• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Too Human Official Thread of Hack-n-Loot

border said:
Except that the Battle Cries don't really help when there are two trolls piled on top of each other and a dozen incoming missiles from enemies you can't see. It's not a buff that helps you survive. Better attack speed or melee juggle damage are not very useful for just getting through tough sections.

I think part of the problem is that the game is only 2 player and that some of these effects might scale better had this been a 4 player game.

Imagine 4 guys running into a room stuffed with enemies. Having one guy buff your move speed, another guy make every hit into a launcher, a third giving extra air combo damage, and a bioengineer standing by with a heal... such a team working together to coordinate attacks (one guy launches, his partner right behind him jumps and starts working on the enemy in the air while the first moves to a new target on the ground) would make short work of anything except multiple troll rooms.

What could have been...

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
border said:
Except that the Battle Cries don't really help when there are two trolls piled on top of each other and a dozen incoming missiles from enemies you can't see. It's not a buff that helps you survive. Better attack speed or melee juggle damage are not very useful for just getting through tough sections.

Well the only one I've used is the one on the right side and it makes every enemy vulnerable to critical attacks. So my attacks pretty much triple. That makes a huge difference when I'm trying to clear out some room so I can get to the rocket enemies.
It's not perfect but I feel it gives me a chance (most of the time).
Sometimes the game is just plain cruel.

wayward archer said:
I think part of the problem is that the game is only 2 player and that some of these effects might scale better had this been a 4 player game.

Imagine 4 guys running into a room stuffed with enemies. Having one guy buff your move speed, another guy make every hit into a launcher, a third giving extra air combo damage, and a bioengineer standing by with a heal... such a team working together to coordinate attacks (one guy launches, his partner right behind him jumps and starts working on the enemy in the air while the first moves to a new target on the ground) would make short work of anything except multiple troll rooms.

What could have been...

I totally agree. There are so many times in this game that you can tell that it wasn't supposed to be a two player game.

Raide

I know most people think that all 5 classes play the same but that just ain't true. The more you play Too Human, the more you figure out how each class works and also how they work in a group.

I usually play a Commando too (Lvl 42) and I have a Berserker at (40+) and they play very differently when you actually get into combat. I am really tempted on making a Defender soon too, since I want all 5 classes at high level.

I started a Bio-Engineer today and started some co-op with my Bro who picked Commando (I told him to do that so he gets used to aiming) and we had a great launch destroying pretty much everything. This game has glimpses of true greatness hidden amid clunky aiming and frustrating camera work. I pretty much tanked stuff and juggled as much as possible so the Commando could get his combo up. Even the nasty Trolls bent over when confronted with this amazing fighting force. :lol

The game is crying out for 4 player co-op because it would truly be amazing to have 4 people playing their class really well and having a great time murdering monsters and stealing their shiny goods. :D

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
if i dont use my battle cry (lvl 50 commando), im just really making things harder for myself. i dont want to get close enough to something to use a ruiner...

The real problem with difficulty is that not every class in the game has a heal on demand like a health potion. Or heck even regenerating health between fights would certainly make things easier, because its not always that you get a health drop and sometimes you have to go into a room with 1% hp left.

Edit: Also a launcher/knock back battle cry is useful to avoid taking damage in melee while letting you pound on the enemy. But then again you usually die because of ranged attacks anyways.

Anyone who is tired of dying too much should probably start playing a defender or a bio engineer, both of them can plow through so many situations without having to die several times over.

Chrange

Banned
border said:

What would help you survive is going and killing those missile enemies first. Roll through the troll hammer splash (unless one's a freezing, then you skirt them entirely) and take out the missiles.

It really seems like most of the people who find the game super difficult just make it difficult on themselves. People who don't take off Troll's hammers, or who don't roll/jump to avoid their damage splash. Guys who ignore missile-launchers entirely, to mop up all the guys you can one-shot instead.

Learn some strategy or the high-level layouts will tear you apart.

I keep seeing people say the game is 'cheap' but it's not that the game is cheap, they just don't know how to approach the fights. I played with one guy who was bitching about how cheap it was, and he never once did an air juggle, rarely rolled, tried to go toe-to-toe with Trolls, and ignored Dark Elf spiders even though they were knocking him down constantly from range.

Raide

While Too Human has some flaws, it is not cheap. Sometimes you come up against truly terrifying monsters and you have no idea how to get past them but there is always a way. Co-op really highlights how well the classes are built to work together.

Knowing what to target first is half the battle. As soon as a Troll looses its weapon and has busted legs, it is out of action. In co-op I head towards the weakest Troll and cripple it and then head straight for ranged attackers first and kill them quick since they can really mess people up. On the way I am usually juggling enemies up so my friend can give them a kicking from range.

As a Bio-Engineer, I really don't spend much time on the floor. :lol

border

Chrange said:
What would help you survive is going and killing those missile enemies first. Roll through the troll hammer splash (unless one's a freezing, then you skirt them entirely) and take out the missiles.
Except I can't see the missile dudes because they are way in the distance.....Hellheim has some huge fights with enemies that spawn easily 75-100 yards away. Not to mention that a couple times the game spawns them in unreachable positions where they must be killed with ranged weapons.

If there's 2 (or sometimes 3) trolls piled up and they are all hammering at different intervals, you can't roll through all of their pounds.

If missiles could only strike the ground it'd be a nice change....so often you start air combos to get away from minions on the ground, only to be smacked out of the air by incoming missiles.

Chrange

Banned
border said:
Except I can't see the missile dudes because they are way in the distance.....Hellheim has some huge fights with enemies that spawn easily 75-100 yards away. Not to mention that a couple times the game spawns them in unreachable positions where they must be killed with ranged weapons.

If there's 2 (or sometimes 3) trolls piled up and they are all hammering at different intervals, you can't roll through all of their pounds.

If missiles could only strike the ground it'd be a nice change....so often you start air combos to get away from minions on the ground, only to be smacked out of the air by incoming missiles.

Really? Trolls...in Helheim?

border

No, the multiple trolls problem is limited to Ice Forest and (to a lesser extent) World Serpent. Ice Forest in particular has some very nasty troll pile-ups.

Hellheim is where the distant and unreachable missile goblins spawn.

Kewk

Banned
Chrange said:
It really seems like most of the people who find the game super difficult just make it difficult on themselves. People who don't take off Troll's hammers, or who don't roll/jump to avoid their damage splash.

F that... one fierce attack will let you mount them. Without a hammer it is much more difficult to mount the level 60+ trolls because of their turning speed.

Xenon

Lostconfused said:
The real problem with difficulty is that not every class in the game has a heal on demand like a health potion. Or heck even regenerating health between fights would certainly make things easier, because its not always that you get a health drop and sometimes you have to go into a room with 1% hp left.

Edit: Also a launcher/knock back battle cry is useful to avoid taking damage in melee while letting you pound on the enemy. But then again you usually die because of ranged attacks anyways.

Anyone who is tired of dying too much should probably start playing a defender or a bio engineer, both of them can plow through so many situations without having to die several times over.

I love trying to survive in this situation. Healing between battles would unbalance the game. Changing your battle strategy depending on your current health state is a major aspect of the game.

Using the commando I find that the reason I start getting my ass kicked is when I go against the playstyle of the class. Or maybe I forget to use the tools I have, mainly Battlecry.

I was about to give up on the hunting for red loot when I got epic glove from a leader, epic plasma rifle from the store, and a couple red runes drops. Its like the game knew I reached my limit and threw me a few bones.

So far all me red drops have come from leaders or obelisks. I have yet to get anything from a boss. And this is with a large number of GRNDL runs, at least enough to complete my kill 10,000 goblin quest.

I don’t think the frequency has bothered me as much as the fact that there are no real surprises or interesting rares. Its all just cosmetic or stat increases. I want my Dark Elf Arm sword (ok its cosmetic but it still would be cool) or a two way cannon that fires in front and behind me. How about Boots of the Defender that give the other classes a % of not being knocked down. Just give us anything to mix things up.

Finally got my champion to level 50 after 28 hours of playing.

Gonna be hosting multiplayer games from here on out when I play to continue my quest for to complete charms and find more red stuff. If you see my game listed or are a friend of NeoGAF Toohuman and see me there then feel free to join in. GT: Zombie Swords.

wayward archer said:

What could have been...

I was saying this exact same thing in this tread a couple of weeks back. The different classes have good, complimentary skills, but you can't put everything to use because of the 2-player restriction. 4 players would have been sweet, and lets hope it's in the sequel.

Wizpig

Sent my request to NeoGAF TooHuman!

Tag: Wiizpig
Please add me to the OP.

Also, what's the points of naming characters?
Offline the character is Baldur, online it's your Xbox Live tag... so what?

Cj70

Wizpig said:
Sent my request to NeoGAF TooHuman!

Tag: Wiizpig
Please add me to the OP.

Also, what's the points of naming characters?
Offline the character is Baldur, online it's your Xbox Live tag... so what?

Figured it was just like naming a saved game in pc games, lets you see at a glance which one you want to go into

Chrange

Banned
Champion is probably best for fast killing and survivability, though a Bio Engineer that's middle path, with a good two-handed weapon, can be a beast.

TomServo

According to Denis Dyack at TooHuman.net:

"Today's update fixed some connectivity issues and was done prior to release. It does not contain any balance or gameplay changes."

border

How do people dupe things in Too Human? I assume that it involves trading an item to someone, and then disconnecting or turning off your system before it saves your characters' inventory.

Or perhaps you just copy the game save to a memory card, trade away your item, then re-load the old save file back onto your HD?

Anyhow:

http://www.toohuman.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3143

Hi Everyone,

Today's update fixed some connectivity issues and was done prior to release. It does not contain any balance or gameplay changes.

Denis

Cantaloup

Just finished the game for the first time and now I'm ready for some co-op. I have a level 30 commando, but I'd also consider starting a new character.

Gamer Tag: Cantaloup

czartim said:
How do you repair armor, I'm at the Workstation but I only see a way to repair weapons.

There is an armor & weapons store, you can only repair weapons at the weapon store and armor at the armor store.

Thermite

czartim said:
Where is it? I've been wandering around everywhere.

It's directly across from the weapon shop. (
The same area where you picked which path you go down -- Human or Cybernetic
)

CzarTim

Thermite said:
It's directly across from the weapon shop. (
The same area where you picked which path you go down -- Human or Cybernetic
)

Thanks, I just found it, it's easy to overlook the thing, tiny.

Edit: I really wish I hadn't chosen the berserker, I'm constantly dying. It's very powerful once you get a combo meter going, but it's nearly impossible to get to that point.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
So not 10 minutes ago I finally hit level 50 with my first character, a Human Berserker. I do so in the middle of a HoH run (the 3rd of the day) after having completed the full game twice over. I had just teleported back to Aesir and first ran over and repaired my armor, preparing to quit for a while. I figured I might as well check the weapon shop as well, so I headed that way. I fire up the shop, scroll down to staves and...

WTFOMG the 50 Human Berserker epic staves!!!!! 1.4 million bounty later and I now have my first piece. Not sure how motivated I am to go for the full set, but that was cool nonetheless. Man they sure look bad ass.

Diseased Yak said:
So not 10 minutes ago I finally hit level 50 with my first character, a Human Berserker. I do so in the middle of a HoH run (the 3rd of the day) after having completed the full game twice over. I had just teleported back to Aesir and first ran over and repaired my armor, preparing to quit for a while. I figured I might as well check the weapon shop as well, so I headed that way. I fire up the shop, scroll down to staves and...

WTFOMG the 50 Human Berserker epic staves!!!!! 1.4 million bounty later and I now have my first piece. Not sure how motivated I am to go for the full set, but that was cool nonetheless. Man they sure look bad ass.

they are beauty's, aren't they. I just wish you could change the color of them

czartim said:
Thanks, I just found it, it's easy to overlook the thing, tiny.

Edit: I really wish I hadn't chosen the berserker, I'm constantly dying. It's very powerful once you get a combo meter going, but it's nearly impossible to get to that point.

I don't have a berserker but from what I have been told you need to equip a good amount of defensive gear and/or movement speed gear to be most effective.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
funkmastergeneral said:
they are beauty's, aren't they. I just wish you could change the color of them

Not only are they beauties, but good GOD do they kick ass! I'm a whirlwind of death now, even more so than before. It's like a constant blur of 4200-4500 damage hits.

Larsen B

Is it possible to see which runes you've inserted into a charm?

Maybe I'm being dumb and there's a second page in the charm description that I keep missing, but I'm on a second run now and am starting to think about optimising the level 2 charms I've got. It'd be helpful if I could see which runes I've put in the level 1 runes without needing to start writing them all down.

Larsen B said:
Is it possible to see which runes you've inserted into a charm?
Yeah, in the charm screen. Fulfilled runes will be one color, empty rune slots another color.

I finally got a hold of the epic staves for the berserker- like my other bits of epic gear, bought from the store. They are mighty nice.

Larsen B

Union Carbine said:
Yeah, in the charm screen. Fulfilled runes will be one color, empty rune slots another color.

Ah, I meant "can you see the effects of inserted runes after you've inserted them?"

When I look at a completed charm, I believe it only says whether you've fulfilled the quest and inserted enough runes, not what the effects of the charm now are.

DustinC

I finally got my Defender to lvl 50 over the weekend, and pretty much right after I got a red hammer drop from Hel, Fjord something or other. it's pretty badass.

I'm kinda getting frustrated with that All Wells achievement though, I swear to god I've hit every single well and it still won't pop. >_<

Now to start the grind for the elite gear. I'll definitely be looking to do some co-op for this stuff, so if anyone wants to play some games, add me: JackBurtonLives

Chrange

Banned
DustinC said:
I finally got my Defender to lvl 50 over the weekend, and pretty much right after I got a red hammer drop from Hel, Fjord something or other. it's pretty badass.

I'm kinda getting frustrated with that All Wells achievement though, I swear to god I've hit every single well and it still won't pop. >_<

Now to start the grind for the elite gear. I'll definitely be looking to do some co-op for this stuff, so if anyone wants to play some games, add me: JackBurtonLives

For me it was one in Helheim - directly opposite where one of those things pops out of the ooze to let mobs out, just before a set of doors.

There's a hidden one nearer the end though - when you go through some doors into a room. The room has stairs that lead to a central round dais with four entrances to it - walk into the dais and mobs spawn all around it. Not sure how to describe it other than that. When you walk into that room, instead of heading up the little stairway, check on your right - shoot the wall and it'll break.

DustinC

Chrange said:
For me it was one in Helheim - directly opposite where one of those things pops out of the ooze to let mobs out, just before a set of doors.

There's a hidden one nearer the end though - when you go through some doors into a room. The room has stairs that lead to a central round dais with four entrances to it - walk into the dais and mobs spawn all around it. Not sure how to describe it other than that. When you walk into that room, instead of heading up the little stairway, check on your right - shoot the wall and it'll break.

Yup, hit both of those. I ended up using a guide to see what I was missing, which gave me two more, but still nothing.

Eh, it's not a big deal really, I guess I need to keep looking around a bit.

Larsen B

PhatSaqs said:
I dont think inserted runes have any effect on the charms at all.

Oh, so a charm's only effect is the one listed in the information, and runes only give effects when inserted directly into equipment?

Thanks for the info. Would have saved me some regrets I had about inserting cannon-based runes into decent charms!

border

What is the preferred alignment for Defenders? I'm assuming it is Cybernetic, just looking at the top tier talents.

Raide

Cybernetic = Damage + Health + Cannons
Human = Combo Point Generation + Higher Combo Level + Spirit Ruiner's

Both sides work but I tend to prefer Human, just because I tend to need combo points all the time to fight effectively. I am just about to make a Defender too, so it would be good to hear any tips people have.

border

Human sounds interesting since I did Cybernetic with my Berserker and was kinda disappointed with all of the dumb mid-level talents.

C Jones

Chrange said:

I need this achievement too. What about the Wells in the World Tree? Do you have to activate those?

You know this game is pretty awesome, I find myself wanting to turn it on and fiending for its gameplay.

I just tend to get bored after a level run or two and put it away. This game severely lacks content and mass.

The gameplay is awesome though and the system is great. Cant wait for parts 2 and 3.

Also this game is short, it could almost be considered episodic.

Chrange

Banned
C Jones said:
I need this achievement too. What about the Wells in the World Tree? Do you have to activate those?

I don't think the ones in the World Tree count - though the one to ENTER the World Tree does, I believe.

There's also a hidden one in Ice Forest - when you take the first jump pad, turn to the right and bust a hole in the wall.

Doodis

DustinC said:

For a while I was convinced the achievements were glitched because I swore I had all the wells but didn't have the achievement. Last night I found my last well in Helheim. It was the third one in the level, just down on a ledge to the right along one of the walkways.

Anyhow, good luck with that. Congrats on the red hammer. I'm looking for that right now for my cyber defender as well. I've got the sword though, it seriously wails.

Top Bottom