• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective - McConaughey/Harrelson crime series - S2 starts June 21st

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tugatrix

CAUSE EUGH, MAN, JUST ROLL WITH IT.

giphy.gif

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I could see Sam Rockwell on this show. I think he'd fit right in and he's fucking fantastic.

fake edit- I see I'm not the first, even second person to mention him...

Chinner

Banned
this should be the new cast of true detective

solo
sculi
coolio.

solo is the dark and intense one, sculi is the funny one and coolio is the camp one.

Pretty bummed that season 2 isn't going to have one director like season 1 did. Fukunaga's work was incredible. I understand why, but it's still a bummer.

Kraftwerk

Holy Shit....

I just realized something. I had a dream 3-4 months ago about True Detective, and it involved Jessica Chastain. Here is my original post, not edited;

I had a dream about True Detective last night, I feel weird right now.

I was one of the two detectives, and it seems like it was the season finale. It wasn't a long dream.

Started with me walking down a down town strip with Jessica Chastain - not sure what her role was. A few cops are with us too. Mark Ruffalo was my detective partner. We turn left into an alley and it starts looking very rural. We get to a house and my dream just skips to us coming back out with the lady who was the main villain and a baby killer. We are walking back to the cars when I suddenly stop and look at a list. It's a list of all the babies she has killed, and two of them were only a few months old. I just collapse on the ground and start bawling. I'm talking about waterfall tears.

Then I woke up. I could not sleep after that.

The whole thing had a very David Fincher look to it.

And yes, This actually happened, for someone who thinks I'm kidding. I really didn't sleep after that, still don't feel right.

Shit, time is a flat circle :0

Kraftwerk

Back to confused. Is Jessica chastain in or out? Thought she denied taking the role.

She isn't going to be in it. I just posted that since I had a dream about her being in True Detective months before the announcement/rumor. Found it crazy.....The Yellow king has possessed me!

No Love

Banned
Just finished this in one huge binge-watch over the last day.

Holy FUCKING SHIT this is a god damn masterpiece. Everything I could say has probably already been said in this thread.

10/10, A+ stuff right here. One of the best TV shows I've ever seen. Can't wait for Season 2.

Vico

When might they announce the new leads?
(Because I guess they're going to start shooting in the coming months, right? Unless it's not planned for early next year)

When might they announce the new leads?
(Because I guess they're going to start shooting in the coming months, right? Unless it's not planned for early next year)

It's not planned for early next year and i'm pretty sure about that. This time last year they almost finished filming.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Just finished this in one huge binge-watch over the last day.

Holy FUCKING SHIT this is a god damn masterpiece. Everything I could say has probably already been said in this thread.

10/10, A+ stuff right here. One of the best TV shows I've ever seen. Can't wait for Season 2.

I liked it 10/10, A+ until the very end. How they wrapped it all up so nice and neatly, just didn't sit right with me.

Lol why not? You're the second person that says that, and yet have no basis other than your opinion. Which is fine, but I ain't talking subjective here.

Pitt is a better actor than Woody. Everyone knows that. Just because you're a blockbuster actor (and Pitt wouldn't even quality for that, considering how flexible he is in the roles he chooses), doesn't mean you can't act as well. Se7en is a great example of how good he'd be as a detective. Add Bale to the mix--everyone knows this dude's acting skills and dedication--and you have recipe for success.

I think part of why I love the final 10 minutes so much are how it ends with a conversation that would never have happened had it not been for all the stuff the two protagonists faced together over the years. For a series which reveled in it's darkness, we see an ending that is optimistic and hopeful but neither does it seem out of place nor does it betray the series tone.

Cherry on top: Final episode credits song

Dave_6

My Blu-ray set came in today and I'm going to start it tonight. Heard too much good stuff about it so it was a blind buy. Can't wait to check it out!

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I think part of why I love the final 10 minutes so much are how it ends with a conversation that would never have happened had it not been for all the stuff the two protagonists faced together over the years. For a series which reveled in it's darkness, we see an ending that is optimistic and hopeful but neither does it seem out of place nor does it betray the series tone.

Cherry on top: Final episode credits song

See, I can't understand this. For me it's the exact opposite. I usually roll my eyes when people toss around "deus ex machina" but here I think it perfectly expresses my issues with the conclusion and sudden character shift: A near-death heaven-vision appears out of thin air to wholly alter the worldview of the most fleshed out, convincingly realistic cynic I've experienced in a piece of fiction. It (imo) betrayed his character and and in a way invalidated his previous actions/beliefs. Just didn't sit right. I mean, hey if that's the arc they were going for, fine... but it felt false.

Blader

See, I can't understand this. For me it's the exact opposite. I usually roll my eyes when people toss around "deus ex machina" but here I think it perfectly expresses my issues with the conclusion and sudden character shift: A near-death heaven-vision appears out of thin air to wholly alter the worldview of the most fleshed out, convincingly realistic cynic I've experienced in a piece of fiction. It (imo) betrayed his character and and in a way invalidated his previous actions/beliefs. Just didn't sit right. I mean, hey if that's the arc they were going for, fine... but it felt false.

Rust's cynicism is born out of the despair over his daughter's death and subsequently broken family. He didn't decide that life is intrinsically meaningless on his own, it was a coping mechanism to deal with his trauma. His arc in the show is about confronting and exorcising that fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom