• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft's removal of the PS1/PS2/PS3 non-compatibility can ALSO mean that Sony rectified that misinformed statement (There is STILL HOPE, YA'LL!!!)

Yeah, it's me again.

So today, I saw the thread regarding the Ubisoft slip and it seems that everyone is writing off PlayStation's ability to provide BC for the previous generations.

I tend to see things as half cup full, so I believe that Sony told Ubisoft to remove that page because it's not confirmed yet whether BC will be included or not.

I've already made threads before about the PS5's possible BC capabilities and the hints/statements/rumors over the past two years regarding this matter.

I still believe that PS5 will be BC with the previous generations and Ubisoft made a mistake by assuming they won't based on a lack of official confirmation by Sony over the past few months.

Thank you for reading my thread. Don't forget to leave a like and follow my profile! 😊

Fake

2enpmv.gif

trikster40

If I really wanted to play old games, I’d break out my systems. The only way I’d ever go back is if they have a magic wand that adds trophy support to every single game ever. I think we all forget that old games don’t just have old graphics, but they’ve got old gameplay that just doesn’t hold up on most cases.

I think one of the very few games that just holds up is Metal Gear Solid. Sprite based games still hold up well.

NullZ3r0

Banned
Sony hasn't rectified shit. It was negative PR and Sony sicked their lawyers on Ubi Soft. Sony makes a living on positive press and spreading FUD about the competition.

If it was Microsoft doing this, it would be spun as "fear" and "hiding the truth of their anti-consumer practices."

SilentUser

I don't think it will happen and not having it is not going to change my purchase. Of course, the addition would be welcome.

ABnormal

Is this a thing worth a "hope tread"?

If it's there, good. If it's not, who cares? Do you really buy a next gen console to play with old games?

You can only give importance to things like that if you lack games of any significance.

When it comes to games before PS4, I don't think Sony cares about backwards compatibility. I like playing my older games. During the last few months most of the games I played were from previous generations. Sometimes its fun going back to the games I played when I was younger. I'll survive if the PS5 is not backwards compatible though.

Vawn

Banned
There wasn't hope before today and there's not any now. I'll be keeping my PS3 hooked up in the media closet and replace the PS4 Pro with a PS5.

Hostile_18

Banned
Glad to see you still care about console developments MiyazakiHatesKojima MiyazakiHatesKojima . I one day hold out hope you will return to glorious 30 fps gaming!

I've always believed theres a chance. That slide spacing was a tease we all know it. Hope will not be lost until the second PS5 conference in my eyes.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I wanna play MGS4 again...
You can on PC basically, that's why it would be nice if Sony dump their PS4 gen on PC, because that way it would be always chance to go back without emulation overhead and official support. Also long time to develop emulator obviously.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
Could be.

People need to consider Ubisoft might be saying simply what was only confirmed at this point. They wouldn't know that information and I doubt Sony told them to say that, it might just be them saying SO FAR what both systems could do.

Sorta like how no publisher is listing Series S under their titles.

We know it exist (mostly), simply that its not the job of the publisher to tell fans MS has a secret system or something, which means their news that Far Cry 6 is coming PS4,XONE, PS5 and Series X, doesn't confirm Series S doesn't exist, simply means Ubisoft is ONLY CONFIRMING whats been announced.

yurinka

Forget it, won't happen. If that would be the case Sony would have announced PS1, PS2, PS3 BC back when they announced PS4/PSVR BC. They mentioned PS4 BC multiple times and never mentioned BC with older consoles so it won't happen, at least for launch.

Last edited:

Abear21

Banned
I think including anything beyond just PS4 back compatibility goes against their strategy with PSNow. Wouldn’t they rather sell us a subscription to access old games rather than include the emulation?

I personally do want PS4 BC, yeah PS3 would be nice but as troublesome as PS3 was with the cell I didn’t think would happen anyway. PS1 should be supported as every console has had that. So it’s really PS2 that had the question mark on it still imo. I happen to have one in a box so no biggie.

Great Hair

Banned

Grinchy

Banned
Nah, I'm not seeing it. They probably just didn't need ubisoft randomly letting the cat out of the bag in this dumb way.

Sony wants to sell PS Now subscriptions. They don't want you playing cheap used discs for free.

Yoboman

Gold Member
If it was only PS4 why wouldn't they have just said it by now? Better to get that out of the way early on

Kdad

Let me know when PS5 arrives and I'll check it out...

In the meantime I'm playing all this on my OG fatty

Last edited:

AGRacing

People falling over each other to be the first to say "I don't care!!! I don't care!!!".

Online or in real life.... Always be skeptical of such behavior.

Enjay

Banned
This thread was a helpful reminder to always log in before browsing neogaf so that the ignore function can work.

Jtibh

Banned
Dont care.

I tried to go down memory lane on psnow .
But as soon as i saw those graphics and clunky controls i turned it off right away.

I have no problem to play retro games old arcade games as they have sentimental valeu to me.

But i cant say the same about old ps games.

As long as i have ps4 back comp i am all good.

Sony makes a living on positive press and spreading FUD about the competition.
This is a little known fact. People think Sony makes money by designing consoles 100+ million people want to buy and developing games that do well critically and commercially, but that's nothing more than a side hustle for them. Lawsuits and disinformation campaigns have been their primary source of income since the PS1 days, and the sooner people realize it the better. Wake up, Sheeple!

Portugeezer

Gold Member
Or Sony just asked them to not confirm/unconfirm features that they have not officially said anything about yet.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Only thing I can think of that might make it wrong is that it will be digital only games that transfer over. A PS1 disc won't work on a ps5. An old ps1 game digitally bought on PS3 might though.

Top Bottom