• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 194 + Fight Week |OT| The leprechaun finally gets his gold

Status
Not open for further replies.
You might be convinced it came down to pure skill but to the world it seemed like it just came down to a tense Aldo getting caught. It happens. McGregor has to prove that it wasn't just a fluke.

No he doesn't, and I vehemently disagree with anyone who says it's a fluke. Absolutely jaw dropping performance.

Jerm411

Trying to figure out what was the dumber move of the night....Weidman's ridiculous wheel kick or Aldo bumrushing a heavy handed great counter puncher.

Both up there with Cat Zingano...

Trying to figure out what was the dumber move of the night....Weidman's ridiculous wheel kick or Aldo bumrushing a heavy handed great counter puncher.

Both up there with Cat Zingano...

Fuck outta here with that shit. If nobody makes "mistakes" (bad decisions), nothing happens.

Hey Dude

Banned
RYMiuLk.jpg

Hey hey hey now I had a bad feeling when i saw how confident conor look coming out and how aldo was doing things he never before..it was a bizarre experience.

Would love to see a rematch maybe aldo comes back like GSP and beast modes (yeah serra is nothing compared to conor) or he comes back like silva and just flops again.

we shall see.

It's all good man. Eating crow is a part of life as I've eaten plenty during my time.

I like mine with barbecue sauce.

SunhiLegend proving again why he is the P4P best gif maker in GAF world lol

Shit, the headlines if Conor goes up against Cowboy.

Two cultures clashing - Irish vs American. That alone will sell a shitload of ppvs.

The way McGregor just trains is sort of amazing. Let's slow things down and analyze techniques but let's also not take away from our usual faster training segments.

As soon as Aldo stepped onto the cage I had it in my head that Aldo was legit shooked. Nice try Aldo. There's always the rematch and next time don't rush in with your usual combination in which Conor probably analyzed millions of times before stepping onto the octagon.

Jerm411

Two cultures clashing - Irish vs American. That alone will sell a shitload of ppvs.

The way McGregor just trains is sort of amazing. Let's slow things down and analyze techniques but let's also not take away from our usual faster training segments.

As soon as Aldo stepped onto the cage I had it in my head that Aldo was legit shooked. Nice try Aldo. There's always the rematch and next time don't rush in with your usual combination in which Conor probably analyzed millions of times before stepping onto the octagon.

Conor vs. the winner of Cowboy/Dos Anjos at Croke Park...yeah.

Yea, this fight proved Conor studied tapes of Aldo.

The setup started with a feint and then he threw a straight left while going backwards, textbook precision.

sirap

I would rather see Conor get a tune-up fight at LW first.

And by tune-up I mean Pettis lol.

Dos Anjos is pretty much radioactive at this point. If he manages to keep his piss clean, I don't see Cowboy taking the belt away from him.

Jerm411

I would rather see Conor get a tune-up fight at LW first.

And by tune-up I mean Pettis lol.

Dos Anjos is pretty much radioactive at this point. If he manages to keep his piss clean, I don't see Cowboy taking the belt away from him.

If Conor does indeed move up to 55 and he gets a tune up fight, the selfish part of me wants it against Nate just for the build up and shit talking lol....

Fitts

Yep, not to take anything away from Conor's skills but he is now one of the two cash cows for the UFC. The other being the one who broke Rowdy's soul.

I really hope the UFC gets its hype machine running in full swing behind Holm. She's actually good for WMMA's image. I don't think it's going to happen, though.

Uh exactly what bad decisions did Nelson or Jacare make....?

Jacare invited one of the best wrestlers in MMA, who just so happens to have hammers for hands to smash his skull against the canvas, in the first round while he was still getting his senses back from being knocked down.

If he had been knocked out, everybody would be saying he made a dumb decision. The guy could barely stand up after the first.

If Conor does indeed move up to 55 and he gets a tune up fight, the selfish part of me wants it against Nate just for the build up and shit talking lol....

Oh god lol. Just imagine the trolling the Diaz bros and Connor will all do. That's another great moneymaking fight.

You might be convinced it came down to pure skill but to the world it seemed like it just came down to a tense Aldo getting caught. It happens. McGregor has to prove that it wasn't just a fluke.
That's just backward thinking. If I knocked you the fuck out, and took your belt, you have to prove that you can beat me and get it back. I don't have to prove anything. That fluke shit is for sore losers.

Doubt the UFC will give him a rematch. With the way Aldo's been criticizing them and Reebok, and the number of times he's been pulled out of fights, I don't see them doing him any favors.

That said, a rematch would mean $$$. Dana will take a shit on his face if it means making bank.

Rumors are already talking about having a rematch at UFC 200 since Rousey/Holm 2 probably won't happen to go along with Jones/Cormier and CM Punk's debut.

ApharmdX

Banned
I just finished watching last night's fights. There were a lot of surprises.

Weidman got outclassed everywhere. He lost in the standup, he got outgrappled. This fight could have been stopped after round 3. Herb Dean gave Weidman the champion's benefit of the doubt. There can be no rematch here because there are no questions left. This one surprised me because I thought Weidman would win by submission. The standup I knew Chris would lose. He has good timing but TERRIBLE head movement. At this rate he's going to be brain-dead at 50.

Aldo made a terrible mistake rushing in and throwing that hook without proper setup. McGregor didn't bite on that feint and crushed him. I could see a possible rematch here. Who wants to see Connor and Edgar? Frankie Edgar is a point fighter. If he wins, it's bad for the UFC.

Maia dominated Nelson. He had a nice size advantage and Nelson wasn't able to control him or get good position. So good on him.

Romero- does this guy ever have a fight without controversy? He's dirty, man. Great athlete, fantastic first round (10-8?), but jeez... I guess he's got to get the title shot, though. It just feels bad to let a guy cheat his way to a shot.

Bisping "Conor McGregor is a bigger star than Floyd Mayweather."

lol

LOL! Bisping has taken too much punishment over his career.

Frog-fu

Banned
It wasn't a fluke, but Aldo was definitely jittery. Never got a chance to settle into the fight.

Right. It's up to the dude who won in literally the most spectacular fashion possible to prove something.

No he doesn't, and I vehemently disagree with anyone who says it's a fluke. Absolutely jaw dropping performance.

That's just backward thinking. If I knocked you the fuck out, and took your belt, you have to prove that you can beat me and get it back. I don't have to prove anything. That fluke shit is for sore losers.

McGregor isn't the only that has something to prove. As much as he has to prove that he didn't get lucky, Aldo has to prove that it wasn't just his bad luck.

Immediate rematches are so sought after for a reason. People want to see definitive wins.

If McGregor wins the rematch, there will be no way people can doubt him anymore. There will be no excuses the second time around.

For now though, given Aldo's calibre, that doubt will remain. You don't have to like it. It's just the way it is. If people think Holm got lucky after dominating Ronda from the first into the second (LOL), then they're definitely going to think that of McGregor knocking out one of the greatest fighters of all time with his first punch.

fuck Vitor Belfort is gonna get another shot. cuz that's what Rockwood wants.

He's probably going to get a more game Romero. Belfort looked solid in his last fight but they're positioning him more for the old dog/freak show fights like Hendo/Belfort 3, Silva/Belfort 2, etc.

It seems more of a result of his only and humiliating loss at UFC.

Fitts

fuck Vitor Belfort is gonna get another shot. cuz that's what Rockwood wants.

Personally, I don't really see an ideal option for a first defense. Vitor hasn't earned it, but it's always fun to see a good "what goes around comes around" scenario. That dude has earned all the beatings he's going to take post-juice.

Straight up, Yoel Romero has shown that he and his camp are flagrant cheaters across multiple fights now. Despite that and the questionable decision in his favor last night, the matchup still makes the most sense but still... fuck that dude.

Weidman doesn't deserve a rematch after that performance and it makes the most sense to match him up with Jacare in a title eliminator. Still, he did defend the belt multiple times and there really isn't anyone else outside of him, Romero, and Belfort who can be considered currently in the title hunt. Next closest guy is probably Machida and he's dropped three of his last five fights (including his last two) if I'm not mistaken.

I mean, who else is there right now? Robert Whittaker? Fucking Michael Bisping? Who else with any relevance in the division is coming off a win?

ApharmdX

Banned
Proves Weidman is a fluke. Got lucky twice against Silva. He never had a chance at having a reign like Silva did. Lol Rockhold. He won't go more than a single victory before losing it. None of these chumps can hold a candle to Silva, the greatest fighter in the history of the sport.

I can't imagine believing this. Dude, Silva was a terrible champion. He put on embarrassing performances in the Octagon and his cheating stands as a black mark on the whole sport.

You realize Silva cheated his entire career, right?

Personally, I don't really see an ideal option for a first defense. Vitor hasn't earned it, but it's always fun to see a good "what goes around comes around" scenario. That dude has earned all the beatings he's going to take post-juice.

Yeah but positioning Vitor in a place where he could possibly be champ is bad. Even post-juice Vitor is dangerous in the first two minutes. He caught Weidman and could have won if he was smarted. He could catch Luke, again.

VoxPop

Straight up, Yoel Romero has shown that he and his camp are flagrant cheaters across multiple fights now. Despite that and the questionable decision in his favor last night, the matchup still makes the most sense but still... fuck that dude.

Weidman doesn't deserve a rematch after that performance and it makes the most sense to match him up with Jacare in a title eliminator. Still, he did defend the belt multiple times and there really isn't anyone else outside of him, Romero, and Belfort who can be considered currently in the title hunt. Next closest guy is probably Machida and he's dropped three of his last five fights (including his last two) if I'm not mistaken.

I mean, who else is there right now? Robert Whittaker? Fucking Michael Bisping? Who else with any relevance in the division is coming off a win?

Rockhold vs Silva is the fight to make imo.

Fitts

Yeah but positioning Vitor in a place where he could possibly be champ is bad. Even post-juice Vitor is dangerous in the first two minutes. He caught Weidman and could have won if he was smarted. He could catch Luke, again.

You're not wrong and yeah, him getting the strap would be embarrassing. Still, there's undeniably a level of interest in a new champ getting to avenge a loss and Vitor is nowhere near what he was when he was tearing through the division. His chances against Rockhold would be slim now but you're right that things couldn't go as expected.

Rockhold vs Silva is the fight to make imo.

Coming off a no contest and two losses?

...fuck it. If it moves the needle make it happen.

Ithil

Proves Weidman is a fluke. Got lucky twice against Silva. He never had a chance at having a reign like Silva did. Lol Rockhold. He won't go more than a single victory before losing it. None of these chumps can hold a candle to Silva, the greatest fighter in the history of the sport.

You've really been carrying all this hate and salt for two and a half years? Were you hanging on each of Weidman's fights waiting to go "AH-HA! SEE!" in case he eventually lost (much like Silva did, when Weidman knocked his lights out)?

Fitts

Were you hanging on each of Weidman's fights waiting to go "AH-HA! SEE!" in case he eventually lost?

In all fairness, a large subset did exactly this throughout Silva's title reign and Weidman gained a ton of fans merely for the fact that they were previously Silva haters.

McGregor isn't the only that has something to prove. As much as he has to prove that he didn't get lucky, Aldo has to prove that it wasn't just his bad luck.

Immediate rematches are so sought after for a reason. People want to see definitive wins.

There's isn't anything more definitive than telling the press the day before the fight that you know the exact combo a fighter was going to throw and how you would perry the first punch and hit him with your left right on the chin and that the fight would be over after that.

Because that's exactly what Conor did.

If McGregor wins the rematch, there will be no way people can doubt him anymore. There will be no excuses the second time around.

For now though, given Aldo's calibre, that doubt will remain. You don't have to like it. It's just the way it is. If people think Holm got lucky after dominating Ronda from the first into the second (LOL), then they're definitely going to think that of McGregor knocking out one of the greatest fighters of all time with his first punch.

There was absolutely no luck involved in what happened. He ran face first, chin up into a ridiculously skilled counterpuncher with incredible power. It was a calculated move by Conor against a rash but intentional move by Aldo. Who knows what Aldo's plan was there - I think he figured he could take one to land one (and he did). Didn't matter however.

You can't really get more definitive than pretty much a one punch KO. Nobody who has a head on their shoulders thinks Holm got lucky, and I don't think the majority of fans think this is flukey either.

Hey Dude

Banned
I just finished watching last night's fights. There were a lot of surprises.

Weidman got outclassed everywhere. He lost in the standup, he got outgrappled. This fight could have been stopped after round 3. Herb Dean gave Weidman the champion's benefit of the doubt. There can be no rematch here because there are no questions left. This one surprised me because I thought Weidman would win by submission. The standup I knew Chris would lose. He has good timing but TERRIBLE head movement. At this rate he's going to be brain-dead at 50.
wut.

chris was putting a beating on luke in the 3rd prior to the spinning shit fail. if i was watching live id be certain luke was done.

Legit expected this thread to be twice as big, like when Ronda lost. Maybe that says something about Aldo, dude has the charisma of a plank, same with Weedman.

Edit: Don't know if anyone mentioned this yet, but I read a rumor before the fight in one of the biggest local websites (uol.com.br) that if Aldo won he would be moving to boxing.

There's isn't anything more definitive than telling the press the day before the fight that you know the exact combo a fighter was going to throw and how you would perry the first punch and hit him with your left right on the chin and that the fight would be over after that.

Because that's exactly what Conor did.

You know he says 5,000 different things and then the media just chooses the one that was right to make him look like some kind of sage?

There was absolutely no luck involved in what happened. He ran face first, chin up into a ridiculously skilled counterpuncher with incredible power. It was a calculated move by Conor against a rash but intentional move by Aldo. Who knows what Aldo's plan was there - I think he figured he could take one to land one (and he did). Didn't matter however.

You can't really get more definitive than pretty much a one punch KO. Nobody who has a head on their shoulders thinks Holm got lucky, and I don't think the majority of fans think this is flukey either.
I completely agree. There is this weird opinion out there that because the fight was fast it was a fluke. Luck. It wasn't. It was decisive and quick, and I'd rather we get on to Frankie Edgar vs. Conor. Aldo himself said in the ring he didn't expect that counter. Aldo made a bad move, Conor countered. Match over. If we want a re-match for this, we should want a re-match for just about every fight ever.

Holy fucking shit. Just got caught up. Amazing ko from my man McGregor. Aldo never once looked like he wanted to be there. I fucking love Conor.

Also happy to see Weidman take a beating. Always had the impression he was getting by on youth & vanity (not to completely discount his talent & training, just in regards to being champ).

Finally Romero is a fence-clinging, water-throwing, chair-sitting sneak. Soldier of God my pale hairy arse.

operon

This fight really shook up a lot of Aldo fans. Don't know who is in bigger shock, them or Aldo. You could tell as soon as he got in that octagon he was spooked. Did not want to be there.

What other 5,000 ways did he tell the press he would finish the fight?

“Within four minutes the shots will have landed,” McGregor said.

“It’s on him after that. I feel anything after the four-minute mark of that first round will be a formality.

The guy just talks about knocking people out in a bunch of different ways and then when one of those ways ends up being right people go oh my god how did he do it.

Reminds me of another famous "psychic" who throws shit up to see what sticks.

john_edward_psychic.jpg

dabig2

I'm surprised Aldo tried to bang out of the gate like that. His feint combo I thought was the setup for his famous kicks, but instead he decides to throw a left and leave his chin wide open to a southpaw with some well-known heavy hands? Hell, he rotated into it because of the physics of his motion. Dumb strategy - at least that early when Conor is at his sharpest and freshest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom