• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trüberbrook | OT | Sci-Fi Mystery Adventure With Hand Crafted Graphics

ShRqVqj.jpg

Developer - btf
Publisher - Headup/Whisper Games
Release Date - March 12th 2019 (PC) April 17th 2019 (Console)

Platforms - Windows Mac Linux XB1 PS4 Switch

What Is Trüberbrook?
Trüberbrook is a mystery, science fiction, graphic adventure game set in 1960's Germany. You play as an American scientist who wins a trip to the titular village. He gradually thereafter finds himself embroiled in a mystery that may force him to save the world. A stand out feature of Trüberbrook are the hand crafted environment graphics. Using a technique called photogrammetry the developer, btf, was able to import real world miniature sets into the game's engine. Giving the game a distinct and very impressive visual style. Going so far as to use actual tiny snow flakes and real lighting for weather effects.

gif_1.jpg

gif_4.jpg

gif_5.jpg

xVJpGLS.jpg

Hans Tannhauser is an American physicist in his late twenties. Out of nowhere he wins a trip to the small, remote, German vilage of Trüberbrook. Trüberbrook is an old spa resort that's still quite beautiful, despite being past its prime. Hans can't even remember entering the lottery but he's more than happy to get away for a while. Hoping to put some distance between himself and his stressful Ph.D work, in quantum physics. Upon arrival weird things happen immediately. Sudden weather changes and other strange occurrences that can't be explained. The mystery is intensified further when a strange man breaks into Hans' hotel room to steal his physics paper. Who would be interested in something like that?

Tannhauser continues his vacation, meeting the increasingly odd villagers and spa guests. During this time mysterious and inexplicable things continue to happen. He eventually meets up with young anthropologist, Greta Lemke, who came to Trüberbrook on a research trip. The two of them team up to uncover the mysteries of the strange town and possibly even save the world.

Sv71fdJ.jpg

tb_tannhauser.png

Hans Tannhauser
An American physics student in his 20's. Tannhauser is well-read, curious and kind.

tb_gretchen.png

Greta Lemke
A student of paleoanthropology on a research trip. Greta is fiercely determined and somewhat overenthusiastic.

tb_taft.png

Lazarus Taft
A reclusive inventor who is the talk of the town. He owns an expensive old mansion in
Trüberbrook.

tb_ensemble.png

The Townsfolk Of Trüberbrook
All the various villagers and spa-goers you'll be meetings along the way. Each one stranger than the last.

KGeptlW.jpg

Trüberbrook is a story-driven graphic adventure game. The gameplay consists of character interaction, exploration and many puzzles that must be solved in order to progress the narrative. The puzzles are meant to be integrated into the story and range from inventory puzzles, dialogue puzzles (such as having to persuade a character) to passing unnerving psychological tests. The game features two controls schemes: classic point & click or direct controls for console/PC gamepad players. The point & click scheme uses a familiar verb coin interface, similar to well known titles like Full Throttle or Curse Of Monkey Island. Whereas the other controls employ direct character movement and an analog pointer better suited to the gamepad.

gameplay_1.jpg

gameplay_5.jpg

AnUHQYe.jpg

Last edited:

Tarkus98

I really like the style of this game. Kinda like the claymation stuff. It always reminded me of something that Ray Harryhausen would have done had he made video games.
I do wonder how many actual locations or set pieces there are to traverse through. From all the trailers and stills I’ve seen there seems to be only 5 or 6 main areas. Will be interesting to see how they integrated these with the Photogrammetry and how well everything blends together.
The story sounds good too!

I really like the style of this game. Kinda like the claymation stuff. It always reminded me of something that Ray Harryhausen would have done had he made video games.
I do wonder how many actual locations or set pieces there are to traverse through. From all the trailers and stills I’ve seen there seems to be only 5 or 6 main areas. Will be interesting to see how they integrated these with the Photogrammetry and how well everything blends together.

btf has played it really close to the vest as far as revealing too many environments, or specific narrative details. Considering the game is estimated at 10 hours long, I'd assume there's many more environments we haven't seen in the pre release material. I'm thinking they're using the aesthetic as the selling point and trying to keep the plot as much a surprise as possible. It is a mystery after all.

Good point about the integration. So far the only non character model CG element I've seen is that huge cylindrical door from the trailer. I thought that blended rather convincingly but we'll find out tomorrow how well they've handled the rest.

Super hyped for this release :D .

From the reviews I read game apparently only is 4 to 5 hours long. They said (up to) 10 in their Kickstarter, guess they had to cut some stuff. Or overestimated.

From the reviews I read game apparently only is 4 to 5 hours long. They said (up to) 10 in their Kickstarter, guess they had to cut some stuff. Or overestimated.

Yeah the game length for me came to 6 hours and 25 minutes. That was me taking my time, too. I'd say the estimated 9~10 hour game length they had on their website and various social media is way off.

For anyone who's curious I posted my full impressions in the 2019 Adventure Games Thread. I don't want to reiterate everything but suffice it to say I felt the game was okay but fumbles in some key areas that are really disappointing. It is gorgeous and fun to explore the environments but I'd wait for a discount if you want to appreciate it for that.

RPGCrazied

Looks nice. I don't play these type of games anymore but I miss them. I'm sure I've missed out on some good ones. LucasArts and Sierra made the best games in this genre for sure.

Last edited:
Looks nice. I don't play these type of games anymore but I miss them. I'm sure I've missed out on some good ones. LucasArts and Sierra made the best games in this genre for sure.

If you miss playing adventure games and want to get back into them, the adventure game thread I mentioned above is a good place to look. It's got a big list of upcoming games and people make recommendations in the thread all the time.

Top Bottom