• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft just had an amazing conference that evoked the E3 of old.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I am not talking about next gen games like Avatar or the new Star Wars. Yes, they helped make it a great conference, but I am mostly talking about the format.

They had trailers for all of their games, followed by a creative director doing a bit of talking we all hated back in the day but now is obvious that having someone talk between trailers is a great buffer to give our brains some rest. Keighley's shows are constant trailers which are basically ads that no one can take for 1-2 hours straight without losing their goddman minds.

Yes, it's cringy seeing these guys talk about something no one else is as passionate about as they are, but there is an honest passion here that suits who spend all day in corporate boardrooms simply cannot capture.

Then they had gameplay walkthroughs for everything. Some were RDR documentary style overviews, while others were pure walkthroughs. Regardless, every game got 10-15 minutes of screen time. They let these games breathe. We got to see what these games actually look like when you are playing them. Not everything looked great, but at least its not some cg trailer or some indie game no one gives a shit about.

I am shocked at how we had 4 conferences this year and only one brought gameplay demos and actual creative talent up on stage. Ubisoft is the king of downgrades, king of formulaic trash, among other shitty industry practices but man they get what the audience wants from E3 shows.

feynoob

Banned
It's more because of timing.
The show has less time, so you need to utilize that time very well.
If you do gameplays, you are going to lose a lot of time and make your audience bored. The last thing you want to do is lose your audiences attention.

fermcr

It was ok show. Too much talking...
I liked Star Wars, Avatar and Prince of Persia. Ass Creed Mirage looked more of the same, but probably still getting it... didn't care about the rest.

Last edited:

DonJorginho

Banned
It had everything.

Amazing truly next gen looking titles.

Fun little side releases like AC: Mirage, Prince of Persia & xDefiant

And also some perfect humourous cringe moments like the traditional Just Dance opening, the Blood Dragon anime presenter and that awful throat singing section for Skull & Bones.

bender

What time is it?
giphy.gif

acm2000

just a shame they had nothing good to show, a far cry reskin, a version of PoP no one asked for, a sequel to a dull open world racer and lots of ass.

edit: already forgot about star wars, the only semi decent looking game they had.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
Overreliance on CG trailers but they actually had some bangers, some actual legit gameplay segments and some neat deep dives. Not everything was a homerun but overall it was a decent show even if it was a bit self-congratulatory.

You reading this, Sony, you fucks? You got owned by fucking Ubisoft.

Varteras

Gold Member
I enjoyed the way it was presented. Definitely reminded me of the pre-COVID days. More like this, please.

DonJorginho

Banned
lol thats exactly the kind of eccentric dude we are missing from these soulless state of plays and E3 showcases. The guy was off his rocker and i would still take him over the dozens of indie trash Keighley had on his show.
I completely agree, was a nice change of pace to see someone just enjoy themselves and not giving a fuck about the occasion instead of doing the whole corporate schtick.

Robbinhood

Banned
Yes I love this format, obviously it can be better with a much bigger audience and less cringey dialogue but the format itself is GOATed. Makes the games feel more epic.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

GHG

Yep I had the same feeling watching it. It was a very old school show, even down to the bullshot tech demos being passed off as "gameplay".

I think sometimes we forget that these shows are supposed to entertain. Night and day compared to the format of Sony and Microsoft's conferences.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
A bit too much talking for my liking, but easily the best Showcase this Summer. Nothing else comes close.

I have high hopes from Capcom as well, but I think they will end up at #2.

hyperbertha

Yep I had the same feeling watching it. It was a very old school show, even down to the bullshot tech demos being passed off as "gameplay".

I think sometimes we forget that these shows are supposed to entertain. Night and day compared to the format of Sony and Microsoft's conferences.
I think they are going to pull it off. I think atleast the pc version will look like what they showed today. Remember ac unity? They can do it if they want to.

GHG

I think they are going to pull it off. I think atleast the pc version will look like what they showed today. Remember ac unity? They can do it if they want to.

I want them to pull it off, especially in the case of Avatar. But I need to keep my expectations in check and remember it's Ubisoft.

I got burned hard by the first watch dogs.

I thought it was ok.

Highlights were Prince of Persia and Star Wars Outlaw.
Pointless Dance opening, pointless live Pirate song performance and I know these peresenters are french, but would it hurt these guys to put some subtitles on the screen. It was very hard to understand what the hell they were saying half the time.

Seriously Ass Creed fatigued out, so that only loss points for me anytime that was on.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I want them to pull it off, especially in the case of Avatar. But I need to keep my expectations in check and remember it's Ubisoft.

I got burned hard by the first watch dogs.
Dont forget rainbow six lmao.

Division they did come pretty close though it was a clear downgrade. I was expecting a legendary downgrade for Avatar from their E3 2021 showing and honestly it looks pretty close. There is some weird fog that they are using in some flying areas to mask the draw distance but its not there in other scenes when you are on the horse or walking so whatever. i can live with that.

Turk1993 Turk1993 found instances of FSR and other artifcats in the PS5 gameplay footage that leads me to believe that they are pretty far along in dev to make any major downgrades. Remember this game was supposed to be released in 2022 like starfield and zelda so its pretty much finished with some polish and QA work left. At worst, they will probably downgrade some settings from high to medium but I dont see entire rendering engines being changed like we saw in Watch Dogs and Rainbow six.

Just expect DF to completely miss the point and focus only on FSR, resolution and framerate while completely ignoring all the insane things its doing visually.

Bartski

Gold Member
Was about to post a similar take in the other thread. Totally agree. Most games in looks-nice-but-not-for-me category, don't care about avatar nor star wars but this is exactly how games should be presented at such events. The format was PERFECT. Top it off with dev interviews and commentary replays of trailers at the end. Hope Jimbo wakes up and takes some notes.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Come on man, the clapping at the end? Yves out there taking a bow like he's expecting the crowd to say "encore"?

The format was appreciated, I suppose. I've always complained about the lack of showmanship from the likes of Jim Ryan.

Phil out here at the end of their conference looking a wounded puppy. I guess I'm looking for a middle ground. Something between Cirque du Soleil/Flute guy and Jim Ryan.

I was raging at the audio on twitch from the Star Wars trailer, but I've since watched it in 4K and...fuck that...I'm not impressed. When they put the Splinter Cell Double Agent mechanic in there all I could say is, "god damn, do they have ANY new ideas?"

Avatar was...okay, but not a fan of the movies so it was gonna be a tough sale for me any way you slice it.

I'll tell you what I did appreciate. GAMEPLAY GAMEPLAY GAMEPLAY. Even if the games are not for me...I'm glad they showed ACTUAL GAMEPLAY. Enough to get a feel of what it like to actually play the damned thing.

Anyways, good post OP. I'm done ranting.

StueyDuck

it was nice to see, game -> talking head -> gameplay

Ubisoft nailed it, even if you aren't a fan of what they showed.

they should of kept the Star Wars showing as a "one last thing" instead of spoiling it a day prior. then you would of had the perfect E3 format.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Oooooh boy.
Is this real? This isn't some sort of Devolver spoof?
Holy shit that guy needs to apply to be on the PC Game Show. Cringe factor is almost at critical mass, he would put it over the top and then some.

oji-san

Banned
It was a nice show and i like several games but i find it a bit waste of time watching a man talking for couple of minutes about his tv series, was a bit cringey.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I didn’t watch it but I agree with SlimySnake SlimySnake about pacing. Keighley just hitting you over the head with 30 trailers in a row kind of wears on you especially when most of them are junk.

I feel like Nintendo are the only company that mastered this format. Directs are perfectly paced and usually feature a ton of gameplay plus creators talking.

mnkl13

and the games also looked like from an old E3, because they al looked last gen plus raytracing. i wasn't expecting that... what's happening?

Rhazkul

We got to see what these games actually look like when you are playing them.
Don't be so sure of that. Ubisoft is one of the worst publishers regarding misleading "Gameplay" videos. The amount of downgrades for Ubisoft games is borderline fraudulent. You even said it yourself, so i am confused why you would praise these fraudsters.

Last edited:
It was surprisingly great. Best show this year imo. I normally ignore Ubi games, but Star Wars Outlaws, Prince of Persia, AssCreed and Avatar looked great.
I expected all of those games except Price of Persia to be trash.

Top Bottom