• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitter has lost 90% of its value and could be worth just $4 billion, according to Elon Musk

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
The ADL isn't "the Jews," but their government involvement makes a mess of things when it comes to them trying to censor legally protected speech as a "nongovernmental" group.

200w.gif

Oberstein

People who think Twitter is going out of business are deluding themselves. The alternatives aren't working, and Bluesky (who nobody knows) isn't going to change that.
Musk has clearly made mistakes, partners have left, etc., but Twitter is going to stay one way or another.. Musk also plays the victim card in business, a tried and tested tactic.

Last edited:

-Minsc-

People who think Twitter is going out of business are deluding themselves. The alternatives aren't working, and Bluesky (who nobody knows) isn't going to change that.
Musk has clearly made mistakes, partners have left, etc., but Twitter is going to stay one way or another.. Musk also plays the victim card in business, a tried and tested tactic.
I suppose it all depends how the platform is used over the decades and how it indirectly makes money long term.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I’m ready for whatever Twitter has in store it always felt like an online playground.

winjer

Gold Member

That is probably true.
But X will never be worth the 44B they paid for.
They will be lucky if they manage to maintain a value of 4B.

gatti-man

Twitter as it was is already out of business. It’s a shadow of its former self. And that’s being gracious. Twitter was always kindof a mess but now it’s a hollowed out mess bereft of hope.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
And yet politicians, actors and even advertisers do their promotions/speeches via Twitter/X.
Meanwhile, Threads isn't doing any better.
Companies/Celebs/Creators also post/advertise on Instagram, TikTok, Youtube, Facebook, sides of buildings, and billboards on the highway. They get eyes where they can when they can in order to get the maximum amount of reach. What you said does not in any way disprove what they said about Twitter being in decline. In fact Elon himself has admitted that Advertising revenue in particular is WAY down and has openly questioned its value. So it is not nearly as thriving as you seem to want it to be. When you see a video or ad on Twitter you can bet your ass its been in at least a dozen other places as well. Celebs and companies posting stuff on Twitter does not prove anything.

If they were ONLY posting or advertising on Twitter then you would have a leg to stand on. But they aren't. Its just another place to get eyes on the product. Nothing more. It does not speak to the quality of the platform or its current state of affairs.

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned
It's all smoke and mirrors.

Elon bought the platform which spread the most negative news and rumours about his stock, him, and Tesla. He changed the algorithms to minimise the negativity and control a big social media platform.

The cost of doing this was $33B, and he doesnt give a fuck about losing it, because the long term savings of negative Tesla/Musk content is far more valuable. Wallstreet also knows this, as it will extend far further than just Tesla related content. The ability to pump new companies and crypto scams to billions of people is invaluable.

Wallstreet pays for exposure on news networks, interviews and social media shilling is rife. Elon buying Twitter is his way to fight back.

Last edited:

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
It's all smoke and mirrors.

Elon bought the platform which spread the most negative news and rumours about his stock, him, and Tesla. He changed the algorithms to minimise the negativity and control a big social media platform.

The cost of doing this was $33B, and he doesnt give a fuck about losing it, because the long term savings of negative Tesla/Musk content is far more valuable. Wallstreet also knows this, as it will extend far further than just Tesla related content. The ability to pump new companies and crypto scams to billions of people is invaluable.

Wallstreet pays for exposure on news networks, interviews and social media shilling is rife. Elon buying Twitter is his way to fight back.

The problem with this Societal Landscape is that too many push the narrative-line. I like to stand back and observe, before I form an opinion... most of the time. Sometimes I cannot help myself and have to react. I have been working on that.

Fools idol

Banned
The problem with this Societal Landscape is that too many push the narrative-line. I like to stand back and observe, before I form an opinion... most of the time. Sometimes I cannot help myself and have to react. I have been working on that.

What I find most concerning is that, deep fake content is getting scarily real, really fast. If the giang reach of social media is combined with a really convincing deep fake political hit video on the night of an election, it will sway votes like nothing we have seen before, and the votes will be counted before we are able to distinguish if the fake was real or not.

We are living in very dangerous times indeed. I am surprised something major hasn't happenned yet.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
What I find most concerning is that, deep fake content is getting scarily real, really fast. If the giang reach of social media is combined with a really convincing deep fake political hit video on the night of an election, it will sway votes like nothing we have seen before, and the votes will be counted before we are able to distinguish if the fake was real or not.

We are living in very dangerous times indeed. I am surprised something major hasn't happenned yet.

I am with you on that, my good man. I understand where you are coming from. We most certainly have entered the Age of Disinformation. Diligence is needed. I feel I also need to take a deep dive into image manipulation a bit more. I am familiar with Photoshop and GIMP. But, I think I need to retread this information for the modern times.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Companies/Celebs/Creators also post/advertise on Instagram, TikTok, Youtube, Facebook, sides of buildings, and billboards on the highway. They get eyes where they can when they can in order to get the maximum amount of reach. What you said does not in any way disprove what they said about Twitter being in decline. In fact Elon himself has admitted that Advertising revenue in particular is WAY down and has openly questioned its value. So it is not nearly as thriving as you seem to want it to be. When you see a video or ad on Twitter you can bet your ass its been in at least a dozen other places as well. Celebs and companies posting stuff on Twitter does not prove anything.

If they were ONLY posting or advertising on Twitter then you would have a leg to stand on. But they aren't. Its just another place to get eyes on the product. Nothing more. It does not speak to the quality of the platform or its current state of affairs.

Very true. I've never seen a PR campaign or publicity strategy that only used Twitter. And that's during the entire time it's been around.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
It should be. Rentahamster Rentahamster 's business prowess is second to none.
Full disclosure, a non-zero amount of my hamster workforce have been contracted by X, but I only ever guaranteed they were good at whoring and basically nothing else. They still took it.

One can easily mistake twitter for a festering anus from afar, still i doubt Rentahamster Rentahamster expertise would be of much use anyway :messenger_grinning_sweat:
This makes sense because I only trained them how to tame real anuses, not metaphorical ones.

gatti-man

And yet politicians, actors and even advertisers do their promotions/speeches via Twitter/X.
Meanwhile, Threads isn't doing any better.
The minute they don’t is when it literally ceases to exist. Advertiser and actor participation is a shadow of what it once was. Your comment boils down to it isn’t MySpace so it’s thriving. No.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Anyone reading Isaacson’s book? His one on Einstein was fantastic but I don’t think I care enough about Musk to go through with it.

Top Bottom