• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total number of players for Hi-Fi Rush has exceeded 3 million

Belthazar

It's still surprisingly low, considering it was a first party title that was VERY well received critically and also had very good WoM. With it being part of gamepass, which had upwards of 25 million subscribers last time it was reported, it's quite frankly shocking that less than 1/7 of gamepass subscribers bothered to even test the game to see if they liked it or not.

And it becomes even weirder when you consider that, even with the rhythmic gimmick, it still is a third-person action-adventure game through and through... a genre with very broad mass-appeal.

supernova8

Banned
It's still surprisingly low, considering it was a first party title that was VERY well received critically and also had very good WoM. With it being part of gamepass, which had upwards of 25 million subscribers last time it was reported, it's quite frankly shocking that less than 1/7 of gamepass subscribers bothered to even test the game to see if they liked it or not.

And it becomes even weirder when you consider that, even with the rhythmic gimmick, it still is a third-person action-adventure game through and through... a genre with very broad mass-appeal.
Could be way lower than "less than 1/7 of gamepass subscribers" depending on how many of those "players" are folks who bought the game on Steam.

I was going to say they might only be counting people as "players" if they played the game for more than an hour or something, but then again this PR so they are probably going to pick the number that paints them in the best light.

Tsaki

Could be way lower than "less than 1/7 of gamepass subscribers" depending on how many of those "players" are folks who bought the game on Steam.

I was going to say they might only be counting people as "players" if they played the game for more than an hour or something, but then again this PR so they are probably going to pick the number that paints them in the best light.
If they went to the title screen, they are counted.

Hi-Fi is a amazing game and I enjoyed it thoroughly but as far as the low numbers, it is a 2-fold issue. First, MS just shadow dropped it out of nowhere it seems and with little to no marketing. Second issue plays off the first, but I think Game Pass did not help. When you don't market a game and then simply drop it onto a service with 100s of games, the average GP user probably looks at it as another low to average game and ignores it. A lot of the time with these sub services is that the average player looks at all the content, gets overwhelmed, then goes back to playing the few games they are familiar with...

Last edited:

Adam_802

lol

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Great stuff. Might get further knocked down my list by another big boy but it's currently #3 behind BG3 and Zelda. Absolute gem of a game.

Spitfire098

People have different tastes

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
What a shame. Only 3 million? Game deserved way more than that especially considering how much it dominated steam sale charts in January.

Now that they know what they have on their hands, maybe next time they'll advertise it instead of shadow dropping so this IP can get the success it truly deserves

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Best MS exclusive that I've played in a while. Great news.

... But man, I'm so curious about sales after GP became a thing.

For MS, was it a success? Financially? Can we expect more games like this to be greenlit?
To put this genre into perspective, Bayonetta has basically never sold over 1.5 million. DMCV sold 6 million on multiple systems, and is a much more well known IP. I think they're probably happy about it based on everything they've said. I think they'll let Tango do anything they want as long as they stay working there.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
They should change 3 million players to 3 million downloads, it’d be much more honest but of course the word players sounds much better.

I played it for about an hour before I opted out, it’s a very nice game but it isn’t for me 🙂. I’m still counted as a “player” though which is not really representative.
So you played it, so players is still correct.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

We found the Square Enix execs GAF account.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Low numbers but I'm sure the completion rate is really high because certain types said it was great.
In what universe is 3 million low for effectively a B title that had literally zero marketing and was shadow dropped?

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Folks don't have that much time. Personally I still haven't gotten to the game beyond trying out a bit, liking it but realizing I still suck at rhythm games. 😅

There is always too much other things to play.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Easily one of the best games in recent years, with a super strong SEGA/arcade vibe to it. Everybody should play it.

Still waiting for a collector edition with an awesome steelbook, what are you waiting for Phil Spencer ???

Would buy one in a heartbeat.

Schmick

Not everyone will play every game on Gamepass. This just highlights the importance of having a diverse library of games to attract as many gamers as possible to Gamepass and by extension Playstation Extra.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
What about the total number of buyers?

Might as well just say 3 million people messed with the options menu.
Genuinely, you guys are going to have to get over this some day. Maybe in a few years, hopefully.

Every sub service does this now. How much did The Last of Us show sell outside of HBO subs? Makes no sense to even focus on that.

mxbison

Nice. One of the best games of this year so far.

edit: Seems that's not much? Shame then.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Banned
They should change 3 million players to 3 million downloads, it’d be much more honest but of course the word players sounds much better.

I played it for about an hour before I opted out, it’s a very nice game but it isn’t for me 🙂. I’m still counted as a “player” though which is not really representative.

Yep. You don't even need to "play" it. Just start the game from the Xbox menu and you are considered a "player". It's all a joke.

LordOfChaos

I like the game and I don't usually like rhythm games, it mostly doesn't matter as a bash em up, but I wish there was an option to just skip the forced button timing sequences on some locks etc

NeverYouMind

Gold Member
Awesome game. I played a level of it on Gamepass. I would have already bought it at full price, but I am in the process of building my GOG library and it hasn't released there. Hopefully, the developer provides a statement on the matter in the next year.

Top Bottom