• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitter/X is working on removing the block feature

VN1X

Banned
For people who don't care about twitter but do love the drama this is excellent news.

mr burns GIF

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
So people won't be able to tweet and block replies from people who ain't followers

Fake

I mean, how can you block people you never interact or even reply to you? Don't make sense to me.

When I was on Twitter, I remember someone from IGN or Verge posted a report, but I was blocked without reason. I only noted because I tried to read the person tweet, end up logoff from twitter just to read a single the tweet. Imagine that, you can't read a tweet from someone tha blocked you, but you can read as an anonymous anw.
Never saw the person in quesrion, never reply in life, never quoted or even liked a post. The guy stalked me in the gaming foruns(resetera) and got my @ID from there. Is totally stupid. Does those people behave like an adults in the real world?
Do they walk into the street and block you from walking there or something?

I don't like this move, but I do understand why remove. This block feacture litelary created a group of snowflake individuals.
Block was suppouse to be used as moderation, but now people use like no tomorrow. Will end up blocking the entire world.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Blocking is important to stop annoying, crazy, and harassing people from junking up your replies and threads with nonsense. Some people are overly sensitive like those nutjobs who use block lists and find someone they hate and block all 50,000 of their followers with the click of a button. As much as I'd love to see the latter meltdown that they can no longer block 90% of the platform because they want to live in a bubble, it's not worth sacrificing the former.

A good solution is to still allow blocked/muted people to see your feed, but prevent them from replying. It still stops annoying/harassing people, and also sticks it to the douches with important accounts that disseminate information who get off on not allowing "wrongthinkers" to see their information anymore.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Maybe actually use the platform before replying. He’s talking about the ability for you to block someone from seeing your account.
You can't actually block someone from seeing your account, you can block them from seeing the contents of it and obviously replying to it and that is what I'm referring too, I worded it bad, so my bad
And I have used Tweeter for as long as you, I just not as influenced by it 😏

Mistake

I only used it to block bots or idiots who add me to lists, since blocking takes you off them. Blocking won't stop anyone from accessing your profile with nitter or a burner account

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Isn't this the equivalent of removing the "ignore" feature we have here on GAF? I don't see the point of removing it.

F302enBW0AEAZqd

The App store for iOS requires a block function, this might be similar to the google playstore.
I think that refers to the operator of the service having the ability to block users, not the users having the ability to block other users.

If he could stop the "block together" lists where people get blocked from even reading someone's tweets who have never interacted with that person in any way, that would be best. Users should still be able to block each other as individuals, IMO.

I think that refers to the operator of the service having the ability to block users, not the users having the ability to block other users.

If he could stop the "block together" lists where people get blocked from even reading someone's tweets who have never interacted with that person in any way, that would be best. Users should still be able to block each other as individuals, IMO.
Yes, it would be better for him to get rid of the "block lists" but keep blocking.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
100%. Not going to use any platform where you can’t block people. That’s absurd.

You can still mute people. But people you mute can still respond to your tweets. So if popular but controversial accounts can't block trolls and idiots anymore, responses to their tweets will be filled with crap.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
If important people and corporate brands use Twitter as a digital press conference, then all this really does is change what their reporter press corps looks like.

Before:
3000.jpg

After:
f66E07M.jpg

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
This will likely be another BS thing that he says he will do and it's never heard from again.

And even if he is stupid enough to do it it will make an already shit experience even worse. Being able to block is essential to social media. It weeds out the trolls and the bots from your timeline and makes the experience better. And Twitter is LITTERED with bots at the moment. It's been horrible. Removing the option makes it worse and makes less people want to use it. Which just further damages an already damaged brand.

He literally cannot stop trying make bad decisions.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
this is why the block feature needs to go a way lol.
That's an extreme fringe case. Most people just use it to block bots, particularly offensive accounts, or accounts that routinely pop up that they are not interested in.

The point of the block function is not to just ignore people. It's to help curate your experience and what you see so that your time spent on the site is more enjoyable. Which Musk should want because that is what Advertisers want. Removing the block button is a shit show waiting to happen.

You can still mute people. But people you mute can still respond to your tweets. So if popular but controversial accounts can't block trolls and idiots anymore, responses to their tweets will be filled with crap.
So in other words, YOU muting people will mean muted user's posts won't be seen by YOU, but they can be seen by everyone else? And currently blocking meant that not only did you not see responses on your posts to blocked users, but no one else would see responses on your feed if they came from users that you blocked? Is that right?

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
This could be funny, but I love blocking people :lollipop_pensive:
I don't block people I've actually engaged with, I'm not escaping arguments or something, I just like to block brands, people who spam hashtags or reaction gifs, or people who pay for checkmarks.
I'm very inactive there so it's probably not gonna affect me at all. Maybe we'll still be able to mute people. I wish YouTube had a mute feature, so I could mute certain words or phrases in video titles. "Top 10," "Ending Explained," "so you don't have to."

What I really want to do is mute people, but I guess blocking must be more prominent in the interface. I don't actually post anything on Twitter so I assume they seem more or less functionally the same for me.

I like this site's "ignore" feature... I wouldn't mind something to automatically "show ignored content"-- I just like to have that big blue banner warning me that the post is highly likely to be trash and to not pay too much attention to it.

Ironbunny

What I really want to do is mute people, but I guess blocking must be more prominent in the interface. I don't actually post anything on Twitter so I assume they seem more or less functionally the same for me.

I like this site's "ignore" feature... I wouldn't mind something to automatically "show ignored content"-- I just like to have that big blue banner warning me that the post is highly likely to be trash and to not pay too much attention to it.

Block means the person knows you blocked him. Silence means he still keeps spouting shit without knowing you have actually silenced him.

Last edited:
Block means the person knows you blocked him. Silence means he still keeps spouting shit without knowing you have actually silenced him.
Right but since I don't post, nobody follows me, nobody looks at my account, nobody is going to know I blocked them. And nobody is going to block me (aside from maybe this "block entire follow list" someone mentioned, but someone that deranged I'm probably not trying to look at their account or "content" either) So mute and block are more or less equivalent to me specifically.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
So in other words, YOU muting people will mean muted user's posts won't be seen by YOU, but they can be seen by everyone else? And currently blocking meant that not only did you not see responses on your posts to blocked users, but no one else would see responses on your feed if they came from users that you blocked? Is that right?

Yes. A blocked user can't see or respond to your tweets, but a muted user can but doesn't know his replies won't be seen by the original poster.

kruis

Removing the block function will get it removed from the App Store. Oops.
2gN8JGu.jpg

Nope. These rules apply to the social networking services themselves. "The ability to block abusive users from the service" means that the system powering a social media should have an option to permanently ban abusive users, not that the users themselves should be able to block other users from being able to see or reply their posts.

Top Bottom