• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Too Human – Stand and be counted

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
It does seem a tiny bit off for the game to suddenly be expected to be stellar when originally it was expected to be one of the worst games this year if not this generation.

the ever changing goalposts shouldn't surprise people. It's hardly new! lol.

Kittonwy

Banned
Chrange said:
You're right, out of the hundreds and hundreds of games released in a year you couldn't POSSIBLY take two away and still say you were better than "most" - right?

Yeah let's take away two of the highest profile games on the two platforms in order to make up your list, would you like it better if we define "most" in terms of games of 2008 with a metacritic score of 60 and under? Would you be more comfortable with that definition?
Indifferent2.gif

Kittonwy said:
Yeah let's take away two of the highest profile games on the two platforms in order to make up your list, would you like it better if we define "most" in terms of games of 2008 with a metacritic score of 60 and under? Would you be more comfortable with that definition?
Indifferent2.gif

:lol

Just go back the Uncharted thread and continue masturbating.

Speevy said:
Yeah, I didn't expect it either. But I didn't get rid of my Xbox 360. It belongs to a relative now.

Speevy you just admitted that you gave away your 360 to a relative so what's your point in entering every 360 thread and trolling? You don't like the system, we get it, move along.

Kittonwy

Banned
DCharlie said:
of the X thousand games out this year, i'd imagine they'd average out around 6-7 out of 10, as that's what the vast majority of games garner.

so , to be BETTER than most, he needs to be above those.

How on EARTH do you come to the conclusions that it has to be a top tier game? that's willfully playing dumb.

He said he feels it's the best game they've ever made, so if you go by that Too Human would have to be better than Eternal Darkness which has a metacritic score of 92.
Indifferent2.gif

Narag

Kittonwy said:
Indifferent2.gif

So if it comes in at #3 behind those two, would it still not be better than most or what? I don't get the namedropping of those two games here.

TheHeretic said:
The best way to make Too Human fail is to set the bar for success so high it becomes inevitable.

85% 90% bar is too high? The best SK game? "I feel Too Human is a great game, likely to be better than most that will come out this year"

Bar too high?

DCharlie

i am lost for words. Are you really this thick?

MOST games = the majority, in numbers, of games released this year
of which, a certain SMALL percentage gain 90+ reviews.

YOUR take is that it has to out do them all.

If DD had said "will be the best game of the year" (as you seem to originally claim he did say , which means you DIDN'T read the OP) then you'd be right, but right now you are wrong and looking like someone trying to avoid a month's holiday.

Speevy

Banned
OnBackOrder said:
Speevy you just admitted that you gave away your 360 to a relative so what's your point in entering every 360 thread and trolling? You don't like the system, we get it, move along.

I don't enter every 360 thread. At all. Where on earth did you get this idea?

$1148 Jack said:
85% 90% bar is too high? The best SK game? "I feel Too Human is a great game, likely to be better than most that will come out this year"

Bar too high?

85% is reasonable, those weren't the original terms. 90% is unreasonable and were the original terms.

Eternal Darkness was a launch game of last generation which tend to review a little better than something coming out in the middle of a generation. If the scores are anywhere close his opinion is completely valid. You might like Uncharted more than Gears, and no-one would starting quoting numbers to prove you wrong now would they?

Chrange

Banned
Kittonwy said:
Indifferent2.gif

You're obviously having a great deal of trouble with the concept, so click here.

I blame the public school system.

TheChaos

bishoptl said:
developers fighting the internet is like 300 lb chicks engaging in mud wrestling

We all get dirty

and nobody is satisfied

:lol :lol :lol It's funny 'cause it's true.

Can somebody please give me a synopsis of what happened here? Something about Dyack making a challenge to EvilLore or something. Like hell I'm reading through 35 pages.

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
$h@d0w said:
Dyack has lost a sale of his game from the creation of this thread.

I don't understand this kind of logic. I mean, I think Ryan Adams is a fucking cock, but I still love Whiskeytown.

DCharlie

He said he feels it's the best game they've ever made, so if you go by that Too Human would have to be better than Eternal Darkness which has a metacritic score of 92.

stop , just stop.

so - metacritic is the byline now? we can all agree that Denis wrote one of THE games of all time? I'm pretty sure i remember him getting a damned good trashing around these parts.

If i start a thread saying "Eternal Darkness >>> Uncharted" i assume you'll come in and agree given that now -you've- established that Metacritic is the be all, end all indicator of quality.

Seriously, the hypocracy is laughable.

DD / SK Are crap , ED was over rated! TH will be a trainwreck ---> ED was a 90% game, has to top that, all hail metacritic...

AS much as EB tried to tie him into that bet, it's back firing because all the SonyCronies are queuing up with inane, badly though post after post after post.

DD might be as mad as a balloon, but he's exposed a load of you with EB's help.

Kittonwy

Banned
DCharlie said:
i am lost for words. Are you really this thick?

MOST games = the majority, in numbers, of games released this year
of which, a certain SMALL percentage gain 90+ reviews.

YOUR take is that it has to out do them all.

If DD had said "will be the best game of the year" (as you seem to originally claim he did say , which means you DIDN'T read the OP) then you'd be right, but right now you are wrong and looking like someone trying to avoid a month's holiday.

Gaining 90+ metacritic actually WOULD mean the game would be better than most of the games coming out this year.

FightyF

Banned
Kittonwy said:
It depends on how good Dyack thinks his game is, if it's supposed to be the best game that comes out this year then it has to beat GTAIV's metacritic score of 98 and MGS4's 94, if we take him literally then Dyack's game has to be better than the rest of the games coming out this year even if he doesn't want to be compared to GTAIV or MGS4, the only other big games this year are basically Gears and Resistance 2.

Frankly I find it rather disingenuous to propose a bet and then tell the other side "not to set the bar too high so I can win otherwise you show your true colors", it's like someone tells you he'll punch you in the face and then you can hit him back but not too hard because he doesn't want to be knocked out and lose the fight, you have to make it so that you give him a good chance to win otherwise he labels you as having a predisposed motherfucking bias, that kind of shit is just CRAZY.

Evilore is manning the fuck up and putting up the dough, he can set the bar as high as he wants, there's no need to resort to kids gloves, reasonable developers don't fucking go to forums and telling people if you're not for my game I'm going to fucking own you when it comes out and if the press thinks it's as good as I want them to think.
Indifferent2.gif

What the hell?

Stop and think for a second man.

Why would he even make any challange to GAF of all forums? It's because the mods here have been calling it a shit game.

So why should the bet be any different here?

Stop and use your brains people. He's not challenging any forum.

He's not here to prove his game is the best. He's here to CALL PEOPLE OUT and point out their blatant double standards here.

For your benefit Kittonwy, I'll repost a summary of what's happening.

Summary:
GAF mods: Game is gonna be shit, troll to your hearts content guys
Dyack: It's not going to be shit. If it is, change my tag
GAF mods: Ok, the deal is the game has to be STELLAR, if not you have to donate $1000.

How is Evilore "manning up" by changing the bet?

Gbeav

Banned
80 and over, that's what I consider a decent yet unspectacular game.

I get whatever you want as a title. You get "jackass of the year"

bj00rn_

Banned
bud said:
you see, this is why most people are hating on the game, and you. you should learn to be modest.

"You see", this is why most normal people are hating on message boards and petty snobbery. "most people"/potential buyers don't read message boards, so stop trying to glue on some kind of artificial weight on the behalf of an imaginary "most people". Besides I'm a part of this elitist snobberific community too and I don't even agree with you.

Proc

This game is being hyped as a diablo clone. How is being a clone a good thing? Especially when the creators of said game are on the cusp of announcing a true follow up (obviously not in the same time frame as too human, but it will most likely make too human seem flat). You brag about all the the loot in the game, but who gives a shit if you can only show said loot to one other person in a very private game. I'm against this game until I see otherwise and approaching with caution.

DCharlie said:
stop , just stop.

so - metacritic is the byline now? we can all agree that Denis wrote one of THE games of all time? I'm pretty sure i remember him getting a damned good trashing around these parts.

If i start a thread saying "Eternal Darkness >>> Uncharted" i assume you'll come in and agree given that now -you've- established that Metacritic is the be all, end all indicator of quality.

Seriously, the hypocracy is laughable.

DD / SK Are crap , ED was over rated! TH will be a trainwreck ---> ED was a 90% game, has to top that, all hail metacritic...

AS much as EB tried to tie him into that bet, it's back firing because all the SonyCronies are queuing up with inane, badly though post after post after post.

DD might be as mad as a balloon, but he's exposed a load of you with EB's help.

I love ED and would gladly say say it is better than uncharted IMO but this has nothing to do with metacritic. As I said IMO. As far as metacritic/gamerankings go what else is there? I can't see any other way around it if you want to quantify something as 'good' or 'bad' for the purposes of this thread.

Ra\/en

this thread is quite long.

I'm surprised that the gaf rumblings about an unreleased game offended a developer such as mr. dyack so much that he had to create this thread.

geez. create the game you want, and if it is good, people will like it as well. This thread is fairly childish though. Dyack seems a little insecure. take it like an artist! seriously. if you are happy with the product, take personal satisfaction in that!

Mdk7

Wow, what a thread!
I just read a few pages randomly and got impressed by the amount of people that jumped on the "FOR" wagon... Weren't we bashing this one? :lol
and a big LOL to Dennis for comparing his latest effort to masterpieces such as Haze or Lair, really.

Anyway, i liked a lot Eternal Darkness and i do think that Silicon Knights ARE talented developers... but i do feel that Too Human is gonna be a fiasco (even if i wanted to like it, the latest video i've seen was shockingly fugly) so count me as AGAINST.
Nothing personal of course, i'm not one of the Dyack haters for sure.

How about this:

Metacritic score of 90 plus: Clear cut victory for the Fors. Dyack rides into the sunset.

85-90: Mexican stand-off. Nobody gets owned.

84 or under: Dyack & his deputies are gunned down & the Againsts stride into the saloon.

Another_visitor said:
How about this:

Metacritic score of 90 plus: Clear cut victory for the Fors. Dyack rides into the sunset.

85-90: Mexican stand-off. Nobody gets owned.

84 or under: Dyack & his deputies are gunned down & the Againsts stride into the saloon.

nah, its pretty hard to get over 85, I say 85 and over the For's have the nod

DCharlie

Gaining 90+ metacritic actually WOULD mean the game would be better than most of the games coming out this year

as would scoring about 68.

can you REALLY not see what i'm saying?

mr_bishiuk said:
nah, its pretty hard to get over 85, I say 85 and over the For's have the nod
Even universally revered games like Civilization Revolution are hovering in the 80-85 range. This will ultimately boil down to how many moneyhats MSFT hands out to corrupt gaming journalists.

Dear me, all this talk about what metacritic score decides a good game, how many copies it has to sell in NPDs.... There is only ONE man who can cut through the crap and give the ultimate thumbs-up or thumbs-down.

CropperCapture11.jpg

B-Rad Lascelle said:
Even universally revered games like Civilization Revolution are hovering in the 80-85 range. This will ultimately boil down to how many moneyhats MSFT hands out to corrupt gaming journalists.

Thats right its all about the money hats! I dont know why companies use metacritic as a basis of staff bonus's and decision making really, they should just ask MS what they are going to do

I'm still reading the thread but I thought I'd chuck out a reply before I forgot.

To all the people bitching and commentating on how this is immature? Why are you taking it so seriously, this is a videogames forum. Who are you trying to impress with your "so unprofessional" shtick?

Unless you work for Microsoft, kindly shut up.

I still think my idea of measuring the reviewers average from publications that reviewed previous SK games and Too Human is the fairest instead of spending another 10 pages debating what percentile it should recieve on metacritic.

Because Eternal Darkness was GameCube exclusive, and Too Human is 360 exclusive there is going to be some degree of console advocacy in single format press. By keeping it to multiformat sites and magazines, EGM, Edge, GamesTM, Eurogamer, IGN, 1UP, GameSpot etc. You are able to cut out the Nintendo and 360 fan mags which to be blunt are not in equal proportion today as they were in 2002.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
stand and deliver baby!

AGAINST, and i would like to have an 'owned by dyack' tag. which other dev would be so ego-wounded and defensive as to post something like this, knowing that they had a great product that could just speak for itself?

xbhaskarx

CowboyAstronaut said:
That did pretty much sum it up.

It does seem a tiny bit off for the game to suddenly be expected to be stellar when originally it was expected to be one of the worst games this year if not this generation.

So is Too Human going to be a terrible game or just a good game that not everyone likes?

Exactly, the trolls got called out and now they're backtracking and using Dyack's OP to change the goalposts that they had already set ("shitty game") a long long time ago... and that were the reason Dyack created this thread.

freddy

Banned
Lots of bias exposed here. Clever thread indeed.

I'm not really interested in Too Human. I liked the concept back in 2001/2 but the game has completely changed now. Hope it does well for you though.

I'd love another game in the ilk of Eternal Darkness, that was superb.

El-Suave

Against - might change though if the demo has an introduction video explaining why the things I'm about to witness will be great and maybe a video after the demo reassuring me what I just played was truly epic.

xbhaskarx

mr_bishiuk said:
Well Uncharted got an 88 on metacritic so lets call it 88 or over?!

So a shitty game (according to GAF) has to be better than a top 2 PS3 game (according to GAF) in order to be vindicated?

Wow, that is worse than IGN's Commando 3 review. Quit trolling the PS3 dude!

chase

El-Suave said:
Against - might change though if the demo has an introduction video explaining why the things I'm about to witness will be great and maybe a video after the demo reassuring me what I just played was truly epic.

You are such a clever mousey! I'm so proud of you.

Sleeker

I'm an emotionally ill sycophant who hangs around internet forums where I spend most of my time complaining and taking personal offense to things that don't interest me/ affect me.
Then I put on a fake "my life is great" act even though I am seriously lacking in healthy relationships and a sense of purpose.
"Against" Too Human.....

........No, I'm on the level. - "For".
I'm interested in the RPG elements of Too Human.

Night_Trekker said:
Denis, this is a really bad idea. Just make the game as great as you can and people will have no choice but to eat their serving of crow.

That is one good move, but if the game turns out to be really good then this thread will have been completely worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom