• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitch has seen 2 years of decline in a row

Draugoth

Gold Member
Twitch-Streamer-Viviana-GTA-RP-Ban.jpg

Twitch declined by almost 10% in the past year and about 7% the year before, marking two years of decline.

The drop also lines up with a decline in hours streamed, which was 9.8% down – as was the average number of channels streaming.

There are a number of factors that could influence this. One is out Twitch’s control – the popularity of new game releases, and the seemingly decreasing interest in esports titles like League of Legends, Dota2 and CS:GO.

But the elephant in the room is streamers leaving Twitch to stream on YouTube, Facebook Gaming, or Kick. YouTube has signed a number of Twitch’s biggest stars to exclusive deals, and the new kid on the block, Kick, is offering 95% revenue splits.

Spyxos

Gold Member
No wonder. I used to use it from time to time, but they now put so much advertising there, that I now avoid it completely.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
The ads are out of control. The site has increasingly grown into a glorified, interactive advertisement for OnlyFans. Twitch leadership continually makes decisions that are not in the interest of consumers nor content creators. The latter of which frequently push back against ridiculous new terms and bias moderations. There have been numerous instances of Twitch staff harassing creators. Rumors of a disgusting practice where staff would allow sex content or reduce bans for it in exchange for "favors" of varying degrees. Expect YouTube to absolutely eat Twitch's lunch in a few years. If not, a new platform.

Barakov

Gold Member
Twitch-Streamer-Viviana-GTA-RP-Ban.jpg

The drop also lines up with a decline in hours streamed, which was 9.8% down – as was the average number of channels streaming.

There are a number of factors that could influence this. One is out Twitch’s control – the popularity of new game releases, and the seemingly decreasing interest in esports titles like League of Legends, Dota2 and CS:GO.

But the elephant in the room is streamers leaving Twitch to stream on YouTube, Facebook Gaming, or Kick. YouTube has signed a number of Twitch’s biggest stars to exclusive deals, and the new kid on the block, Kick, is offering 95% revenue splits.
That's not surprising. Recent decisions, the antics of moderators and the higher ups etc, the OBNOXIOUS ads every 4 seconds is enough to drive viewers and streamers to other platforms.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Might not be as dire as it sounds because it looks like Twitch is still at a high level when Covid hit and anything digital got boosted as people were at home. It's leveled off the past 3 years which is never great for growth stories, but a lot of companies trends were shaken up or down during covid. It's all normalizing the past year.

twitch-viewership-1024x552.jpg

MiguelItUp

For the "big" streamers it makes almost no sense to stay there when competitors are offering a better experience on different platforms. I really don't understand the thought process Twitch has. They didn't hide the fact that they used to be very verbal about what was best for the streamer and the viewer, but now they don't care about anything but the money they get, lmao. They just want more and more it seems, all while setting their platform on fire.

no shit. They keep trying to roll out awful polices, like the recent ad and branding guidelines that they had to backpedal immediately because of how stupid they are. Meanwhile, at the same time they continually make the viewing experience worse with their highly disruptive ads. Then there's their inconsistent enforcement of their own ToS while creating a safe space for eThots to promote their OFs.

If youtube were smart enough to get their shit together, they actually can compete with Twitch, as the youtube player is superior to Twitch's as you can pause and rewind streams. It's too bad the chat and streamer discovery on youtube is just awful.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Never knew or tracked the changes Twitch is doing to streamers. Only time I watch Twitch is when MS or Sony or VGA does a show and the YT feed is crap.

Rac3r

Twitch has been a joke ever since the hot tub meta. Management was going against their own ToS, pumping sexually suggestive channels to minors and essentially allowing streamers to promote their onlyfans, pr0n, etc. through various loopholes. Then you have the gambling problems, aggressive in-stream advertisements, and constant revenue controversies...

Very predatory company.

Last edited:

[Sigma]

I don't like viewing on Twitch because it doesn't stream well on my connection. So i'll rather watch a stream on youtube. But yeah, they're taking bad routes pushing people away and that's their real problem.

Last edited:

Kacho

I'm sure it's not going anywhere. I'm YouTube 4 lyfe brother. Background play, no ads, better interface.

Jinzo Prime

Might not be as dire as it sounds because it looks like Twitch is still at a high level when Covid hit and anything digital got boosted as people were at home. It's leveled off the past 3 years which is never great for growth stories, but a lot of companies trends were shaken up or down during covid. It's all normalizing the past year.

twitch-viewership-1024x552.jpg

People get very invested in the platform, but if these streamers start leaving in droves, it might acually have an impact. I'm not convinced that Twitch is as monolithic as Youtube is because Twitch relies on personalities more so than YT. Ninja briefly leaving did not have an impact, but what about a lot of "stars" leaving at once.

Not only that, Twitch's new ToS might antagonize some of the big game tournament organizers enough to leave. It's a wait and see moment.

The ads are out of control. The site has increasingly grown into a glorified, interactive advertisement for OnlyFans. Twitch leadership continually makes decisions that are not in the interest of consumers nor content creators. The latter of which frequently push back against ridiculous new terms and bias moderations. There have been numerous instances of Twitch staff harassing creators. Rumors of a disgusting practice where staff would allow sex content or reduce bans for it in exchange for "favors" of varying degrees. Expect YouTube to absolutely eat Twitch's lunch in a few years. If not, a new platform.
Wait that platform give onlyhoes(fans) ads. Wtf.. I don't go on there, only place I seen streaming was on the live at playstation app(which weirdly isn't on ps5) so had no clue about anyof this. I watch YouTube and rumble and mostly non live content.

Also it's so odd seeing same companies ans wokies promoting sluts and hoes but at the same time promoting feminism and no grid girls, no sexy video game characters etc..

ShadowLag

A product of the Deer-Person segment of their workforce and the stronger than ever Diversity / Equity / Inclusion Stasi department, no doubt. As an occasional Twitch streamer myself from 2011 to today, the site is fucking pain to even load in my browser nowadays.

Last edited:

Eotheod

Good, it is a shit platform that has garbage UI and some of the worst streamers ever. Though I actually wonder if it is also people being less interested in watching dickheads do stuff, and those that do are congregating around larger profiles only.

LQX

Many of the popular streamers got fifthly rich and hardly stream, but alternatively there are few big streamers that stream too much and stifle the numbers of smaller or up-and-coming streamers.

Too many obtrusive ads drives viewers away.

This. And the Twitch adblockers don't work anymore either. Adblockers in general don't work on the site; if you have them on you just keep getting an Error Code 2000 (at least in Chrome; Edge seemed to avoid that problem last I checked).

That could have more to do with Google implementing their MV3 framework though, which IIRC is partly made to screw over 3P extensions.

A mixture of going super woke, promoting boobie streamers and their terrible business decisions forcing creators to leave for greener pastures.

I mean who didn't see it coming.

Like Twitter these companies need to pull a musk and fire the absolute chops in charge of everything.
Say it again for the guys in the back.

Varteras

Gold Member
Wait that platform give onlyhoes(fans) ads. Wtf.. I don't go on there, only place I seen streaming was on the live at playstation app(which weirdly isn't on ps5) so had no clue about anyof this. I watch YouTube and rumble and mostly non live content.

Also it's so odd seeing same companies ans wokies promoting sluts and hoes but at the same time promoting feminism and no grid girls, no sexy video game characters etc..

Not literal ads. Rather, scantily clad women, frequently doing semi-erotic things, who encourage you to check out their social media links. Which pretty much always includes OnlyFans or another site where they can go beyond what Twitch, currently, allows for money. Off the hip statistic... I'd say over 90% of them use Twitch as a type of gateway to their even more revealing, thus expensive, social media sites. Watching a girl's ASMR stream while she shows cleavage? Bet you anything she has a site link on her profile to go see her butthole for $50 a month.

Sophist

If you are not partnered, twitch only gives you 6000 kbps bitrate and VODs are available for 7 days. On Youtube, it's 55 000 kbps and VODs are available forever. Youtube also has private and unlisted streams.
The big problem is discovery; they should do a dedicated website for streaming like they did for Youtube tv, kids, music, ... there is https://www.youtube.com/gaming/live but it's the bare minimum.

Obviously not gonna happen, but this kind of streaming can die altogether for all I care. I know there's exceptions, but let's be real, the entire concept profits off a few low talent jokers exploiting lonely nerds. Easily the worst content out there, even if I'm guilty of having it on as background noise myself.

If you are not partnered, twitch only gives you 6000 kbps bitrate and VODs are available for 7 days. On Youtube, it's 55 000 kbps and VODs are available forever. Youtube also has private and unlisted streams.
The big problem is discovery; they should do a dedicated website for streaming like they did for Youtube tv, kids, music, ... there is https://www.youtube.com/gaming/live but it's the bare minimum.
They had a 'youtube gaming' app years ago when mixer was still around. It was crushed by twitch just like mixer, but they at least kept the features.

We will see if Twitch manages to survive round 2 of competition.

Top Bottom