• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
So it's not 4:30, but damn close:

NUuEWmMl.png

Shearie

Hey guys! I just finished Season 1 and I heard that season 2 isn't as good and I also saw that it's over 20 episodes long, is there anything in season 2 that I can skip or some kind of fan edit out there?

I wish I knew about this survival guide while binge watching original Twin Peaks. I made it up to episode 14 of season 2 and couldn't take it anymore so I skipped to the last 2 episodes. Even the second to last episode wasn't all that good but the last is superb.

Gastone

Just watched this. What a an absolute gem of an episode. When the theme kicked innas Coop along with Jane-y and Sonny Jim was driving from the hospital i fucking choked up. It was like one of the best payoffs ever. All around amazing episode. It also makes me appreciate the enitre season up until now way more

mjp2417

Banned
I wish I knew about this survival guide while binge watching original Twin Peaks. I made it up to episode 14 of season 2 and couldn't take it anymore so I skipped to the last 2 episodes. Even the second to last episode wasn't very good but the last is superb.

Apparently the Miss Twin Peaks episode and the Lynch finale originally aired back to back as a two-parter which is so weird to think about now

Chitown B

1. Not sure if Linda's name has been used that often, but that's the main reference point everyone remembers.

2. Look at the scene right before Diane dies. It shows the message again. It doesn't match. (You see it exactly when she mentions the gas station aka The convenience store.)

3. The two girl's at the roadhouse mention a guy name Billy that was acting crazy and bleeding through his nose and his mouth

1. Just rewatched the season. Didn't notice it.

2. It does match. It only shows his side of the screen. Says : - ) ALL

3. They're in Audrey's nightmare. Could be anything. Also he's not bleeding. It's like tobacco colored liquid. He also can barely move.

Flipyap

Hell of an episode. I'm pretty disappointed with how Coop being "out of sand" was pretty much swept aside, though. Seems like that scene from one of the early episodes of him tearing up while looking at Sonny Jim is the closest we'll get to Cooper confronting everything he's lost.

I know Cooper is supposed to be the indomitable boy scout, but it would have been neat if he lived a day in Dougie's life while sound of mind. I wanted to see a part of him cry out to stay in that dream, to really drive home what he had lost and what he was once again giving up.
It's especially jarring because the Cooper we saw before he zapped himself out of the socket didn't seem like his old self. The tone of his short meeting with Fireman ??????? also doesn't really fit this Cooper operating at 100%.
I thought the way he was portrayed in those otherworldly scenes efficiently captured how 25 lost years could change a man, but apparently it had nothing to do with his (lack of) character development since the season 2 finale.

What are you nagging about?
Everyone loved this and thinks it's the best episode maybe of all Twin Peaks. But all you do is complain :S
Hey, hey, hey. Get off my back, will ya?
There are so many other posts you can read instead if all you want to see is unconditional praise. I'd rather think about what I'm watching and enjoy the show while being aware of its shortcomings. Discussing those could also be fun, but apparently that's out of the question.

TuXx

1. Just rewatched the season. Didn't notice it.

2. It does match. It only shows his side of the screen. Says : - ) ALL

3. They're in Audrey's nightmare. Could be anything. Also he's not bleeding. It's like tobacco colored liquid. He also can barely move.

Everything else aside, that text has some significance.The first time Diane saw the text it was

16:31 :).

second time.

15:50 :)

And when she saw the text again the second time, that's when she started going crazy.

might be an editing error but it's there

mjp2417

Banned
I would not call Twin Peaks anti-realism at all. The situations are bizarre, and the characters can be too, but they are all pretty meaty, realized characters, and the way it handled Laura's abuse and the effect her death had on the town were both very real.

Just as so much of the show is concerned with duality, Twin Peaks has always been a show about contrasting surrealism and mysticism with psychological realism.

I mean sure, characters like Laura, Donna, Shelley, Norma, and even James have tended towards psychological realism. Special Agent Dale Cooper is not one of those characters. He has always been an idiosyncratic archetype rather than a realistic representation of an FBI agent. This is the guy we are talking about:

latest

He's not a realistic character. He's Dale Cooper.

Chitown B

Everything else aside, that text has some significance.The first time Diane saw the text it was

16:32 :).

second time.

15:50 :)

might be an editing error but it's there

Actually says : - ) ALL.

And then : - ) ALL

I guess we'll find out next week if all these weirdly specific text errors actually mean anything.

WriterGK

It's especially jarring because the Cooper we saw before he zapped himself out of the socket didn't seem like his old self. The tone of his short meeting with Fireman ??????? also doesn't really fit this Cooper operating at 100%.
I thought the way he was portrayed in those otherworldly scenes efficiently captured how 25 lost years could change a man, but apparently it had nothing to do with his (lack of) character development since the season 2 finale.

Hey, hey, hey. Get off my back, will ya?
There are so many other posts you can read instead if all you want to see is unconditional praise. I'd rather think about what I'm watching and enjoy the show while being aware of its shortcomings. Discussing those could also be fun, but apparently that's out of the question.

No I won't. You made 4-6 posts and Zero of them with any positive stuff about this episode. You only made comments about things you didn't like.
I just can't understand how you like NOTHING about this episode, because all you did is point out what you hated.

Slaythe

Actually says : - ) ALL.

And then : - ) ALL

I guess we'll find out next week if all these weirdly specific text errors actually mean anything.

I'm pretty sure they added the "not delivered" thing in the editing to connect the night time scene and day time scene together.

I enjoy the super passive agressive ": - )" though, gonna have to use that.

I'm pretty sure they added the "not delivered" thing in the editing to connect the night time scene and day time scene together.

I enjoy the super passive agressive ": - )" though, gonna have to use that.

It's particularly poignant given the attention Diane gave to Mr. C's smile in her story.

We know Linda is in a wheelchair and at the Fat Trout. Could she be Audrey? There's got to be a good reason we haven't seen her yet. Just a thought. What was the name of her carer? The guy who just got charged with murder IRL?

Is Audrey 'the dreamer?'

What an amazing episode.

RIP Dougie Jones, we miss you.

I need the finale and the inevitable tears from knowing it's all over.

So much great stuff that it's easy to overlook Vedder's performance, which was fantastic.

Nelo Ice

Banned
How fucking awesome is Bushnell.

"I need to borrow the gun you have holstered under your arm."

"Sure thing, Dougie."
I love how no one questioned "Dougie" suddenly becoming lucid lol. Bushnell not even shocked Coop knew he had a gun and the Mitchums not caring he's FBI.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I love how no one questioned "Dougie" suddenly becoming lucid lol. Bushnell not even shocked Coop knew he had a gun and the Mitchums not caring he's FBI.
He has earned their trust completely at this point, and they know he's always been a bit eccentric. Still pretty funny though.

Vectorman

Banned
I mean Lynch had to wrap this nuttiness somehow. Continuing to put this plot and location movement into overdrive. Honestly so nice to see Cooper again. They managed to wrap up some stories a bit too conveniently with a bunch of character deaths and plotlines just ending but I'm curious to see how rushed this 2 hour finale. Will not talk about my complaints until the true end next week.

Just two thoughts I wanted to share:

Firstly, this theory seems more and mote like it might be close to the truth.

Secondly, I interpreted ":) ALL" to mean "kill them all", which is why she immediately tensed up, looked at her gun and slowly walked over. Thankfully all of their spidery senses were tuned in to the mood and so they were able to come out unscathed. I'm guessing Diane was switched out for "Diane" after Mr. C raped her and took her to the room above the convenience store. It's interesting that she seems to be the same thing as Dougie, and neither of them appear to be inherently evil like Mr. C.

I guess another thought I had was that the way Laura got sucked up into the ceiling in like episode 1 or 2 was almost identical to how Diane went to the Lodge (did that happen to Doguie too?). Could this mean that she got taken out of the Lodge then? She said "I am dead, yet I live", right? Wonder if she'll show up in the town somehow.

One other thing, if Richard just unceremoniously died like that, that's fine by me, lol. Good riddance, I found the way Mr. C just nonchalantly confirmed the theories pretty funny too.

Kadayi

Banned
All the Cooper scenes in this part were so comically rushed, it made him look as if he came straight out of a Twin Peaks parody. The man lost 25 years and he's acting as if nothing happened. Kinda makes Dougie look like a fully-formed, well-adjusted human being by comparison.

WTF are you on about? have you even been watching this show? Or did you just tune into this episode? Cooper's been Dougie all this time. All of what you're asking for is in the earlier episodes in the innumerable Dougie scenes. Christ.....

Secondly, I interpreted ":) ALL" to mean "kill them all", which is why she immediately tensed up, looked at her gun and slowly walked over. Thankfully all of their spidery senses were tuned in to the mood and so they were able to come out unscathed. I'm guessing Diane was switched out for "Diane" after Mr. C raped her and took her to the room above the convenience store. It's interesting that she seems to be the same thing as Dougie, and neither of them appear to be inherently evil like Mr. C.

Yeah, I read it as an execution order. I was worried Albert was going to bite it, as I suspect the actor was well aware of his condition at the time of filming, so I was relieved he didn't go out that way.

As for the episode. Good stuff. Need to rewatch it again. However loved the bluff with the Audrey scene.

Dalek

I have to say I've kind of dreaded seeing the eventual return of Coop because I didn't want Dougie's family to be suddenly abandoned of their father. But it was such a great touch for Jane-E to acknowledge that she was grateful to Coop "Whoever you are".

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'm both extremely pumped for the season finale next week, and dreading it since that may be the last Twin Peaks ever, maybe even the last thing Lynch ever directs dependingly (I think he could get more work if he wanted, but he's not getting any younger).

A reminder to all it'll be two hours next week as both Parts 17 & 18 are airing together for the season/series finale, and it was confirmed for UK peeps it starts airing at 1 AM in that time zone for those in the UK.

I think Cooper knows he's operating on a tight timeframe so he doesn't really have time to be dilly dallying. He's regained his full composure and has 25 years worth of business to attend to. It's pretty clear that both the Fireman and Mike have briefed Coop on what he needs to do once he's fully recovered.

Holy shit I am shaking after watching that episode. The cooper return, the Diane stuff, the Audrey situation!! Fucking incredible.

I don't doubt that frost/lynch have even more awesome and crazy shit for the finale.

Divius

Not a fan of the season so far, but this was a great episode. A lot happening, some major stuff and moving at a brisk pace. Really excited for the final.

liquidtmd

Banned
I love how no one questioned "Dougie" suddenly becoming lucid lol.

I loved Sonny-Jims very, very on the nose delivery of 'Dad SURE IS TALKING A LOT' coming out of the hospital.

So on the nose, but a lot of elements of the episode were and it was joyous because of it.

TuXx

I think Cooper knows he's operating on a tight timeframe so he doesn't really have time to be dilly dallying. He's regained his full composure and has 25 years worth of business to attend to. It's pretty clear that both the Fireman and Mike have briefed Coop on what he needs to do once he's fully recovered.

That and there were shades of him still being subconsciously there while he was Dougie.

Plus, season 1 and 2 established that he's into the whole Tibetan Buddhism thing, so that's where he might have gotten his knowledge on Tulpas as soon as he awoke.

anaron

The second the said "Audrey's Dance" holy shit immediately confirming she's in a dream and then giving us the whole music sequence following. God I love it.

Flipyap

No I won't. You made 4-6 posts and Zero of them with any positive stuff about this episode. You only made comments about things you didn't like.
I just can't understand how you like NOTHING about this episode, because all you did is point out what you hated.
Well, you probably should because you're on my ignore list now.
While you're learning to not bother me anymore (seriously, it's unhealthy), you might want to try learning how to read because I never said that I hated it. I simply chose to post about things I thought would be more interesting to talk about than repeating the same things that have already been said many times. I don't even know why you're monitoring what I post about, but hey, it's your weird obsession.

WTF are you on about? have you even been watching this show? Or did you just tune into this episode? Cooper's been Dougie all this time. All of what you're asking for is in the earlier episodes in the innumerable Dougie scenes. Christ.....
Really? Following a brain-fried Cooper who doesn't even understand how peeing works isn't a substitute for getting to see how a fully cognizant Cooper would experience such loss. Dougie hasn't experienced any of that, he was essentially a brand new person.

oon

Banned
I don't think it's odd Coop's back 100%. Agent Cooper has always been a man of purpose, in tandem with a deep love of life while finding beauty in the world and people around him. What happened to him is doubtlessly tragic, but he has a singular mission that he has psychologically conditioned himself for over the last 25 years. He has always put the well-being of others before himself, and this time is no different.

His time as Dougie was time spent rediscovering the world - it might have been far more of a shock to his system if he was fully cognizant as soon as he emerged out of the lodge. Instead, he could be gradually reminded of the goodness in this world without having to worry about the monumental task ahead.

Besides, we don't really know the nature of his time spent in the Lodge. He clearly has a good thing going on with Mike, and knows details of how their whole system works (like asking for a seed). His experience might have been the spiritual equivalent of Jedi training for 25 years, and now he gets to run off and be a Jedi.

hamchan

Holy shit duck oh my god

This is incredible. This last third of this season has been great. Fuck I'm so excited for what's next.

Kadayi

Banned
Really? Following a brain-fried Cooper who doesn't even understand how peeing works isn't a substitute for getting to see how a fully cognizant Cooper would experience such loss. Dougie hasn't experienced any of that, he was essentially a brand new person.

Did he have trouble peeing in the latter episodes? No. That was like the first couple of episodes of him being Dougie when reality was first sprung upon him. it's pretty clear that as time has gone on he's become increasingly able to navigate the world and act on his own accord (hell last week he was turning on the TV), albeit he was still unable to effectively communicate. This half baked idea you have that he wasn't in any way cognizant of his surroundings simply doesn't hold up to any degree critical scrutiny.

g11

bNK8QeL.png

Mr. C sending text

NAtT0ad.png

Diane checks lock screen for text

wxhrP4n.png

Text Diane received in the Messages app

There's nothing different about the messages this time. Diane needs to update her iOS though. I mean, iOS 9?! What a Tulpa, am I right?!

EDIT: Forgot one
TNddFic.png

A few seconds before Diane pulls a gun on the FBI. Time is different, period is missing. I'd imagine this is just a continuity error.

I don't agree with this. She was just realizing she sent him the correct coordinates, but was fighting it, like "oh shit why did I send him the right ones to the sheriff's station??????" - it's because she was being controlled by bad coop. She sent those after she realized he was still alive.

I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing. When she's telling her story to Gordon, Albert and Tammy, right before she pulls out the gun she says something like "I'm in the sheriff's station. I sent him those coordinates....because...I'm not me". I get what you're saying about Diane freaking out about having sent Mr. C the coordinates, but that doesn't explain the rest of what she's saying there.

I'm not a fan of this chart. I think people should go into season 2 without expectations of certain episodes being "bad". Watch them yourself and decide. I enjoyed it all.

Agreed. There's a lot of fluff, but there's tons of excellent moments peppered in there and, going into the finale, some of it essential.

Also you miss out on the most memeworthy scenes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom