• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Turkey: How do YOU prepare/cook it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Deep fry? BBQ? Brine? Stuffing?

I'm going to try a brine for the first time this year. Alton Brown's recipe:

Ingredients
1 (14 to 16 pound) frozen young turkey
For the brine:
1 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 gallon vegetable stock
1 tablespoon black peppercorns
1 1/2 teaspoons allspice berries
1 1/2 teaspoons chopped candied ginger
1 gallon heavily iced water
For the aromatics:
1 red apple, sliced
1/2 onion, sliced
1 cinnamon stick
1 cup water
4 sprigs rosemary
6 leaves sage
Canola oil
Directions
Click here to see how it's done.
2 to 3 days before roasting:
Begin thawing the turkey in the refrigerator or in a cooler kept at 38 degrees F.
Combine the vegetable stock, salt, brown sugar, peppercorns, allspice berries, and candied ginger in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Stir occasionally to dissolve solids and bring to a boil. Then remove the brine from the heat, cool to room temperature, and refrigerate.
Early on the day or the night before you'd like to eat:
Combine the brine, water and ice in the 5-gallon bucket. Place the thawed turkey (with innards removed) breast side down in brine. If necessary, weigh down the bird to ensure it is fully immersed, cover, and refrigerate or set in cool area for 8 to 16 hours, turning the bird once half way through brining.
Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F. Remove the bird from brine and rinse inside and out with cold water. Discard the brine.
Place the bird on roasting rack inside a half sheet pan and pat dry with paper towels.
Combine the apple, onion, cinnamon stick, and 1 cup of water in a microwave safe dish and microwave on high for 5 minutes. Add steeped aromatics to the turkey's cavity along with the rosemary and sage. Tuck the wings underneath the bird and coat the skin liberally with canola oil.
Roast the turkey on lowest level of the oven at 500 degrees F for 30 minutes. Insert a probe thermometer into thickest part of the breast and reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees F. Set the thermometer alarm (if available) to 161 degrees F. A 14 to 16 pound bird should require a total of 2 to 2 1/2 hours of roasting. Let the turkey rest, loosely covered with foil or a large mixing bowl for 15 minutes before carving.

I think I'll add an herb butter under the skin of the turkey.

Let us discuss this magnificent bird.

DJ_Lae

Turkey, salt, pepper, butter, roasted.

Then I make delicious gravy and drown the sucker.

I have done the 'high initial heat then low roast' thing a few times but it makes no discernible difference compared to just buying a fresh local turkey vs frozen utility one.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Slightly modified this recipe for the last 3 years and it has produced some of the most juicy turkey I've ever seen. Last year when I went to check the temp the turkey squirted juices for at least 5 seconds :p.

24 hour brine.

Well I gotta say that those plastic bags work well. Lock that moisture in there and create a self-basting chamber.

And stick with Constantinople.

With Syrian missiles.

igdZnPkPWXiaG.gif

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
1.You take 1 gun
2.Put gun to bird's head
3.Turkey

Wthermans

Banned
I've never cooked turkey. I prefer Honey Baked Ham. I really want to try Deep Fried Turkey though. Just don't want to set my house on fire.

Doesn't that cause the turkey to be more steamed than roasted? I've never done it but I'm picturing a soggy skin.

I don't remember the skin being soggy at all. I think there is enough evaporation after you take it out. But this technique prevents you from screwing it up by cooking it too much and this drying out parts of the turkey.

Ponn

Banned
Butter, spices, lots of cracked pepper and consistent basting. Try to get the skin crispy yet lots of juices for yummy turkey gravy.

Gannd

Banned
Butter, spices, lots of cracked pepper and consistent basting. Try to get the skin crispy yet lots of juices for yummy turkey gravy.

basting doesn't do anything but to let heat out of the oven.

I like the Alton Brown method.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Alton' s brine recipe is amazing. Last year we did two turkeys, each brined with his recipe, one roasted and one fried. The fried one was better but they were both excellent.

TheExodu5

Banned
Don't use canola oil. Too strong tasting. Go with peanut oil, IMO.

Actually, go with butter.

Go with your recipe, but cover the whole turkey in butter before you put it in the oven. Roast at a low temperature and finish off with high heat instead of the other way around. That'll give you golden brown skin without drying it out as much.

Ponn

Banned

My friends usually go out of town for Thanksgiving and my Aunt and her family to. I usually just get a small turkey and cook for my mom so I don't really want to go through the whole brining thing though it does look good. I wouldn't do a turkey at all but I usually live off the leftovers for a good couple weeks after. Sandwiches, hot turkey sandwiches, pot pies, turkey and noodles and my personal favorite turkey stuffing cheese phillies.

TheExodu5

Banned

Basting prevents the skin from drying out if you start off at high heat. That's why I'm suggesting roasting at low heat and finishing off at high heat...I haven't done it before but I'm pretty sure you would avoid the need to baste in that case. I've seen Heston Blumenthaal do it, so it must be right!

Petrie

Banned
In October when the correct Thanksgiving is.

Basting prevents the skin from drying out if you start off at high heat. That's why I'm suggesting roasting at low heat and finishing off at high heat...I haven't done it before but I'm pretty sure you would avoid the need to baste in that case. I've seen Heston Blumenthaal do it, so it must be right!

Hasn't it been shown at this point that basting is a tradition that doesn't actually do anything?

Omlagus

I've done Alton's brine for the last 2 years, but instead of roasting I do it on the BBQ rotisserie.

Comes out so amazingly juicy!

Mudkips

Banned
Don't use canola oil. Too strong tasting. Go with peanut oil, IMO.

Peanut oil makes the damned thing taste like a peanut.

Deep frying results in a terrible bird regardless of what you do, though. Oven roast it properly or don't bother.

Hasn't it been shown at this point that basting is a tradition that doesn't actually do anything?

Uh, no. At high temperatures, basting is essential to prevent the skin from drying out and cracking (and thus peeling away). Basting also promotes even moisture distribution and flavor. Lower temperatures don't need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom