• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK-GAF, what's the attitude of young people today towards your classic literature and entertainment?

GreyHorace

I ask this because veteran British TV writer Gareth Roberts (Doctor Who, Coronation Street), posted this tweet with a quote from BBC head of Drama, Piers Wenger.

Apparently the guy thinks they at the BBC have a responsibility to 'adapt' period literature to fit a contemporary audience. Nevermind the fact they were written hundreds of years ago before such things as 'diversity' and 'inclusion' were a thing. I guess he'll want to insert POC's in their next adaptations of Jane Austen's works.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, as last year the Baftas made a move to impose diversity quotas on TV shows if they wanted to qualify for an award.

TV shows will have to meet diversity targets on gender, race and sexuality among characters to be able to win Baftas, the awards academy declares

So I wonder how our fellow Brits here on GAF feel about this woke attitude that seems to infect British entertainment? Also, how do young people in your country feel about your classic literature and shows? Because there's this prevailing attitude nowadays of denigrating entertainment from the bast for being too white and lacking 'diversity.'

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
I really object when I hear "represent a contemporary world" in a positive way, because what does "contemporary" mean? If it means exporting slave labor to other countries, widespread environmental pollution, and the destruction of the family unit as being important, then no absolutely, that is not important to me.

i hear ye, i don't think it's any of the things you listed insofar as we're talking about disposable entertainment

some don't wanna dig into crypts for gold, they wanna etch out what's forageable right here, right now

Tesseract

Banned
i object to any kind of repurposing of material, wouldn't want newton's principia stuffed with memes or feynman's lectures bolted with contemp. jargon

Tesseract

Banned
If I was her Literature professor I'd fail her on the spot.

But seeing as how Identitarian Politics has infested academia nowadays, they'd probably call her 'stunning' and 'brave'.

she's in a doctoral program, so i think she's just tired of trodden territory

i get it, to some extent

you are correct tho

i hear ye, i don't think it's any of the things you listed insofar as we're talking about disposable entertainment

some don't wanna dig into crypts for gold, they wanna etch out what's forageable right here, right now
I wish entertainment was just entertainment. The fusion of academia, arts, and entertainment has resulted in lowest-common-denominator quality for all three.

Fuck the BBC. They've been hell-bent of shoving the Pro-EU, Pro-Globalist, Pro-mass unchecked immigration and Pro-LGBTQ stuff down the throats of paid viewers, for way too long.

They are meant to be unbias, that went out of the window decades ago.

There's something about denying or destroying a nations/societies history, so that you can forge a new history to shape the future.

The BBC are treasonous cunts and the top management need culling.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Modernizing things can be done well if treated properly but gender swapping and making white characters not white for low bar progressive points is lazy and doesn't challenge the writer or the audience.

War of the Worlds in particular has been getting some heavy adaptations recently putting it in present day and trying to keep it within its original setting.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
This makes sense if it is an adaptation that changes the setting and/or time period. But I dont think that is what she means....

It does confirm that there is a literal checklist that must be filled out when making a project. Ridiculous! Cant wait for my stuffy British royalty show to feature multiethnic casting with diverse sexualities. Transgender Peruvian Queen Victoria here we come!

DKehoe

They still seem to be read by a decent number of people and taught in schools. People have been doing contemporary twists on classics for ages. So there’s not really been some radical shift. As with many things, real life doesn’t mirror the online discourse. But I realise that’s the boring answer.

Tesseract

Banned
They still seem to be read by a decent number of people and taught in schools. People have been doing contemporary twists on classics for ages. So there’s not really been some radical shift. As with many things, real life doesn’t mirror the online discourse. But I realise that’s the boring answer.

it's true tho, bears repeating

Breakage

The thing is it's a section of the white population who thinks heterosexuality and whiteness needs to be dialled back or eliminated entirely from Western classical literature and entertainment.
Increasingly in today's Britain, black is good and “cool” (and therefore deserving of endless flattery) and white is bad. This new kind of thinking is most visible in the world of British advertising. If you want to understand the mentality of a modern white British leftist, then just look at the adverts. It's as if scenarios where everyone is white are now forbidden.

Last edited:
The thing is it's a section of the white population who thinks heterosexuality and whiteness needs to be dialled back or eliminated entirely from Western classical literature and entertainment.
Increasingly in today's Britain, black is good and “cool” (and therefore deserving of endless flattery) and white is bad. This new kind of thinking is most visible in the world of British advertising. If you want to understand the mentality of a modern white British leftist, then just look at the adverts. It's as if scenarios where everyone is white are now forbidden.
The adverts.....Jesus Christ the advert. I get it. They need to show more POC. I'm a black man born and bred in the London. But even I say to my white English wife that this is overkill. She laughs of course hearing that from me.
Growing up in the 80s I always knew black was cool. Abs white people knew it to, they just didn't want to admit it until the 90s, when every advert had a cheesy rap in it.

Papa

Banned
Seems to me that only whites are buying into the equality dogma at the group level. Non-whites seem to still see themselves as non-white and, coupled with the mistaken conflation of race and culture, want to replace native culture with their own. It’s a slow cultural suicide egged on by self-hating white leftists. I fear that Brexit was only the first step in the backlash and much worse may eventually happen if the cultural erasure and replacement doesn’t stop one way or another.

GreyHorace

Seems to me that only whites are buying into the equality dogma at the group level. Non-whites seem to still see themselves as non-white and, coupled with the mistaken conflation of race and culture, want to replace native culture with their own. It’s a slow cultural suicide egged on by self-hating white leftists. I fear that Brexit was only the first step in the backlash and much worse may eventually happen if the cultural erasure and replacement doesn’t stop one way or another.
Why the hate for their own culture? I personally think British culture is awesome.

Some disclosure, in our household we've been longtime fans of British film and television. My dad was a big fan of those UK miniseries they used to air on public television. Shows like I, Claudius and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy starring Alec Guiness.

MV5BMzMyNzRmYWUtMDFiZC00MjdmLWEzOWUtZDY4MTQ1ZjI5MDlkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTA4NzY1MzY@._V1_.jpg

I inherited the love for British entertainment from my dad, though I gravitated more to mystery shows like the Granada Sherlock Holmes series starring Jeremy Brett and the Brother Cadfael mysteries with Derek Jacobi. Monty Python's Flying Circus remains one of the funniest shows I've ever seen, and then there's this little program called Doctor Who.

s-l600.jpg

But British TV now? I barely recognize it. I guess I got burnt out after watching crap like Steven Moffat's modern take on Sherlock Holmes (Elementary was way better) and the current Doctor Who is awful (I'm not forgiving Chibnall for the black woman Doctor retcon). Like S Slings and Arrows said in his post above, maybe the BBC is complicit along with the rest of the liberals in slowly eroding the country by destroying it's cultural heritage.

Top Bottom