• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft CEO defends Skull and Bones’ $70 price despite its live service leanings, calls it ‘quadruple-A’

skull-and-bones-a-768x432.jpg

Ubisoft co-founder and CEO Yves Guillemot has defended the $70 price tag for Skull and Bones, calling it a “quadruple-A game”.

During a Q&A session as part of a conference call discussing Ubisoft’s Q3 sales for its fiscal year 2024, one caller pointed out that Skull and Bones now appears to be taking a more live service approach – the game’s Year 1 roadmap was recently published, for example.

The caller asked why Ubisoft was insisting on charging $70 for the game and potentially limiting the size of its player base, suggesting a free-to-play model may better suit the live service mechanics and give it a better chance of building a community.
Guillemot replied with an assertion that Skull and Bones deserves to be a full-price game because of its scale.

“You will see that Skull and Bones is a fully-fledged game,” he replied.

“It’s a very big game, and we feel that people will really see how vast and complete that game is. It’s a really full, triple… quadruple-A game, that will deliver on the long run.”

Hemingwayoffbase

Gold Member
This feels like how razor blade companies kept trying to impress people by all the blades they could fit onto the handle.

Skull and Bones is Schick Quattro-A

SJRB

Gold Member
Calling it AAAA is the kiss of death.

I'm watching some livestreams right now and this game is dire. Not even boarding other ships is actual gameplay, it's a press of a button and a standard cutscene plays. Ridiculous. How do you spend 11 years on a game that is worse than Black Flag in pretty much every aspect?

This game isn't even going to hit 5000 non-sponsored players.

Last edited:

Kurotri

They release an amazing return to PoP with a metacritic score of 86, then turn around and then do this shit. I hope that the Singapore contract thing is over and done with, so that after this we can just leave it all behind.

Alebrije

Do You walk inside continent and have adventure there or is just water battles and Port towns ?

Becuase the Game looks just battles on oceans and find that boring.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
This is going to follow the usual Ubisoft ark of multiplayer games. Will launch as a complete flop, price will drop heavily soon, people will buy it just because, Ubisoft will support it for ages, the game somehow will turn in a success.

I never learn my lesson with these guys. I bought RIDERS REPUBLIC on steam a few months ago because it was like $9 and I love snowboarding games. What a miserable piece of shit it was.

Neon Xenon

Was thinking about Star Wars: Outlaws today and wondered if Ubisoft might possibly be getting themselves back in order, and then there's this shit.

What the hell does "Quadruple-A" even mean now? Other than being a punchline?

Gp1

Ubisoft CEO defends Skull and Bones’ $70 price as a way to compensate for the troubled development and despite being a Assassins Creed minigame offspring. Calls it ‘-A’​

Fixed

TheUsual

Gold Member
Ubisoft, your budget for it may be quadruple a, but don't kid yourself that you'll get the quadruple-a sales.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I did my part on Nexus, but it's a bummer if people didn't buy it as it's generally considered one of the best VR games.

Needlecrash

The last developer who said their game was Quadruple A title was Glen Schofield's The Calisto Protocol, which came with a $70 price tag and a $25 DLC Season Pass that included finisher animations. Look how that turned out.

Last edited:

Codes 208

The funny thing is i bet this would sell much better as an asscreed 4 spin-off rather than as-is. I know next to nothing about this game outside of it being kind of a sea of thieves clone
And even then, i have little to no interest. The $70 just makes me even less interested at this point
The last developer who said their game was Quadruple A was Glen Schofield's The Calisto Protocol and look how that turned out.
The sad thing is that TCP couldve worked, but going the melee-focused route was so damn dumb and repetitive

Top Bottom