• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump call transcript with Duterte leaked, calls Kim Jong Un "madman with nukes"

Tovarisc

Trump calls Kim Jong Un a ‘madman with nuclear weapons,' according to transcript of Duterte call

President Trump labeled North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un a ”madman with nuclear weapons" during a private phone conversation with Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte last month, just days before stating publicly that he would be ”honored" to meet with Kim.

In the April 29 call, Trump sought Duterte's input on whether Kim is ”stable or not stable" and expressed some satisfaction in North Korea's recent failed missile tests, noting that ”all his rockets are crashing. That's the good news," according to a transcript of the conversation made by the Philippines government on May 2 and obtained Tuesday by The Washington Post.

Duterte responded that Kim is ”playing with his bombs, his toys" and offered that ”his mind is not working well and he just might go crazy one moment." That prompted Trump to point out that the United States has ”a lot of firepower over there," including ”two nuclear submarines" sent by the Pentagon to the region last month.

Later in the call, Trump raised the stakes of the escalating tensions on the Korean Peninsula when he observed: ”We can't let a madman with nuclear weapons let on the loose like that. We have a lot of firepower, more than he has, times 20 — but we don't want to use it."

A senior Trump administration official acknowledged that the transcript is accurate but declined to speak on the record about ”a leaked document from a foreign government." The Post obtained the document from a person who asked not to be identified because the transcript, labeled by the Philippines government as ”confidential," is not intended for public release.

Trump is ”rallying as much support as he can on North Korea," the administration official said, speaking on the condition of anonymity. ”Regional support is extremely meaningful. This is how he's trying to proactively manage a very difficult situation."

Trump's call with Duterte, during which he extended an invitation to visit him at the White House, was met with skepticism from some foreign policy analysts and human rights groups. Since taking office in June, Duterte has moved to hedge on the Philippines' long-standing defense alliance with the United States by establishing closer relations with China. And his administration has overseen a brutal extrajudicial campaign that has resulted in the killings of thousands of suspected drug dealers.

Trump has not spoken out against that strategy, and in their call he praised Duterte for doing an ”unbelievable job on the drug problem."

”Many countries have the problem, we have the problem, but what a great job you are doing and I just wanted to call and tell you that," Trump said, according to the transcript.

After Duterte replied that drugs are the ”scourge of my nation now and I have to do something to preserve the Filipino nation," Trump appeared to take a swipe at his predecessor, Barack Obama, who had canceled a bilateral meeting with Duterte after the Philippines leader insulted him.

”I understand that and fully understand that and I think we had a previous president who did not understand that," Trump said.

The senior Trump administration official said that the president was not condoning Duterte's ”individual tactics" for cracking down on illicit drugs. Rather, this was Trump's ”way of expressing solidarity over a common scourge," the official said.

Trump told Duterte he hopes ”China solves the problem ... But if China doesn't do it, we will do it." Duterte then offered to call Xi and emphasize the importance of altering Pyongyang's behavior.

”You can tell him I am counting on him," Trump replied. ”I have a very good relationship with him. I had him in Florida for two days and got to know him well. He is a good guy."

”I will love to have you in the Oval Office," Trump said. ”Any time you want to come ... Seriously, if you want to come over, just let us know. Just take care of yourself, and we will take care of North Korea."

Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...a_story.html?tid=ss_tw&utm_term=.e593b14bb51f

Edit: Intercept also reported on this, maybe even before WaPo? https://theintercept.com/2017/05/23...ll-with-philippine-president-rodrigo-duterte/

c01afca8d28139760e875965798d7bd4_kettle-black-meme-memesuper-kettle-black-meme-kettle-calling-kettle-black-meme_491-562.jpeg

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
his administration has overseen a brutal extrajudicial campaign that has resulted in the killings of thousands of suspected drug dealers.

Trump has not spoken out against that strategy, and in their call he praised Duterte for doing an “unbelievable job on the drug problem.”

“Many countries have the problem, we have the problem, but what a great job you are doing and I just wanted to call and tell you that,” Trump said, according to the transcript.

After Duterte replied that drugs are the “scourge of my nation now and I have to do something to preserve the Filipino nation,” Trump appeared to take a swipe at his predecessor, Barack Obama, who had canceled a bilateral meeting with Duterte after the Philippines leader insulted him.

“I understand that and fully understand that and I think we had a previous president who did not understand that,” Trump said.

Let's be clear that they are talking about a campaign of murder without trial. Anyone suspected or accused of being a drug dealer in the Phillipenes is just taken out in the street and shot.

Monsters.

gruenel

Trump has not spoken out against that strategy, and in their call he praised Duterte for doing an “unbelievable job on the drug problem.”

“Many countries have the problem, we have the problem, but what a great job you are doing and I just wanted to call and tell you that,” Trump said, according to the transcript.

Well fuck me

Volimar

Murder people and call them drug dealers and you too might get a congratulatory call from the President of the United States. Why is he even talking to Duterte about NK?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Murder people and call them drug dealers and you too might get a congratulatory call from the President of the United States. Why is he even talking to Duterte about NK?

He needs approval like normal people need food and water.

Karkador

Banned
The senior Trump administration official said that the president was not condoning Duterte’s “individual tactics” for cracking down on illicit drugs. Rather, this was Trump’s “way of expressing solidarity over a common scourge,” the official said.

This is complete and utter bullshit

Let's be clear that they are talking about a campaign of murder without trial. Anyone suspected or accused of being a drug dealer in the Phillipenes is just taken out in the street and shot.

Monsters.
Yeah, that stands out to be much more than the comments about North Korea. He's praising vigilante justice and killing people for so much as an accusation of being drug dealers. That's all kinds of fucked up and is in no way deserving of praise. Can't remember if Trump's commented on the topic before but either way giving those blatant human rights abuses anything but the strongest condemnation makes my blood boil. Fuck him.

Iolo

Wow the US is as many as 20 times more powerful than the backwards nation of North Korea. Tell me more, Donald Trump

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
After Duterte replied that drugs are the “scourge of my nation now and I have to do something to preserve the Filipino nation,” Trump appeared to take a swipe at his predecessor, Barack Obama, who had canceled a bilateral meeting with Duterte after the Philippines leader insulted him.

“I understand that and fully understand that and I think we had a previous president who did not understand that,” Trump said.

This makes Obama look good. This makes Trump look like an amoral creep.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
“I will love to have you in the Oval Office,” Trump said. “Any time you want to come … Seriously, if you want to come over, just let us know."
"Please be my friend."

Oersted

Youreanassholebutyourenotwrong.gif

There's some irony there though.

There is literally noone outside Northkorea who doesn't think that way.

Might as well congratulate him on saying there is a sun and a moon.

I'd love to know if Trump actually thinks that, he clearly just tells world leaders what they want to hear, undoubtably his idea of 'diplomacy', child-like as it may be.

Because if he does believe that, yeesh.

Team both. He does tell everyone what they wanna hear and he has a boner for "strong men".

rpmurphy

"Any time you want to come ... Seriously, if you want to come over, just let us know. I got an opioid problem at home."

I believe that one part was missed out in the transcript.

Game-Biz

Sounds like he just wanted to say what Duterte wanted to hear. Except you can do that without proclaiming how wonderful Duterte's horrific approach to dealing with drug dealers is.

CHC

I'd love to know if Trump actually thinks that, he clearly just tells world leaders what they want to hear, undoubtably his idea of 'diplomacy', child-like as it may be.

Because if he does believe that, yeesh.

I honestly don't think he has set opinions about anything, really. Seriously. He's exactly like Patrick Bateman, his feelings about things are just nothing - a void of negativity and nihilism. His only compass for how to feel about anything comes entirely from other people, and it rotates constantly.

So yeah, I don't think you're really off base with that. I bet if someone tried to convince him that the murders are horrible and evil, he'd probably agree and call Duterte a bastard and a "sick guy" during that conversation.

Trump is just an inherently empty person. I mean even just little things like him not really liking any music in particular, or not enjoying food other than just as fuel are.... eerie.

Breloom

Neo Member
Are you saying that Kim Jong Un isn't dangerous?

why is he considered dangerous and not the US considering the US has way more nuclear weapons? what about the fact that the us dropped over 26000 bombs in just 2016? why is it seen as the US fighting for their freedom when they drop bombs on other countries but when the DPRK just test their weapons they are chastised for it? why do people not go crazy when the US spend $600 billion on their military compared to the DPRK's $7-8 billion? why is kim jong un the dangerous one when the US literally carpet bombed their entire country killing a third of their population and continue to surround the border with US troops ready to intervene when the DPRK step out of their line? the US are the one being aggressors here, the DPRK are just progressing as a country and are understandably protecting themselves against US imperialism - understandable after the US literally killed a third of their population

Top Bottom