• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 127: Just Scrap Baby Jay - 2/26/11

Status
Not open for further replies.

dream

I'm only making this because nobody else wants to.

ufc-127-poster.jpg

Main Card:

BJ Penn vs. Jon Fitch
Michael Bisping vs. Jorge Rivera
Dennis Siver vs. George Sotiropoulos
Chris Lytle vs. Brian Ebersole
Chris Camozzi vs. Kyle Noke

Preliminary Card (on Ion TV):

Spencer Fisher vs. Ross Pearson
Alexander Gustafsson vs. James Te Huna
Riki Fukuda vs. Nick Ring

Pre-Preliminary Card (on Facebook):

Jason Reinhardt vs. Tiequan Zhang
Tom Blackledge vs. Anthony Perosh

Unaired Preliminary Card:

Mark Hunt vs. Chris Tuchscherer
Maciej Jewtuszko vs. Curt Warburton

bj-penn-down-punch.jpg

Jay Dee "B.J." Penn (born December 13, 1978 in Kailua, Hawaii) is an American professional mixed martial arts (MMA) fighter and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu practitioner, currently the Ultimate Fighting Championship lightweight champion. He holds notable wins over Matt Hughes, Takanori Gomi, Jens Pulver, Caol Uno, Duane Ludwig, Matt Serra, Rodrigo Gracie, Din Thomas, Renzo Gracie and Joe Stevenson. He is the first American-born winner of the World Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Championship (Mundial) in the black belt category (2000). Penn is also the former UFC welterweight champion and was a coach on the The Ultimate Fighter 5 reality show. After winning the lightweight title at UFC 80, he became only the second man (with Randy Couture) to win UFC titles in two different weight classes.

Nicknamed "The Prodigy", BJ Penn was introduced to Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu in Hilo Hawaii at the tender age of 17 by neighbor. It was through this smae neighbor that BJ met Ralph Gracie in 1997 and decided to relocate to Mountain View, CA to further his jiu-jitsu training. From that time on, BJ Penn launched his storied career through the ranks of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.

His accomplishments caught the attention of the Ultimate Fighting Championship, where he began his mixed martial arts career less than a year later in 2001. He demonstrated strong striking skills, knocking out lightweights Din Thomas and Caol Uno before suffering a decision loss in a title fight against UFC lightweight champion Jens Pulver. In 2003, after Pulver left the UFC and relinquished his title, a tournament to crown a new champion flopped when Penn fought Uno to a draw in the finals at UFC 41, a failure which caused the UFC to later suspend its lightweight division. Penn bounced back later in the year with a victory over Takanori Gomi, future PRIDE Fighting Championship lightweight champion, in Rumble on the Rock, an MMA organization promoted by Penn's brother.

The crowning achievement of Penn's career came in 2004 at UFC 46. Penn jumped up in weight classes to challenge the five-time defending UFC welterweight champion Matt Hughes to fill a title contention slot in a division where Hughes had already defeated all the available opposition. Heavily favored to win, Hughes lost the fight four minutes into the first round by rear naked choke after giving up his back with only 23 seconds left in the round.

Shortly after defeating Matt Hughes, the new champion signed to fight in the K-1 organization. The UFC promptly stripped him of the welterweight title, claiming Penn breached his contract and that the signing constituted him refusing to defend his title. Penn filed a suit against the UFC and publicized his side of the conflict, claiming his UFC contract had already expired. Penn filed a motion to stop the UFC from awarding a new welterweight title, but that motion was denied.[3][4] In his first K-1 fight, Penn fought again at welterweight (170 lb) and defeated Duane Ludwig at the 2004 K-1 MMA Romanex show in under five minutes by arm triangle choke. Following the Ludwig fight, Penn moved up in weight class to face the undefeated Rodrigo Gracie at middleweight (185 lb). Penn won by decision, extending his winning streak to four fights.

In 2005, at the K-1 Hero's 1 event in Japan, Penn faced light heavyweight Lyoto Machida, losing by decision. Later that year at K-1 World Grand Prix Hawaii, Penn returned to middleweight to face Renzo Gracie and won by unanimous decision.

In early 2006 at UFC 56, UFC president Dana White announced that Penn and the UFC had agreed to a settlement and Penn was to return as a top welterweight contender. Penn re-debuted on March 4 at UFC 58, losing to Georges St. Pierre by split decision in a fight that determined the number one welterweight contender.

In July, Penn briefly spoke with KUAM about rededicating himself to earning the lightweight championship, along with the welterweight and middleweight titles.

After new top contender St. Pierre injured himself during training, the UFC announced that Penn would replace St. Pierre in an upcoming title fight, setting up a highly anticipated rematch with Hughes for UFC 63 on September 23, 2006. In the bout, Penn controlled the first two rounds, but sustained a rib injury during the scramble to take Hughes' back in round two. He was visibly different in the third round, appearing exhausted and missing punches he was landing earlier. Hughes was able to take Penn to the mat, and in side control crucifix position rained punches on Penn's head until referee "Big" John McCarthy stopped the fight at 3:53 of the third round, making this the first time that Penn had been stopped in a fight. In an interview found on Penn's personal website, Penn stated that by round three he could hardly breathe and had no "mobility in his core." Despite the injury, Penn congratulated Hughes, calling him a great fighter and saying he deserved the victory.

Penn was a coach for The Ultimate Fighter 5, which aired on April 5, 2007. Penn lead a team of eight lightweight fighters, and fought a rematch against Jens Pulver at the conclusion of the series on June 23, 2007. He won with a rear naked choke in the second round after controlling Pulver from the mount and then taking Pulver's back. Although he held the choke for a moment after Pulver tapped out, the two then embraced, with both later saying they no longer held any ill will against each other.

On July 7, 2007, during the post-fight press conference of UFC 73, UFC president Dana White announced that Penn would stay at lightweight to fight current UFC lightweight champion Sean Sherk. However, Sean Sherk subsequently was suspended by the California State Athletic Commission, and the status of the possible title fight was left in limbo as he pursued his appeals. With Sherk's title status still in limbo after months of hearings, the UFC scheduled Penn to fight Joe Stevenson at UFC 80 on January 19th 2008 for an interim lightweight title. The subsequent final decision by the California State Athletic Commission, which did not overturn Sherk's suspension, led to the title being stripped from Sherk and the Penn-Stevenson fight being upgraded to a full title bout, with the winner facing Sherk in their first defense.

Penn knocked Stevenson down seconds into the first round with a right uppercut, then took Stevenson down, eventually inflicting a serious cut near Stevenson's hairline. In the second round, Stevenson fought more aggressively but was still unable to threaten Penn. Penn worked to back mount and defeated him by rear naked choke at 4:02 of the second round to win the UFC lightweight championship. With this win, Penn became only the second man (with Randy Couture) to win UFC titles in two different weight classes.

bj_penn1.jpg

Frank Shamrock: Fitch is a goner. Baby Jay Penn can fight.

Marlon Sandro: I think B.J. wins by submission in the second round. I don’t believe in a KO in this fight.

Mike Constantino: B.J. will win by using his jab and his extraordinary takedown defense. I see B.J. frustrating Fitch with this combo and taking a decision victory.

Gerald Harris: B.J.’s jab will be his key to victory.

Leonardo Santos: I think B.J. has more weapons to win. I believe in a victory from B.J.

Brendan Schaub: A focused and determined Penn is the best 155er in the world. Fitch always seems to find a way to win, but I think B.J. will be too much for him in the later rounds. I’ll take B.J. by submission win late in the third.

Cristiano Marcello: I think B.J. wins a judges’ decision.

Anthony Leone: If Penn comes in to preform, I believe it will be a tough three rounds for Fitch. If B.J. is able to defend the shot, slip the punches and come back with his counter boxing, he is going to score more than Fitch. Fitch is great at everything and poses a real threat for B.J. I believe it will depend on how B.J. approaches the fight more than Fitch’s game plan. B.J. via unanimous decision.

Enson Inoue: B.J. [wins].

Luis Ramos: I think B.J. wins by submission in the second round.

Fabio Maldonado: I think B.J. is the favorite.

Gustavo Machado: It’s a tough fight, but B.J. wins by submission in round two.

Alberto Crane: B.J. [wins].

bj-penn.jpg

If BJ wins does that mean he fights GSP AGAIN for the title?

Oh yea heres my predictions for the fighters I know

BJ Penn vs. Jon Fitch

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Jaladinozozo said:
If BJ wins does that mean he fights GSP AGAIN for the title?
Nope. Dana is on record that if GSP beats Shields he will vacate the belt and move up in weight class. Although I wouldn't mind seeing GSP/Fitch again.

NomarTyme said:
1st round KO by BJ baby!

I think its gonna be more like BJ by a close if not split decision. Don't see Fitch getting KOd or subbed. Actually if BJ can't stop the takedowns he may very well lose by decision, hes not known for subbing off his back.

RiccochetJ said:
Nope. Dana is on record that if GSP beats Shields he will vacate the belt and move up in weight class. Although I wouldn't mind seeing GSP/Fitch again.

Thats if GSP wants to move up to 185 and is able to gain the weight..........

NomarTyme

Jaladinozozo said:
I think its gonna be more like BJ by a close if not split decision. Don't see Fitch getting KOd or subbed. Actually if BJ can't stop the takedowns he may very well lose by decision, hes not known for subbing off his back.
Yeah I know! wishful thinking on my part!

Also WAR George Sotiropoulos!!!!

RiccochetJ said:

Has GSP himself though ever expressed any desire anywhere of leaving the WW division for MW if he beats Shields?

I mean if GSP moves up to 185 and then gets his ass handed to him by Silva, do you really think hes going to stay at 185?

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Jaladinozozo said:
Has GSP himself though ever expressed any desire anywhere of leaving the WW division for MW if he beats Shields?

I mean if GSP moves up to 185 and then gets his ass handed to him by Silva, do you really think hes going to stay at 185?
He's just always talked about moving up in weight class 'the right way' and has never directly answered the question. Dana has though.

Anyways, enough talk about that. There's more than enough time to talk about what ifs after this event.

I think Fitch has a good chance against Penn... I'm really wondering if Fitch can handle Penn's rubber guard. This is a nasty matchup for Fitch IMO. And I don't know why, but I think that there's a good chance that Bisping could get Henderson'd again. Bisping is definitely talented, but his discipline in the ring is sometimes suspect.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I'm just hoping for the Riviera upset here, anything to see that smug shithead Bisping get his ass whipped.

Oh and BJ is going to get fucking mauled here.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
RiccochetJ said:
He's just always talked about moving up in weight class 'the right way' and has never directly answered the question. Dana has though.

Anyways, enough talk about that. There's more than enough time to talk about what ifs after this event.

I think Fitch has a good chance against Penn... I'm really wondering if Fitch can handle Penn's rubber guard. This is a nasty matchup for Fitch IMO. And I don't know why, but I think that there's a good chance that Bisping could get Henderson'd again. Bisping is definitely talented, but his discipline in the ring is sometimes suspect.
fitch has very good sub d from every time i've seen but who knows. i'm more curious about this whole vegan thing and the weight loss with fitch be really interested to see how it translates in the cage. fitch with the weight would be easy money but now leaner who knows . . . could be better or could just be giving up an important advantage

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
AstroLad said:
fitch has very good sub d from every time i've seen but who knows. i'm more curious about this whole vegan thing and the weight loss with fitch be really interested to see how it translates in the cage. fitch with the weight would be easy money but now leaner who knows . . . could be better or could just be giving up an important advantage
Good points. But remember that Penn can be a hell of a striker when he's motivated. I have no idea why I think Fitch has a good chance... I've just seen him dominate opponents too much recently I guess. Although he hasn't faced an opponent of this caliber since GSP imo. And the whole vegan thing comes into play, but I'm interested in how that really plays out.
If it's not obvious, I'm extremely conflicted about this matchup seeing as I'm clearly arguing with myself :p

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
RiccochetJ said:
Good points. But remember that Penn can be a hell of a striker when he's motivated. I have no idea why I think Fitch has a good chance... I've just seen him dominate opponents too much recently I guess. Although he hasn't faced an opponent of this caliber since GSP imo. And the whole vegan thing comes into play, but I'm interested in how that really plays out.
If it's not obvious, I'm extremely conflicted about this matchup seeing as I'm clearly arguing with myself :p

Penn is a decent striker but he's giving up a *ton* of reach to Fitch. Rumor has it that Thiago Alves is a good striker too and Fitch manhandled him twice.

Does anyone think Mark Hunt has any chance beyond landing a perfect punch very early? Why are they even putting him up against a wrestler. This is just going to be sad. They should just let him and Crocop fight again. That would be sad also but at least it'll be more competitive.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Sinatar said:
Penn is a decent striker but he's giving up a *ton* of reach to Fitch. Rumor has it that Thiago Alves is a good striker too and Fitch manhandled him twice.
Alves is no Penn. Alves is primarily a striker with a limited ground game. Penn is a different beast altogether.

Alves also came in over weight, whereas BJ isn't cutting at all. And ya, BJ is a very unique fighter, and much more well rounded than Fitch or Alves. It's just whether he's strong enough to stay off his back.

dream

parrotbeak said:
Alves also came in over weight, whereas BJ isn't cutting at all. And ya, BJ is a very unique fighter, and much more well rounded than Fitch or Alves. It's just whether he's strong enough to stay off his back.

I don't think it's going to be easy for Fitch to get BJ on his back.

bj_penn_takedown_defense.gif

Yeah I don't think B.j. will actually be able to defend a good take down attempt by someone that knows how to do a single. WTF? Is that guy doing in that gif.

dream

I think he's trying to turn the corner to complete the takedown and failing miserably at it.

I'm sure Fitch will get BJ down at some point in the fight but BJ is really good off of his back against guys who aren't unnaturally slippery.

dream said:
I think he's trying to turn the corner to complete the takedown and failing miserably at it.

I'm sure Fitch will get BJ down at some point in the fight but BJ is really good off of his back against guys who aren't unnaturally slippery.

I call them wrestlers.

Perfect thread title. I just got my BJ Penn 127 walkout shirt to wear to the bar, that's how hardcore of a BJ fan I am. WAR BJ, WAR G-SOT, WAR PEARSON

Oh yeah and it's funny how the Spike Fight Night coming up is way more stacked than this PPV card. Phil Davis vs Lil Nog is gonna be a fuckIng WAR, as is Hardy vs Rumble.

Tenks

Can't believe this card isn't free. This will be a rare skip for me. There is nothing appealing about this card. Fitch by smother, Bisping by losing horribly the but judges bailing him out.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Pros who picked Fitch: 25
Pros who picked Penn: 17

FITCH: gotta agree. besides, i hate penn.

BISPING: and if bisping can weather the storm of round 1, and survive the inevitable right hand that WILL land, i think he'll beat rivera. thats a BIG if though...

SOTIRO: this is a miss match IMO. siver has nothing but the spinning back kick and at this point him using it should catch no one off guard.

LYTLE: got lucky that condit couldnt fight, but he should take this.

NOKE: just a random pick.

PEARSON: am excited to see pearson fight again though. hes got a pretty decent future i think and has been fun to watch. sad, as i also like spencer quite a bit.

Rur0ni

Wisdom says Fitch, heart wants BJ.

Also, Siver really a +300? Sotiropoulos vs. Lauzon didn't inspire confidence on the feet.

BJ's weakness is mostly mental. If he can't dominate his opponent, he gets frustrated and falls into their game plan. He did it twice against Edgar, and Edgar didn't even really do anything different the second time, other than be more confident and aggressive. Fitch is extremely frustrating to fight. He is difficult to slow down and will just keep coming for take downs over and over. I think it's a terrible match up for BJ, unless he really worked on changing his mental outlook and got some better coaching for his game plan. I haven't paid attention to how he trained for this.

ldcommando

Banned
Bj is getting smothered by fitch
Hoping to see bisping getting ktfo again
G-sot wins just to have to fight 2 more times to be given a title shot
And I was dyeing to see condit vs lytle. So lytle has to win so we can have this fight in the future.
Should be a good night of fights.

thefro

CaptYamato said:
Yeah I don't think B.j. will actually be able to defend a good take down attempt by someone that knows how to do a single. WTF? Is that guy doing in that gif.

BJ trained with Matt Hughes for this fight.

dream said:
BJ Penn vs. Jon Fitch
Dennis Siver vs. George Sotiropoulos: I really like Siver and George but I don't think Siver has the ground skills.

Only fights I care about on the main card. MB is going to go right into Rivera's right fist.

and WAR FITCH!!!

w40oa.jpg

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I really hope Fitch doesn't or can't lay on BJ for 15 minutes.

BJ Penn vs. Jon Fitch

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
BJ Penn vs. Jon Fitch < Tough one as i like both guys. I'll root for BJ, but moneys on Fitch
Michael Bisping vs. Jorge Rivera < Rivera's videos got annoying lol
Dennis Siver vs. George Sotiropoulos < George is a beast

Preliminary Card (on Ion TV):

Spencer Fisher vs. Ross Pearson < Been a big fan of the king since his fights with Stout.

Rur0ni

BJ Penn vs. Jon Fitch could go either way. Wrestling is a bitch.
Michael Bisping vs. Jorge Rivera via (T)KO. If Rivera doesn't stay on the outside and let Bisping run circles around him, he could bring the heavy hands early.
Dennis Siver vs. George Sotiropoulos via KO. I'm going out on a limb and picking Siver. I'll believe in his TDD and superior striking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom