• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump clashed with multiple GOP senators over Russia

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/08/23/trump-senate-yell-phone-calls-241950

President Donald Trump privately vented his frustration over Russia-related matters with at least two other Republican senators this month, according to people familiar with the conversations — in addition to the president's public admonishments of Mitch McConnell, John McCain, and Jeff Flake.

Trump expressed frustration over a bipartisan bill sanctioning Russia and tried to convince Senate Foreign Relations Chairman Bob Corker (R-Tenn.) that it wasn't good policy, according to three people familiar with the call. Trump argued that the legislation was unconstitutional and said it would damage his presidency. Corker was unrelenting, these people said, and told Trump the bill was going to pass both houses with bipartisan support.

"He was clearly frustrated," one person said of Trump’s call with Corker earlier this month. The bill cleared Congress overwhelmingly last month and Trump grudgingly signed it on Aug. 2.

Trump dialed up Sen. Thom Tillis (R-N.C.) on Aug. 7, two days before a blunt call with the Senate majority leader that spilled over into a public feud. Tillis is working with Sen. Chris Coons (D-Del.) on a bill designed to protect Robert Mueller, the independent counsel investigating the president's Russia connections, from any attempt by Trump to fire him.

"You guys don't understand, they have this video of some guy, not me, but some guy I know.. Very powerful guy, believe me. Great guy."

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
I know this point is made constantly, but really, just imagine for a minute that Clinton behaved this way over stuff like Benghazi.

Razorback

If I had colluded with Russians to win the presidency, I'd think these sanctions would hurt my presidency as well.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
You know, if there's nothing there Donald, there's no need to worry about the Russia thing...right?

He's stuck either way. If he fights it, it shows that he's Putin puppet. If he lets it go through, that's essentially an admission that Russia did interfere and that they did something worth sanctioning.

Basically he put himself in a no-win situation by choosing to collude with Russia in the first place.

Come on guys, there's nothing to see here, he just wants to try a conciliatory approach to Russian relations. Mitch McConnell and his mean group of lawmakers are just too dumb to know how to make a deal with Putin that's good for America.

Cipherr

Where are all the people that pop into the threads where something new is discovered going:

"This stuff isn't going to lead to anything"

"And nothing will happen"

etc etc. Why don't they show up in these threads where its suuuuuper obvious this scumbag is trying to do everything he can to stop things.

Feep

Banned
Mueller, can't you just take all this obstruction of justice right now and go after Trump? Surely this is enough.
Assuming criminal charges can't be leveled (and despite articles around the internet about obscure legal precedent, it's unlikely), this isn't enough. Republicans will not vote to impeach based on this alone.

Assuming criminal charges can't be leveled (and despite articles around the internet about obscure legal precedent, it's unlikely), this isn't enough. Republicans will not vote to impeach based on this alone.

Will they speak out on anything though is the question.

Lombax

Banned
GOP looks like a bunch of clowns. I really don't understand how the orange fuck is still in office. The entire system is pathetic.

Flo_Evans

Government shutdown because of the stupid fucking wall would be one way to get that ball rolling.

Idk that was GOP house members last time iirc.

Basically I don't think the house hearings really went anywhere. Senators tend to be more senior statesmen with more security clearance so a lot more can be said in closed door sessions. I'm not sure if either chamber is continuing their own investigations or waiting on mueller results at the moment, but senators will be much more informed on foreign affairs and intelligence than your average house member.

Was watching Rick Wilson on MSNBC just now who brought up some interesting points.

* Trump doesn't understand the Constitution and that our government is three co-equal branches, so he thinks the Senate, along with the rest of the House and Judiciary literally work for him.

* Trump mistakes classic Senatorial civility and tradition as weakness, and that he won't realize when they shiv him.

Government shutdown because of the stupid fucking wall would be one way to get that ball rolling.
Always figured that if Tax Reform fizzles individual Republicans would fight amongst themselves to be the first to come out for impeachment.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
I thought the republican species was invertebrate. Who knew

If you want to outlast Trump, colluding with him to promote policy at the behest of a foreign government sure won't help.

There's very little reason to work with/trust someone like Trump.

Always figured that if Tax Reform fizzles individual Republicans would fight amongst themselves to be the first to come out for impeachment.
Trump still has the ability to important voter groups against them, and hurt them during the midterms. I doubt we'll see any Republicans seriously considering impeachment unless Muller finds a smoking gun or they start doing so poorly in the polls that Trump turning on them publicly won't matter.

Top Bottom