• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Triangle Strategy review published in Famitsu

Bullet Club

Triangle Strategy review published in Famitsu​

The first review score is out for Square Enix’s Switch RPG, which releases this week

gwxe30A.jpg

The first Triangle Strategy review has been published in the Japanese magazine Famitsu.

According to Ryokutya2089, a website that often posts details from Famitsu early, the publication’s four reviewers awarded the Switch RPG a review score of 35/40, with its critics settling on scores of 8, 9, 9 and 9.

According to Ryokutya, Famitsu praised the game’s battle system and story, which it said carries a lot of weight. However, it notes that the gaps between combat and story sections can be frustratingly long.

Famitsu previously gave Octopath Traveler, Square Enix’s other ‘HD-2D’ Switch RPG, a review score of 36/40 (9/9/9/9).

Whereas Octopath Traveler was a traditional turn-based RPG, Triangle Strategy (as the name suggests) puts more focus on tactics, which may appeal more to fans of the Fire Emblem or Final Fantasy Tactics series.

The game is due out for Nintendo Switch this Friday, March 4.

Square Enix is considering other classic games from its 16-bit catalogue to create ‘HD-2D’ remakes for, it’s said.

As reported by Famitsu, during a new ‘radio’ show on Square Enix’s Japanese YouTube channel, developers working on Triangle Strategy confirmed that Square Enix president Yosuka Matsuda wants the studio to use the art style to remake SNES games.

This includes a remake of Japan-only Super Famicom release Live A Live, which was announced during the last Nintendo Direct presentation and reimagines the 16-bit original in the HD-2D art style.

“The president ordered us to make more use of HD-2D, so we decided to think about remakes of past titles,” producer Tomoya Asano said.

“So we lined up possible titles and thought about which could be done in HD-2D, and brought them to the president.”

Source: VGC

I really appreciated the team putting out the demo because when I tried it out I was pretty convinced it wasn’t for me, despite enjoying what I saw in videos of the combat. The amount of dialog was a bit of a turn off for me.

Hoping everyone enjoys the game though. I love the art style!

Louay

Triangle Strategy review published in Famitsu​

The first review score is out for Square Enix’s Switch RPG, which releases this week

gwxe30A.jpg

The first Triangle Strategy review has been published in the Japanese magazine Famitsu.

According to Ryokutya2089, a website that often posts details from Famitsu early, the publication’s four reviewers awarded the Switch RPG a review score of 35/40, with its critics settling on scores of 8, 9, 9 and 9.

According to Ryokutya, Famitsu praised the game’s battle system and story, which it said carries a lot of weight. However, it notes that the gaps between combat and story sections can be frustratingly long.

Famitsu previously gave Octopath Traveler, Square Enix’s other ‘HD-2D’ Switch RPG, a review score of 36/40 (9/9/9/9).

Whereas Octopath Traveler was a traditional turn-based RPG, Triangle Strategy (as the name suggests) puts more focus on tactics, which may appeal more to fans of the Fire Emblem or Final Fantasy Tactics series.

The game is due out for Nintendo Switch this Friday, March 4.

Square Enix is considering other classic games from its 16-bit catalogue to create ‘HD-2D’ remakes for, it’s said.

As reported by Famitsu, during a new ‘radio’ show on Square Enix’s Japanese YouTube channel, developers working on Triangle Strategy confirmed that Square Enix president Yosuka Matsuda wants the studio to use the art style to remake SNES games.

This includes a remake of Japan-only Super Famicom release Live A Live, which was announced during the last Nintendo Direct presentation and reimagines the 16-bit original in the HD-2D art style.

“The president ordered us to make more use of HD-2D, so we decided to think about remakes of past titles,” producer Tomoya Asano said.

“So we lined up possible titles and thought about which could be done in HD-2D, and brought them to the president.”

Source: VGC
look like SE found more success in these small games, low invest high return.

Last edited:

Shifty1897

Famitsu reviews mean nothing to me (One point worse than Octopath Traveler but one point better than Metroid Dread? Go home Famitsu, you're drunk), but after playing the prologue demo some more, I'm less hyped than before. The voice acting was subpar by modern standards and the lack of character customization seems like it will limit how deep the strategy element can go. Additionally, the HD-2D art style seems to work less well with a fully rotatable camera. Locking the camera in Octopath Traveler allowed devs to create some breathtaking environments. Here things look especially blurry at all times, though that may just be me playing mostly in handheld mode. I played almost all of Octopath docked.

If I sound like I'm being too hard on it, it's probably because I am. I'm still interested and may still pick it up day one, but I've adjusted my expectations. This isn't Tactics Ogre 2, but it's still going to be a solid effort into the SRPG space.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
The demo put me to sleep. I played about an hour, most of which was people standing in one place, yapping on and on as if the writers are getting paid by the word.

Even worse than Octopath, and that’s saying something.

I wanted it to be good (FF Tactics is one of my all time favorites) but the demo confirmed all my worst fears and suspicions that I had going into it.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I wouldnt put any worth into Famitsu reviews. The reviewers do consensus meetings to smooth out the ratings. Big name games all get scores like 8/8/9/9 or 9/10/9/10. Low budget games get 5/6/5/5.

Most scores deviate by only 1 rating pt as it's all smooth out.

drganon

I'm playing the second version of the demo and liking it so far. Definitely caught my attention more than octopath traveler, which I've yet to beat.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I think the game would be me jam, but I am in Elden Ring, and don't have time for another game so a Game triangle would not be a good strategy.

Raven117

Gold Member
Meh...I'll see what the overall consensus is. I didn't particularly care for Octopath Traveler.

And with so much other stuff out right now...I'm just not going to force this one.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Been playing the demo off and on, my biggest gripe is that there is just SOOO much story content between battles. Also, the English voice acting sucks badly. Japanese dub all day every day.

Mister Wolf

Been playing the demo off and on, my biggest gripe is that there is just SOOO much story content between battles. Also, the English voice acting sucks badly. Japanese dub all day every day.

I wanted to go in blind. Does the game at least have auto advance dialogue. Also are you enjoying Trails In The Sky?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I wanted to go in blind. Does the game at least have auto advance dialogue. Also are you enjoying Trails In The Sky?
Game has auto advance dialogue (press R to activate it)

I've been REALLY enjoying Trails in the Sky, but I'll also admit that my enjoyment of that game has been bolstered greatly from modding in the Japanese voices from the Vita release. I'm getting close to the final chapter, so maybe another 15-ish hours to go?

Life

Used to love Jrpgs - but these look like they were made with RPG-maker man - despite it being from Square Enix! Let the indie studios make these typa games at least.

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
I had no idea it was out this week. Seems like it has really been under the radar. Maybe I'll finally give that demo a try if it's still available.

I had no idea it was out this week. Seems like it has really been under the radar. Maybe I'll finally give that demo a try if it's still available.
Im so into Elden Ring and Horizon that im worried ima push this one to the back burner for too long..I bee nwaiting for this one myself

Its crazy how good the first couple months of this year has already been for gaming, hell the fall too.

Fbh

Still haven't played the demo.
Is the story/writing at least any good?

One of my biggest issues with Octopath was that all the various stories and characters were some forgettable cookie cutter stuff.

CashPrizes

I loved the 2nd demo released last month, got every character to level 5, really looking forward to the game.

Sure the character customization is pretty linear, but it seems very expensive to unlock those weapon talents so you have to skip some and prioritize others.

I don't get people complaining about the long story sequences, that is some of the best stuff! Story seems a lot better then Octopath's. Really digging the soundtrack (very important in these types of games) and art style. Now if only a geyser of blood erupted every time you killed an enemy (Vandal Hearts), it would be perfect!

Last edited:

jshackles

Still haven't played the demo.
Is the story/writing at least any good?

One of my biggest issues with Octopath was that all the various stories and characters were some forgettable cookie cutter stuff.
The story in the demo seems like a pretty decent setup. The game is obviously a slow burn (again back to my biggest gripe being that it's too story heavy and not enough battling) but like most RPGs, the beginning of the game is going to have the most story content while they're setting up the characters / places / world. I wouldn't normally complain, but the battle sequences are SO GOOD that I often find myself wishing they were more frequent is all.

Protag is likable (assuming you turn off English voice acting, because in English he sounds like a whiny bitch) and supporting cast is wonderful too. Music is excellent. Battles are great and feel like they have weight to them. The game has a kind of Visual Novel feel to the story sections, but with a twist that the decisions you make (three different dialog options) kinda cumulate a hidden score - think Paragon / Renegade in Mass Effect, but with a third tier as well.

Honestly, this game scratches my personal Final Fantasy Tactics itch.

Boss Mog

I don't understand SE's policy about releasing a game like this only on Switch. Is Nintendo involved in funding or publishing this game?

Shifty1897

I don't understand SE's policy about releasing a game like this only on Switch. Is Nintendo involved in funding or publishing this game?
More than likely there's a deal there where Nintendo's cutting a check for temporary exclusivity. It will probably come to PC a year from now, like Octopath Traveller and Bravely Default 2 did.

Rat Rage

Where are the colors? I hate the ligthing! Otherwise the graphics look nice, but I really hope there is an option to turn this ugly HD-2D lighting piss filter off. Tactics Ogre looks way better color-wise!
The Square side of SE continues to be shit. The whole HD-2D style is such a stupid, unnecessary concept just to use the term "HD" for marketing purposes without any thought of whether or not it would actually benefit traditional 2D sprite aesthetics!
I bet the whole concept's purely been the brainchild of some marketing fuckhead(s).

Top Bottom