• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitch Star Signs $100 Million Deal With Rival Platform

darrylgorn

Happy Excuse Me GIF

Twitch Star Signs $100 Million Deal With Rival Platform​

The deal signed by Félix Lengyel, known as xQc, matches traditional athletes’ contracts, and is another sign of Twitch’s tense relationship with its top streamers.

Edit: Since people are requesting the name of the platform in the OP, it's Kick. Also it's not an exclusive contract.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
xQc is a fucking moron but honestly so is Twitch. It is just an endless barrage of anti-creator nonsense trying to nickle and dime their own streamers, thought up by boomers with zero feeling with the streamers, community or videogames as a whole.

It's kinda insane how bad the platform is managed.

feynoob

xQc is a fucking moron but honestly so is Twitch. It is just an endless barrage of anti-creator nonsense trying to nickle and dime their own streamers, thought up by boomers with zero feeling with the streamers, community or videogames as a whole.

It's kinda insane how bad the platform is managed.
He is dumb if he turned down a $100m deal. That is enough money for retirement.

MiguelItUp

I have no idea why so many kids are into him, I feel like majority of the time I've dropped into his stream just to see what he's about he's reacting to YouTube videos, lol.

But hey, good job for him I guess, lol.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I have no idea why so many kids are into him, I feel like majority of the time I've dropped into his stream just to see what he's about he's reacting to YouTube videos, lol.

But hey, good job for him I guess, lol.

Uh. It's more than kids. From the brief looks at the fellas chat on the YouTube's it is a pretty healthy seeming mix of younger age groups. The hyper energetic "Let's go!" crowd (which stretches well into adulthood) that chats in memes is his group it seems like. And "kids" haven't been bankrolling this guy for years.

MiguelItUp

Uh. It's more than kids. From the brief looks at the fellas chat on the YouTube's it is a pretty healthy seeming mix of younger age groups. The hyper energetic "Let's go!" crowd (which stretches well into adulthood) that chats in memes is his group it seems like. And "kids" haven't been bankrolling this guy for years.
I'm sure, I wasn't being serious about it. I also wasn't even referring to YT's crowd. I'm sure it's not just kids, but gazing at Twitch's chat definitely feels like it's a bunch of kids. I just don't understand the desire for these kind of personalities, but that's just me.

Sojiro

Definitely can't hate on him taking that kind of deal. I am not an xQC lover by a long shot, but good for him, that is a sweet deal. Hoping Kick can stay around longer than mixer, Twitch has a stranglehold on live streaming so they could really use the competition. I wish YouTube would make a better interface and they could be another solid option too.

Last edited:

Pelta88

We've seen this before. Microsoft spent 100s of millions trying to poach talent. Ultimately, it's a strategy that failed.

Paltheos

of all people... he is so hard to watch. and just an all-around asshole.

but hey... not my money.

We're not his demographic. Last I checked his demo skewed in the teens-early 20s range.

I agree that I don't see his appeal though. From watching him for a bit, I think his strengths are that 1) He's not fake; 2) He's generally good at games; 3) He's attractive; 4) He's confident, energetic, & expressive 5) He had a built-in audience from his time as a professional gamer (as opposed to a professional streamer; the timeline I'm using as a basis for this might be wrong though). Which altogether are not insignificant. But even putting all that together and considering some of the crazy shit that can get popular on twitch, I'm still surprised at how big he is factoring in the flip side of his streams: He himself is a toxic, irresponsible dumbass and his chat is one of the worst I've seen on the platform, chaotic to the point where I wonder why anyone would bother because of how all over the place it is.

Fbh

Don't know who he is but he looks like one of those 30 years old actors playing high school kids in american TV shows lol.

Congrats to him I guess. Even if the platform crashes and burns (which it most likely will) $100 mill is enough to never have to work or worry about money again.

MiguelItUp

We're not his demographic. Last I checked his demo skewed in the teens-early 20s range.

I agree that I don't see his appeal though. From watching him for a bit, I think his strengths are that 1) He's not fake; 2) He's generally good at games; 3) He's attractive; 4) He's confident, energetic, & expressive 5) He had a built-in audience from his time as a professional gamer (as opposed to a professional streamer; the timeline I'm using as a basis for this might be wrong though). Which altogether are not insignificant. But even putting all that together and considering some of the crazy shit that can get popular on twitch, I'm still surprised at how big he is factoring in the flip side of his streams: He himself is a toxic, irresponsible dumbass and his chat is one of the worst I've seen on the platform, chaotic to the point where I wonder why anyone would bother because of how all over the place it is.
That's exactly what I was getting at. Peeping into his (and other top Twitch streamers) chat is like gazing into an absolute cesspool. I know I'm outside of that demographic for sure, especially when the "humor" and other things are completely missing me, lol.

Jinzo Prime

I said this in another thread, that Twitch's ToS changes might have an effect and get people to actually leave the platform. MoistCritical has outright said that he is waiting for his contract to end and won't be signing back on. It will also force Ninja to leave for good, because you can't stream cross-platform anymore.

Twitch is not Youtube, they don't have a monopoly on streaming content.

We've seen this before. Microsoft spent 100s of millions trying to poach talent. Ultimately, it's a strategy that failed.
Like others have said in the 'Twitch has seen 2 years of decline in a row' thread, times are slowly changing and Twitch's financial and website divisions are doing everything they can to aggravate the average twitch viewer into not bothering to visit as much anymore. Twitch moderation and administration are doing everything they can to aggravate streamers. Also big orgs like OTV and big streamers like DrDisrespect and Ludwig moving to youtube is a hit to twitch as well. There have been multiple twitch partners who have even claimed that they make more money by simply uploading vods, clips, and reactions to youtube. Also there's a rumor that twitch prime may no longer remove ads in the future for prime users(including streamers not getting paid from prime anymore), so everyone will be receiving the same amount of ads regardless.

Twitch won't be toppled overnight, but it is slowly killing itself. This is going to be a case of constant chip damage over time from other streaming websites(like Kick, Youtube, and Rumble) and Twitch itself, until Twitch itself decides to improve the user experience in multiple ways.

old-parts

Kick has the advantage of independent financing, its not a megacorp which must be super politically correct and is run by streamers pissed off at Twitch.

MS and others all failed because they could never be like Twitch was back in its early days and were run by corporate execs who didn't understand the culture. The people running Twitch have always behaved that there culture is unique and will never leave like some sort of console tribal mentality but Kick is basically Twitch by another name.

Will that make Kick be number one, probably no but it has a pretty good chance at taking market share.

Top Bottom