• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tsunami warning across Indian Ocean after 8.6-8.7 earthquake

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajim

This seems like a huge mess, no one knows whats going to happen. I really hope as many people as possible can stay safe, and smart by getting the fuck out of there asap.

MMaRsu

Banned
The sea near Phuket is gone.

AqMVgWbCEAAlU2z.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/#!/Orawan_TV/status/190019254794457089/photo/1

Holy shit that's insane, calm before the storm..

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I may take a quick walk around the block to see if anything's up, but absolutely nothing has happened to me so far.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
It was my brothers wedding over there today. No news from him so I'm assuming everything is ok. News reports dont seem too bad.

FStop7

Banned
[Updated at 9:04 a.m. ET] The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center has cancelled its tsunami watch in the Indian Ocean.

"Sea level readings now indicate that the threat had diminished or is over for most areas," the center said.

Well that's some pretty great news.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
yeah thats good and all but where the fuck did the beach go

maybe it was tired of all the jokes

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
The only thing that's been affected by the tsunami here is that the 24-hour Tesco was closed. Which meant that the 7-11 across the street got my beer dollars instead.

yeah thats good and all but where the fuck did the beach go

maybe it was tired of all the jokes

I remember when people were waiting for a Tsunami to possibly hit Hawaii a year or two back, and there was feed on the news channels of the water constantly getting sucked out and then coming back, but a Tsunami never came. It just effected the tides.

Angry Fork

Where do all the fish go when the sea comes out like that? Do they just swim with it I guess? Why do the tides get pulled that far back in the first place?

pestul

Well, considering that seabed looks pretty dang level with almost no slope (in that pic), that might not be far off a regular low tide for the region. Tides can fluctuate up to 40ft in some extreme cases (Bay of Fundy).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom