• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trends you like in modern game design?

I love the push to add multiple accessibility options in games.

Just add things to make games accessible to others, it doesn't harm anyone elses experience, devs.

Yeah, this is a huge positive for me as well. When Callisto Protocol dropped I was bummed by the middling reviews, most of them citing the dodge mechanic and difficulty.

Being hungry for a RE/DS experience, I went ahead and bought it at launch anyways. Lo and behold in the options menu were such things as auto-dodge, aim assist, etc. I don't recall any of the negative reviews even mentioning these things.

R6Rider

Gold Member
More graphical, accessibility, and control options.

Being able to turn off motion blur, film grain etc. is a lot more common now. Along with this you have more options for accessibility. Be it visual, audio, or control features.

Performance mode in more console games is awesome along with more games offering FoV sliders.

Last edited:

wvnative

Uff, where to begin?

I like that 50% of the content is locked behind battle pass levels, so i have always a reason to come back to the game and grind my life away...i got nothing else to do anyway.
If i am feeling lazy, i just buy the missing content for a price similar to a new game...why buy a new game anyway if i just play this one single game?
I also like the trend that devs care about representation. because i absolutely NEED my sexuality and racial ethnicity represented, or else i will not play the game.
And when i feel like my identity is being ignored or oppressed, i love the trend that i can hop on twitter, make a big fuss and basically force gaming studios to give into my demands due to mob mentality. THAT'S POWER TO THE PEOPLE, COMRADE!
I also like the trend that gaming studios/publishers care about my feelings and censor evil words and hate speech in online games and i like that they ruthlessly ban everyone who dares to banter with me. This is a serious online game, joking around has no place in the digital cyberspace because sarcasm or irony doesn't work in text. My feelings come first. ALWAYS! I am entitled to a safe space because i paid good money for the game.

Why the hell do people have to come in to threads intended to be positive and shit it up? Your complaints are legit, but this thread is for positivity.

SSfox

I just like great games, this trend thing don't make any sens. A trend can be good a genre just like it can be not that good for another genre. So yeah it's not just black or white.

The resurgence of top down CRPGs and space sims, genres that were flat out dead for a long time.
The general increase in quality and quality for indie games (sadly at the trade off of innovation and amount of AA games)

I do have a love hate relationship with the homogenization of AAA gaming. The general structure of them have become very similar, and even the controls. However that means I can jump into any game quite easily and get to the meat of it quick without spending hours fighting and mastering even just the basics of how the game works.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Inverted camera isn’t the standard anymore, and almost all 3D games have an option for camera controls.
I recently played a X360 game that had inverted camera only. My brain would have struggled less if the text was written in hieroglyphs.

dcx4610

Only thing that really jumps out at me is not having to worry about saving your game. Very generous save points. A game like the Last of Us was absolutely perfect. It basically saved every few minutes or after every key battle and you didn't have to worry about it.

As an adult, I loathe having to play through a section I just played through to get back to where I died. What exactly is the point? On old 8-bit games it made sense because you could beat a game in an hour. For a game that is 10+ hours, you are just wasting my time.

cireza

I like the effort around BC from Xbox, this was pretty cool. But I understand that it is over, and that's too bad.

Games being released on every platform is a positive.

Otherwise, there is nothing outstanding. We had 60fps in the past. We had consoles without loading times in the past.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Most of this isnt even about game design per say cuz not much has changed and I dont think anything really major has been introduced that I could say is "modern game design" specific since X360.
In case you dont feel old, the X360 is soon if not already gonna be considered a retro console. (it came with component cables)

PC ports everywhere. - First generation since I could afford consoles, i didnt day one or week one a console or two or three.
Crossplay - I still wish Battlefield 1 and V had crossplay, Id probably still be playing them.
Gamepass/PS+ - Reminds me of Gamefly/Blockbuster days, sometimes I want to play a game, but dont want to own it or worry about having to sell it.
Legit Good Mobile games - I dont play them too often(he does), but some of these mobile games are actually good and id happily play them on PC(he does).
Free map packs/updates - I dont get FOMO from battlepasses, but Map packs always used to fragment the community now we all together FOREVER!

I love games having Trophies/Achievements. It's nice when you complete games and can look back at your history and see what you've done. Like I'm really proud of my trophies for beating the bosses in the Souls series for example.

Standardized controls, particularly on console.

Back in the day, the jump button might be Cross/A in one game, Triangle/Y in another, and Circle/B in a third. In some games the "shoot" button would be A and in others it'd be a trigger, etc.. etc..

Nowadays pretty much any game you play will have a familiar control scheme. Seems simple and obvious now, but that wasn't always the case. It's nice.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Remakes
Tom Cruise Laughing GIF by JustViral

i like how there's not much visual difference between med/high/very high settings these days.

the graphics whore in me wants there to be massive differences...
but the frugal boy in me who refuses to pay these stupid GPU prices is happy.

fart town usa

Gold Member
You joke.
But here I am praying for a Skies of Arcadia Remake.

P.S
Loved RE2R, RE3R, FFVIIR, Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1+2 and I am really looking forward to RE4R, FFVIIRe and Silent Hill 2R.
Joke indeed but remakes generally don't bother me. Just didn't see anyone else post it so figured I should, ha.

i like how there's not much visual difference between med/high/very high settings these days.

the graphics whore in me wants there to be massive differences...
but the frugal boy in me who refuses to pay these stupid GPU prices is happy.
Yeah I remember the days when low settings meant you had no lighting/shadows at all! Or zero foliage. Or massive cuts in texture or geometry. Or "ports" to weaker machines were different games entirely. I'm glad those days are over. Some switch ports amaze in how little was sacrificed in comparison to the PS5 or PC game.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Re-mappable controls
Dashing
Fast traversal
Not getting stuck on various things
Auto ladder climbing
Auto loot grabbing
Configurable font size
VR point-grab-flick
Diagram of controls on pause screen
Option to exit-to-desktop on pause screen
Practice mode on loading screens
Bonus for staying in practice mode if you want

Not really game design but positive gaming trends:
Variable Refresh Rate
Linux for gaming
How is performance vs windows?

ksdixon

I think we're half way into gaming transformation. Putting aside streaming and subscriptions, I look at RE8 getting VR mode after release (for free even), and I think most games, even single player ones could live within an after support GAAS model. A fighting game a gen stuffed with content, even story chapters. Elsewhere I'm fine with franchises having a base story and MP section of installation, meaning I can remove either part to save hdd space, and when they get released I plug and play different dlc story chapters. To mimick the older faster release schedule. Not everything has to take 7 years development and cost over budget so that if it's not a shining star it's considered a relative failure. Don't have to reinvent the wheel every time either.

Kabelly

I love seeing more and more devs finally adding gyroscopic motion aim natively to their games. Makes console games much more enjoyable. :)

MiguelItUp

Faster load times
More performance-based options on PC
60+ fps standard
Cross-platform
Cross-play
Cloud saves
DLSS/FSR

Games embracing online communities. I know everyone here hates games as a service but some of the most memorable moment I have in gaming is me and my friends clowning around online. I was driving a car trying to escape a sticky situation in DMZ when an AI fired a rocket through my right side window and exited out the left. Or me and my friend trying to extract when an enemy highjacked out helicopter and we were able to sneak up on them and kill them 3 seconds before their successful exfil... you cant script moments like that. Those happen organically and can't be recreated in any other medium.

Top Bottom