• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump says he "would be honoured" to meet with Kim Jong Un

Socreges

Banned
It´s pretty incredible that 100 days after there is still a thread for every single thing he says. Aren't you bored already?

7+ long years ahead.
But...he's the US President. Talking about North Korea. At a time when there's constant sabre-rattling and even greater tension. What he says is extremely important.

If this doesn't concern you, just don't enter these threads.

sangreal

But...he's the US President. Talking about North Korea. At a time when there's constant sabre-rattling and even greater tension. What he says is extremely important.

If this doesn't concern you, just don't enter these threads.
"Would you be willing to meet separately, without precondition, during the first year of your administration, in Washington or anywhere else, with the leaders of Iran, Syria, Venezuela, Cuba and North Korea, in order to bridge the gap that divides our countries?"

"I would," Obama said. "And the reason is this, that the notion that somehow not talking to countries is punishment to them — which has been the guiding diplomatic principle of this administration — is ridiculous."

"So, you know, for all their tough talk, one of the things you have to ask yourself is: What are George Bush and John McCain afraid of? Demanding that a country meets all your conditions before you meet with them, that's not a strategy; it's just naive, wishful thinking. I'm not afraid that we'll lose some propaganda fight with a dictator."

It was true then (2008) and its true now

Linkura

giphy.gif

I love the gifs from The Interview. I couldn't even finish watching the movie, but the gifs are classic.

Acosta

So the alternative is to ignore him when he praises murderers and slave owners?

I don't really know, to be honest.

I know "this is a forum of discussion, etc" yeah, I know. But dunno, every single thing? is really worth it or constructive? are we using our mental energy in the right way with this?

It´s a open question in order to preserve our sanity. I'm certainly exhausted of it.

(This is a personal and probably worthless take from me, you can safely ignore me).

I posted this yesterday, but it stills hold true.

Get ready America for your first El Presidente for life.

OJHREin.png

He fits the bill. Last night I saw this:

The_Childhood_of_a_Leader_poster.png

it basically amounts to groping and mommy issues. I can picture the donald's fascist upbringing a more fucked up version of this movie.

sangreal

There's a difference between committing to diplomacy and outright praising dictators and murderers.

No, there really isn't. You can't have diplomacy while insulting the people you're trying to talk to. Diplomacy is carefully choreographed for this exact reason. It's also why people have condemned most of Trump's attempts at diplomacy

The idea that the USA is the great bestower of legitimacy and therefore can't show any respect to (some) dictators is nonsense bush-era thinking

I know "this is a forum of discussion, etc" yeah, I know. But dunno, every single thing? is really worth it or constructive? are we using our mental energy in the right way with this?

It´s a open question in order to preserve our sanity. I'm certainly exhausted of it.

(This is a personal and probably worthless take from me, you can safely ignore me).

That's precisely what they want. They want us to be exhausted and start letting shit slide so they can slowly start to say and do more and more heinous shit that we'll eventually give way to. That's how dictatorships get formed.

So no, we shouldn't ignore it or let anything slide.

jstripes

Banned
I don't have a problem with this. Diplomacy is better than war

It's the message that it sends.

You don't just casually say out of the blue that you'd be honored to meet with a brutal autocrat. It legitimizes that person and all of their actions.

Has this guy ever had a considered thought in his fucking life

on top of the other stuff he's an absolute disaster for measured use of the English language.

Ri'Orius

No, there really isn't. You can't have diplomacy while insulting the people you're trying to talk to. Diplomacy is carefully choreographed for this exact reason

While I'm fine with that in principle as part of diplomacy, and would accept that reasoning if this statement were made by Pence or Ryan or Rubio, Donald Trump Tells It Like It Is™. If he's gonna use that as an excuse for his horrible statements, I'm happy to hold him to it for his diplomatic ones.

So there's going to be a thread on every sentence Trump spits out?
Do you even begin to realize how important (whether you or I like it or not) the garbage that flows from his mouth matters to domestic and international politics. Pull your head up out of your ass and pay attention, Junior.

What civil discourse could possibly result from such a meeting? There is 0% chance of an understanding or alliance.

Podge293

I get 99% of the stuff against Trump but this particular one I don't get.

Like he's hardly gonna come out and say "it'd be so fucking shit if I've to meet him"

Say the pleasant words, establish communication and potentially not have KJU send a nuke over.

Some of you are having a very hard time grasping the difference between a U.S. president saying "I would be willing to meet with brutal dictators in order to compromise on matters of war and peace" and saying "Kim Jong Un [or Putin, or Erdogan] is a smart cookie and I'd be super honored just to get to be in his presence."

One is measured and diplomatic, the other is insane, unprincipled, and makes all our allies nervous.

Shiggy

I get 99% of the stuff against Trump but this particular one I don't get.

Like he's hardly gonna come out and say "it'd be so fucking shit if I've to meet him"

Say the pleasant words, establish communication and potentially not have KJU send a nuke over.

You'd also be fine with Roosevelt saying "I'd be honoured to meet with Adolf Hitler"? " Honoured"?!

Podge293

You'd also be fine with Roosevelt saying "I'd be honoured to meet with Adolf Hitler"? " Honoured"?!

If he had access to nuclear weapons that he might trigger cuz someone said something bad against him then yeah.

This isn't just an America problem, nukes will effect everyone. I don't wanna be stuck with a fucked up world cuz the US president decided to forget diplomatic speak

“Most political people would never say that,” Trump said of his willingness to meet with the reclusive Kim, “but I’m telling you under the right circumstances I would meet with him. We have breaking news.”

Wut?

Shiggy

If he had access to nuclear weapons that he might trigger cuz someone said something bad against him then yeah.

This isn't just an America problem, nukes will effect everyone. I don't wanna be stuck with a fucked up world cuz the US president decided to forget diplomatic speak

Saying he's honoured or not will not change North Korea's attitude. It will only make Trump look even more like an idiot.

You want a coke?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Colour, honour, favour. Welcome to British (actual) English ya turds. I'll beat you up.
I'm Canadian and we're supposed to use those spellings, but taking a step out of nationalism and "I like it because I was raised on it": these spellings are bad. Americans got one thing right.

Podge293

Saying he's honoured or not will not change North Korea's attitude. It will only make Trump look even more like an idiot.

You want a coke?

Never said it would but it's sure as shit better than trump saying "it'd be such a drag to meet him"

Moosichu

No, there really isn't. You can't have diplomacy while insulting the people you're trying to talk to. Diplomacy is carefully choreographed for this exact reason. It's also why people have condemned most of Trump's attempts at diplomacy

The idea that the USA is the great bestower of legitimacy and therefore can't show any respect to (some) dictators is nonsense bush-era thinking

Which Trump does to America's allies.

dan2026

I kinda agree about not having a thread for every single little stupid thing Trump says.

Everyone and their dog knows he doesn't have two brain cells to rub together.
I don't really get the purpose of everyone repeating ad infinitum, 'oh he's so stupid', 'oh how could he say that?' 'I can't believe he's the President!'.

Salvadora

Some of you are having a very hard time grasping the difference between a U.S. president saying "I would be willing to meet with brutal dictators in order to compromise on matters of war and peace" and saying "Kim Jong Un [or Putin, or Erdogan] is a smart cookie and I'd be super honored just to get to be in his presence."

One is measured and diplomatic, the other is insane, unprincipled, and makes all our allies nervous.
I think it hurts your point when you make a quote up.

Steejee

Spiceweasel's attempt to spin this into good, normal diplomacy was kinda humorous. I think he did his stock NK speech like 4 times in today's presser, at least once in response to a question that wasn't really relevant (Philippines)

I actually do follow pretty much every single thing Trump does. Maybe 5% makes it to Gaf. His volume is just so high that it feels like every single thing. If anything, Gaf has shown remarkable restraint in it's threads on Trump.

I think it hurts your point when you make a quote up.

He called Kim a smart cookie last week, and today said he'd be honored to meet with him. Meanwhile, he reaffirmed calling his predecessor "a bad and sick guy."

I don't think I'm exaggerating the implication of the quote too greatly.

LordOfChaos

I'm going to quote myself from January.

lol :p

I think that's genuinely it. He has all these habits that may work if you're the head of a company (or maybe you could not be a dick and be successful, but that's what he thinks), and he thinks it will work for diplomacy.

Same as that ridiculous hand tug, it's all a power play. Only now he's playing with nuclear brinkmanship, not a lost deal.

He called Kim a smart cookie last week, and today said he'd be honored to meet with him. Meanwhile, he reaffirmed calling his predecessor "a bad and sick guy."

I don't think I'm exaggerating the implication of the quote too greatly.
And now Spicer is joiining in

Zubz

Banned
"We have breaking news"

Fucking clown

CNN will list it as "breaking" anyway; he must be desperate to control the headlines.

... Which means something worse is brewing, seeing how it tends to every time he says something this stupid.

Top Bottom