• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trumpet players: beware!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Bowie

This goes out to both of the trumpet players on GAF.

Do NOT buy the product 'Spitballs' by Herco. They are DEADLY to your horn.

Example: Today I was performing regular maintainence on my horn. I picket up this product called 'Spitballs'. Apparently, it's supposed to clean out the inside of your horn and make everything sparkly clean. This sounded like a blast. I picket some up.

The directions state that you should take one of these little foam balls covered in solution and cram it up the lead pipe about 6 inches with a pencil. Then, you put back on the mouthpiece and blow really hard. After a moment, it should shoot through the horn, leaving a trail of delicious cleanliness behind it. I stuffed it in and blew.

Nothing. Nothing came out. After 5 minutes of superblowing, all I had was a clogged trumpet and a throbbing headache. I took apart the horn, and sure enough, it was lodged in pipe right next to the third valve. I fished it out with a pencil, screwed back on the third valve, and tried to play the horn.

Once again, NOTHING. Even with nothing in the pipes, it got jammed up. I had to re-oil the valves, take them all out, and detail the horn just to get the trumpet to sound again.

For the love of God, do not buy 'Spitballs' by Herco. They will FUCK YOU up.

Leon

I predict 0 replies by actual trumpet players. I'm not a trumpet player.

What/who made you start playing the trumpet?

EDIT : Dammit, Dyne.

Dyne

Maybe it was just your horn. Most are different sizes. Bores are different, piping's different.. it's all how the modeller want the horn to sound.

I had a similar experience with my Soprano sax and shammy clothes. The one with the string and weight, right? I could not find ONE cloth that could fit through the sax. Every time I tried, I had to get my flute cleaner out and reach with my fingers through the bell. It was hard as hell to get out.

I play trumpet. No wait, I play everything. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom