• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

7.0 Earthquake off coast of Japan. (Up: Tsunami warnings cancelled)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-34816292

A tsunami warning has been issued for parts of Japan after a magnitude 7.0 earthquake struck off the country's south-western coast.
The Japan Meteorological Agency said waves could hit the western coast of Kagoshima prefecture and Satsunan islands further to the south.
It said the quake happened at the depth of about 10km (six miles).
The US Geological Survey said the tremor struck some 159km south-west of the town of Makurazaki.

Oh damn, wasn't the last one only two or three years ago? They clean up the mess pretty quickly but damn, stay safe Japan-GAF.

Not that I'm in any danger whatsoever, but the headline definitely gave me pause (because I'm visiting a coastal town today, but on Japan's eastern coast). My thoughts go out to those potentially affected.

Joni

Tsunami Warnings / Tsunami Advisories

Issued at 07:20 JST 14 Nov 2015

Tsunami Advisories have been cancelled.

*******************Text********************
Tsunami Advisories have been cancelled for the following coastal regions of Japan:
TANEGASHIMA AND YAKUSHIMA AREA
AMAMI ISLANDS AND TOKARA ISLANDS
WESTERN PART OF KAGOSHIMA PREF.

No Major Tsunami Warnings, Tsunami Warnings and Advisories are currently in effect.

******* Earthquake Information ********
Occurred at 05:51 JST 14 Nov 2015
Region name SATSUMA-HANTO SEIHO-OKI
Latitude 30.9N
Longitude 128.7E
Depth about 10 km
Magnitude 7.0

Occurred at 06:17 JST 14 Nov 2015
Region name SATSUMA-HANTO SEIHO-OKI
Latitude 30.9N
Longitude 128.6E
Depth about 10 km
Magnitude 5.1

※ Listed above are source parameters of all the earthquakes that caused the tsunami.

http://www.jma.go.jp/en/tsunami/

studyguy

Well I suppose it's good it's not as strong as the Tōhoku quake...
Not sure what the levels of magnitude would mean in layman's terms though. A 7 vs what was nearly a 9 back then in 2011.

Joni

Guys, the tsunami warning has been cancelled.

Tsunami warnings and a massacre in the same day?

It's the end of the world as we know it.
It is not the same day. It is tomorrow already in Japan.
It is also not uncommon. The country got hit with 7 7.0 shocks since the major 9.0 2011 earthquake.
I wouldn't call the end of the world yet based on this.

Well I suppose it's good it's not as strong as the Tōhoku quake...
Not sure what the levels of magnitude would mean in layman's terms though. A 7 vs what was nearly a 9 back then in 2011.
It is a logarithmic scale. The difference between a 7 and a 9 is factor 1000. You get a 7 on average each month in the world. A 7 in a third-world country could be disastrous, one in Japan should be less than 10 deaths.

Edit: also first time I'm glad I killed a topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom