• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC Fight night 143 - OT

first reaction is he's a piece of shit, and he's just acted like a piece of shit.

He’s absolutely a piece of shit, but I don’t think that was a pre-mediated decision. In the sense that I don’t think he knew he was breaking a rule.

I think he just made a terribly foolish mistake

Last edited:

YayNJ

Banned
He’s absolutely a piece of shit, but I don’t think that was a pre-mediated decision. In the sense that I don’t think he knew he was breaking a rule.

I think he just made a terribly foolish mistake

It's his 7th MMA fight (4th as a pro) and he's had two solid years of training and coaching. He's with American Top Team FFS.. Come on, he's not some novice fighting in a smalltown circuit.

Dudes just got a scummy streak going through him. Crowder trash talked him just before, and Hardy saw the mist.

/edit - said 4 in UFC, meant 4 as a pro.

Last edited:
It's his 7th MMA fight (4th in the UFC) and he's had two solid years of training and coaching. Come on, he's not some novice fighting in a smalltown circuit.

Dudes just got a scummy streak going through him. Crowder trash talked him just before, and Hardy saw the mist.

He’s extremely young in mma years

The Dana Contender Series fights count as UFC fights? You can’t train to be in the situation Hardy was in, he has zero experience being in deep waters against live opponent. He panicked.

The guy lifts one knee off the ground like maybe he’s about to stand up. Hardy clearly misinterpreted the situation.

Eddie Alvarez did similar thing to Poirier. It happens

For the record, I hate the guy. Was glad his NFL days ended

Last edited:
TJ always been a sore loser and it’s always bugged me. Every loss he has something to say

I need to watch that again. I can’t even tell what clipped him at first

Expanding on my 125 thoughts:

There’s no guarantee that Cejudo will be as dominant at 135 as he is at 125. Let’s pretend that he’s not, let’s pretend that they kill 125 and Cejudo goes up and loses to T.J. at 135. Now you have one less potentially dominant champ, a champ with marketing appeal in the Mexican/Latino market, and instead just have another good 135er with no belt

Maybe set the match with T.J. at 135 before killing 125. If Cejudo wins at 135, ok you can kill the 125 division

Last edited:
Oh, and as far as I’m concerned, Henry Cejudo is officially the most underrated fighter on the UFC roster now.

I mean WTF. Beats the GOAT then starches the 135 champ in 30 seconds?

People on twitter saying that TJ slipped and Cejudo pounced from there, but I agree that it looks like a head kick landed first

Wow. Good night of fights man

megamerican

When they were showing the clip of just the stoppage it looked a little iffy, but going back and rewatching the whole match it's much more definitive and justified.

YayNJ

Banned
Hardy is hardly going to admit he lost it is he? That whole fight stank. Crowder was thrown in to lose, and lose without doubt. Literally there to be a showreel KO. Hardy was - 475? before the fight.

mekes

Huge props to Henry. I worried for him in this fight but I shouldn’t have. I still have his first fight with DJ in mind when I think of him, it’s crazy how much he has progressed since then. Hope he gets to stay at 125, people deserve what they earn and he has earned the right to compete at that weight.

Huge props to Henry. I worried for him in this fight but I shouldn’t have. I still have his first fight with DJ in mind when I think of him, it’s crazy how much he has progressed since then. Hope he gets to stay at 125, people deserve what they earn and he has earned the right to compete at that weight.

yep. dude is scary. he went from getting knockout by the best to beating the best. i thought tj was going to outclass him. totally wrong but he is a winner

Last edited:

Dana’s thoughts on stoppage

When looking at the slow mo, yeah most of these punches aren’t landing but there is clearly a right hand from Henry that drops T.J. again and this was after the initial headkick.

Ref probably should have let it go longer but it’s not the worst stoppage I’ve ever seen, definitely not

manfestival

I didnt get to watch the fights. They play them on fox sports free for all in Bolivia regardless of PPV status. Just had a rough night.

I agree with Dana's sentiment but TJ has been in this position before. The guy has conditioning of a madman do I can see him recover just fine from that but... you cant leave doubt in the minds.

Hardy is trash and glad he got the DQ. As a fighter, you know the rules. Even if they seem stupid, its uncommon to see DQs for the reason of common sense.

YayNJ

Banned
Dana's just butthurt that Henry won for the 125, and because TJ is one of his favorites.

Last night was brilliant for fans of MMA, and a terrible night for Dana.

That for me = a fantastic night all round, tbh.

I’ve watched this like 800x today

More I watch, the more I think it’s a fine stoppage.

At 8 seconds I can’t figure out what sends TJ to the ground, just a little shove from Henry?

Also,

It feels like Conor vs Cowboy is actually gonna happen

Last edited:

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
it was a good stoppage. at one point henry barely shoves him and TJ falls to the floor. he clearly got rocked from that first head kick. TJ is delusional.

that being said, Cejudo on PED's. same with TJ.

YayNJ

Banned
Even if the ref didn't stop it, Henry would have just kept on bashing his face in and rag-dolling him. TJ was out of it and got knocked down three times in 30 seconds - sure, one of them might have been a shove but it still messes with your balance. The third time (when the ref steps in) Henry is on top, over his head, ground and pounding, with TJ showing his whole back and in a daze. The only difference to the way that fight could have gone that I can see, is that it might have lasted another 10 seconds.

Last edited:
Even if the ref didn't stop it, Henry would have just kept on bashing his face in and rag-dolling him. TJ was out of it and got knocked down three times in 30 seconds - sure one of them might have been a shove. The third time (when the ref steps in) Henry is on top, over his head, ground and pounding, with TJ showing his whole back and in a daze. The only difference that fight could have gone is that it might have lasted another 10 seconds.

Yeah I agree. Especially after watching it all morning (I have no life).

I don’t want a rematch.

Book Cejudo vs Benavidez 2 for 125 title. Joe B barely won the split in first fight. I think Cejudo wins convincingly now

Give T.J. a couple months off and book him to start camp against winner of Assuncao vs Moraes at 135

manfestival

I watched that video a couple times. I do feel it is slightly early stoppage. The idea is that the fighter cannot intelligently defend themselves. Yes he was scrambling to survive from being hurt twice. Yet I think he was still in the game.

Never forgot zombie kongo

TrainedRage

Banned
it was a good stoppage. at one point henry barely shoves him and TJ falls to the floor. he clearly got rocked from that first head kick. TJ is delusional.

that being said, Cejudo on PED's. same with TJ.
Cejudo looks like he is. But TJ just looks shredded because he had to drop all that body weight. He isn't overly big or varicose just lean and cut. Cejudo looked like a 5'2" King Kong.

I watched that video a couple times. I do feel it is slightly early stoppage. The idea is that the fighter cannot intelligently defend themselves. Yes he was scrambling to survive from being hurt twice. Yet I think he was still in the game.

Never forgot zombie kongo

giphy.gif

Top Bottom