• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Too much screen time seems to be dangerous for health, what do you do about it ?

cat-watching-tv-alamy-CC6YJ2-335sm092012.jpg

Hello dear GAF,

Since my favorite hobby and my work involve computer screen, i'm starting to realize that i spend most of the day in front of a monitor. I made some research about the eventuals health issue that could come from this situation and it's not pretty:

As Stevens says in the new article, researchers now know that increased nighttime light exposure tracks with increased rates of breast cancer, obesity and depression.

Source

For decades, studies have indicated that spending significant time parked in front of a screen — whether it's a TV, computer or tablet — lowers cardiovascular health outcomes and increases mortality risk. And the unfortunate thing about this is that exercising more doesn't seem to do much about it. If you're trying to offset your days of playing Skyrim on the couch with healthy amounts of exercise each day, it may not be enough; a 2011 study of 4500 adults showed that lots of screen time raised your likelihood of death by up to 52 percent, while being a good exerciser only lowered that by about 4 percent. So it's not just the sedentary lifestyle; it's something about screen viewing itself that causes our bodies to work less well. If you want to live longer, get fitter, have a healthier heart and be able to talk to your friends properly, it seems that logging off social media immediately and going for a long, long walk might be your best option.

Source

So, what do you do about ? Do you have special rule ? I use a software called F.lux to limit the blue light emanating from the screen, is it enough ? help :(

Explanation of the effect of blue light in our brain and why it could be problematic (thanks Greddleok!):

You're thinking about it wrong.

Blue light does affect your circadian rhythm. This is completely sound science based on numerous findings.
Alterations in circadian rhythms such as genetic manipulations, inverted light periods, "jet lag" (increased length of one period compared to another for a short amount of time) and chemical manipulations all affect physiology. Again, there are mountains of evidence that this is true.

Physiology can be affected multiple, subtle ways. Example:

Dampened circadian rhythms cause insulin resistance and diabetes, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, hepatocarcinoma, depression and weight gain. All of these are not just correlations, but also have mechanistic corroborations. However, many of the studies are done in mice. That is not to say that they're not relevant to humans, the contrary, most have been backed up in human studies, despite it being very difficult to keep people on a fixed circadian schedule, showing the robustness of these findings. However, mice don't think about their health. They live to eat, and if they're lucky, fuck.

In terms of the effects, all these changes on the hormonal, cellular and molecular level do indeed occur, they make you eat worse by increasing your appetite, increasing your desire for sugary and fatty foods, they cause increased accumulation of fat, decreased insulin resistance and increased glucose in the blood (etc, etc I don't want to name all the effects), however some of these effects can be counteracted by diet and exercise.

There's again, a mountain of evidence to show that AMPK activation, the "energy sensing protein", which becomes activated by exercise or calorie restriction can counteract many of these effects. While not necessarily tested in all the permutations of circadian disruption, AMPK is the master protein of regulating energy metabolism, so a logical extrapolation that it protects from other forms of circadian disruption.

"If you want to live longer, get fitter, have a healthier heart and be able to talk to your friends properly, it seems that logging off social media immediately and going for a long, long walk might be your best option."

I mean...

Kieli

What if I exercise, eat a healthy diet, and am generally happy. Is the blue light going to undo that?

sirap

a 2011 study of 4500 adults showed that lots of screen time raised your likelihood of death by up to 52 percent

That's fine. Humans have a 100% likelihood of death, another 52% isn't going to change anything.

It's not that you've sat in front of a screen. You can't just offset sedentary periods. It's the 'sitting' that's destructive according to other studies I've read, not the screen viewing.

So for example, if you sit for 8 hours, doing a crazy workout the next day, all day, still doesn't make up for sitting. You need to take breaks every hour and get up and move.

This damaging sitting isn't exclusive to screen jobs, but any job were you just sit and sit and not move.

TrounceX

I would like to see more studies regarding this before jumping to any conclusions.

It defies reason that simply looking at a screen, as opposed to doing something else sedentary, would have such a profound effect.

For now I'll continue to eat healthy and exercise 4-5 times a week. I also routinely hit my 10,000 step target just by walking to / from parking at work as well as random stuff throughout the day. Honestly I'm not that worried.

I would like to see more studies regarding this before jumping to any conclusions.

It defies reason that simply looking at a screen, as opposed to doing something else sedentary, would have such a profound effect.

For now I'll continue to eat healthy and exercise 4-5 times a week. I also routinely hit my 10,000 step target just by walking to / from parking at work as well as random stuff throughout the day. Honestly I'm not that worried.

I totally get your point and it's what was i was actually thinking before making those late-night research, but when i read something like that:

Yet biology at least supports some of the correlations. The circadian system synchronizes physiological function—from digestion to body temperature, cell repair and immune system activity—with a 24-hour cycle of light and dark. Even photosynthetic bacteria thought to resemble Earth's earliest life forms have circadian rhythms. Despite its ubiquity, though, scientists discovered only in the last decade what triggers circadian activity in mammals: specialized cells in the retina, the light-sensing part of the eye, rather than conveying visual detail from eye to brain, simply signal the presence or absence of light. Activity in these cells sets off a reaction that calibrates clocks in every cell and tissue in a body. Now, these cells are especially sensitive to blue wavelengths—like those in a daytime sky.

It got me concerned. Because it's seems it could be something inherently linked to the screen in itself. I would of course love to find a study that prove otherwise, since it could severely limit the practice of my favorite hobby.

Breast cancer, obesity and depression, you say?

I'm male so even with the increased odds the chances of me getting breast cancer are extremely low, I have a fast metabolism and I watch what I eat so I'm not gonna become obese any time soon, and I already have depression so I don't need to worry about that!

Crisis averted!

imo it is largely the sitting that is bad. to counter-act this i try and get plenty of exercise. i do not own a car so i walk/take public transportation everywhere. if i need to go to the grocery i walk, its 20-30 minutes one way, i get to listen to music while i do it, get some sunshine, etc.

walking is great low-stress exercise, very natural, you can pace yourself, get some alone time, etc. i like to walk for at least an hour a day.

imo it is largely the sitting that is bad. to counter-act this i try and get plenty of exercise. i do not own a car so i walk/take public transportation everywhere. if i need to go to the grocery i walk, its 20-30 minutes one way, i get to listen to music while i do it, get some sunshine, etc.

walking is great low-stress exercise, very natural, you can pace yourself, get some alone time, etc. i like to walk for at least an hour a day.

Damn, i used to work like 1 hours a day also :( I just loot the custom and now it's more like once a month :( I'll definitely try to go back to that.

DonShula

Was hoping to get more information on the 52% increase in risk of death (which is death by any means, BTW) but the article links to a book that doesn't cite a source. The closest the books gets is to assert that so much screen time lowers metabolism. So yeah, it's the time spent without moving that's the problem.

Greddleok

Blue light does affect your circadian rhythm. This is completely sound science based on numerous findings.
Alterations in circadian rhythms such as genetic manipulations, inverted light periods, "jet lag" (increased length of one period compared to another for a short amount of time) and chemical manipulations all affect physiology. Again, there are mountains of evidence that this is true.

Dampened circadian rhythms cause insulin resistance and diabetes, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, hepatocarcinoma, depression and weight gain. All of these are not just correlations, but also have mechanistic corroborations. However, many of the studies are done in mice. That is not to say that they're not relevant to humans, the contrary, most have been backed up in human studies, despite it being very difficult to keep people on a fixed circadian schedule, showing the robustness of these findings. However, mice don't think about their health. They live to eat, and if they're lucky, fuck.

In terms of the effects, all these changes on the hormonal, cellular and molecular level do indeed occur, they make you eat worse by increasing your appetite, increasing your desire for sugary and fatty foods, they cause increased accumulation of fat, decreased insulin resistance and increased glucose in the blood (etc, etc I don't want to name all the effects), however some of these effects can be counteracted by diet and exercise.

There's again, a mountain of evidence to show that AMPK activation, the "energy sensing protein", which becomes activated by exercise or calorie restriction can counteract many of these effects. While not necessarily tested in all the permutations of circadian disruption, AMPK is the master protein of regulating energy metabolism, so a logical extrapolation that it protects from other forms of circadian disruption.

Damn, i used to work like 1 hours a day also :( I just loot the custom and now it's more like once a month :( I'll definitely try to go back to that.

Absolutely. Saying this is from watching at a screen is ridiculous imo. If you sit all day and just look at a piece of paper you'll get the exact same complications just as fast.

Walking is best. Better than running. Just keep a good pace.

Standing all day isn't good either though.

Take frequent breaks if you can.

Every hour take a 5 minute break and then walk for a half-hour during lunch.

I have been using the computer a lot (programming stuff) for the past year or so (even late nights), I haven't noticed any sleep issues. I have bought some blue-lights glasses, but haven't used them.

Sight on the edge of your chair, so you legs support you, with your back straight.
Those who watch a lot of TV might have other problems like diet issues as well.

Greddleok

If you're on a computer late at night use f.lux. It gradually removes the blue light from your display over time, so that you barely even notice it.

rudger

To the people saying just work out more, read the OP!!

It explicitly says this isn't about being sedentary and working out does not help.

Thanks you very much to break that down. I would put in OP if it's ok for you.

cHaotix8

I have 3 monitors at work and 2 at home, am I at a 156% risk of death now? Or 270%? Just make sure they bury me with my computers when it's time.

_Rob_

Carry-On-Regardless.jpg

At least until I notice any side effects. Without my extended screen time I would be unable to create games, that would most certainly make me stressed and unhappy.

I walk the dog, mow the lawn, clean my pool, swim in the pool, ride bikes with my kids, fix things and sleep. When I'm not doing these things, I'm staring a screen usually lol

shockdude

Screens are great. But yeah blue light is bad.
Imo a lot of the danger is due to people not changing, or being conditioned to prefer, the default screen settings. Lower the brightness from 100 (my TV is set to 40 and my monitor to 0), set color temperature to 6500K, and bam dramatic reduction in blue light.

Steel

Banned
Not that I've ever been overweight, but VR has really helpped bring some exercise into my routine. Audioshield and Superhot in particular are decent workouts and tons of fun.

rudger

Screens are great. But yeah blue light is bad.
Imo a lot of the danger is due to people not changing, or being conditioned to prefer, the default screen settings. Lower the brightness from 100 (my TV is set to 40 and my monitor to 0), set color temperature to 6500K, and bam dramatic reduction in blue light.

This is actually what I was curious about. Can some of these ill effects be avoided with different monitor settings or would you need all new monitor technology?

Kthulhu

The problem isn't that you're looking at a screen. It's that you're sitting on your ass.

Just take time to consume less calories and/or burn more calories.

Txαi

It's not just a screen. Anything you do on a close range requires more effort from your vision (such as reading books, etc). You have to take at least a 10 minutes break by looking at distant objects on the horizon in order for your eyes to rest. The more distant, the better.

arigato

In terms of habits which ruin ones health, this should be the least of anybody's worries especially when circumventing the negative side effects is as simple as installing f.lux and wearing glasses.

Top Bottom