• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitter/X is working on removing the block feature

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Out of curiosity, are these your own original thoughts, or did you hear them from somewhere else first?

If people still have the mute function, I don't think this will be the case. If what I'm reading is accurate:

Block: the blocked user can't see your posts, which means that they can never respond to anything you have to say, keeping you in an echo chamber AND preventing anyone else from reading a blocked user's reply to your posts. You essentially get to censor other people's speech by not allowing them to respond to what you had to say.

Mute: the muted user can still see your posts, but you won't see their replies, although everyone else still can. You get to shield yourself from the speech of users you don't wish to interact with, but you don't get to silence them.

If that's not accurate, I'd be interested to hear a better explanation of the difference between block and mute.

You should know me better than that by now about my opinions.

I KNOW a lot of women, especially those who are very attractive, get harassed by mostly men (though there are women who harass as well). And muting won't necessarily work with stalkers and harassers as they can STILL get their photos and info because they're still following on the platform, even if the woman put her profile on private. That wouldn't happen if the dude (or sometimes dudette) is blocked.

I have an actual friend, someone I met at work over a decade ago, who has to block people who harass her and at least 3 who actively stalked her (tho it goes further than X). She's not the only woman I know on X who has had to block harassers and tried to use past tweets against her or used her pics and photoshopped them and sent to her family (she doesn't do nudes or anything) ... She has had to get the police involved...

As MEN, we often don't see how it is for women or take into account how THEY feel about the same things WE might brush off ... Because it doesn't affect us the same way it does them.

That's why just muting doesn't help in those matters.

YCoCg

t's Twitter. This really shouldn't be affecting you so much
Clearly you don't use it cause for the past few months the amount of spam bots, scam accounts, etc, has increased by an insane amount, before this I never used the block function but for some "reason" things changed and the site became shit to browse because every second post would be an ad and most top replies would be "Blue ticks" pushing crypto scams and going for fake engagement. Blocking gets rid of them, Muting will mean they can still throw their shit up on peoples replies.

StueyDuck

Clearly you don't use it cause for the past few months the amount of spam bots, scam accounts, etc, has increased by an insane amount, before this I never used the block function but for some "reason" things changed and the site became shit to browse because every second post would be an ad and most top replies would be "Blue ticks" pushing crypto scams and going for fake engagement. Blocking gets rid of them, Muting will mean they can still throw their shit up on peoples replies.
I don't use it... social media is embarrassing. Get out while you still can, you'll have a healthier life

Sonik

This is going to increase harassment and bullying. Not that I care. I've never had an account.

You can still mute people, you just can't block them from commenting on what you said thus creating a circlejerk for you and people who agree with you. Let's face it, this has little to do with harassment and more to do with people that don't want to see their opinion challenged on the internet. There is possibly a tiny percentage of people that will actually be affected by this in a tangible way but I think the positives outweigh the negatives

Meicyn

Gold Member
I don't use it... social media is embarrassing. Get out while you still can, you'll have a healthier life
Actually, you do. This forum itself is a form of social media. You are participating in various topics and getting into internet arguments with complete strangers.

By the way, is this:
How is baby bitch boy schreier gonna survive
But anything that gets ol baby bitch Schreier crying is just sweet sweet sugar in our lives.
…what you consider having a healthier life? Dude lives rent free in your head, it’s really weird.

The Stig

You can still mute people, you just can't block them from commenting on what you said thus creating a circlejerk for you and people who agree with you. Let's face it, this has little to do with harassment and more to do with people that don't want to see their opinion challenged on the internet. There is possibly a tiny percentage of people that will actually be affected by this in a tangible way but I think the positives outweigh the negatives
ah ok, mute sounds useful.

YCoCg

You're on a forum, and again not all social media is woke therapy training, you know you can cater your shit so you only see what you want to see? I've never seen any woke agenda LGBT+++ party posts on my timeline as it's mainly game and music and developer stuff. I honestly think some of you have this warped idea that you're forced to follow at least 20 rainbow haired radical feminists when you join and every third post must be about a woke issue.

StueyDuck

Actually, you do. This forum itself is a form of social media. You are participating in various topics and getting into internet arguments with complete strangers.

By the way, is this:

…what you consider having a healthier life? Dude lives rent free in your head, it’s really weird.
I consider going outside and spending time with friends and family healthier than hovelling in a basement hoping for someone to please notice my internet opinion 🤣.

This isn't the cool gotcha you think it is 🤣 Jason Schreier is a loser and since I can't give him the fat slap he deserves in person I can have a good chuckle when something doesn't go his way, because I know this will ruin his life... and it's such a pathetic thing to be upset about as well, "oh no, that thing I actively choose to participate in won't cater to my every needs waaah"

StueyDuck

You're on a forum, and again not all social media is woke therapy training, you know you can cater your shit so you only see what you want to see? I've never seen any woke agenda LGBT+++ party posts on my timeline as it's mainly game and music and developer stuff. I honestly think some of you have this warped idea that you're forced to follow at least 20 rainbow haired radical feminists when you join and every third post must be about a woke issue.
A forum is a forum... its so weird people think this and social media are the same thing.

Unless there's some revenue stream I'm missing out on for doing hot tub streams or something

Also you are wrong about "it never happens" literal companies start that shit 🤣 you telling me you don't see xboxs inclusivity tweets all the time.

Again get rid of social media, it will help you mentally trust me. There's no one on there that's actually worth anytime myself and yourself included

Meicyn

Gold Member
Jason Schreier is a loser
since I can't give him the fat slap he deserves in person
I can have a good chuckle when something doesn't go his way
because I know this will ruin his life
I consider going outside and spending time with friends and family healthier than hovelling in a basement hoping for someone to please notice my internet opinion 🤣.
uh huh

StueyDuck

See now if I was a social media person I'd have to block you right 🤣.

Watch me continue to not use social media .... wait... wait for it... waaaaaiiit for iiiiit...

Yep the world is still turning, turns out not blocking people on Twitter is a sad sad thing to be riled up about

Last edited:

StueyDuck

No because I don't follow Xbox/PlayStation/Nintendo, I follow other websites that report on it better.
I mean who reports xbox/playstation/Nintendo News than themselves?

Your favorite news people are just following them and copy pasting it for you 🤷‍♂️ why use social media for that when that happens here/reddit and if you really want to hate yourself, resetera

YCoCg

why use social media for that when that happens here/reddit
Because sadly this place isn't as fast and broad as it used to be and a lot of stuff falls through the cracks, plus the gaming side here seems more interested in arguing with each other, and bruv, Reddit? You're dumping on social media and then suggest Reddit????

StueyDuck

Because sadly this place isn't as fast and broad as it used to be and a lot of stuff falls through the cracks, plus the gaming side here seems more interested in arguing with each other, and bruv, Reddit? You're dumping on social media and then suggest Reddit????
See I don't think you understand that I'm not addicted to a constant feed and the constant brain drain of "news and lights and colors".

So for me being 10 minutes late to a story on here isn't a big deal

And again I don't have some symbiotic relationship with social media, reddit, the news etc. Most the time it's when I'm taking a shit and need something to do that im browsing such things. So reddit for me is just a copy paste job, I'm not there to interact with anyone and there's 0 chance I'm gonna talk to the loonies on Twitter.

I'm not being facetious here, if you are genuinely that dependant on social media you really should try cut it down

Last edited:

StueyDuck

It really feels like you're trying to push something though, not gonna lie, you're trying to paint anyone who uses Twitter as an addict, meanwhile it seems like you stalk that Jason guy going off previous posts.
lol "jason guy" :messenger_tears_of_joy: (really?) is synonymous with blocking the instant you say anything he doesn't like, I don't even use twitter and i know that much about him.

I do know "Jason Guy" from his articles and his hot takes however and he's a weiner, it is ok to call someone else a bad name :messenger_winking: to infer i am stalking him is truly something else.

again though, i'm not a social media person, so maybe that's what you social media people do? stalk people?

look how rattled you are about this blocking thing. you have literally just called me a stalker cause i made an off hand joke about someone.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

See now I know you're trolling :messenger_squinting_tongue:
i am trolling, because this is such a nothing problem and look how worked up people are getting. Even an offhand joke about the king of blocking himself and you get painted a stalker.

I don't know if this is a Murica thing or an age thing but i just can't see an app on my phone with internet opinions and lunatics being the biggest issue in my life

Last edited:

Hudo

Does Elon make decisions based on how his shit looked that morning? I've never seen a CEO be so erratic in his decisions.

I love that she just straight up says it "The most important things is the ads, not the users!"

edit: Ahh Parody, but still feels close to what she meant.
It's funny, because I too noticed the checkmark and not the word parody. I really did think that came from her official account, and I really don't think parody accounts should be allowed to be verified for that exact reason.

pf0950F.png

They really live in a different universe.
1Z4l2FK.gif

Elon blocked James. I saw that today.
I'm curious but why does Elon Musk act this way? I heard some people say it's his autism (or spectrum or w/e) and from my personal experience with high functioning autistic people, they aren't the easiest to get along with. But damn, he's really earning the hatred of everyone, regardless of ideology or values.

It's sad he's so childish because he really does have incredible potential.

Moneal

I'm curious but why does Elon Musk act this way? I heard some people say it's his autism (or spectrum or w/e) and from my personal experience with high functioning autistic people, they aren't the easiest to get along with. But damn, he's really earning the hatred of everyone, regardless of ideology or values.

It's sad he's so childish because he really does have incredible potential.
He is a troll. He always has been.

Jsisto

What a colossal idiot. It’s pretty clear to me, as someone who is strongly against censorship, that users should still have some ability to curate their own experience and be able to block other accounts for numerous common sense reasons. It’s like he’s trying to destroy any reason for any rational person to defend him, little by little. Hard to think of any redeeming qualities that are left. He’s shown himself to be a complete tool. He has the emotional maturity of a kindergartener.

Last edited:
What a colossal idiot. It’s pretty clear to me, as someone who is strongly against censorship, that users should still have some ability to curate their own experience and be able to block other accounts for numerous common sense reasons. It’s like he’s trying to destroy any reason for any rational person to defend him, little by little. Hard to think of any redeeming qualities that are left. He’s shown himself to be a complete tool. He has the emotional maturity of a kindergartener.

He has a mental illness called narcissism. He has other things too but I don’t know what they are since it could be various things.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I think folks need to look deeper into why some on here are calling him out on like half of of his decisions concerning Twitter.

Sure, the site still works but many people have reported issues with it. Plenty of people have issues with the basic functions and the limitations he's imposed. The block feature is one they truly are fucking up. It's a dumb move.

Don't look at it through a political lens... Look at things from an end user perspective.

"Ha ha! Cry babies are crying because Musk is owning them! Genius!" ... Yet that isn't a sound business practice. That's a mental lashing out. That's immaturity to the highest level... Though I'm glad he hasn't literally put his butt on the site and called it a feature.

Top Bottom