• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump says he "would be honoured" to meet with Kim Jong Un

Ahasverus

"I'd be honored to meet Hitler. let me tell you, I'm sure I could talk to the guy, maybe he just needs to get heard, you all know the feeling, and I'll try it, and I'll do it, and you'll see how easy it was all this time".

Putin, Duterte, Jong-un, Trump.

The Unholy Quartet of Princeps.

If Assad decides and calls Trump beautiful in the press, a genius, brilliant, the best, then the group can be the Unholy Quintet.

And O'Reilly and Hannity and Spicer will be their Unholy Harbingers of Doom and Evil, their messengers.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Come on, really? A 'good cop bad cop' routine?

How much more absurd can things get? Serious question, how is this sustainable.

If Kim desires international legitimacy and personal safety for his power structure more than his nukes, then it might be the right carrot for the job. It's a gamble, but for what it's worth, in their own words the aim of NK's nuclear program is their own self preservation. If the Kim regime's safety is guaranteed, then technically, there is no reason to have nukes. But that is also risky in that it would depend on how seriously you take their own words.

http://www.businessinsider.com/why-...ed-to-talk-to-north-koreas-kim-jong-un-2017-5

"By telling the North Korean leader that he's a 'smart cookie' and he'd be 'honored' to talk to them, I sense a difference in the US policy goals coming to North Korea," Sun said. "President Trump's goal and his agenda are quite strictly limited to the denuclearization of North Korea."

Sun contrasted this with another agenda: addressing North Korea's abysmal human-rights record and the dynastic nature of its leadership. According to Sun, Trump may be speaking highly of Kim to signal his goal is not regime change, only neutralizing the nuclear threat.

Sun characterized Trump's apparent course as "pretty classic carrot-and-stick."

But according to Jenny Town, the assistant director of the US-Korea Institute and a managing editor at 38 North, there may not be much to gain by reading into Trump's statements, which have been all over the place. In addition to the "smart cookie" comment, "he's also called Kim a madman, imbalanced, and irrational," Town said.

Town noted that Trump said he'd talk to Kim only "under the right circumstances." If those circumstances were understood to mean North Korea's denuclearization, they would still be "above the threshold of what we can expect North Korea to do unilaterally," Town said.

However, if the US could assure the Kim regime that it didn't want to remove it from power, it may be a little more willing to abandon its nuclear ambitions.

According to Sun, these actions are likely to pressure the Kim regime while showing that there's a realistic, non-humiliating off-ramp on the road to a nuclear confrontation.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
"You know I'm a plain spoken guy, and "honored" is really about the honor it is to be the representative of the American people, not about the other world leaders that I am obligated to interact with on behalf of this great nation. "

But no. because he won't ever let anyone admit he might have simply verbally stumbled. Meanwhile he talks like a nonstop car wreck at a Human Resources track meet.

Paganmoon

I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be honoured, but honored. He doesn't speak the Queen's English. Hell, he hardly speaks American English.

Top Bottom