• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitter has lost 90% of its value and could be worth just $4 billion, according to Elon Musk

Draugoth

Gold Member
images

A tweet from Elon Musk, in response to a follower, suggests that X/Twitter has suffered a drop in market value of approximately US$40 billion (equivalent to R$199 billion) since it was acquired at the end of last October.

"According to Elon Musk’s own math, the company formerly known as Twitter has lost 90% of its value and could be worth just $4 billion"
"In effect, he's saying that the $31 billion he and his partners invested in equity is totally gone, and a big portion of the debt from provided by the cream of Wall Street sits far underwater"

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Buying twitter is one thing.

Buying it at $50/share is another. The company has lost money almost every year it's been around. At some point the corporate coffers will be zero. He should had done more due diligence buying it.

Somehow the stock had always trended around $30-40 no matter how bad their financials were. Hindsight is 20/20, the company is probably worth more like $10/share. Just because a company has a billion users or whatever the stat is doesn't mean it's a good buy.

Last edited:

DrFigs

I will give Elon credit for one thing. I was skeptical when he fired like half of Twitter's employees. But actually that was probably the smartest thing he did because the site runs perfectly fine with a fraction of the workers.

edit: Actually it was even crazier. I'm seeing he layed off 80% of staff.

Last edited:

NickFire

I think a more accurate title would be "according to someone interpreting one of his tweets."

Anyway and regardless, I would say that society as a whole benefitted from any reduction in value. The new version may completely suck depending on who you ask, but it is no longer in the hands of the prior regime. Good riddance to them.

natjjohn

I will give Elon credit for one thing. I was skeptical when he fired like half of Twitter's employees. But actually that was probably the smartest thing he did because the site runs perfectly fine with a fraction of the workers.

There’s been multiple site issues since then.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I'm not a twitter user but I've not noticed ANY change in content. Reporters still use it, there are plenty of hot takes, lots of news is still broken via tweet. Functionally, what's different? Has news migrated elsewhere? Or just a general reduction in static?

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Oh wow. Who could possibly have seen this coming.

I wonder what caused it.....🤔

I'm not a twitter user but I've not noticed ANY change in content. Reporters still use it, there are plenty of hot takes, lots of news is still broken via tweet. Functionally, what's different? Has news migrated elsewhere? Or just a general reduction in static?
- Bots are far worse
- Ads are worse
- Functionality is worse
- Some key features are locked behind Twitter Blue or soon will be
- The algorithm is all fucked up so you never see or find what you want half the time.
- The algorithm favoring Twitter Blue users means you get loads of spam and crypto BS in unrelated topics.

Basically Twitter is in a worse functional state than it's ever been and when combined with the mass exodus of advertisers due to Musks handling of it all has absolutely tanked twitters value.

Last edited:

Denton

- Bots are far worse
- Ads are worse
- Functionality is worse
- The algorithm is all fucked up so you never see or find what you want half the time.
- The algorithm favoring Twitter Blue users means you get loads of spam and crypto BS in unrelated topics.
Maybe there is some "objective" research that proves these points, but in my personal experience of using twitter for a decade, none of these are true

Nobody_Important

Maybe there is some "objective" research that proves these points, but in my personal experience of using twitter for a decade, none of these are true
Features being locked behind Blue or soon will be is an objective fact. So is the issues with the algorithm because it prioritizes Blue users.

As for the rest considers yourself lucky then because they are daily occurrences for me. Especially the crypto bots and random spam. I've blocked dozens and dozens of accounts and I still come across Twitter bots pushing illegal streaming sites everytime there is a big UFC fight or Boxing match when all I'm trying to do is look for highlights. Same goes for last night with the Chiefs game. I came across idk how many bots pushing streaming sites or hijacking the "Chiefs" trend to push various businesses or currencies.

Last edited:

Hudo

Based Elon destroying the trash heap of humanity known as Twitter/X. TikTok should die next.

Cyberpunkd

Also a fraction of the userbase. Win win!
Once again - nothing of value was lost. The very idea to limit thoughts to 280 characters is an insult to intelligence and education.

In the ideal world all the people browsing Twitter could spend their time more productively, but they will probably all flock to TikTok or some other rubbish.

Last edited:

Hudo

I'm convinced at this point Elon can do the most stupidest thing possible and people would call him "based".
To be fair though, destroying Twitter/X is a good thing. So in this specific case, he really is "based". Even if he not intended to do it.

Nobody_Important

I'm convinced at this point Elon can do the most stupidest thing possible and people would call him "based".
A very specific kind of person will latch on to anything if they believe that thing to be antithetical to what they have been brainwashed into being their "enemies" even if that thing or person is out of their fucking mind or just plain stupid.

Its all about "wins". Not reason.

GymWolf

Can't do it sorry.

Those are run by somewhat functional adults.
Was twitter run by hamsters?

I think the real reason would be that china is never gonna give up on collecting datas for all the money in the world, and the alien android has as much money as elon so it doesn't care about any possible offer.

All tech overhired during covid. Many of those people would have been fired even if Musk didn't buy the platform.

Yamisan

Oh wow. Who could possibly have seen this coming.

I wonder what caused it.....🤔

- Bots are far worse
- Ads are worse
- Functionality is worse

Basically Twitter is in a worse functional state than it's ever been and when combined with the mass exodus of advertisers due to Musks handling of it all has absolutely tanked twitters value.
Haven't had any of those issues....

Nobody_Important

Haven't had any of those issues....
Here is a few examples of what I see when I go to the Colorado trend right now.

Copy paste nonsense from dozens of bot accounts all posted roughly at the same time. I'm not just making this shit up.

Last edited:
Keep doing ketamine and blaming the Jews for your own retarded mistakes Elon! Lots of ketamine!
The ADL isn't "the Jews," but their government involvement makes a mess of things when it comes to them trying to censor legally protected speech as a "nongovernmental" group.

Top Bottom