• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

62% of people pretend to have read classic novels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, it's the UK but I can see this being applied in many places. Though, I'm sure Books-GAF have read all of these ;)

tolstoy-war-and-peace-bookcover.jpg

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...f-of-us-lie-about-reading-classic-novels.html

Daily Mail said:
The survey was commissioned to mark the launch of American geek sitcom The Big Bang Theory season 6 on DVD this week.

Telegraph said:
In a bid to appear more intelligent, more than 60 per cent of people have lied about reading classic novels. A leading research team polled 2,000 members of the British public to find out the tactics people employ to appear more intelligent, with some enlightening results.

The most popular ruse is pretending to have read classic novels, with 42 per cent of people relying on film and TV adaptations, or summaries found online, to feign knowledge of the novels. Surprisingly, half of the adults questioned admit to having displayed books on their shelves without ever having read them.

The top ten books people claim to have read, but haven't, are:
  • 1984 by George Orwell – 26%
  • War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy – 19%
  • Great Expectations by Charles Dickens – 18%
  • Catcher in the Rye by J D Salinger – 15%
  • A Passage to India by E M Forster – 12%
  • Lord of the Rings by J R R Tolkein – 11%
  • To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee – 10%
  • Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky – 8%
  • Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen – 8%
  • Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë – 5%
Telegraph said:
Titles that just missed the cut are The Bible (3%), Homer’s Odyssey (3%) and Wuthering Heights (2%).
Kind of a bitch thing to lie about, but then I guess there are many ways we lie to look more intelligent that are covered in that survey.

I've never read the books in this list (these weren't the ones I was forced to in school), except for Great Expectations because Dickens books were fun to read as a kid.

Why would you lie about Crime and Punishment? It's 720 pages. War and Peace is 1408 fucking pages! Someone is going to call you out on that.

Daily Mail said:
Women are more likely than men to bluff that they are well-read when they have often only seen literary classics dramatised in films or on TV.

But men are more likely to fib when bragging of their academic achievements and jobs.

They are also twice as likely as women to cite famous quotations to appear wise and worldly.

Daily Mail said:
Behavioural psychologist Jo Hemmings said: ‘The study shows that being intelligent has never been more sexy and that the vast majority of us are working hard to appear smarter than we actually are.

‘From expertise in literature and wine to a penchant for correct grammar and art-house or foreign language films, wannabe geeks are exaggerating their worldly qualities in order to appear more nerdy.’

Now, that's quite interesting. Geek is the new cool and all (movies/games/comic books), but didn't know books factored into that now.

Jburton

Banned
Classic novels are boring. Don't force yourself to read them. You only have one life.

The Lord of The Rings is a great read.

Never liked the Catcher in The Rye,made to read it at school.

The Odyssey is also a great read, although I helps if you enjoy mythology in general.

The rest of that list I have never read.

rakhir

I've read and liked LotR and 1984, and i've read and disliked Cather in the rye - it was really kinda pointless in my eyes.
Never touched anything more from this list.

Bleepey

I haven't read any of the books on that list. I started but didn't finish the Fellowship but I did read the hobbit. I am kinda ashamed of the ones I haven't read like To kill a mockingbird and 1984.

Peru

If you pick one of those to actually read for the first time... Great Expectations is a lot of fun, page turning stuff.

AnkitT

I've only managed to read 1984 out of the ones listed. Though I only started reading books seriously a few years ago, so maybe in a couple of years i'll be further along the list.

faridmon

Kind of a bitch thing to lie about, but then I guess there are many ways we lie to look more intelligent that are covered in that survey.

I've never read the books in this list (these weren't the ones I was forced to in school), except for Great Expectations because Dickens books were fun to read as a kid.

Why would you lie about Crime and Punishment? It's 720 pages. War and Peace is 1408 fucking pages! Someone is going to call you out on that.

Actually the longer the book is, isn't easier to lie about since
no one would remember anything about? I mean its bloody long, if someone asks, you could just say its so long can't remember anything about that passage. Also, you could quote the number of pages it has and then you would appear that you did read it.

People lie and brag about stupid things that never happened. Bragging about whether you do read a lot of books its just one of them. I never do, since I read a lot of Police Procederul which happens to be written in the 60s and 70s which is enough for me :D

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
1984 by George Orwell – Read it.
War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy – Not yet. Probably not ever.
Great Expectations by Charles Dickens – Read it.
Catcher in the Rye by J D Salinger – Read it.
A Passage to India by E M Forster – Never heard of it.
Lord of the Rings by J R R Tolkein – Read it. And some of his other works.
To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee – Read it.
Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky – Nope.
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen – Never.
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë – Never.

Zeliard

I've actually read 1984 by George Orwell. I'm so fly.

1984 was a part of my English curriculum in high school, along with Animal Farm. I imagine it was the same for a decent amount of people.

I'm a bit surprised to see 1984 that high up in the poll. It's a relatively short novel and Orwell's prose is famously clear and precise. All of you non-book reading plebes should give it a shot.

I honestly won't associate with anyone that doesn't read. It's such an enormous turn off. It's also one thing to be stupid, but it's another thing entirely to be brazenly stupid.

1984 by George Orwell – 26%
Catcher in the Rye by J D Salinger – 15%
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen – 8%

I've only read these three. Made it through 2/3 of LotR before I stopped; it was so wordy.

Lear

Classic novels are boring. Don't force yourself to read them. You only have one life.

Bollocks. I mean, by all means don't read them if you don't want to, but don't dismiss all non-contemporary literature as 'boring'.

I've read 8/10 (haven't read A Passage to India - though I've read other Forster novels - or Catcher in the Rye) but I'm better read than a lot of people. I don't particularly see the point in lying about having read a book. I'll judge you for not reading at all, but not for what you have/haven't read (the one exception being Twilight and 50 Shades - if you enjoy that nonsense then you deserve my disdain).

Tesseract

Banned
i haven't read any of those. florida don't need fiction, we gots enough real life fictionals in the birds, waves, stars.

fml

Jasup

I honestly won't associate with anyone that doesn't read. It's such an enormous turn off. It's also one thing to be stupid, but it's another thing entirely to be brazenly stupid.

I've actually heard an elementary school teacher boast how he hasn't read any book cover to cover ever.

Chichikov

Lol pretending to have read Lord of the Rings .. Why would anyone do that?
Yeah.
I'm really puzzled by that one.

1984 by George Orwell – Read it.
War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy – Not yet. Probably not ever.
Great Expectations by Charles Dickens – Read it.
Catcher in the Rye by J D Salinger – Read it.
A Passage to India by E M Forster – Never heard of it.
Lord of the Rings by J R R Tolkein – Read it. And some of his other works.
To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee – Read it.
Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky – Nope.
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen – Never.
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë – Never.
You mostly chose wisely.
Crime and Punishment is truly great, believe the hype, but you're not missing much with others you haven't read if you ask me.
Well, I guess there is significance to those books, some more than other, but they're not particularly good reads in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom