• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trends you like in modern game design?

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Mouse acceleration isn't really a thing anymore, is it? Very cool.
I like that all the console exclusives are coming to PC now. I prefer almost every game with keyboard and mouse, and when I'm forced to use a gamepad my input feels less direct to me, more like I'm controlling the game by some sort of proxy. Releasing on Steam is very good game design.

Alan Wake II is coming, and I really like that. They should keep making Alan Wake II. That's a very good trend. That's great design.

Jennings

• Crossgen. More options means more players, means more success, means more games.
  • Predictable discount schedules and holiday sales. There are typically significant discounts on titles mere weeks or months after release. It makes being a patient gamer quite rewarding nowadays.
  • 60fps performance mode. Performance is the number one feature that makes good looking games feel next gen.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Carefully crafted open world map design - Elden Ring.

Lack of hand-holding - Elden Ring again.

Performance modes on console, 30fps needs to die.

Side-scrolling, 2.5D, without being small indie games - Metroid Dread and Ori.

PC versions for both Sony and Microsoft games, Nintendo is needed too.

Not sure if it’s a trend yet but some demos has returned, I want more of that so devs can hear the feedback and go in and fix things before the release instead of releasing beta versions day 1 which has to be fixed for half a year with patches.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Re-releases of old games... I didn't play many of the games I wanted to play before due to several circumstances and these days I just wait for a game to come to PC or switch and rarely it doesn't... Zelda SSHD and Mario Galaxy are two games I've always wanted on Switch, the former to replay it without messing around emulation, the later because I never played it in Wii... One specific game I couldn't finish when I was young was Paper Mario 64 due to constant crashes and loss of progress on emulator (pirated a lot as teenager, had no money), right now if I wanted to play it, I'd just open it in the N64 app on the Switch... I don't care about "improvements" beyond quality of life or controls (like in REmake) or at least resolution... It if they were 30 fps give me 60, give them all to me!

Topher

Gold Member
Carefully crafted open world map design - Elden Ring.

Lack of hand-holding - Elden Ring again.

Performance modes on console, 30fps needs to die.

Side-scrolling, 2.5D, without being small indie games - Metroid Dread and Ori.

PC versions for both Sony and Microsoft games, Nintendo is needed too.

Not sure if it’s a trend yet but some demos has returned, I want more of that so devs can hear the feedback and go in and fix things before the release instead of releasing beta versions day 1 which has to be fixed for half a year with patches.

Snoop Dogg Yes GIF

bender

What time is it?
That someone like Lucas Pope can have widespread success with gaming concepts that sound like the opposite of fun but are super engaging.

Last edited:

EekTheKat

40hz. Refresh/framerate target. Brilliant compromise that takes advantage of 120hz displays on consoles without sacrificing too much eye candy, while a 40fps cap synced with a 40hz refresh on the steam deck is a wonderful way to extend battery life.

tvdaXD

Crosspaly comes to mind, and more "exclusives" coming to PC.
Also, raytracing is pretty to look at! Finally some graphical innovation, can't wait to see what people can create once developers get to really learn the new Unreal Engine.

AndrewRyan

Re-mappable controls
Dashing
Fast traversal
Not getting stuck on various things
Auto ladder climbing
Auto loot grabbing
Configurable font size
VR point-grab-flick
Diagram of controls on pause screen
Option to exit-to-desktop on pause screen
Practice mode on loading screens
Bonus for staying in practice mode if you want

Not really game design but positive gaming trends:
Variable Refresh Rate
Linux for gaming

GeekyDad

The only "modern" trends I really started to dig are now old. Games like Animal Crossing and Flower. And it wasn't so much just the games themselves, which unfortunately -- as should have been expected -- were just mimicked, but the idea of exploring different ways of utilizing the tech to experience something entertaining, relaxing, enjoyable. Triggering that inner child.

Lack of hand holding in survival games like Grounded and Sea of Thieves.

Big fan of games like TES 3: Morrowind, so finding locations in huge maps with few hints in your journals is very appealing to me. Feels like a true adventure.

Best thing is you can play with your friends so it never gets lonely or over bearing.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Some of the accessibility stuff in Ragnarok was fantastic. The game is objectively better without having to press O every single time you want to pick up a bunch of junk or make a jump you couldn't fail in the first place.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Can't think of any. Some new games have done cool things but sadly I can't consider those trends.

Guilty_AI

Automatic patches.

Yeah, i know. "But the old days were better because games had to be finished by release!". They definitely HAD to, doesn't mean they were. Whenever people reminisce about the "old days" they never mention the amount of broken games that we had. Games that stayed broken unless you went out of your way to download some patch off their website, assuming said patch existed or you weren't playing on console.

sigmaZ

-Mostly quality of life stuff like the percent of stuff that I have obtained or completed.
-Better standards of how controls should be. A lot of people forget how non-standard controls used to be.

Backwards compatibility, remakes and cloud save files. It's crazy to think how I have all of these precious save files spread across all sorts of dusty old cartridges and memory cards that I'll most likely never access again.

I feel that remakes signify games maturing. The industry wants to preserve the classics. I think it's great.

Rhazkul

Uff, where to begin?

I like that 50% of the content is locked behind battle pass levels, so i have always a reason to come back to the game and grind my life away...i got nothing else to do anyway.
If i am feeling lazy, i just buy the missing content for a price similar to a new game...why buy a new game anyway if i just play this one single game?
I also like the trend that devs care about representation. because i absolutely NEED my sexuality and racial ethnicity represented, or else i will not play the game.
And when i feel like my identity is being ignored or oppressed, i love the trend that i can hop on twitter, make a big fuss and basically force gaming studios to give into my demands due to mob mentality. THAT'S POWER TO THE PEOPLE, COMRADE!
I also like the trend that gaming studios/publishers care about my feelings and censor evil words and hate speech in online games and i like that they ruthlessly ban everyone who dares to banter with me. This is a serious online game, joking around has no place in the digital cyberspace because sarcasm or irony doesn't work in text. My feelings come first. ALWAYS! I am entitled to a safe space because i paid good money for the game.

Last edited:

Wildebeest

Hentai games
Turn based games sometimes getting the respect they deserve
Younger generations making and enjoying new games in retro styles
Imaginative puzzle games
Games that use current hardware power to create artistically interesting 3d environments rather than just highly detailed or realistic environments

levyjl1988

Banned
Character customization options like the ability to create a character, see and compare sliders, and save and load previously created creations.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Oppose thread of this one

What trends in modern games do you like and hope they stick around?
Portability of DLCs especially in Steam or (this will get heat) Nintendo Online or PS+. I'd give Gamepass a shot too but 20-years ago...what DLCs were there and would we have had the library of devs and indies we do today? Not sure if DLC is a trend but prior to the 8th-gen, I was physical mostly. Now, I've actually been more reliant on digital.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Notice how most comments so far have been about technical stuff like patches, performance modes, faster loading... technical stuff. Guess that speak volumes of how stagnant the current industry has come when it comes to the actual design of the videogames.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
- First party console games on PC
- Cloud saves
- Cross Buy
- Cross save
- Save anywhere
- Quick Resume
- DLSS/FSR

Trogdor1123

Lots of good stuff right now. I like How games seem to finally have dlc figured out but are now screwing up with a battle pass in everything.

The near elimination of load times too is so nice. That is my favourite design change I think. It can’t be easy to change that much

tommib

Unlocked frame rates. I don’t even have a VRR tv or 120hz but keep those frames unlocked. I’m one of the weirdos that doesn’t mind quality modes hovering around 30, 40 and 50 fps. I hate locked 30 fps. Elden Ring PS5 Quality unlocked and all the unlocked modes in Ghostwire is where it’s at. Also it makes the game future proof. Keep unlocking those modes, devs.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Remasters, reimagings of certain games is a good one. yes I am aware it is also sometimes a blatant cash grab if done badly.

but done correctly it can reintroduce a great game to a new audience, iron out any issues from the older game.
OoT for example on the 3DS was somehow exactly how people remember the game but ran better and looked crisper.

I like QoL updates not just bug patches but things like adding new features, adding in performance or graphics modes or offering new content for free.

Quake, Doom 1 & 2, Dead cells are good examples of this. free add-ons etc

yes I am aware quake on the switch had issues at launch. but they worked to fix them.

I really like how on the switch you could play a game while travelling, then take it home and resume on the TV
also sleep mode is another good one.
digital downloads. manly as they do not take up physical space and you have a larger selection of games to take with you. (those that are playable offline etc)

yeah graphic pushing technology is amazing and all that but it feels as if games that may have failed a few gens ago are getting tweats to work with modern power.

the other amazing thing I am enjoying are the impossible ports of games to the switch

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Notice how most comments so far have been about technical stuff like patches, performance modes, faster loading... technical stuff. Guess that speak volumes of how stagnant the current industry has come when it comes to the actual design of the videogames.
Problem is, having a game design trend is rarely ever a good thing, even if its technically good design. It just makes things stale.

Same way many people dislike modern bloated open world design trends, there were plenty who disliked platformer with mascot characters trends back in the 90s/early 2000s.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Problem is, having a game design trend is rarely ever a good thing, even if its technically good design. It just makes things stale.

Same way many people dislike modern bloated open world design trends, there were plenty who disliked platformer with mascot characters trends back in the 90s/early 2000s.

With that said. This thread could've many different answers in 2026. It is what it is atm.

Last edited:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Unlocked frame rates. I don’t even have a VRR tv or 120hz but keep those frames unlocked. I’m one of the weirdos that doesn’t mind quality modes hovering around 30, 40 and 50 fps. I hate locked 30 fps. Elden Ring PS5 Quality unlocked and all the unlocked modes in Ghostwire is where it’s at. Also it makes the game future proof. Keep unlocking those modes, devs.

Even ER on SS unlocked which is... 40? 50? If all. Feels miles better than locked 30.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I love the push to add multiple accessibility options in games.

Just add things to make games accessible to others, it doesn't harm anyone elses experience, devs.

oji-san

Banned
More of a consoles related but 60fps on both PS5 and XSX the last 2 years were awesome, sadly it's seems to coming to an end or will be greatly reduced.

Again for consoles... then biggest thing to me is SSD, it's truly a game changer.

TheAssist

Most of the things already mentioned here.

But I think one thing that annoyed me more than any other was infrequent check pointing with long loading times and unskippable cut scenenes. Looking at you Final Fantasy...

When they introduced respawning right in front of the the fight you were dying to (back in FF 13), it was a godsent. Back than, people were actually complaining about it, saying it would make the game too easy. What the fuck its so hard about a corpse/boss run? All it does is wasting my time. There are several games that I stopped playing because of that bs

Top Bottom