• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 258: Usman vs. Burns

Usman or Burns

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
EsmXqQDVEAApo9C.jpeg

EswIy4VU4AcAvle.png

Bit threadbare for a PPV, Barber v Grasso is a good match. Ppv co-main though, hmm indeed.

Easy fight for Usman before he gets the chance to break Covington’s face again.
Burns has had a while to get his gameplan ready, hopefully means it'll be mostly striking with a high level of wrestling/grappling interspersed. Usman is coached by Wittman & he's quite cerebral in approach, so I'm excited to see what happens.

I want the winner of Chimaev v Edwards to fight Usman. Colby v Chimaev would be delicious.

I'm saving the next gift for when jan is gonna murder bitchsanya.
Calling a professional cage fighter a bitch has always been utter hilarity. I wanted Costa to win but Adesanya made him look like a Tachi Palace Fights level opponent. Jon Jones didn't even really want to move up in weight (admittedly a larger jump from LHW to HW) yet here is Adesanya going up. The exact opposite of a bitch.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Calling a professional cage fighter a bitch has always been utter hilarity. I wanted Costa to win but Adesanya made him look like a Tachi Palace Fights level opponent. Jon Jones didn't even really want to move up in weight (admittedly a larger jump from LHW to HW) yet here is Adesanya going up. The exact opposite of a bitch.
I don't like the dude, it was more an insult to his persona than his fighting style (although against romero he fough like a lil bitch after all the big talks of a KO before the fight).
Also gnagna moved up to LHW when jones moved up to HW to face a guy in jan that with all the respect i have is not on the same caliber of jones, coincidence? maybe...or maybe not.

And you can be 100% sure that costa wasn't himself that night, you don't get scared against a counter puncher just because after facing people like romero and hall face first style...something had to happen (costa said that something happened before the fight).

Last edited:

manfestival

This card is just ok. They are leaning too heavily on the main event to carry this one. In fact, Belaal Muhammed v Dhiego Lima or even Jim Miller v Bobby Green(could still happen with covid protocol) are more deserving of slot 5 of the main card than Maki Pitolo v Juan Marquez

Usman v Gilbert: Usman. I can't vote for Gilbert after he did my boy Maia dirty like that. On a more serious note. Usman has been very dominant rising to the top. Burns has not won in as dominant fashion but has proven himself as a contender.
Barber v Grasso: I admit I know nothing about either. I looked at their records and strength of victories and that leaves even more questions. I think this is a fight propped up for the optics. With that said, I will watch but with little overall interest.
Gastelum v Heinisch: Gastelum but with some caveats. He is on a hard losing streak and probably poised to be let go from the organization. The problem with Gastelum? In a good camp with proper motivation, he competes with the best of the best. The problem is his motivation. Heinisch isn't anyone with a real name ... yet. Gastelum is a shining example of someone who is naturally gifted with so much ability but wastes it with lack of effort and preparation half the time.
Munhoz v Rivera: FIGHT OF THE NIGHT and hard to pick... if I have to pick a winner then it would be Rivera. Both guys are great fighters that had some recent tough losses but have solid records.
Pitolo v Marquez: Don't care about this fight. Will watch just because but meh

I don't like the dude, it was more an insult to his persona than his fighting style (although against romero he fough like a lil bitch after all the big talks of a KO before the fight).
Also gnagna moved up to LHW when jones moved up to HW to face a guy in jan that with all the respect i have is not on the same caliber of jones, coincidence? maybe...or maybe not.

And you can be 100% sure that costa wasn't himself that night, you don't get scared against a counter puncher just because after facing people like romero and hall face first style...something had to happen (costa said that something happened before the fight).
Fair enough. I was having flashbacks from my days on Sherdog and people calling every fightee who ever strapped on gloves a "pussy" or a "bitch."

Something did look off with Costa for sure. I'd like to see a rematch but he needs to earn it. That Costa v Romero fight was a banger.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
If the gods are real Maycee Barber gets decked again.
Shes too green to be "The Future" and the UFC trying to hype her up is doing nothing but hurting her career as more people realize she needed to have had some deep competish in the UFC before really being hyped.

This hyping people up too early is a kiss of death.

How did she earn a Co-main event spot?

P.S Usman takes this one.
Then im pretty sure he has cleaned the division and can call it a day.
Dont believe they hype with Burns.
I dont think Usman would bother trading with him, and belive Usman could out wrestle him over 5 rounds.

Wont be the most entertaining fight but burns aint got anything Usman cant counter.

manfestival

Shes too green to be "The Future" and the UFC trying to hype her up is doing nothing but hurting her career as more people realize she needed to have had some deep competish in the UFC before really being hyped.

I dont think Usman would bother trading with him, and belive Usman could out wrestle him over 5 rounds.

Wont be the most entertaining fight but burns aint got anything Usman cant counter.
Facts. reminds me of Sage Northcutt. We all know how bad that failed. Among other rising stars. They overhype and send these people to their doom. The only one that was reasonably worthy in his rise was Johnny Walker but he did it the right way by getting 2 huge KOs and then dislocating his shoulder during his worm dance celebration.

GymWolf

Gold Member

Yep, i hope my girl grasso would fuck her up.

In what fucking world a barber match is a co-main event when a fight with gastelum is also on the card?!

Last edited:
How come Usman left his camp.
Aint he the champ....wouldnt the other guy need to leave the gym?

A few things came together, he talks about it on one of the embedded vlogs up there. Rashad Evans left the gym he trained at with Jon Jones when they fought & shared his experience with Kamaru as they're mates. I respect the move & am excited to see what working with Wittman & that gym for 2 camps will mean for Kam.

Facts. reminds me of Sage Northcutt. We all know how bad that failed. Among other rising stars. They overhype and send these people to their doom. The only one that was reasonably worthy in his rise was Johnny Walker but he did it the right way by getting 2 huge KOs and then dislocating his shoulder during his worm dance celebration.
Yeh there's been a few. Till the chin gets tested we won't know for sure. Ribas was the latest, won't be the last.

At least he's still undefeated..

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Arkam

UFC is nearly unwatchable having to listen to DC and Joe Rogan commentate. Rogan's got one of the most grating voices I've ever heard. DANA! Give us commentary-free UFC events and I'll consider paying for them.
Joe I like well enough, but agree on DC. He is subpar and shouldnt be their regular guy. This is where I think Bellator has the UFC beat. Chael, Thompson, big john are solid commentators with chemistry. Sure they are not Bas and Quadros, but they are decent enough.

Top Bottom