• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transgender Threads: A Primer

Status
Not open for further replies.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
You're thinking about it backwards. The brain already has the image from very early on (see trans children) instead of having it built up by living in a certain body for a long time. It's been mentioned that trans women have brains more similar to cis women than men, even though they were born with a male body. This suggests the brain has the correct body image from the start but the body that develops doesn't always match what is in the brain.
Are there references for this, because this is pretty hard to believe and would be irrefutable proof that this is a physical rather than mental disorder.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Here is one of a few different articles on the subject.

Thats a far cry from trans gender individuals having a brain closer to there perceived sex though, this is looking at a single variable whereas there are distinct differences between male and female brains that are readily apparent.

thatbox

Banned
Thats a far cry from trans gender individuals having a brain closer to there perceived sex though, this is looking at a single variable whereas there are distinct differences between male and female brains that are readily apparent.
The links in the OP might have been easy to miss because they were disguised as regular words. Sorry about that.
This isn't a position paper attempting to lay out every single study ever done - not that there are many, and this is, as it says, simply a primer for participation in threads on GAF - but those links cover a couple and themselves contain links to more information. They represent a decent spectrum of approachability, from a student's summary of various sources for a neuroscience class to a PDF of a study published in the Journal of Psychiatric research, so you can start where you're comfortable. If you want to read further you can follow citations from there or do your own poking around on the internet. Either way, it will cease to be a "mental disorder" when the DSM-V is published next year (you may have missed the section on that as well), when the only remaining diagnosis will be gender dysphoria. Whether it's "hard to believe" or not, you've been presented with a starting place from which to look at the existing research. I encourage you to be willing to consider the standing science, such as it is, over any unfounded assumptions you may have made previously in the absence of any solid information. Happy reading.

Platy

There are similarities between transgender woman brains and regular women brains, but I didn't know they were considered the exact same thing, is this true? I'm pretty sure there are still differences but correct my if I'm wrong.

Besides the thousands of links posted already ... there is this VERY interesting part of a lecture about gender and human sexual behavior showing co-relation to brains of transgender woman and male patients that had to take anti-testosterone and estrogen for other medical reasons

Platy, that is a fantastic link and I am yoinking the fucking out of it for future irritating conversations, and also because that guy has a wicked beard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom