• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Too Human cover story in EGM - "I will never give gaf an exclusive" says Dyack'

Status
Not open for further replies.

White Man

Mr_Moogle said:
Crap voice acting? Theres barely any difference.

You think the original is more palpable than the remake? The original may have been more understated but NO MGS game has ever been realistic and the remake is as much a spy drama as the first game.

....and why are you taking a shot at anime?

Sorry, duder, we're going to have to agree to disagree. I figured it was common knowledge that the voice acting had taken a huge hit between previous games and Twin Snakes.

And no, no MGS game has ever been realistic, but MGS1 was never as over the top as those silly custscenes in the remake.

Why am I taking a shot at anime? The ratio of shitty US shows and shitty anime is about equal. AKA, revolting.

The Jaffeman said:
You guys didn't run me off...I've been here the whole time, just reaidng and lurking

And Dennis, don't let the haters get you down. With some of them, you just can't win. And I really mean that. I mean, I still get people telling me I'm overrated like it's some kind of insult when I've been fucking telling THEM that I'm overrated for over a year. I mean, do you haters think I actually think I am as talented as Kojima and/or Miyamoto? Do you guys think we don't KNOW that GOD OF WAR is not meant to stand toe to toe (combat mechanics wise) with DMC and NG? Hell, tell me something I don't know...like why your mom's twat was so fucking loose last night. That's info I'm looking for, you know?

But yeah, It's hard to get some of the haters to see that I don't really care. What am I going to do, stop making games because some people don't like me or my work? It would seem that is the goal for them as they put so much time into typing up the L'll insults n stuff....

...but I dig GAF...it's a fun place. And alot of the guys/gals here are really nice and supportive (even if they don't dig my work). So to those guys, I say thanks!

But to all of you douchbag name callers, bring it on baby

David

You're good people, Jaffe. At the very least you're much better than Dyack. Dyack makes you look like the Mother Theresa of videogames. Dyack is like the non-entertaining Roger Corman.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Mr_Moogle said:
I starting to think I should play GOW to see what all the fuss is about.
in a word: awesome.

and it's a GH now so at 20 bucks you can't go wrong it, definite buy.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
White Man said:
Sorry, duder, we're going to have to agree to disagree. I figured it was common knowledge that the voice acting had taken a huge hit between previous games and Twin Snakes.

The biggest problem with TT's voice acting was that despite getting all the original actors, they all lost their appropriate accents. Mei Ling didn't have a Hong Kong accent, and Naomi wasn't English. That was just crap.

White Man

TheTrin said:
The biggest problem with TT's voice acting was that despite getting all the original actors, they all lost their appropriate accents. Mei Ling didn't have a Hong Kong accent, and Naomi wasn't English. That was just crap.

I thought everything sounded very dialed in.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
White Man said:
I thought everything sounded very dialed in.

Which I find totally odd. It's not like they hadn't done the SAME LINES before.

davidjaffe said:
You guys didn't run me off...I've been here the whole time, just reaidng and lurking :)

And Dennis, don't let the haters get you down. With some of them, you just can't win. And I really mean that. I mean, I still get people telling me I'm overrated like it's some kind of insult when I've been fucking telling THEM that I'm overrated for over a year. I mean, do you haters think I actually think I am as talented as Kojima and/or Miyamoto?
You're no Dennis Dyack.

White Man

Ark-AMN said:
lol, Denis and David are probably going to make a hit-list of GAF members they hate and take em out at E3. :lol

David shouldn't associate with Denis. Lord knows that all the Shakespeares and philosophers and Nintendos and Kojimas haven't done jack. Please don't listen to a talent vacuum, Jaffe.

TheTrin said:
So fucking true. Ninja Gaiden is a good game, but when you have 6 weapons, and only one is worth using, you've got a serious problem.
How is that a good comparison? *sigh* Can I respect David Jaffe for what he is without making retarded statements like this?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Fucking hell, GAF is making me hate my favourite hobby.

Is it impossible to be in the middle? Is that hard to not hate something with your guts or masturbate to it?

Battersea Power Station said:
How is that a good comparison? *sigh* Can I respect David Jaffe for what he is without making retarded statements like this?
He was involved with bringing Twisted Metal back to its old greatness with TM:Black right? I can respect him for that as well. Looking at the games he's been involved with, he makes damn fun games, if nothing else.

Mr_Moogle

Error2k4 said:
in a word: awesome.

and it's a GH now so at 20 bucks you can't go wrong it, definite buy.

I just picked up my PAL copy of Dragon Quest VIII so I'm focussing my attention on that. I'll pick up a second hand copy of GOW on ebay after I'm done with DQ.

White Man said:

I think its ridiculous to say that it took a "huge hit". I would go so far to say that its not quite as good as it was in the original but only very slightly. I was annoyed about the accent change in Mei Ling but I barely took notice of the other changes.

There were a few scenes where the delivery didn't sound as genuine as the original but in the context of the whole game, these were very minor problems. You make it sound like the whole game had terrible VA when 90% of the time, it was delivered in exactly the same way.

I played through the original on my playstation many times so its not like I dont appreciate the source material.

I suppose the cut scenes are just a matter of personal taste. I didn't really mind the over-the-top cinematics. I mean, we are talking about a game with giant walking robots here.

Eternal Darkness was a fun game. Twin Snakes was a fun game, but sort of unnecessary. Too Human will probably end up being a fun game as well. Keeping modest expectations is the key to avoiding disappointment and ending up as a bitter jerkwad ranting at developers over the internet.

Burger

People generally don't hate a certain developer, they just hate the game. Fuck I paid $60 for Eternal Darkness, I didn't hate it and I didn't love it, and I don't really care who Denis Dyack is either.

The thing that gets us here at GAF riled up is when a developer starts banging the war drums regarding their new game, all the while stroking his cock and telling us how it's going to be better than all our other games.

My favorite game is Super Mario 3, or Ico, whatever, and you want to tell me your game is better ? FUCK YOU.

Burger said:
The thing that gets us here at GAF riled up is when a developer starts banging the war drums regarding their new game, all the while stroking his cock and telling us how it's going to be better than all our other games.

My favorite game is Super Mario 3, or Ico, whatever, and you want to tell me your game is better ? FUCK YOU.
He's just passionate about his work. People embellish, we need to learn to get over it.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
Denis Dyack said:
which continued with a tirade from MrSandonic accusing the forum of “not reading” (LOL – nice find)

I think your mis-spelling of my name is probably quite indicative of why you take my posts so seriously. But I'll just point out that I linked to this interview - http://www.planetgamecube.com/specialArt.cfm?artid=2000 - and not to the fake quotes attributed to you. You know, perhaps I read the interview, and I still laughed at the nonsense you said back then...perhaps?

Denis, I also find it highly ironic that in your post dealing with "fake quotes" and distortion of comments, you decide to "quote" something that I didn't say and then inaccurately label it "a tirade". What I said was "people usually read an entire sentence", which would then bring to light your implicit statement that Too Human was the perfect entertainment experience.

And then when you insinuate that people are mentally handicapped by calling them "special"....And you didn't tell us whether Miyamoto & Iwata are Marx & Engels. Pretty poor show overall.

davidjaffe said:

awesome

This is the thread of legend. I seriously don't know how it could get any better unless Kojima showed up and started spamming pictures of pandas.

Mr Bob: give credit were credits due. if im gonna hold anyone responsible for 99 Nights sucking, it's going to be Phantagram.

don't let anyone else tell you Mizuguchi did more than act as an artistic stylist for the game. even if he did move to korea :D

xsarien

daedsiluap
I just want to tell all of you that this shrieking index of pithy remarks, retorts spectacular in their verbosity, and commentaries from armchair game designers, real game designers, journalists, reviewers, and average joes is why I love this place so.

xsarien said:
I just want to tell all of you that this shrieking index of pithy remarks, retorts spectacular in their verbosity, and commentaries from armchair game designers, real game designers, journalists, reviewers, and average joes is why I love this place so.
I just want to tell you that I'm trashed.

Monk

Banned
Denis Dyack said:
Classic. People love to hate around here. I especially laughed at the point where ruby_onix "Actually, … paraphrased some…" interviews “a bit” which continued with a tirade from MrSandonic accusing the forum of “not reading” (LOL – nice find), finally ending with Mike Works’ Tourette’s syndrome grand finale.

Some of you are very "special".

:lol

Yes we are. I bet you half of the hate for you comes from your love of shakesphere as many people think he is formulaic and overrated. BTW are we ever going to see an online version of "Dark Legions" for XBLA?

Hero

interview said:
PGC: Has there ever been any time where you’ve reconsidered going back to a Sony (or Microsoft) platform?

DD: No. I know that our experience has been nothing but positive, and we really value working with Nintendo. Nintendo has been a strong supporter of Silicon Knights, we get along great with everyone and we get tremendous support and we feel (like) part of the family. Silicon Knights has no intention whatsoever of ever making a game for any other platform besides Nintendo. We’re very happy. I’ll tell you, working with Nintendo is like working with the great masters, with Aristotle. When Miyamoto-san says something, it’s always very detailed and always very insightful and always very knowledgeable. Some of the people there with the least experience at Nintendo have more experience than anyone else in North America on making games. So this is not something to be taking lightly … we consider it a great opportunity, and we just can’t say enough good things and we’re very, very happy.

This thread is made of gold and win.

Solid

Goddamn both Dyack and Jaffe in the same thread. Am I dreaming or what? GAF is the Hollywood of Gaming :lol

Btw I love you two guys. Keep doing great games, I cant live without them.

bud

davidjaffe said:
You guys didn't run me off...I've been here the whole time, just reaidng and lurking :)

And Dennis, don't let the haters get you down. With some of them, you just can't win. And I really mean that. I mean, I still get people telling me I'm overrated like it's some kind of insult when I've been fucking telling THEM that I'm overrated for over a year. I mean, do you haters think I actually think I am as talented as Kojima and/or Miyamoto? Do you guys think we don't KNOW that GOD OF WAR is not meant to stand toe to toe (combat mechanics wise) with DMC and NG? Hell, tell me something I don't know...like why your mom's twat was so fucking loose last night. That's info I'm looking for, you know?

But yeah, It's hard to get some of the haters to see that I don't really care. What am I going to do, stop making games because some people don't like me or my work? It would seem that is the goal for them as they put so much time into typing up the L'll insults n stuff....

...but I dig GAF...it's a fun place. And alot of the guys/gals here are really nice and supportive (even if they don't dig my work). So to those guys, I say thanks!

But to all of you douchbag name callers, bring it on baby :)

David

You just made me go out and buy GoW.

srsly

What am I going to do, stop making games because some people don't like me or my work?

I suggest you channel it all into twisting the arms, and breaking the necks of the people who are preventing War of the Monsters for the PS3 from happening. :D

Kobold

half-wit retard monkey's ass
I'm opposed to idolizing anyone, but it's clear to any reasonable eye that this thread is full of frustrated people that get a kick out of unreasonably calling people names as if they could do it all better and somehow have a right to.

Untill all those haters make a game that is better then anything Mr. Jaffe of Mr. Dyack made, they need to shut up and respect someone elses hard work. They don't know what the hell went on during the development of those games, what the team had a chance to do or not, or what they had yet to learn or not. As if every game is supposed to please them in particular and no one else, or it would be crap.

Most of the people here are just a bunch of jaded simpletons that just relish in offending people beyond all reason. Sad business. There is a clear difference between constructive critisism while respecting someone, or plain offensive behavior out of frustrations and lack of knowledge.

That last thing screams 'Welcome to GAF' I guess. Even the admin seems to be just another malicious jerk.

Burger

Kobold said:
Untill all those haters make a game that is better then anything Mr. Jaffe of Mr. Dyack made, they need to shut up and respect someone elses hard work. They don't know what the hell went on during the development of those games, what the team had a chance to do or not, or what they had yet to learn or not. As if every game is supposed to please them in particular and no one else, or it would be crap.

Hahaha no.

Everyone has the god damn right to be a critic. If I paid $50 for a game then I own it and I can call it whatever the hell I like.

If I think it's a pile of shit then thats that. I don't have to suck up to some guy I don't know and be all "Well I really didn't like it but I totally respect that you guys worked hard to make this game, even though I hated it."

I'm good at my 9-5 job, but clients reject work I do all the time, some asshats are even quite vocal about it sometimes but so what ? Thats their right, they are the customer, just like we all are here.

Kobold

Burger said:
Hahaha no.

Everyone has the god damn right to be a critic. If I paid $50 for a game then I own it and I can call it whatever the hell I like.

If I think it's a pile of shit then thats that. I don't have to suck up to some guy I don't know and be all "Well I really didn't like it but I totally respect that you guys worked hard to make this game, even though I hated it."

I'm good at my 9-5 job, but clients reject work I do all the time, some asshats are even quite vocal about it sometimes but so what ? Thats their right, they are the customer, just like we all are here.
Welcome to 'it's just an opinion-ville', you don't need to share it. I like a pleasant world of respect and reasoning to figure stuff out, you like proudly cussing someones pants of if it isnt going the way you like.

Fine by me, you reap what you sow. :)

Frank

Kobold said:
I'm opposed to idolizing anyone, but it's clear to any reasonable eye that this thread is full of frustrated people that get a kick out of unreasonably calling people names as if they could do it all better and somehow have a right to.

Most of the people here are just a bunch of jaded simpletons that just relish in offending people beyond all reason. Sad business. There is a clear difference between constructive critisism while respecting someone, or plain offensive behavior out of frustrations and lack of knowledge.

That last thing screams 'Welcome to GAF' I guess. Even the admin seems to be just another malicious jerk.

^^

There's a bit of a difference between picking on someone out of the blue and disrespecting his work, and picking on someone who definitely sets himself up for the ridicule and disrespects the money and the time that you invest in playing the game he spurted out.

We're not here to service the developers and nod, yell and tear our t-shirts off, offering our new-borns up for an autograph just because they make games.

If you are to invest a hefty amount of money to make a game, spend at least a couple of years making it and possibly destroy a few people's health or relationships with their spouses because of the whooshing deadlines flying by, then fcking do it right and do a game worthy of hype and new-born signings.

Don't do a lousy job, hype it as the second coming just for us to find out that it's not only a box full of shit but it's a like a box full of russian dolls made of shit.

(note that this post is just a rumbling in response to the above post, as I'm not familiar enough with Dyack's work to actually be able to straight-face call him a lunatic)

Burger

Kobold said:
Welcome to 'it's just an opinion-ville', you don't need to share it. I like a pleasant world of respect and reasoning to figure stuff out, you like proudly cussing someones pants of if it isnt going the way you like.

Fine by me, you reap what you sow. :)

Just like I said in my post above, I'm not here to rag on any developer on a personal level... I could care less.

I can comment on the games I demo or purchase, for or against with a perfectly clear conscience though. I'm not cussing anyones pants off.

In a perfect world, we would be able to cast all the judgements we like publicly about developers (the whole, the company), whereas they would cast none about us.

Frank

DieNgamers said:

I'm confused as I am not hardened by the GAF ways and can't decide if I should throw some more coals into the le-ole-flame-troll-machine or laugh with you :)

So, we laugh together or do we start spurting shit at each other like two old monkeys on a late-night slightly embarassing Discovery show?

Kobold

Frank said:
^^

There's a bit of a difference between picking on someone out of the blue and disrespecting his work, and picking on someone who definitely sets himself up for the ridicule and disrespects the money and the time that you invest in playing the game he spurted out.

We're not here to service the developers and nod, yell and tear our t-shirts off, offering our new-borns up for an autograph just because they make games.

If you are to invest a hefty amount of money to make a game, spend at least a couple of years making it and possibly destroy a few people's health or relationships with their spouses because of the whooshing deadlines flying by, then fcking do it right and do a game worthy of hype and new-born signings.

Don't do a lousy job, hype it as the second coming just for us to find out that it's not only a box full of shit but it's a like a box full of russian dolls made of shit.

(note that this post is just a rumbling in response to the above post, as I'm not familiar enough with Dyack's work to actually be able to straight-face call him a lunatic)

I'm not saying I don't understand people who are displeased with a game. Hell, I'm a game reviewer, I've played polished turds as much as the next guy here. However, maybe I don't like the game but others do. For example I don't like Ninja Gaiden. Way too hard and 'clunky' feeling in my eyes. I like the Prince of Persia trilogy far and far more. So from this perspective, as a reviewer, I should also be able to take in not just what I think and I want and me, me, me, me! but also what would be appealing to others and share an objective look at the product.

This doesn't have to do with a score or anything, but it has to do with factors outside of that. I don't know what budgets they had, what hurdles they crossed, what other factors attributed to the execution of the final game as such which made it good or bad. Plus the fact that there are people who don't share my opinion and actually liked the game or didn't like the game. This is the unthankful task of the reviewer. Set down your opinions, but don't let those opinions close your mind to the facts at hand and look at the subject objectively and put it in perspective in your own mind.

So, it's pretty easy for people here to rant on Denis of Jaffe, but they are not 'the team' that made the game, nor do these people know them personally to be able to judge them as such they have done in this thread.

If you think you know someone from a set of interviews, and like to call someone on some supposed personal faults as a result you really need to examine yourself closely. Your knowledge of life is in short supply.

Especially since the reason is 'You don't like their game' bubububu. I simply don't see the reasoning that goes into peoples tirades to burn someone down. You are just conditioning yourself to set up his or her next game as a bad game, even though, if you approached it from another perspective, you might love it and it would rival the second coming of Jesus Christ for you.

See how this hype and these opinions and all this bullshit is all spewed forth not from 'fact', but from a perspective you are forcing over yourself because of some kind of frustration, that quite possibly has nothing to do with gaming.

So, sure anyone 'may' do that, it’s fine by me. I'm just saying I don't see the logic and reasoning behind it, not to mention that it is in no way constructive for you or that person in the long and short run. So why bother cursing at someone you don't know, just because you did not like their game?

Did you like Marathon, or Myth before you played Halo? I'm pretty sure the hypocrisy of this whole thing is humongous when you are looking into this. I bet most of these people hate games that their supposed 'gods' (also quite stupid to idolize people, don't get me wrong) have helped create. It's just silly in my eyes. :)

Burger said:
In a perfect world, we would be able to cast all the judgements we like publicly about developers (the whole, the company), whereas they would cast none about us.
In a perfect world you wouldn't need to, now would you? :)

Plus, I did say that you can talk constructive critisism? (obviously!!) I never said you should just let your gripes die with you. I'm talking about this perverted orgy of personal insults to the persons of Jaffe and Dyack which are simply unbased and the product of ignorance. it has nothing to do with critisism, it's plain simply a gorgefest for the jelous, frustrated and ignorant on the mauled body of public figures.

Tellaerin

Monk said:
Yes we are. I bet you half of the hate for you comes from your love of shakesphere as many people think he is formulaic and overrated.

Let's face it, half of the posters on NeoGAF claim everything is formulaic and overrated. Unless it's something that's in vogue around here, in which case it gets a free pass, no matter how legitimately cliched it happens to be. When it comes to plot and characterization in videogames, this generally isn't the place I'd look for deep insights. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom