• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft's removal of the PS1/PS2/PS3 non-compatibility can ALSO mean that Sony rectified that misinformed statement (There is STILL HOPE, YA'LL!!!)

Zok310

Banned
Removed likely because Sony feels thats not information for Ubisoft to share.
BC or not Sony prolly feels like that info should be coming officially from Sony and not another company, even if they are partners.

Romulus

Not sure why people care about PS2 but especially PS1, emulators are really good now and you can play them on shit hardware. Hell crappy phones can run PS1 at 2x resolution.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
If anyone other than MiyazakiHatesKojima MiyazakiHatesKojima had posted this I would say Ubisoft removed it because it was irrelevant to the PS4 titles they were talking about. I might also add that the ROI isn't there for Sony to bother, especially as they things move to digital-maintaining physical backwards compatibility is not something there is really a financial case for but there certainly is value in maintaining digital back compat/ecosystem going forward. I might even speculate that Sony will likely add expand PS classics list and update the ones that only run on PS3 to work on PS5 in the future since packaging the image file with an emulator especially one they already have running on x86 is relatively straight forward. I would also say that it wouldn't surprise me if they ported/remade some more PS2+3 titles.

But since MiyazakiHatesKojima MiyazakiHatesKojima made this thread I'll simply complement his visionary story telling with plot twist after plot twist and applaud his efforts to continually keep the audience on the edge of their seats.

Last edited:

Knightime_X

I hope PS NOW isn't the solution.
I want to download the game and play it at higher frame rates and resolutions like Xbox Series X will.

Otherwise i'll be looking like that meme saying "this is fine" while crying behind a mask playing my ps2 game at 480p 35fps.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Sony hasn't rectified shit. It was negative PR and Sony sicked their lawyers on Ubi Soft. Sony makes a living on positive press and spreading FUD about the competition.

If it was Microsoft doing this, it would be spun as "fear" and "hiding the truth of their anti-consumer practices."
Ubisoft probably knows enough that they just removed it themselves. I doubt lawyers were involved.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I don’t think it’ll happen.... it would be cool if it did, though. B/C is a nice feature but I don’t think most people would use it. Ever gone back and played a PS3 shooter? That bitch runs at 20FPS pretty much constantly.

Sure, Microsoft figured it out, but they had to, being so far behind this gen and basically doing “here’s some free shit, don’t hate us” apology tours (which granted, gamers benefited from).

I think ultimately we should be grateful for PS4 B/C and leave it at that.

Last edited:

angrod14

Yeah, it's me again.

So today, I saw the thread regarding the Ubisoft slip and it seems that everyone is writing off PlayStation's ability to provide BC for the previous generations.

I tend to see things as half cup full, so I believe that Sony told Ubisoft to remove that page because it's not confirmed yet whether BC will be included or not.

I've already made threads before about the PS5's possible BC capabilities and the hints/statements/rumors over the past two years regarding this matter.

I still believe that PS5 will be BC with the previous generations and Ubisoft made a mistake by assuming they won't based on a lack of official confirmation by Sony over the past few months.

Thank you for reading my thread. Don't forget to leave a like and follow my profile! 😊

giphy.gif

00_Zer0

4nWWXck.jpg

Backwards compatibility on all systems that have had it always come to an end. GB-GBC-GBA. DS-3DS, GameCube-Wii, Wii-WiiU, PS1-PS2, PS1 only to PS3, selective b/c-XBox-360-full b/c-XOne-XSX. Once MS bows out of the console race after this next gens failure, they won't be our b/c saviors anymore. 😜

Seriously though, if anyone wants to ensure the old console games they love never go away, buy physical copies, never sell anything, and keep all your consoles. Store them away if there is no room, and get them out again when you are craving to play that classic that's not available elsewhere.

If that isn't appealing to you and you are a computer gamer, emulate all the consoles you can and dump every game you own for your own personal use.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Sony did such an amazing job with digital PS1-2 games on PS3’s PSN. It doesn’t even get brought up. There’s such a large library there that stands out much better than a lot of other digital stores. I don’t understand it. Sony’s greatness is also from its past. The PS1 and PS2 stood as giants of their time. Why such a harsh treatment? I don’t understand who makes these decisions because sometimes they’ll throw a BC title for Xbox or even Nintendo and you wonder if these people missed a ton of great games.

The PS3’s store and what you could get on it should have been brought up at some point. It’s insane how degraded of value some gets receive over time. Either it’s by trying something new and it totally sucks or they underperform.

GenericUser

Backwards compatibility is cool for the first few dry month of the new generation, but after you see the first real next gen titles, it's hard to go back to the old stuff. At least that's my experience. Furthermore, you can easily emulate a lot of old systems on almost any pc. My 8 year old PC can emulate everything up to the PS2. I love classic games (just recently finished super metroid and sotn for the first time in my life) but not everything that is old is worthy of a replay and the timeless classics that definitely exist can be enjoyed otherwise through emulation.

I imagine if it was retracted due to Sony chiming in it's because the PS5 will be able to play PS1 and PS2 games purchased from PSN.

So, you wouldn't be able to pop any old PS1 or PS2 disc into the drive and expect it to play, but those PSN purchases will still work.

Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Instead of delegating employees to work on BC for ps1-ps3, they're put into teams to port ps4 and ps5 games to PC.

There is no spoiler. On the other hand people should seriously keep their older consoles for BC. Until you can keep your entire collection on that one system, keep the old hardware.

Last edited:

Tschumi

MiyazakiHK san, i reckon PlayStations have been emulating prior consoles since ps3 and vita, heck since ps2. it would make zero sense for them not to provide this feature now.

GenericUser

Raspberry Pi 4 can do a pretty solid job emulating the Dreamcast these days.
Yes I heard that, but it still is far from perfect (so I heard).
The only emulator, that I miss is a a good saturn emulator. I really want to replay those sega saturn classics (sega rally, dragonforce, panzer dragoon saga, nights into dreams, beyond oasis 2, dark savior - to name a few). But as of right now, such an emulator does not exist.

Sorry for off topic.

Top Bottom