• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tragic moments in video games

geary

Video games can create one of the most dramatic art forms. Those that get their hands on an well crafted game are generally in store for plenty of fun, and sometimes a emotional roller-coaster. Which are the games which exceled at generating raw emotions on a characters death, the game premise or the particular scene or ending sequence?

For me, in no particular order (i'll put it in spoiler):
1. RDR2 Arthur's death
2. CP2077 Songbird faith
3. CP2077 V's fate (Phantom Liberty ending)
4. Spec Ops: The Line (walking around the scene after the white phosphorus scene)
5. Hellblade (Senua's faith with mental illness)

Lions Gate

Video games can create one of the most dramatic art forms. Those that get their hands on an well crafted game are generally in store for plenty of fun, and sometimes a emotional roller-coaster. Which are the games which exceled at generating raw emotions on a characters death, the game premise or the particular scene or ending sequence?

For me, in no particular order (i'll put it in spoiler):
1. RDR2 Arthur's death
2. CP2077 Songbird faith
3. CP2077 V's fate (Phantom Liberty ending)
4. Spec Ops: The Line (walking around the scene after the white phosphorus scene)
5. Hellblade (Senua's faith with mental illness)
mF0QENJ.gif

Last edited:

yamaci17

yes songbird hit me real good too. got too emotionally invested into her story. couldnt even be mad that she betrayed me. i couldn't. the damn game tricked me into that situation. but damn I just let it go

rdr 2 arthur sure. got me teary eyed that one. but not his actual death. that was pretty much where it was going. the most tragic part for me was his talk with the nun and him saying he's afraid. him realizing how horrible of a live he lead and the mistakes he did. such a tragic moment of realization and all of his life catching up to him, making him "afraid"

death stranding, the moment where you realize you've fought/went up against your father's spirit the whole time. and thankfully saved another from a similar fate. how great that is?

portal 2 where glados letting chell go and deleting "caroline". the whole thing is so tragic because chell is pretty much the only human alive in the facility so surviving that was a great culmination to a tragic story

last of us part 2 where ellie gets PTSD flashbacks while holding JJ. pretty much the end result of the whole tragic story she went through.

gta 4's ending where Roman dies. you fought so much to fix stuff and just when things seem to be fixed and going well, the most tragic event hits you. I was devastated.

will of the wisps ending where shriek retreats back to its family's remains and dies. hit like a truck

this shit is so tragic that whenever I revisit the scene I get emotional and teary eyed. ;(

Last edited:
I'll put my answers in spoilers as well just in case.

Persona 4/Golden - Nanako's "death"
Holy shit this hit me hard when I was playing it. I never originally got the bad ending and had to purposefully try to get it but seeing her in the hospital the first time and thinking that my precious "little sister" who never did anything wrong might die was tough.

Metal Gear Solid 3 - Killing The Boss
MGS is one of my favorite franchises and MGS3 is my favorite game in the series by far. When that moment came up I just sort of froze thinking maybe I don't have to and it took me a minute to actual press the button. Even worse is Snake's salute in the ending. *manly tears*

RDR/RDR2 - John/Arthur's deaths
I think Arthur's death is more emotional considering everything, but years before that John's death was pretty heavy. You spent the game trying to make everything right and trying to give your family a real life only to be gunned down. I think that Arthur's death is more impactful (even if I prefer John and RDR1 as a whole) because of how in depth and detailed the story of RDR2 is.

GTA IV - Roman's death.
My fucking brother in both blood and love for big American titties. I honestly didn't see it coming at the time and his death is way more impactful then Kate's as Kate wasn't really that well thought out and while I liked her character it doesn't hit as hard as your brother dying.

Steins;gate - Mayor's death over and over and over again.
Holy shit man. The first time this happens I was sad, angry, and confused, but seeing it over and over again you sort of start to feel Okabe's pure desperation and dread.

The House in Fata Morgana - The entire fucking game start to finish.
That entire game is just depressing and tragic start to finish.

Guilty_AI

I bit of a niche one (and heavily biased since i'm replaying the series atm), but the Pardoners Fennel fight in Momodora RUtM.

Basically both you and the boss are in the same side, fighting for the same goal, but due to Fennel's radical way of thinking she mistakes protag as being an enemy and they both fight to death.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
Why is this tragic?
It's not. It's just a meme at this point. This scene shouldn't be in this game. It adds nothing to the story or the characters. These characters had been friends for years at this point, they could have better accomplished their goals here with a tender moment instead of this.

Add in the fact that some people hate Abby for the what she did and the way she looks, and you've got a low hanging joke.

TLoU2 is a very good game with some weird decisions sprinkled throughout.

Last edited:
The end of What Became of Edith Finch was quite sad.

Also Monkey Island 2, where Guybrush pulls his brother's leg off.

And that Brothers: Two Sons Game - spoiler:

You use a thumb stick to control each bro throughout the game and one dies - not only is that sad, but you have a real sense of mourning and loss that is hard to escape from, as suddenly one hand has nothing to do

Last edited:

StueyDuck

not what i thought, tragedy in video games, thread was gonna be.

I was expecting the 100+hr FFX corrupted save on your PS2 memory card or your mom unplugging your Snes while you were mid game and didn't get to save.

now those are tragedies, that shit can scar you for life.

Leona Heidern's backstory (King of Fighters)

From the wiki:

Gaidel refused (to join Goenitz, Orochi's main guy) as he and his family liked peace and not the violent tendencies created by the Orochi blood.
Enraged, Goenitz leaves; the same night, Leona underwent the Riot of Blood and slaughtered everyone in the village.

Goenitz, pleased by the results, puts her blood lust to rest for another time "when he needs her again"

images

Dazed and shocked, she loses her memories and wanders aimlessly until she is found and later adopted by Heidern. Surprised by her natural fighting ability, he decides to raise her as an Ikari warrior under his command.

Thanks to Ralf and Clark, it has a somewhat happy ending, even though she still has her major demons, she has a family.

images

when i beat mario 64 and there wasnt any more.

when hl2 missed its original release date, valve was radio silent, so hackers released an unfinished build... and it was very unimpressive (overall decent game, but bad hl1 sequel, IMO).

seeing real ps3 games after the e3 reveal.

playing my n64 after seeing the dreamcast for the first time.

my friend laughing at me, explaining that the gamecube zelda would be cell shaded (when i was pumped for a spaceworld 2000-style zelda).

when i bought this 3rd party n64 controller as a kid, thinking it was the coolest thing ever, only to realize it felt like ass in games.
s-l1600.jpg

Hudo

Realizing that there are only campaigns in Age of Empires II depicting the Fall of Rome from the perspective of Attila the Asshole and Alaric the Anal-Sniffer and not from the perspective of Rome. Fuck the barbarians.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

At that moment it was the beginning of the worst generation and the worst time of my life due to personal and university reasons, which lasted 10 to 12 years.

Cattlyst

Both of the last of us games have some pretty incredible moments. I know it’s cool here to say those games are crap or dull or woke or whatever but they really are two of the best games I’ve ever played in terms of storyline.

Mobilemofo

The Death that was TitanFall2. Launched between two Fatties, it never stood a chance. Yet it was better than both.

A tragic moment of intense stupidity.

Last edited:
Top Bottom