to preorders but we're lucky to even get demos these days.

Eh, it's a very good and faithful THPS experience though. I don't like demos being tied to preorders but we're lucky to even get demos these days.

Developers are worried about people being satisfacted with only playing demos and not the final game, but they don't understand how many people end up not buying their games because of the impossibility to try them

This is one of them, I mean, it looks great, but I'd want to try it before buying, otherwise the shelf is very confortable

LegendOfKage

Gold Member
This shitty locked - behind - preorder practice is making me nervous, It's really stupid and makes the games sell less than possible imho

From a possible day one buy, to a 10$ wait for sale, fuck them

Developers are worried about people being satisfacted with only playing demos and not the final game, but they don't understand how many people end up not buying their games because of the impossibility to try them

This is one of them, I mean, it looks great, but I'd want to try it before buying, otherwise the shelf is very confortable

Punish developer for pre-order only demo VS reward developer for finally giving us the remake we've been waiting over a decade for.

I can understand your point, but in the end, they're going to look at sales as it relates to people being interesting in skateboarding games in 2020. They're not going to see poor sales as criticism of a pre-order demo, they're going to see it as a failure of the game itself. Do as you will, and I won't criticize you for it, but personally I'd rather concentrate on the good here rather than the bad.

Punish developer for pre-order only demo VS reward developer for finally giving us the remake we've been waiting over a decade for.

I can understand your point, but in the end, they're going to look at sales as it relates to people being interesting in skateboarding games in 2020. They're not going to see poor sales as criticism of a pre-order demo, they're going to see it as a failure of the game itself. Do as you will, and I won't criticize you for it, but personally I'd rather concentrate on the good here rather than the bad.

I respect your point of view, but I ask myself " ok, a series I loved seems to be back to its roots, but many nostalgia operations ended up badly, what If I follow my heart, buy a game of a series I love and returned out of faith and love, and this is revealed to only look good, but plays like shit?"

Honestly, these privè demos sounds like snob shit, there is absolutely no logical reason to do it

Demo were born to make people decide if the game is for them and buy, or not, what's a logical point in locking a demo after a pre payed preorder? And if I try the demo, don't like it and wanna cancel my preorder?

Afaik, in ps store you can't cancel preorders

I reward developers for making a good game, but I want to try it before deciding if is good or not, and before charging 40-70$

Last edited:

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™

If you have access to an XB1, you can always just pre order, play the demo, and then cancel your pre order without being charged at all.

Last edited:

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Interesting! I actually managed to get my Tony Hawk digital copy refunded by Sony despite having played the demo for like 20h! Niiiice. Didn’t know they refunded stuff like this.

LegendOfKage

Gold Member
I respect your point of view, but I ask myself " ok, a series I loved seems to be back to its roots, but many nostalgia operations ended up badly, what If I follow my heart, buy a game of a series I love and returned out of faith and love, and this is revealed to only look good, but plays like shit?"

Honestly, these privè demos sounds like snob shit, there is absolutely no logical reason to do it

Demo were born to make people decide if the game is for them and buy, or not, what's a logical point in locking a demo after a pre payed preorder? And if I try the demo, don't like it and wanna cancel my preorder?

Afaik, in ps store you can't cancel preorders

I reward developers for making a good game, but I want to try it before deciding if is good or not, and before charging 40-70$

The logical point is you sell pre-orders by giving people something they want with their pre-order. They happened to know that a lot of fans have been sharing memories of the warehouse demo for well over a decade. It's legendary as far as demos go, so they used that fact to their advantage. And honestly, I think it worked. If the demo was free, it might sell people on the game, but loads of them wouldn't bother to pre-order. The positive here is by making the demo the pre-order bonus, no one gets left out of content for the retail game or has to buy some sort of DLC to have the complete game. There is the extra skater with the 50 dollar version of the game, but they could have made a pre-order only skater as well, and then anyone who didn't pre-order would be getting screwed out of content.

I would imagine it'll be a free demo again once the game is out. I went for it because I first didn't see any red flags and the developer just finished a terrific remake with their last game, then the comparison videos came out and I could tell just how much the remake mirrored the original, and then I saw how much respect they paid to Neversoft. Oh yeah, and they brought back Andy THPS who was able to play the Remake every bit as well as he played the classics back in the day. After all that, the demo hit for press and dedicated Tony Hawk fan channels, most of which had some very sharp criticism of both THPS HD and THPS5, and literally ALL the coverage was positive. Not just the sponsored content, but all the content.

Aside from that, I love these games so much that I still found some enjoyment in THPS HD and THPS5 (I played it years later after loads of updates, and it's still pretty bad), so I felt the risk was worth it. But I also don't blame people for wanting to try it themselves before they buy, especially those not familiar with the series, and I hope the publisher allows people to do that soon.

This is Andy THPS, btw:

Last edited:

Darko

Interesting! I actually managed to get my Tony Hawk digital copy refunded by Sony despite having played the demo for like 20h! Niiiice. Didn’t know they refunded stuff like this.
qP9siZJ.gif

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Confirmed. I got my money back AND the demo is in my library... soooo...

Guardian's Light Guardian's Light One other quick example:

This sort of thing happens with years of practice. If people can do this after the demo has been out for four days, that's a good indication that this probably feels pretty darn similar to the original games.

Definitely looks awesome, but still, very sad the demo is locked :( if I'll have the chance to download if for free after launch, and it convinces me with pad, I'll buy it asap

LegendOfKage

Gold Member
Still can’t wallplant consistently.
I’ve done it a few times by accident tho.

Are you using the d-pad or the analog stick? Due to the very quick motions required by this game, I'd never want to use the analog. There aren't many games outside of 2D platformers that I'd say that about, but it's very true with THPS.

If I did a bad job describing it, you don't need to press back and jump at the same time. You only need to be holding back (down on the d-pad) as you hit the wall, and then just jump either right as you hit the wall, or right before. Once you get the timing, it can be done pretty reliably.

LegendOfKage

Gold Member
The goals of the first level have leaked, due to people digging around in the data of the PC demo. As expected, the point total for each goals is going up quite a bit, which is a pretty needed change. Here's how each goal has changed from the original release of the game, to the download only THPS HD, to the new remake.

Original THPS > THPS HD > THPS 1+2 Remake
High score: 5,000 > 10,000 > 10,000
Pro score: 15,000 > 25,000 > 50,000
Sick score: N/A > 75,000 > 100,000
Collect Skate: Same goal in all three versions.
Secret Tape: Same goal in all three versions.
Smash 5 Boxes: Same goal in all three versions.
Collect 5 items: N/A > Collect shipping manifests > Collect hydrants

Goals that appeared in THPS HD, but are not found in THPS Remake:
Grind five small quarter pipes
Kickflip over the pipe
100$ of goals and cash

New goals created for THPS Remake:
High combo: 7,500
50-50 The big rail gap
Ollie a channel gap

Last edited:

LegendOfKage

Gold Member
So you can use the original controls for each game, I'm sold!

No, and I'll have to clarify my point. Those are just the goals as they appeared in each game. You can use the original controls for THPS1 and THPS2, but we don't know if the goals will change based on the version of the controls that you decide to use.

Last edited:

Blond

Banned
No, and I'll have to clarify my point. Those are just the goals as they appeared in each game. You can use the original controls for THPS1 and THPS2, but we don't know if the goals will change based on the version of the controls that you decide to use.

Oh it's just a general deceleration. I hope they do adjust the goals because unless they expand on some of the levels some of these score goals are going to be so broken.

Last edited:

LegendOfKage

Gold Member
Oh it's just a general deceleration. I hope they do adjust the goals because unless expand on some of the levels some of these score goals are going to be so broken.

Right, we know that the new goals are going to be higher due to the combo linking moves that weren't in the original versions of these games, such as the revert. What we don't know is if there will be an optional set of goals for players who want the original experience with the classic move set. I'm hoping for both, but we'll have to wait and see.

Anyhow, here's some gameplay of the new goals as they appear in the remake:

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
I need to figure out how to do bigger combos.
I feel like I only know how to play like I’m playing the original.
I am a little late on this, but Tony Hawk's is all about building up momentum to gain air so you can perform more and better tricks, all while staying in a combo. Knowledge of the map is important to know how the get up to speed again or use effective lines.

Something you can do in almost any level is hit a grind near a wall for speed, then do a wallgrind for air and then a special trick. Ideally you land on another rail or do a manual.
If you slow down while in a combo you should look for the next possible grind or perform a "space walk".

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i pre ordered the game, but it was the physical edition.

is there any way for me to play the demo? or is it for digital pre-order only?

LegendOfKage

Gold Member
i pre ordered the game, but it was the physical edition.

is there any way for me to play the demo? or is it for digital pre-order only?

Sadly, no. The good news is the full game is only about two weeks away.

Not that this will benefit you, but I also have to say I think the publishers will be making a fairly large mistake if they don't make the demo available to everyone after the game's release. There's a huge word of mouth potential for this game, much like there was originally.

Case in point, here's a Skate 3 you tuber who never played the series before:

Last edited:
Top Bottom