• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK HW and SW sales for July 2023 - PS5#1 NSW#2 XBS#3 / Fifa 23#1 GTAV#2 RDR2#3 (PS5 very slightly up, NSW down 15%, Xbox down 12%)

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I guess my joke didn't land. I know how it goes lol. I was saying the turtle is Ms and ms's current strategy is to buy the market.
And I Failed You The Dark Knight Rises GIF

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Nah, we could see DMA/DMCC-style regulation force open the console store markets. There's a lot of regulatory interest in the gaming market now. Was only a matter of time.

I mean be wrong, but I NEVER EVER see that happening lol

Do you mean the N64 had stronger exclusives relative PS1, than Series X/S have relative to PS5? If that's the case, I'd agree wholeheartedly.

For me I think Sony's problem is not enough mid-tier/AA 1P titles, and not leveraging legacy IP enough. I also think their PC strategy is somewhat flawed, and they're jumping in too headstrong on GaaS titles (instead of say, 12 GaaS to 13 traditional, it should've been balanced as 18 traditional to 7 GaaS). I also get the increasing feeling they're taking some of their Japanese support for granted, in terms of getting exclusive games & content from that side, or even being the leading platform in some cases. Things that help give PS points of distinguishing in the market place, basically.

Project Q should've been a PS4-level portable. Basically what the Nomad was for the Genesis/Megadrive but with much better battery life and slimmer form factor, obviously. Something to play all PS4 games on the go natively, and maybe even some PS5 games assuming they aren't high-performance types (otherwise those would have to be streamed via cloud and Remote Play).

A device like that, they could've sold for $349 or $399 sold at a profit. Doesn't need high volumes of production like a PS5, but would guarantee a larger volume than the PSVR2 easily. Could probably do 25-30 million lifetime for that type of device, conservative estimate. Maybe 40-45 million in a best-case, but we're talking about something with a 6-7 year lifespan. Yes those are nowhere near Switch numbers but they wouldn't need to be; the only new games would be low-performance PS5 games that can scale easily to it, and cross-gen games (likely annual sports releases, or new indie titles, etc.). Just give it a really good screen and buttons, great wifi features and make it pair nicely with PS4 & PS5 systems and it's good.

Even better is, they could also repurpose the hardware for a high-end smartphone variant distributed with mobile carriers on subscription plans, and models sold directly with large profit margins. With that mixed in they could absolutely hit 40 or so million over a 6-7 year period between that and a more gaming-centric model. I just hope Project Q is a warm-up to an eventual, actual PS4-type handheld, but I have large doubts it'll ever happen now.

Yes, that is what I mean.

I think Sony has a really bad PC strategy. They didn't really think they needed to build up a reputation in the PC space. They should have started out with their bangers, like they did, but where is Bloodborne, Demon's Souls, GT7, Dreams, Ghost of Tsushima... Why are they playing around with Sackboy? I thought Returnal would do better on PC, but I think they've really hurt themselves with their selection and efforts.

I'm not sure a PS4 level portable would help them out really. Could also limit PS5 games.

Nah, we could see DMA/DMCC-style regulation force open the console store markets. There's a lot of regulatory interest in the gaming market now. Was only a matter of time.
Nintendo would never allow that to happen to their consoles, they would rather just shut down their digital storefront and make games only accessible via physical copies to counter that kind of regulation. Either that, or keep the digital storefront only for the Japan market and disable it everywhere else in the world. Not completely sure if Sony would follow Nintendo, but they would likely at least give it some serious thought because even though such a move to shut down their digital storefront would be an extreme move, I think Sony + Nintendo would absolutely seethe at the idea of opening up their hardware consoles to other storefront as it would be an affront to how they operate their console platform business for decades.

For those that consider what I wrote delusional, you're free to believe what you want, but keep in mind that Sony has already disabled the web browser for their PS5 console when it was available to access on the PS4 console (and I think it was present in PS3 as well), and it's been a few years now since the PS5 was released so it's probably not a matter of needing time to update their dashboard.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Project Q should've been a PS4-level portable. Basically what the Nomad was for the Genesis/Megadrive but with much better battery life and slimmer form factor, obviously. Something to play all PS4 games on the go natively, and maybe even some PS5 games assuming they aren't high-performance types (otherwise those would have to be streamed via cloud and Remote Play).
A device like that, they could've sold for $349 or $399 sold at a profit.
I'm not sure how any of that would work.
PS4 power handheld puts you in 25+W TDP (10-15W chipset + the rest).
Even with a large 60Wh battery(SteamDeck's is 50% smaller) that's a 2.5hr device, so a lot like the Nomad, and with a form factor to match (closer to Steam Deck than a Switch).
I can't speak for pricing - but this power class of handhelds goes for over 2x the price you listed there - and while Sony would certainly have better economies of scale - 349$ being sold for profit sounds far fetched.

And then there's the market positioning of this thing - if it's a PS4 library compatible device, where does the software support come from in the future? If it's PS4 BC + a new 'S' SKU for PS5 - messaging gets confusing with all the existing titles that only get the 'PS4' version unless patched. Also this is a sub Series-S power envelope, so if people complain how that console holds everything back - now you'd have something even worse out there.
Alternatively - they could divorce this from desktop library completely - but we've all seen how that goes for Sony handhelds a decade ago - and it wasn't pretty.

Last edited:

SenkiDala

-PS5 sales are up 68% compared with the same period last year.
-Microsoft's console saw sales tumble 12% in July compared with June. So far this year, Xbox console sales are down 22.8%.

del-bosque-warp-face.gif
Nah, you're misreading, Xbox sales are gonna blow away PS5 sales because people are so excited about Startfield.

Btw I am very excited about Startfield, but Xbox toping PS5 sales ? There's still a long way to go.

Vox Machina

Banned
I mean be wrong, but I NEVER EVER see that happening lol

Yeah I don't see it happening soon, but the parallels to the mobile market in the console market are undeniable. It's not inconceivable that regulation intended to open markets elsewhere could be adapted.

Nintendo would never allow that to happen to their consoles, they would rather just shut down their digital storefront and make games only accessible via physical copies to counter that kind of regulation. Either that, or keep the digital storefront only for the Japan market and disable it everywhere else in the world. Not completely sure if Sony would follow Nintendo, but they would likely at least give it some serious thought because even though such a move to shut down their digital storefront would be an extreme move, I think Sony + Nintendo would absolutely seethe at the idea of opening up their hardware consoles to other storefront as it would be an affront to how they operate their console platform business for decades.

For those that consider what I wrote delusional, you're free to believe what you want, but keep in mind that Sony has already disabled the web browser for their PS5 console when it was available to access on the PS4 console (and I think it was present in PS3 as well), and it's been a few years now since the PS5 was released so it's probably not a matter of needing time to update their dashboard.

Yeah I could definitely see Nintendo doing that, would be an incredible middle finger to the regulators lmao. On the other hand it would basically drive some percentage of the digital only consumers to never buy another piece of Nintendo software.

Last edited:

Ronin_7

Banned
I have a theory that Microsoft has tightened the noose around Xbox and is now demanding better financial returns.

There are multiple evidence of it and even hints by Phil Spencer that point to that. Increasing Xbox console price is a result of that, in my opinion.
I've been saying this, the KPIs must have been horrible... I lead with this kind of stuff everyday and man companies take that shit very seriously no matter the financial situation.

I can tell you all that Microsoft must be pissed at Xbox Big Time.

They probably cut the budget, that explains price increases & zero marketing.

Vox Machina

Banned
I've been saying this, the KPIs must have been horrible... I lead with this kind of stuff everyday and man companies take that shit very seriously no matter the financial situation.

I can tell you all that Microsoft must be pissed at Xbox Big Time.

They probably cut the budget, that explains price increases & zero marketing.

This is some WILD fan-fiction. They just okayed a 75 BILLION dollar acquisition for the business unit and named the head of the business unit CEO of the new expanded business.

mckmas8808

I'm not sure how any of that would work.
PS4 power handheld puts you in 25+W TDP (10-15W chipset + the rest).
Even with a large 60Wh battery(SteamDeck's is 50% smaller) that's a 2.5hr device, so a lot like the Nomad, and with a form factor to match (closer to Steam Deck than a Switch).
I can't speak for pricing - but this power class of handhelds goes for over 2x the price you listed there - and while Sony would certainly have better economies of scale - 349$ being sold for profit sounds far fetched.

And then there's the market positioning of this thing - if it's a PS4 library compatible device, where does the software support come from in the future? If it's PS4 BC + a new 'S' SKU for PS5 - messaging gets confusing with all the existing titles that only get the 'PS4' version unless patched. Also this is a sub Series-S power envelope, so if people complain how that console holds everything back - now you'd have something even worse out there.
Alternatively - they could divorce this from desktop library completely - but we've all seen how that goes for Sony handhelds a decade ago - and it wasn't pretty.

Thank you for this post! I'm not sure why any human on Earth this a PS4 Portable is something people actually want. Especially when SteamDeck and ROG Ally are getting new PC games now.

onQ123

Thank you for this post! I'm not sure why any human on Earth this a PS4 Portable is something people actually want. Especially when SteamDeck and ROG Ally are getting new PC games now.

A portable PS4 would outsell SteamDeck's lifetime sales probably in the 1st 2 months

mckmas8808

A portable PS4 would outsell SteamDeck's lifetime sales probably in the 1st 2 months

Probably......but then what? After it sells 3 million skus in a few months......then what? What purpose would it serve to Sony?

Fake

Probably......but then what? After it sells 3 million skus in a few months......then what? What purpose would it serve to Sony?

I trying to understand your point. PS5 sell at 80% vs PS5 DE at 20%, but somehow is worth selling 2 SKU because is good to give consumers option.

PSVR2 in a few months... then what as well?

BTW, people don't buy Steam Deck to play ultra high definition graphics. Steam Deck have been used to play more old games than you my imagine.
PS4 have a huge list of games that you can play right now and devs are not giving up the PS4.

With PS4 portable Sony could increase the lifetime of the base PS4, devs would continue to make PS4 games as they already are doing. Don't even try to tell me otherwise because Jedi Survive is coming to old gen consoles, they still have a good install base.

Because it would cost over $400 and not play the new Playstation games of 2024 and newer.

You don't even know what the fuck are you talking about. PS4 portable would use the jaguar apu in a mobile fashion with btw AMD would sell their components to Sony at low price as the technology inside PS4 is outdated and already very very cheap.
Nobody is asking PS4 portable to use Ryzen. Jaguar APU plus a 720p screen would be perfect as PS4 tend to run games between 1080p/900p.

Last edited:

onQ123

PS4 software is still selling & a handheld would give it an extended life & devs can continue to enjoy a cheaper to develop for platform with a large userbase.

mckmas8808

I trying to understand your point. PS5 sell at 80% vs PS5 DE at 20%, but somehow is worth selling 2 SKU because is good to give consumers option.

PSVR2 in a few months... then what as well?

BTW, people don't buy Steam Deck to play ultra high definition graphics. Steam Deck have been used to play more old games than you my imagine.
PS4 have a huge list of games that you can play right now and devs are not giving up the PS4.

With PS4 portable Sony could increase the lifetime of the base PS4, devs would continue to make PS4 games as they already are doing. Don't even try to tell me otherwise because Jedi Survive is coming to old gen consoles, they still have a good install base.

You don't even know what the fuck are you talking about. PS4 portable would use the jaguar apu in a mobile fashion with btw AMD would sell their components to Sony at low price as the technology inside PS4 is outdated and already very very cheap.
Nobody is asking PS4 portable to use Ryzen. Jaguar APU plus a 720p screen would be perfect as PS4 tend to run games between 1080p/900p.

At least with PSVR2, it gives them something new to create and gamers a new way to play games. Why stay stuck in the PS4 era? And while the Steam Deck isn't made for ultra HD graphics, it can play the last games. That matters. And you couldn't make it and sale it for less than $350. No way!

PS4 software is still selling & a handheld would give it an extended life & devs can continue to enjoy a cheaper to develop for platform with a large userbase.

This would have made sense 3 years ago. Not now. It's not worth the R&D. We've moved on to the PS5 era.

onQ123

At least with PSVR2, it gives them something new to create and gamers a new way to play games. Why stay stuck in the PS4 era? And while the Steam Deck isn't made for ultra HD graphics, it can play the last games. That matters. And you couldn't make it and sale it for less than $350. No way!

This would have made sense 3 years ago. Not now. It's not worth the R&D. We've moved on to the PS5 era.
If Switch 2 wasn't coming right now would actually be a better time for it than 3 years ago because it should be able to fit in your pocket right about now

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
This is some WILD fan-fiction. They just okayed a 75 BILLION dollar acquisition for the business unit and named the head of the business unit CEO of the new expanded business.
Just? No. They okayed the $70 billion dollar acquisition 19 months ago -- when Xbox was still doing relatively well. Back then, Microsoft was happy and sharing news like these:

8riHi1z.jpg
AdHs8Wd.jpg

Since then, however, Xbox has been performing poorly.
  • Their console sales are down YoY by -22%
  • They haven't been able to share updated Game Pass subscribers because growth has stagnated
  • They have missed their revenue targets
  • Phil Spencer admitted in court that their business is not doing good.
Nuance and context is important.

Last edited:

Vox Machina

Banned
Just? No. They okayed the $70 billion dollar acquisition 19 months ago -- when Xbox was still doing relatively well. Back then, Microsoft was happy and sharing news like these:

8riHi1z.jpg
AdHs8Wd.jpg

Since then, however, Xbox has been performing poorly.
  • Their console sales are down YoY by -22%
  • They haven't been able to share updated Game Pass subscribers because growth has stagnated
  • They have missed their revenue targets
  • Phil Spencer admitted in court that their business is not doing good.
Nuance and context is important.

So is accuracy and veracity. Phil said in court that their business is currently missing their targets. Not that the business is doing badly. Targets are just that, targets. Doesn't mean that the business is a bad one to be in or that they're unprofitable (they aren't). Even Sony, who outwardly seem to be doing pretty good, is missing their own targets (for console sales).

We also know that most of the Game Pass growth is coming from PC, and that Game Pass on console may have peaked. The ActiBlizz merger directly invigorates their PC offerings. We also know that Xbox has had its budget increased. Directly contradicting the post I quoted.

What you're suggesting is just wild wishful thinking and is directly contradicted by what we know.

GreatnessRD

Why the FUCK is GTAV still a top 5 let alone top 2 seller for any month? Are you people insane? What is going on that folks haven't bought that game or got a copy for free over the last 10 years? Lmao

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
So is accuracy and veracity. Phil said in court that their business is currently missing their targets. Not that the business is doing badly. Targets are just that, targets. Doesn't mean that the business is a bad one to be in or that they're unprofitable (they aren't). Even Sony, who outwardly seem to be doing pretty good, is missing their own targets (for console sales).

We also know that most of the Game Pass growth is coming from PC, and that Game Pass on console may have peaked. The ActiBlizz merger directly invigorates their PC offerings. We also know that Xbox has had its budget increased. Directly contradicting the post I quoted.

What you're suggesting is just wild wishful thinking and is directly contradicted by what we know.
What I said was indeed accurate. Phil said both of these things; he didn't just talk about revenue.

Phil talking about missing revenue targets:

Phil talking about business not going strong:

You know I already have all the receipts in here 😛 https://www.neogaf.com/threads/ctrl...ols-we-found-during-ftc-vs-microsoft.1658430/

Last edited:

Vox Machina

Banned
What I said was indeed accurate. Phil said both of these things; he didn't just talk about revenue.

Phil talking about missing revenue targets:

Phil talking about business not going strong:

You know I already have all the receipts in here 😛 https://www.neogaf.com/threads/ctrl...ols-we-found-during-ftc-vs-microsoft.1658430/

Yeah they've definitely made a big push onto PC in the last couple years to diversify their business. ABK will accelerate that and give them a foothold in mobile too. Console market is shrinking so I get what he's saying about not being invested enough elsewhere.

Last edited:

X-Wing

Probably, but I would assume a new Bethesda game launching would drum up more sales of xboxes. These games come out every once in a blue moon.

I don't know. Not even Microsoft itself seems hyped for Starfield... The marketing is non-existent.
Last year I saw trains and buses covered in Kratos' and Atreus's faces before the launch of Ragnarok. I haven't seen Microsoft putting that kind of effort marketing Starfield so far.

mckmas8808

I don't know. Not even Microsoft itself seems hyped for Starfield... The marketing is non-existent.
Last year I saw trains and buses covered in Kratos' and Atreus's faces before the launch of Ragnarok. I haven't seen Microsoft putting that kind of effort marketing Starfield so far.

Makes you wonder why that is.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Yeah they've definitely made a big push onto PC in the last couple years to diversify their business. ABK will accelerate that and give them a foothold in mobile too. Console market is shrinking so I get what he's saying about not being invested enough elsewhere.
And all that's fair, and good for them, but my point stands. Their business has not gone the way they thought it would go by this point.

And there is reason to believe -- plenty of evidence and quotes by Phil -- that Microsoft may be demanding a better performance from them. There is also strong evidence that Microsoft has cut the Xbox budget by a meaningful amount.

All these price hikes seem to be because Microsoft is tightening the noose around the Xbox division.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
It is indeed baffling. There are only 2 possible reasons:
  1. They are not confident in Starfield. I don't believe that. This is their marquee release; they have to be 100% confident in Starfield.
  2. They are confident in Starfield, but they don't have the marketing budget to do that kind of marketing. I think this is the more likely option. But it's equally stupid. If they don't market Starfield, what else they will market! This is the game to market and plaster everywhere. But stupidly enough, whatever little marketing they have done so far has a huge tagline that says "NO CONSOLE REQUIRED". 🤦‍♂️

Vox Machina

Banned
And all that's fair, and good for them, but my point stands. Their business has not gone the way they thought it would go by this point.

And there is reason to believe -- plenty of evidence and quotes by Phil -- that Microsoft may be demanding a better performance from them. There is also strong evidence that Microsoft has cut the Xbox budget by a meaningful amount.

All these price hikes seem to be because Microsoft is tightening the noose around the Xbox division.

Gonna need a source on this one other than speculation, because it was my understanding that they've had their budget increased. All we know from the FTC trial was that Microsoft is trying to increase the profit margins on the Xbox business unit to match their profit margins across their other business units. This explains all the increased investment.

Last edited:

MrTired

It's one of the ways they're balancing out making there games available at no additional cost on there sub service.

Xbox are using the service as a marketing tool and saving the money they would spend on traditional marketing of individual games. They are get other companies to foot the cost i.e Samsung advertising Starfield in there promotion gaminghub/cloud gaming.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Gonna need a source on this one other than speculation, because it was my understanding that they've had their budget increased
First, my original comment started with me saying, "I have this theory," so it has all been speculation, of course. But there's plenty of evidence and hints:
  • Xbox marketing budget got cut. It was reported by Andy and Jez.
  • Xbox console price increased.
  • Game Pass price increased.
  • Game Pass conversion ratio nerfed.
  • Game Pass free trial offer nerfed.
  • Significantly reduced quality and quantity of games joining Game Pass this year.
  • Xbox Reward points became difficult and more "expensive" (I heard about this; can't confirm)
  • Xbox had to lay-off people from development studios, including Bethesda.
  • Xbox laid off people from their Cloud teams. xCloud queues are now a thing.
  • Phil Spencer said (paraphrasing) that Xbox needs to take care of its own ROI. Microsoft now treats it as its own division/company when it comes to revenue and profits.
  • Xbox revenue decreased.
  • Starfield now has 0 marketing.
Plenty of evidence and hints and dots to connect.

Last edited:
It doesn't look like Starfield is building hype for Xbox.

I wouldn't expect it to move hardware a month before release and it will only have a modest positive effect for September, or a good one depending on how dire XBS sales were in Sept 2022.

The problem is also Starfield will have some shine taken off its release as BG3 releases on PS5 the same day and it looks like one of the best games ever made.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It is indeed baffling. There are only 2 possible reasons:
  1. They are not confident in Starfield. I don't believe that. This is their marquee release; they have to be 100% confident in Starfield.
  2. They are confident in Starfield, but they don't have the marketing budget to do that kind of marketing. I think this is the more likely option. But it's equally stupid. If they don't market Starfield, what else they will market! This is the game to market and plaster everywhere. But stupidly enough, whatever little marketing they have done so far has a huge tagline that says "NO CONSOLE REQUIRED". 🤦‍♂️
Or 3. They care about GamePass numbers doing a big sustained bump and they do not care as much about console or game sales as they expect this to drive subscribers (think Disney+).

Vox Machina

Banned
First, my original comment started with me saying, "I have this theory," so it has all been speculation, of course. But there's plenty of evidence and hints:
  • Xbox console price increased.
  • Game Pass price increased.
  • Game Pass conversion ratio nerfed.
  • Game Pass free trial offer nerfed.
  • Significantly reduced quality and quantity of games joining Game Pass this year.
  • Xbox Reward points became difficult and more "expensive" (I heard about this; can't confirm)
  • Xbox had to lay-off people from development studios, including Bethesda.
  • Xbox laid off people from their Cloud teams. xCloud queues are now a thing.
  • Phil Spencer said (paraphrasing) that Xbox needs to take care of its own ROI. Microsoft now treats it as its own division/company when it comes to revenue and profits.
  • Xbox revenue decreased.
  • Starfield now has 0 marketing.
Plenty of evidence and hints and dots to connect.

Check my edit. Most of these items point to Microsoft looking to increase the business units profit margin. Something we know they're attempting to do from the FTC trial. Some are just untrue or have nothing to do with the Xbox business in particular.

That's funny 'cause Jez was the one I was referencing as having said Xbox got it budget increased.

Microsoft now treats it as its own division/company when it comes to revenue and profits.

I didn't read that as anything new. That's probably been that way for a while.

In any case, since it's all guesswork. I'll just leave my opinion as that investing nearly $85B in a business unit over the last few years, to me, reads as nothing other than a massive increase in that business' stature within the company. It looks like Microsoft is massively investing in Xbox.

X-Wing

It's one of the ways they're balancing out making there games available at no additional cost on there sub service.

Xbox are using the service as a marketing tool and saving the money they would spend on traditional marketing of individual games. They are get other companies to foot the cost i.e Samsung advertising Starfield in there promotion gaminghub/cloud gaming.

Do you honestly think Microsoft didn't pay for that?

Top Bottom